Shorty

House buying is the worst

On 11/10/2021 at 4:44 AM, Will said:

That’s OK, there definitely seem to be more things to be mindful of with new builds. I do wonder if a lot of that is down to the fact that “new build” is such a massive all encompassing term that anything bad with any element of any new house gets lumped together with “new build bad” type thinking? As you say, so long as we look into everything properly there shouldn’t be any nasty surprises.

First thing we need to do is speak to an advisor and see what is actually possible for us. Affordability shouldn’t be too much of a problem, but given we now have no financial history there I’m not sure what issues that will throw up.

It's simply because my dad has literally worked with all the major housing builders in the country (it feels a bit like "my dad owns this company" but honestly his CV is ridiculous). So I've heard just so much about building houses! Good luck it's such a pain. But you'll get something nice I'm sure. 

Mortgage advisor will be sending me our options tomorrow - very excited to find out how everything is looking. We’ve been keeping an eye on what is available over the last month and definitely have a pretty good idea on what we’re looking for now. Hopefully our wants and the mortgages available will align for us.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:32 PM, Will said:

Mortgage advisor will be sending me our options tomorrow - very excited to find out how everything is looking. We’ve been keeping an eye on what is available over the last month and definitely have a pretty good idea on what we’re looking for now. Hopefully our wants and the mortgages available will align for us.

Forgot to update on this. Details came back and it looks like we can get a mortgage as soon as we’re back in the UK for around about the amount we were expecting. As expected there are some issues with buying flats but they were within what we’re able to do so doesn’t actually cause us any problems.

The flat we were quite keen on has been sold which is a shame, but lead us to look at some other properties. Currently really like a 3 bed semi which has had a big extension put on the back which adds a huge open plan living area. It also has a garden office at the bottom of a pretty sizable garden which is great as we wouldn’t need to use a bedroom for my office. The only downside is it’s a little further from town that we’d like to be. I’m pretty sure it will be long gone by the time we get back, but at least we have more ideas on the kind of things we’re keen on.

• Like 1

When I was looking, places had multiple offers before their first week on the market.

We're still waiting for the chain. Looking like it will probably be January now. 

1 hour ago, Cube said:

When I was looking, places had multiple offers before their first week on the market.

Yeah, I’m sure it will be exactly the same for me. We’re not in a huge rush and the longer it goes on the more money we have, would just be nice not to have to waste too much money on rent.