NEurope
Shorty

House buying is the worst

On 11/10/2021 at 4:44 AM, Will said:

That’s OK, there definitely seem to be more things to be mindful of with new builds. I do wonder if a lot of that is down to the fact that “new build” is such a massive all encompassing term that anything bad with any element of any new house gets lumped together with “new build bad” type thinking? As you say, so long as we look into everything properly there shouldn’t be any nasty surprises.

First thing we need to do is speak to an advisor and see what is actually possible for us. Affordability shouldn’t be too much of a problem, but given we now have no financial history there I’m not sure what issues that will throw up.

It's simply because my dad has literally worked with all the major housing builders in the country (it feels a bit like "my dad owns this company" but honestly his CV is ridiculous). So I've heard just so much about building houses! Good luck it's such a pain. But you'll get something nice I'm sure. 

Mortgage advisor will be sending me our options tomorrow - very excited to find out how everything is looking. We’ve been keeping an eye on what is available over the last month and definitely have a pretty good idea on what we’re looking for now. Hopefully our wants and the mortgages available will align for us.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:32 PM, Will said:

Mortgage advisor will be sending me our options tomorrow - very excited to find out how everything is looking. We’ve been keeping an eye on what is available over the last month and definitely have a pretty good idea on what we’re looking for now. Hopefully our wants and the mortgages available will align for us.

Forgot to update on this. Details came back and it looks like we can get a mortgage as soon as we’re back in the UK for around about the amount we were expecting. As expected there are some issues with buying flats but they were within what we’re able to do so doesn’t actually cause us any problems.

The flat we were quite keen on has been sold which is a shame, but lead us to look at some other properties. Currently really like a 3 bed semi which has had a big extension put on the back which adds a huge open plan living area. It also has a garden office at the bottom of a pretty sizable garden which is great as we wouldn’t need to use a bedroom for my office. The only downside is it’s a little further from town that we’d like to be. I’m pretty sure it will be long gone by the time we get back, but at least we have more ideas on the kind of things we’re keen on.

• Like 1

When I was looking, places had multiple offers before their first week on the market.

We're still waiting for the chain. Looking like it will probably be January now. 

1 hour ago, Cube said:

When I was looking, places had multiple offers before their first week on the market.

Yeah, I’m sure it will be exactly the same for me. We’re not in a huge rush and the longer it goes on the more money we have, would just be nice not to have to waste too much money on rent.

Finally have a decision in principle and it’s come in well above the general value of the stuff we’re interested in.

Understandably not much has been coming on the market these last few weeks. We have a few properties shortlisted already and will get properly on the viewings early next year. Quite looking forward to getting properly into it.

• Like 1

So I am starting to see why this is such an annoyance to people…

I don’t know why but it seems like agents really have no interest in actually selling houses? I’m a first-time buyer, with a 10% to 20% deposit depending on which property we’re looking at, a higher salary than most (I guess), a mortgage in principle in my hand and still it’s a total nightmare to actually get viewings of properties. I arranged to see some properties tomorrow, times etc. were all set and earlier today the agent called me to ask if I still wanted to sort something out. Errr yeah? Oh, well I’ll check with the owner then! What? We already agreed on this a week ago!

I registered my interest for a new build, had a few emails with the agent, requested to view (having had to go through an affordability check) and then nothing for a week. Eventually, they mailed me back saying oh you just book a viewing separately on our website. Stupid me had been assuming that as I’m in direct contact with an agent they would actually help me move things forward. Of course, now there are no slots to align with the other viewings I have booked and I need to make a separate trip to see them.

It’s got to the point where I have a mortgage advisor calling agents for me as they’re so terrible at their jobs.

The whole thing is a total nightmare and we haven’t even gotten to the difficult bit yet.

In my experience (renting mind you) estate agents only really care about big property owners. We complained to ours once because our landlord was rubbish and they wouldn't do anything because they were friends with him.

The chain is currently in "final enquiries". Turn around may be quicker than expected as the target is still for the end of the month. I should probably look at starting to pack...

Always the same, you wait and wait and it seems like it's going to take forever, then suddenly you've got a date and it's a mad rush.

You will make life easier if you start packing/clearing things out asap!

4 hours ago, Shorty said:

You will make life easier if you start packing/clearing things out asap!

The most difficult part is deciding which things we'll definitely need or not need. I suppose I can pack up all consoles (except Series S), as well as going down to a plate each in the kitchen. Was planning on continuing with Sonic stuff after Mass Effect, but that can wait until after the move.

I've ordered a load of Ikea bags for board games, as they're better for transport of them than boxes.

I got a memory on my facebook of a picture of my flat filled with loads of boxes. 18th january 6 years ago. (Mortgage was approved 31/12)

Didn't get to move til 14th June -_-

We tentatively reserved a new-build flat today. Perfect location and a really good size with really nice finishing on everything in there. We have until Wednesday to confirm everything so now I’m just really hoping the mortgage is able to go through without us needing to put down a bigger deposit.

Heading over tomorrow to sign the documents and it will all be confirmed. They think if all goes well we should get the keys in four weeks' time!

• Like 1

Had a proposed completion date. I should have a house in just over a week.

Edit: Nope, they've changed their mind and it will be a few more weeks.

• Like 1

Damn, that must be annoying - any reason for the delay?

We got the first round of things signed today and paid our reservation fee. Looks like it’s really happening!

18 hours ago, Will said:

Damn, that must be annoying - any reason for the delay?

We got the first round of things signed today and paid our reservation fee. Looks like it’s really happening!

It's to do with when someone can sort out removal companies. It may end up being less of a delay than we thought - the negotiator is using our mortgage expiry date (even though an extension is extremely likely) to push them forward. 

I like the sound of having a negotiator! I’m going to try and have one in every aspect of life from now on.

I like the sound of having a negotiator! I’m going to try and have one in every aspect of life from now on.
Ah_The_Negotiator_Banner.jpg
  • Haha 1

Our mortgage has been issued following the bank's valuation so looks like it’s definitely happening. Hopefully, the legal side won’t be too bad as the solicitors have already done a few places in the building. Really looking forward to finally being in our own place again, just need to find a chunk of money to furnish the place.

Looks like the 9th February will be the completion. Chan is now agreed (due to negotiator using our mortgage date), insurance is in place and funds have been authorised for release. Got a removal company booked for the 10th Feb. Need to sort relevant services and stuff. 

Today is so incredibly stressful. It's completion day, but still waiting for exchange of contracts.

Edit: all done! Getting keys now. 

• Like 3

On 09/02/2022 at 10:03 AM, Cube said:

Today is so incredibly stressful. It's completion day, but still waiting for exchange of contracts.

Edit: all done! Getting keys now. 

Congratulations! Its finally done! :hug:

How’s the move-in going, @Cube? Hope it’s all smooth.

For us, we’re just waiting on confirmation from the bank they’re OK with the cladding report, and for a few solicitor's checks to come through (both of which should be a formality) and we’ll be ready to exchange. The good part of buying a finished new build is that everything should be very quick from now on. With a bit of luck we’ll be in by the end of the month.

My mom is buying a place and put an offer in and got a survey report thing back the other day and the electrics need doing, something else and there may be asbestos in the ceiling so she's gutted as she's not sure if it's worth it. Apparently previous sales have fallen though and she thinks this may be why. When I last spoke to her she said she was going to think about it and maybe offer a lower price to account for the work needed.