NEurope
Shorty

House buying is the worst

1 hour ago, Blade said:

Its not very often that I enter this thread as it is guaranteed gloomy reading.

Not all lawyers are bad. Well the ones not practising conveyancing anyhow :cheeky:

It is very much like saying "All x person who does this job are shit" really, but I stand firm on my belief that I have yet to meet an agent who is not completely useless :p

1 hour ago, nightwolf said:

It is very much like saying "All x person who does this job are shit" really, but I stand firm on my belief that I have yet to meet an agent who is not completely useless :p

Except @Blade, right? Riiiiiiiiiight?

• Thanks 1

Finally exchanged today, completion next week.

Had some final faff due to conveyancers suddenly deciding they needed more stuff.

Best thing is, the Tories just abolished stamp duty :D Just saved a good few grand.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Serebii said:

Finally exchanged today, completion next week.

Had some final faff due to conveyancers suddenly deciding they needed more stuff.

Best thing is, the Tories just abolished stamp duty :D Just saved a good few grand.

You couldn't have bought at a better time. No stamp duty and you'll avoid the inevitable increase in house prices.

5 hours ago, Charlie said:

You couldn't have bought at a better time. No stamp duty and you'll avoid the inevitable increase in house prices.

No longer angry about the delays haha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raining_again said:

Wow delay worked out in your favour! nice! 

Gives more money to spend on the house :D

Money all sent. Easily the most expensive thing I have ever bought.

Now just the faff of getting internet, curtains, furniture etc.

5 hours ago, Serebii said:

Easily the most expensive thing I have ever bought.

593208.gif?b64lines=IFdFTEwsIERVSC4=

:p
Congrats though, exciting times!

• Like 1

My girlfriend has moved her stuff in so far, I won't be doing mine until Internet is installed due to the requirements for my job

DP4_kx4WkAAg-xS.jpg

She has so much stuff, it's insane. Unfortunately, the sofa her mum gave us won't fit properly

Edited by Serebii
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why is everything so expensive. Why must curtains cost like £70 for a pair? What the frak is with being a grownup?

Blergh

ive got a room without any curtains 1.5 years later lol.... protip they actually insulate more than you'd think...

im fed up of this weather i want to go out and enjoy my garden :( 

When I was home I was talking to a friend about this kind of stuff.  I said I idly looked at a new build down the road (just to be nosy) and for a one bedroom the deposit was £48,000.  He said he was looking at a 2 up 2 down that outright was £107,000.  So for nearly double what I'd pay in deposit he'd get a whole place.

I did, and have previously, consider buying a place round there and renting it to my mother (as she rents anyway) as an investment, but given that I'm current on a part-time temporary contract and doing some contracting work I doubt banks would really consider me viable lending material.

I think I'm just going to book flights instead.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

When I was home I was talking to a friend about this kind of stuff.  I said I idly looked at a new build down the road (just to be nosy) and for a one bedroom the deposit was £48,000.  He said he was looking at a 2 up 2 down that outright was £107,000.  So for nearly double what I'd pay in deposit he'd get a whole place.

I did, and have previously, consider buying a place round there and renting it to my mother (as she rents anyway) as an investment, but given that I'm current on a part-time temporary contract and doing some contracting work I doubt banks would really consider me viable lending material.

I think I'm just going to book flights instead.

Why don't you sell your second organs to help you get the funds for a house. You know, left kidney, left lung, left penis, etc.

• Like 1

The deposit in my home town would be fine (in London it's lol no), but I don't think they'd lend to me with my current income. At present I have no proof I will be earning anything after September (I know I will be fine, but I can't guarantee that for a bank). Plus you can't include expected rent in your earnings so it's not like I could even say "I have a guaranteed tenant"

On 12/9/2017 at 9:29 AM, Serebii said:

Why is everything so expensive. Why must curtains cost like £70 for a pair? What the frak is with being a grownup?

Blergh

Places like B&M and Homebargains really are your friend. 

If you're willing to go and mooch around you can actually find some really nice things for a lot less. I always mix those two "brands" with next etc. 

Once day I'll set-up my home interiors on the cheap website/business, but for now...::shrug:

16 hours ago, Ashley said:

The deposit in my home town would be fine (in London it's lol no), but I don't think they'd lend to me with my current income. At present I have no proof I will be earning anything after September (I know I will be fine, but I can't guarantee that for a bank). Plus you can't include expected rent in your earnings so it's not like I could even say "I have a guaranteed tenant"

Have you met up with a financial/mortgage advisor? I was completely clueless about how to even begin until one of our friends recommended a guy to us. It allowed us to work out a plan and what to do next, where to look, where was affordable, etc. Worth doing?

3 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Have you met up with a financial/mortgage advisor? I was completely clueless about how to even begin until one of our friends recommended a guy to us. It allowed us to work out a plan and what to do next, where to look, where was affordable, etc. Worth doing?

I looked on Skyscanner for flights to Tokyo earlier in case you were wondering which way I was going :p

I may do.  I just wish there was one on the branch on campus, would make life a lot easier if I could do it during work time.

14 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I looked on Skyscanner for flights to Tokyo earlier in case you were wondering which way I was going :p

I may do.  I just wish there was one on the branch on campus, would make life a lot easier if I could do it during work time.

I want to go to Tokyo. N-E meet? :D

You could ask the person to meet at your place or in a café or your place or something. Our person came over and had tea and biscuits with us. I wouldn't have been able to go into a branch either due to work. It was quite useful, even just as a starting point and to talk about all of the available options. @Eenuh is probably the better out of the two of us in terms of finances and stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I want to go to Tokyo. N-E meet? :D

You could ask the person to meet at your place or in a café or your place or something. Our person came over and had tea and biscuits with us. I wouldn't have been able to go into a branch either due to work. It was quite useful, even just as a starting point and to talk about all of the available options. @Eenuh is probably the better out of the two of us in terms of finances and stuff. 

Let's be real, she's the better out of the two of you for pretty much everything isn't she? ;)

I might try and arrange an appointment just out of curiosity.  Shame I didn't think of this earlier as the bank is not open again until Tuesday. Oh well.