NEurope
Shorty

House buying is the worst

@Agent Gibbs

Sounds like an absolute nightmare.

I would be interested what firm in Leeds you chose to instruct. Also you can take out insurance to cover your expenses in the event of the other side pulling out.

@Agent Gibbs

Sounds like an absolute nightmare.

I would be interested what firm in Leeds you chose to instruct. Also you can take out insurance to cover your expenses in the event of the other side pulling out.

I've sent you a PM with specific names, you might find that useful in your line of work i suppose.

Its mad really, theres another house on that street thats come up for sale,certainly as nice inside, with a far better interior layout downstairs for £167k and theres another which needs some work for £155k but has a little more land and looking at recently sold properties one thats in the same condition with 3 times the rear garden just sold last week for £165k (wish i'd seen that, but i suppose i wasn't looking then). Got viewings booked for the two on sale still

I feel for the next poor sap that they are going to string along, but then in the next breath i do like the idea of them never selling their house

We've signed our contract and are just waiting for our vendors to do the same. If only they weren't the slowest fucking people on the entire planet!

Our preference would be to move in before Christmas. It's pretty disappointing that we're not already in by now. I'll be seriously surprised if we're in by then.

I wouldn't say the process is stressful. Just fucking annoying more than anything. We seem to be spending a lot of time just waiting on people.

Are you waiting or calling and nagging? They will leave you at the bottom of the pile if you don't get in touch.

Are you waiting or calling and nagging? They will leave you at the bottom of the pile if you don't get in touch.

Call who, the vendors? It's them that are holding things up, everything is ready on our side and our solicitor said it's just their side/their solicitors that are being slow. She contacted their solicitors again on Thursday, but we haven't heard back yet.

Your solicitors, they will chase their solicitors, who will chase them.

I have spoken to our solicitor last week, when we signed the contract. The problem is that the vendor's solicitors are just some online company that they were "recommended" through Purplebricks, so they seem to be quite difficult to get a hold of. Our solicitor was not impressed with them at all.

I contacted the vendors directly about 3 weeks ago to ask what is going on. They said at the time they were waiting for some report to check if the house they are buying will be suitable for solar panels. She said she would contact me once she has an update, but haven't heard back yet. Might have to send her another message...

I think @Raining_again jinxed us when she said we would be in before her. :P

My solicitor must have rued the day he took me on. I was on the phone pretty much daily. Mine took 6 months to go through!!

Would never go through those cheap rate agents, had dealings with one, took them a week to get back to me about a simple viewing!

As of yesterday, we've been living in our house for exactly a year. It seems like only yesterday that our living room looked like this:

12004063_10156121857495341_7027179458586106689_n.jpg?oh=81c4e5aea464e8e39f98489c08406cf8&oe=589A87D2

I feel like you need to follow that up with an 'after' photo.

Otherwise you could have just been living in rubble for 12 months.

The problem is that the vendor's solicitors are just some online company

We've had the exact same issue with the vendor using some online company.

We started the process back in May, finally got a moving date for the middle of this month. :bowdown:

*itshappening.gif*

We've had the exact same issue with the vendor using some online company.

We started the process back in May, finally got a moving date for the middle of this month. :bowdown:

*itshappening.gif*

That sounds very similar to us! Started in May as well, we now just heard that mayyyyyyybe we might complete the process at the end of the month. Maybe. Still waiting to hear back!

Just tried to arrange a viewing on a flat. I haven't seen a mortgage advisor yet as I'm still weighing up my options (but based on my salary and credit score I definitely could afford it). The guy refused to give me a viewing without a mortgage in principle or meeting his mortgage broker. He said I would be wasting his time otherwise. I told him not to bother and hung up.

In fairness if someone was coming to view my house I wouldn't want to waste my time on anyone who hadn't seen a mortgage advisor yet. Browse online and see what you could afford, sure. But make appointments, have the vendor out of the house, give them hope that their new purchase might gain traction? It's not the same as renting where they're 90% likely to get it as long as they have a job. You need to be able to prove you have savings, insurance options, months of regular income, a good credit rating etc..

If you saw a place and you wanted it, you wouldn't be able to put in an offer because you would have no real idea what you could afford (even if you know you have 10%, doesnt mean you can afford the fees as well, or the monthly repayments).

Edited by Shorty

In fairness if someone was coming to view my house I wouldn't want to waste my time on anyone who hadn't seen a mortgage advisor yet. Browse online and see what you could afford, sure. But make appointments, have the vendor out of the house, give them hope that their new purchase might gain traction? It's not the same as renting where they're 90% likely to get it as long as they have a job. You need to be able to prove you have savings, insurance options, months of regular income, a good credit rating etc..

If you saw a place and you wanted it, you wouldn't be able to put in an offer because you would have no real idea what you could afford (even if you know you have 10%, doesnt mean you can afford the fees as well, or the monthly repayments).

I get that, but at the same time before I buy anywhere I'd view dozens of properties. So the chance of me buying any one in particular is low. So I don't think the "getting their hopes up" argument is valid.

I do know that I could afford the flat, even if I can't prove it; I have more than 10% deposit, the list price is significantly under my upper borrowing limit from online mortgage calculators, my experian credit score is 975/999, I have no dependents so my outgoings are low.

The property is vacant so it's not like I'll be inconveniencing the owners, only the estate agent (and that's their job).

Also the property has been on the market since December 2015. If it was highly sought after then I'd understand, but clearly they're struggling to sell it (it's right next to the railway lines and the lease will need renewing in the not too distant future) so I can't believe they're being so picky.

Personally I just think it's terrible customer service, and to be honest what I've come to expect from estate agents and letting agents.

If you'd stayed on the line they were probably about to try selling you mortgage advice through themselves, all estate agents do.

If you'd stayed on the line they were probably about to try selling you mortgage advice through themselves, all estate agents do.

That was it. They'd already arranged a time but then he started going on about his mortgage adviser. When I said I didn't want to meet him he said I'd have to or provide a mortgage in principle.

I feel like you need to follow that up with an 'after' photo.

Otherwise you could have just been living in rubble for 12 months.

Seeing as we finally finished the mantelpiece at the weekend, I figured I'd actually reply to this.

15000706_10157776244080341_3946162559875627695_o.jpg

My Dad managed to find a nice, aged piece of wood for the shelf, so he varnished it for us to match our other furniture.

goafer is that a real log burning stove or electric / gas?

It's just an electric one we picked up to fill the gap. The wood basket/ornaments hide the wire that plugs in behind the wood basket.

We rarely use it, as it's not really up to the task of heating the room. It's just for aesthetics. I'd love a real log burner, and we could re-open the chimney, but I'd be paranoid about having a roaring fire inside the house, even if it was a planned one.

I'm getting so stressed out by all this house stuff! :(

We are supposedly exchanging on Monday and completing on Friday, but we are still waiting on confirmation that it is even happening! My solicitor just told me that she hasn't heard anything yet as it will all depend on the purchase of our sellers and if the tenant there moves out in time...

I have just messaged the seller directly to ask her if her sale has gone through and if they have signed their contracts... hope she will reply soon!

Seriously this is just ridiculous though, how are we supposed to arrange anything for moving and buying furniture etc? I was going to have my parents come over from Belgium to help with the move and painting and all that, but now that is impossible with less than a week away (they don't even know yet that we might be completing next week, as we still aren't sure yet it's happening)...

So pissed off by all this! It will be half a year soon since we started all this...

My ex-housemate had the same issue, he was waiting on the seller to move out the old tenants and had to be out himself by the 26th Oct. It was a pain in the arse.

In the end he got a call just as he was starting to really lose his rag. Don't give up pestering them Eenuh!

(on a related/non related note we totally need a show off your house/room tours thread)

And this is the easy move. Just think what it will be like when the chain goes both ways and you have to move out and move in all in one day, the same day as your whole chain, hand over your old keys to new sellers and receive your new keys on the same day etc etc D:

Jeez my move would have been a disaster. Thankfully it was a no chain sale and i was patient. My rental contract was just month to month. Everyone I knew said they would have pulled out long before it finalised. Ended up taking 6 months