NEurope
Shorty

House buying is the worst

Got my Help to Buy ISA letter today, talk about skin of my teeth, dropped it off at the Solicitors, only a couple of steps left now......

Wrong thread? :D

My first house was a repossession sold by a bank, and they wanted a quick turnaround. The process took 6/7 weeks and that was as quick as it can ever go I think. Anything else would be mental.

@Shorty

I'd say 3 months from acceptance of offer to completion is average. So 3.5 months isn't too bad.

3.5 months includes finding a house/flat I actually want to buy. Maybe I'm being too optimistic.

At what stage do you need the full deposit? I was thinking of not looking until the new year as that's when I'll have more money but if I don't need it until March/April anyway I may as well start earlier...

I had to prove the funds for the deposit existed, with bank statements, before I got the mortgage offer.

But I didn't have to pay it until the week of completion.

I had to prove the funds for the deposit existed, with bank statements, before I got the mortgage offer.

But I didn't have to pay it until the week of completion.

Bollocks...

So I found the option on Zoopla to contact all estate agents in a certain search area. Decided to use it yesterday and explained what we are looking for. I specifically mentioned that we want a house with a garden and a garage or downstairs study/bedroom we can use for sports/weight equipment...

I don't think any of these estate agents can read. So far all the properties that have been sent, do not fit our search criteria at all. None of them have a garage or anything similar, some don't have a garden, some are flats, some are above the price range I specified...

Think I'm just better off searching for properties myself. :P

I think they can read, but they just want to shift stuff.

I can remember when my friend was looking and I went with they took us to one and said "now this is [a lot] more than your budget but thought we'd show you". Was a nice waste of time.

So I found the option on Zoopla to contact all estate agents in a certain search area. Decided to use it yesterday and explained what we are looking for. I specifically mentioned that we want a house with a garden and a garage or downstairs study/bedroom we can use for sports/weight equipment...

I don't think any of these estate agents can read. So far all the properties that have been sent, do not fit our search criteria at all. None of them have a garage or anything similar, some don't have a garden, some are flats, some are above the price range I specified...

Think I'm just better off searching for properties myself. :P

Can't remember if I already said this or you already mentioned it, but on Zoopla you can save a search with all those criteria, draw an exact area of places you'd be happy to live and get immediate email updates when anything comes in that fits that. This is what I did and how I found every place I viewed, including the one I took. Rightmove can do exactly the same thing but doesn't have keywords, so you can tick a box for parking but you can't enter "garage".

Can't remember if I already said this or you already mentioned it, but on Zoopla you can save a search with all those criteria, draw an exact area of places you'd be happy to live and get immediate email updates when anything comes in that fits that. This is what I did and how I found every place I viewed, including the one I took. Rightmove can do exactly the same thing but doesn't have keywords, so you can tick a box for parking but you can't enter "garage".

I know, I already get daily email updates from both sites (have done that for the last... year or longer). It's just that some people on here said going to the estate agents is better as they show you properties before they go online. But so far they haven't shown me anything I haven't seen already. :)

Starting to think that finding a decent place with a garage might be too difficult/limited for our price range. Not sure what other options we have though.

Yeah for me wanting a garage meant I had to move out of the nicer parts of the city :/ they add a fair bit to the value of the property. What do you want the garage for, anyway? Could building one be a possibility?

Yeah for me wanting a garage meant I had to move out of the nicer parts of the city :/ they add a fair bit to the value of the property. What do you want the garage for, anyway? Could building one be a possibility?

We would need the garage (or any type of downstairs room really) for Jim's weights. Planning to buy a power cage as well. So basically make our own mini-gym, where my crosstrainer could go as well.

And possibly if it's big enough, have some space for Jim's future drum kit. :P

Most houses here don't seem to have the space to build a garage next to it. I've also looked at getting an outdoor room built (one of those wooden things), but that would cost at least £12000-£15000 and might be subject to planning permission. Plus the garden would have to be big enough as well, not many houses have big gardens here.

Dunno about down where you are but in my area, basements are fairly common and would suit for those things? Although some have ceilings too low for a power cage.

Dunno about down where you are but in my area, basements are fairly common and would suit for those things? Although some have ceilings too low for a power cage.

Nope, only seen one place with a basement (was a bungalow) and the ceiling was indeed too low. And the house a bit out of our budget anyway. :P

Not seen any other places that have a basement, I figured it's just something that's not done in the UK, but I guess it's regional?

I used to live in a basement!

And technically our flat is classed as a basement flat now.

I wonder if it's based on when the house was built...

I have an empty house to move into, neither of us on a chain, and this has been ongoing since just before christmas.

My sister was in a similar situation and her solicitor took 3 weeks.

Really is just luck of the draw as to how long it takes!

Dunno if this is even a legal possibility but, have you considered asking the current owner if you could move in now and pay them rent until you get in officially?

I'm not in a position where i have to immediately vacate my flat (thankfully) so I think that may just complicate matters. I'm hoping it will be a simple adjustment document that Land registry need to do, & won't take that long!

Ha, they literally called up and said "we just need your authorisation to complete", that's probably the word I should've used. Am I daring to believe I'll actually have the keys in hand tomorrow ^_^

Then use them to stab all the sons of bitches that caused drama.

drama ramaaaaa

solicitor suggested i go ahead with contracts with a caveat that the boundary gets sorted..... He seems happy enough as long as he gets the letter to confirm that the vendors solicitor has sent the application.