NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Revision tips

Well, it's that time of year again for many a UK student.

Anyone got any last minute tips, tricks, miracles or complete nightmares to yell about? Would be much appreciated:)

I think it depends what kind of learner you are. I do better with repetition so I tended to just write the same thing over and over again until it lodged in my brain. Mnemonics work well too.

I use Anki for language learning as it lets you build flashcards. Sometimes the process of that (thinking of the question/area, finding a suitable related picture etc) helps lodge it in as well.

What kind of subjects are you taking?

I think it depends what kind of learner you are. I do better with repetition so I tended to just write the same thing over and over again until it lodged in my brain. Mnemonics work well too.

I use Anki for language learning as it lets you build flashcards. Sometimes the process of that (thinking of the question/area, finding a suitable related picture etc) helps lodge it in as well.

What kind of subjects are you taking?

Yeah...I'm not too sure what kind of learner I am yet. Currently, I'm completing packs for each subject where I've pooled all of the information together and will be doing 24 hours+ of past papers a week.

And AS Mathematics, Philosophy and Accounting exams are the ones I've got coming up, as well as an internal Physics exam.

trying to not go down the route of failure is really making me think about the possibility of failure

Mathematics, Physics and Accounting are at least 'cold and hard' subjects somewhat. You can learn formulas, rules etc (as opposed to Philosophy where you will learn ideologies, thinkers etc and have to write a response to an issue). This makes it easier to study the syllabus, break it into chunks/sections and then focus on those and really breaking it down to a more granular level.

Part of the problem of revision is it can seem overwhelming. There's 1/2 years of work to try and recall and that's daunting. Try and break it down into more manageable chunks. We don't learn a language by trying to know all the words and rules at once. We do it piece-by-piece and connect the dots.

There's tests you can do online to see what kind of learner you are. Not done them so can't recommend, but might be able to help: https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=what+kind+of+learner+am+I

Sign in to follow this