NEurope

Would be interesting to do a comparison to see the cost of a ~300 expenditure on a console every 3 years compared with buying a gaming PC and keeping it updated.

Someone with knowledge do that ;)

59e9f10b78c84422898c35304c2a70e4.png

If a lot of developers aren't happy with this then why has this whole thing been given the green light? Very baffling situation.

Who is Colin Moriarty?

Seriously? ::shrug:

He runs Kinda Funny Games with Greg Miller. They both ran the PlayStation podcast ( Beyond ) for years on IGN, before leaving to form KFG. They then started PS I Love You XOXO, another dedicated ( and most popular ) PlayStation podcast. He's a HUGE Sony fan ( they both are ) and they have a crazy amount of contacts in the industry.

Seriously? ::shrug:

He runs Kinda Funny Games with Greg Miller. They both ran the PlayStation podcast ( Beyond ) for years on IGN, before leaving to form KFG. They then started PS I Love You XOXO, another dedicated ( and most popular ) PlayStation podcast. He's a HUGE Sony fan ( they both are ) and they have a crazy amount of contacts in the industry.

Yeah I just hadnt heard of him before thats all. I dont watch any of Kinda Funny Games Stuff.

I don't give a shit about this PS4.5K thing and I don't really get why there's such an uproar about it. @Eenuh did a good job earlier and I agree with pretty much everything that she said.

• We have no 4K TVs and aren't planning on getting one anytime soon. Can't say I know anybody who will either.
  • There doesn't seem to be a single game (let alone any of worth) that are being developed solely for the PS4K/.5, so there's no reason to purchase one.
  • Games will continue to be released on PS4 in an identical state to the way that they currently are. Developers (believe it or not) are not thick as shit and will want to capitalise on the install base that is already there, which will guarantee them sales.
  • Can't be arsed spending money on something that may or may not be an incremental release. This is NOT the PS5. This isn't what the PS3 was to the PS2 or what that console was to the original PlayStation.
  • We're satisfied with the product we've already got and the line-up in-store for the future.

Anyone would think that Sony effectively cancelled all support for the system overnight. If there's one thing we can all guarantee, it's that the PS4 will get the games. That's why I jumped on board because the install base is huge and the audience is there. There's a reason why the brand is strong and the gamers keep coming back. All of the information we've seen today will not change any of that. Certainly not from my perspective.

Exactly. Games will continue running the same as they are on PS4's. Don't own a PS4K and you'll be none the wiser... despite all the comparison videos that IGN will run.

This is a very strange situation though if what @Hero\-of\-Time posted is correct.

It might be like the New 3DS then and developers won't use it.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I think cost and any potential trade-in deal will play a big part in the consumer side, but the developer side remains to be seen I guess!

@Eenuh did a good job earlier and I agree with pretty much everything that she said.

You're ready for married life I see.

I might get one in a few years if it (as i suspect it might be) ends up being the cheapest way to play 4k films.

You're ready for married life I see.

It is a phrase that I have studied very well.

Exactly. Games will continue running the same as they are on PS4's. Don't own a PS4K and you'll be none the wiser... despite all the comparison videos that IGN will run.

This is a very strange situation though if what @Hero\-of\-Time posted is correct.

Comparison videos running in 4K on most likely our sub-4K displays no less. :heh:

I think I'll end up waiting until the PS4k is out until I invest in a PS4. I'm currently without a TV of my own so I'm going to buy a 4K TV in the summer - I wouldn't be interested in buying one usually but I thought that if I'm going to invest £200+ into a TV then I may aswell get one thats future proofed. You can get a decent one at the moment for £300 so when they have pre-Euros offers I should be able to get one for about £280.

So that might swing my decision to get a PS4k rather than a standard PS4.

I think I'll end up waiting until the PS4k is out until I invest in a PS4. I'm currently without a TV of my own so I'm going to buy a 4K TV in the summer - I wouldn't be interested in buying one usually but I thought that if I'm going to invest £200+ into a TV then I may aswell get one thats future proofed. You can get a decent one at the moment for £300 so when they have pre-Euros offers I should be able to get one for about £280.

So that might swing my decision to get a PS4k rather than a standard PS4.

For you, that'll be a good purchase. The library will only have increased by then. Hnnnnnng, you'll be able to play No Man's Sky in all of its glory. (hope it delivers)

It seems to me the extra horsepower is simply being used to optimise games for 4K. I think that's fine, if you own a 4K TV you're presently struggling for content. A wait of 2-3 years for 4K gaming would be frustrating too. If Sony present this as simply that, a PS4 optimised for 4K, I think it's fine and nothing to stress over.

I'm not sure I totally believe that developers are unhappy with this - are most of them not factoring 4K into their PC games?

Wait what?... You can get a 4K TV for £300?

Probably... No one is saying it'll be a good 4K display though. :rolleyes:

Wait what?... You can get a 4K TV for £300?

You can get off-brand ones for about £200 on ebuyer, but Argos are currently selling some Philips ones starting at just over £300, I'm guessing they'd be decent enough being such a reputable brand. Hopefully come June time the LG ones will be around the same price, then i'll go for one of them.

I had no idea. I don't follow TV tech - the way everyone's been talking I thought these TV's were way out of most people price zone.

Agree with several above points. Its like they are competing with their own product to an extent. I am not seeing the point of this PS4k. Everyone has a PS4. Why bother?

Also how the hell is it suppossed to be profitable for anyone?

I had no idea. I don't follow TV tech - the way everyone's been talking I thought these TV's were way out of most people price zone.

4K TV have been out for a while but content is only now about to heat up(abit) with 4K Blu Ray's coming soon. Most 4K TV arent fully featured and many actually can not accept a true 4K source(lol) as they only upsacale 1080p to 4K. The only way of getting true 4K stuff was through downloading movies via special services.

Its worth pointing out that the ios and android boxes shout about 4K but cant even get basic stuff right at the same time. They are pretty much targeted towards mobile combatibility and functionality. This cant be changed unless Apple or Google decide to.

Edited by Choze
Automerged Doublepost

Like a few, it'll probably the best way of being able to play ultra HD disks so I'll get one for that.

I love how people don't want to buy into rumours, but as soon as a rumour says "nothing will change, all games will work on both" people take it as fact. This place is funny.

Even if hat is the word, I also find it bizarre so many people buy it so easily. They can say all they want, but if people don't think there's a genuine concern that some games will run like shit on a normal ps4 that feels a little naive. And heros tweet should be enough to raise those concerns.

If developers are really going to make 2 states for their games, it would make most sense for them to develop gameplay/settings in mind for the standard PS4 and perform most framerate tests on that, then up settings for the PS4K. That way they are guaranteed that the frame rate will be stable on each version of the game - with one console potentially going even higher. That's why I'm not worried at all - as I see it, this announcement is only a good thing for us, the consumers.

Good chat from IGN. They raise a great point about future game trailers and how confusing it'll be from a graphics POV, ie. which version of the game will we be looking at, original PS4 or PS4K.

"The general response seems to be anger" - Marty should check out this message board, the opposite seems to be true.

"The general response seems to be anger" - Marty should check out this message board, the opposite seems to be true.

Is this a bad thing? Why do you seem to care that many aren't reacting the same as you? Most of us simply don't care about the PS4K. I'm not excited but i'm not angry over it either.

fUSS5GO.jpg

Until my original PS4 becomes obsolete or the games start running worse than what they do now then I have no need to complain.

Edit: Lorne Lanning ( Oddworld ) give his thoughts on the PS4k and what Sony are hoping to achieve with it. Start the video at the 44 min mark. He talks about the situation for a few mins.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I got a 4K TV at Christmas and my wife wants a PS4 for rocket league. My eldest can have my Vader PS4, she can have his PS4 and I can get the new one.

I like rationalising things like this!

Good chat from IGN. They raise a great point about future game trailers and how confusing it'll be from a graphics POV, ie. which version of the game will we be looking at, original PS4 or PS4K.

a very well rounded well reasoned discussion, with the main takeaway point for me being "Sony haven't even messages this yet". Like they say for all we know this could just be a new future proofed SKU. Let's all chill the fuck out and wait and see. React then.