NEurope

Not unveiling it at E3 will probably mean no drop in price for the standard model before the end of the year. Hopefully we do get one around the time PSVR comes out though, i'm eager to get one when I've cleared my PS3 backlog.

Still not bothered by this.

New games will still be supported on my current systems and will look at least as good as they currently do at the moment. I've not got a 4K telly and am not really interested in spending more money on another system that will use that tv well.

Yeah, I think we all saw such an announcement coming, and obviously they weren't going to be phasing out the current PS4.

PSVR is due in October, correct? I can see this dropping around then or November, considering the whole Black Friday stuff going on, and you know Microsoft will follow suit and release the same day/week. Other than the specs, though, I'm not really bothered.

I'm expecting to see a full No Man's Sky, PSVR and Neo bundle. Guessing that that will be one of their big bundle deals leading up to Christmas.

Shuhei Yoshida claims the “new high-end PS4 is still PS4, so the life cycle is not going to be shorter.”

Source - quote at minute 6:06

So it's as everybody on here says.

Yoshida is also pleasantly surprised at Microsofts's Scorpio-announcement. "It's very very super interesting what they are doing." :D

I like Yoshida and Spencer. They always find nice words for their "rival" companies.

And more news indicating that Neo won't be the end of the console generation:

House mentioned that this is the first time for Sony to offer an hardware upgrade in the middle of the life cycle of a console. That said, they’re not going to do regular upgrades akin to the PC or mobile markets. The company is also not pursuing a generational hardware change.

He then explained that in the mobile business users are used to upgrade their hardware every one or two years, but that’s not the case in the console business, where the cycle is at least five or six years. Yet, there’s potential, and that’s why the latest and greatest technology will be introduced in the middle of the life cycle.

A key factor is still the importance of the customer, so Sony intends to mantain “one console world” with the same software for both consoles.

Source

This should end the complaining once and for all. :)

Looks like the September rumours were true.

Sony PlayStation on Tuesday afternoon sent invites for an event on September 7 called “PlayStation Meeting,” where the company will “share details about the PlayStation business.”

Earlier today, reports from Vice Gaming and Gameblog claimed PlayStation would hold an event that day to unveil its PlayStation 4 Neo, also known as the PlayStation 4.5.

If you’re unfamiliar, the Neo is expected to play all the current PlayStation 4 games out there, but offer more horsepower for better graphics and frame rates. It’s expected to also support 4K games, movies, and TV shows.

With that extra horsepower, the Neo will likely be the ideal console to power the company’s upcoming virtual reality headset, PlayStation VR, which arrives in October.

We look forward to learning more about the PlayStation 4 successor on September 7. The event starts at 3 p.m. ET.

When I've got some spare cash, I might make a Neo and a 4K TV my next big buy :D

No wait I want a Vive.

No wait, I need to redecorate.

No wait, I need a new car.

D:

Edited by Shorty

When I've got some spare cash, I might make a Neo and a 4K TV my next big buy :D

No wait I want a Vive.

No wait, I need to redecorate.

No wait, I need a new car.

D:

You have a means of transport.

You have walls and furniture (I assume)...

What you don't have is a Vive, Neo and 4K TV.

My car probably won't last much longer and my bedroom walls are salmon coloured.

Really interested to see what the pricing is going to be like and when it's coming out. If it's around £400 and out in November then I think I'll get one, otherwise I'll just pick up a standard PS4 for (hopefully) a better deal.

....Sony should add a disc changer to the Neo so I don't have to get up and switch blu rays

They already have one. It's called digital media.

Sony's online prices on new releases though... NMS is £50. For an indie game that would've probably been 1200 MS points on Xbox 360 10 years ago. I can never go disk-less on console until that stops being the norm.

Sony's online prices on new releases though... NMS is £50. For an indie game that would've probably been 1200 MS points on Xbox 360 10 years ago. I can never go disk-less on console until that stops being the norm.

In fairness £50 is NMS's RRP.

That's a Slim, not the Neo. And already discussed in the PS4 thread :heh:

(I say this with a sarcastic emoji because I posted it in here first too)

Also in fairness Sony has far more, and better sales than Microsoft has had. Neither come close to steam of course.

The RRP of the latest games is extremely off-putting for me and I hope Nintendo keeps the prices down on NX, much like how Wii U titles generally have a more palatable cost.

I suspect the prices will match that of PS4 and XBOX One titles, though!

I don't see how that makes it "fair" :p it's ridiculous. It should be cheaper than the disk rrp since you don't get physical media, can't resell it, don't get any physical extras with it, have to download it slowly, takes up more precious disk space. And the rrp should come down anyway. Steam charging lower prices for games brought down the cost of PC games overall and indefinitely. Sales are irrelevant because they never apply to anything new.

The RRP of the latest games is extremely off-putting for me and I hope Nintendo keeps the prices down on NX, much like how Wii U titles generally have a more palatable cost.

I suspect the prices will match that of PS4 and XBOX One titles, though!

RRP is misleading and does not take into account currency devaluations or market conditions. Software companies earn less from a same priced game as they did back in the PS2 days for example, whilst budgets and sizes of games have also increased.

Also I fully disagree on Nintendo being cheap. They took part in price fixing several times.

PC games have always been cheaper even without Steam.

Edited by Choze

I don't see how that makes it "fair" :p it's ridiculous. It should be cheaper than the disk rrp since you don't get physical media, can't resell it, don't get any physical extras with it, have to download it slowly, takes up more precious disk space. And the rrp should come down anyway. Steam charging lower prices for games brought down the cost of PC games overall and indefinitely. Sales are irrelevant because they never apply to anything new.

I'd argue digital space is cheaper than physical but then I'm in London :heh:

I do wonder how physical copies as a percentage have changed over the last five years (eg if a game sold a million 5 years ago how many were physical then and now).