NEurope

Giant Bomb have posted some more info on the PS4.5 or "Neo" as it's supposedly internally called. No splitting the user base, games will just have 2 modes from October so they will run on both systems. Pretty much as people thought, like different graphical settings in PC games.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sources-the-upgraded-playstation-4-is-codenamed-ne/1100-5437/

I'm sorry but this...

Games running in NEO mode will be able to use the hardware upgrades (and an additional 512 MiB in the memory budget) to offer increased and more stable frame rate and higher visual fidelity, at least when those games run at 1080p on HDTVs.

...and this...

That said, so long as both systems have the same feature, the NEO can run an improved version. A local co-op game that features four players on the base PS4 could offer an eight player co-op mode on the NEO, for instance.

...would be really shitty. It wouldn't split the userbase like exclusive games but it would make me feel like I'd miss out on something.

If this upgraded PS4 is true Sony better make sure there is a reasonable trade-in-program, i.e. send in PS4, pay 50€ and get the upgraded one...

Still worried :hmm: I'd like an official announcement now, Sony :D

Edited by drahkon

I'm sorry but this...

...and this...

...would be really shitty. It wouldn't split the userbase like exclusive games but it would make me feel like I'd miss out on something which sucks...

If this upgraded PS4 is true Sony better make sure there is a reasonable trade-in-program, i.e. send in PS4, pay 50€ and get the upgraded one...

Still worried :hmm:

But what would be the difference? If they release the Neo then the people who buy it would get better running games and those that stick with the base PS4 would get a lesser experience sure but if they don't release it, the PS4 users will still get the exact same experience as they would have if the Neo did exist.

Difference would be that I knew there is a better experience out there and I'd much rather have the this.

Difference would be that I knew there is a better experience out there and I'd much rather have the this.

Then that's your decision if you want to upgrade or not.

I honestly see no downside to this. It's not changing the experience PS4 users would have, it's just giving people the choice for something better.

I just don't get this mentality. You're happy with what you have right now, right? So why do you feel the need to upgrade even though you don't really want to spend the cash? Just to keep up with the latest tech or keep up with with the joneses?

The NEW 3DS is a great example to use. I'm still rocking the original 3DS because i'm happy with what it does. The newer model does have faster loading of Miiverse and runs some games better but I don't feel like i'm missing out because it's still doing what I bought it to do.

Saying that, i'm not a technical person and don't really get worked up about frame rates or if a game is 720p/900p/1080p, so what do I know. :D

Brian Altano tweet: Ironic how they're calling it Neo, the Matrix didn't need sequels either.

Brian Altano tweet: Ironic how they're calling it Neo, the Matrix didn't need sequels either.

Given PSVR was Morpheus, I guess their next project will be named Trinity. :D

Then that's your decision if you want to upgrade or not.

I honestly see no downside to this. It's not changing the experience PS4 users would have, it's just giving people the choice for something better.

Well, of course it's my decision :D I know that it wouldn't change the experience that I have but I would know there's a better experience out there.

I just don't get this mentality. You're happy with what you have right now, right? So why do you feel the need to upgrade even though you don't really want to spend the cash? Just to keep up with the latest tech or keep up with with the joneses?

I don't feel the need to upgrade. It would just be a matter of - for example - "I could play the game at 30fps/an unstable 'between 10 and 30 framerate' or at constant 30fps/60fps...well, I'd much rather have the latter".

I don't feel the need to upgrade. It would just be a matter of - for example - "I could play the game at 30fps/an unstable 'between 10 and 30 framerate' or at constant 30fps/60fps...well, I'd much rather have the latter".

Then you've got to ask yourself if that experience is worth selling out another £300-400.

As I said, I don't really care about/notice stuff like that, so i'm probably the wrong person to be having this conversation with. :D

Well, of course it's my decision :D I know that it wouldn't change the experience that I have but I would know there's a better experience out there.

Well there's always a better alternative out there from day 1 - PC. Why does it matter so much this time?

I think people are overestimating it anyway - devs have trouble hitting frame rates but through patches can fix it. Having more settings, I think, would be counterproductive to the point of consoles (set hardware that they can optimise the game to).

Edited by Sheikah

Then you've got to ask yourself if that experience is worth selling out another £300-400.

It's not and I won't buy it (unless there will be a trade-in-program like I mentioned). It would just make me wary of future console purchases.

Well there's always a better alternative out there from day 1 - PC. Why does it matter so much this time?

If what I worry turns out to be the reality I'll probably go PC only in the future.

It matters to me for the reason I said: I'd feel I miss out, especially with awesome exclusives.

Awesome exclusive games or features?

From a tech point of view, could they make an add-on for the current PS4 that you plug into the back?

Games. What if the next God of War runs 30fps on the standard PS4 but 60fps on the newer one?

Stuff like this would annoy me.

Anyway, I'll wait and see what this is all about. My worries will remain until I know more, though.

To me that's a feature...

But as you say, let's just wait until we know more.

From a tech point of view, could they make an add-on for the current PS4 that you plug into the back?

Not really, you can increase memory like you could on the N64 but you can't make the existing CPU and GPU faster.

God of War will very likely be an exclusive.

I've just mentioned exclusives because I really don't want to do PC only because I love PlayStation exclusives. But if my worries will become reality I'd have a big dilemma on my hands :D

I've just mentioned exclusives because I really don't want to do PC only because I love PlayStation exclusives.

And trophies!

Sad news. Playstation can f off. At least reports say there won't be exclusive games, we'll see if that turns out to be true. I'm not going to be happy playing games on the original PS4 knowing this could look much better on the Neo. They better have a decent trade in program.

Wow, what's with all the anger?

It's not like anyone is being forced to upgrade right now. Especially if this upgrade is meant to mostly be for games to run on a 4K tv... because how many people even own a tv like that?

You will still be able to play exactly the same games. They might run better on the PS4K, but then they would also run better on a PC, so what's the difference? Nothing. You are still getting your games.

And how is this different from the new Zelda possibly being released on both the Wii U and NX? It's the same, you get the same game, but it will look/run better on the newer console. Yet no one is angry about that?

There are always going to be better versions of technology out there, and with the speed things move, it might just happen faster than we are used to. Better get used to it.

Wow, what's with all the anger?

It's not like anyone is being forced to upgrade right now. Especially if this upgrade is meant to mostly be for games to run on a 4K tv... because how many people even own a tv like that?

You will still be able to play exactly the same games. They might run better on the PS4K, but then they would also run better on a PC, so what's the difference? Nothing. You are still getting your games.

And how is this different from the new Zelda possibly being released on both the Wii U and NX? It's the same, you get the same game, but it will look/run better on the newer console. Yet no one is angry about that?

There are always going to be better versions of technology out there, and with the speed things move, it might just happen faster than we are used to. Better get used to it.

I bought my PS4 nine months ago, and it's already going to be considered old tech. When you buy a new console there's a certain expectation that it'll last you 5+ years. I can't imagine I'll be able to resist upgrading if I know there's a far superior PS4 out there, and that makes me angry. This Playstation gen will have ended up costing me double.

As for Zelda likely being on NX, NX is a new console, PS4K is an upgraded PS4.

Nice. He wasn't happy on a recent Game Scoop, and rightly so. I don't think any of them were that thrilled about it.

I bought my PS4 nine months ago, and it's already going to be considered old tech.

Well...the console is almost 2 1/2 years old now. You having bought it nine months ago isn't a very good argument here.

When you buy a new console there's a certain expectation that it'll last you 5+ years.

I think that expectation needs to go. That's not how it works anymore...

Not saying I'm all for it, but it has become reality.

there's a far superior PS4 out there

We don't know how much better the new PS4 will be. Pretty sure it's not going to be far superior.

I can see @drahkon point. I have a PC and bought a ps4 for the exclusives I could not get on PC, accepting the frame rate issues. The graphics I do not care about but I need my frames.

I am now at the point though where my PC needs an upgrade and now my ps4 is telling me it wants one too if I need my sought after fps. I would rather they optimise the games properly so that graphics are down scaled to achieve that frame rate. I can barely tell the difference in graphical fidelity anyways or maybe I just care less about that.

With a new machine, they won't have to.

The anger is ridiculous to me. There is no difference in the gaming experience people will have with their base PS4 if the Neo exists or not.

The anger is ridiculous to me. There is no difference in the gaming experience people will have with their base PS4 if the Neo exists or not.

Let's say I play a multiplayer game at 30 fps on my base PS4, but it can run at 60 fps on the new one...if it's a shooter like CoD this would be a huge difference.

Not saying I'm angry at the possibility but I am worried.