NEurope
Sheikah

Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/Xbox One - 26 October 2018)

2 hours ago, dwarf said:

Isn't buying on disc better in pretty much every conceivable way bar the convenience factor of not needing to swap discs (which in itself comes with the downside of taking up more data on the HDD, no?)

Disc version is £10 cheaper and you can lend it to friends. I guess I'm not understanding the bit in bold.

Yes, as others have mentioned, we share accounts on Xbox. We have two xboxes in different rooms, so if we were to both play together online at the same time, we can do it without needing two discs. I had to buy another copy of GTAV for us to both play that online, which was expensive, so decided to go digital this time. And HDD space isn’t an issue as others have said, you need to have it installed anyway, disc or not. 

If not for the two xboxes, I’d have probably gone physical just to save a tenner, but doing it this way I’ve saved £40. 

• Like 1

In my head I didn't think you could have two accounts playing the same purchase on different consoles online. PS+ account complications do my head in (playing Rocket League online when you've got 4 players in split screen, for example).

I used to rinse the 5-console PSN game shares on PS3, but they stopped that on PS4 right?

Edited by dwarf

There are quite a few reasons why someone may choose digital over the physical versions of games. I try to purchase most of my games digitally than physically, especially as it saves space when it comes to storage. Trying to store your current gen games with all of the games from previous generations, space disappears quickly. I'm not really one to sell my games either, so I'm not necessarily at a disadvantage by going digital. We also do the game share thing and have lasted all this time with just one digital version of Overwatch that is used on 2 PS4s, used to play together online. 

That being said, physical editions tend to be much cheaper (especially if they're new or recently released), so I can imagine us picking up RDR2 physically in this case. 

On 22/10/2018 at 2:29 PM, dwarf said:

In my head I didn't think you could have two accounts playing the same purchase on different consoles online. PS+ account complications do my head in (playing Rocket League online when you've got 4 players in split screen, for example).

I used to rinse the 5-console PSN game shares on PS3, but they stopped that on PS4 right?

Not sure how it works on PS4, but on Xbox, you log in to the other Xbox with both accounts and you set up sharing. Can’t remember exactly how to do it but there are guides online. I suppose technically, you could share with a trusted friend (as it means giving them your password) and not just another console in your household. 

Well, I wasn't intending on playing this anytime soon but one of my best mates got this today and he'll be out of town for a week. :D 

Can't wait to play this tomorrow after work :peace: 

Reviews are praising this game left and right. Hope this is one of those instances where I agree with the praise :D 

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

For a game that's at 97 on Metacritic there's a ton of criticisms in the various reviews, it's really weird. Eurogamer, Kotaku, Gamespot etc have big problems with it. Moving the character, gun play, a few even question just how "fun" most of the game actually is. Really weird. If nothing else they seem to have nailed the openworld and all the small details. Still massively hyped, my first Rockstar game, and on my new X.

• Like 1

Played this for 30 minutes just now because I couldn't wait any longer.

My God, it's gorgeous. The Witcher 3 blew me away but this? This seems to be on another level. Can't wait to see how it looks when the scenery changes.

Gameplay has been simple so far. Riding horses, shootin' some dudes (and wolves :( why do games keep doing this to me?) and getting to know some of the simpler mechanics like health and stamina. Lots of fun even if it was just a basic tutorial mission.

These 30 minutes left me aching for more but I really need to sleep.

Looks like it's gonna be a weekend without any kind of social interactions until Sunday afternoon :D 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was going to wait until i finished Odyssey, but decided to put it on hold until after Red Dead is done.  Game is at home (my partner is installing it for me for when i get home this evening)

I just received the game in the post, so I was unsealing and checking out the packaging while watching the Easy Allies review for it. :D

I'll now set about installing it so that hopefully it will be done before I got to work, so that I might be able to play it briefly by the time I get back. :peace:

Edit - well... I'm glad I decided to start installing it now as apparently the physical edition takes 90 minutes to install, so it should be done before I have to go.

Edit - just under halfway through when you hear the disc drive stop, you'll see a pause icon on the installation, at this point you need to insert the second disc.

So about half of the game install is on disc 1 while the other half is on disc 2, just an extra heads-up for anyone installing from a physical copy. :smile:

Update - annnnd done! Mission Successful... game installed before setting off to work, I'll probably get home, play five minutes before midnight and fall asleep. :p

But at least it will be playable.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

I've left my PS4 on rest and told it to start downloading so hopefully I'll get a little time on this tonight :p

The ResetEra thread on this game is a little worrying. It isn't exactly complimentary from a good chunk of posters. Gun play and character movement apparently awful and the game is "boring". I knew all those high scores didn't match up with the reviews' words.

I had a look at the last few pages of that Reset Era thread, this is what I understand from it...

PS4 base version runs fine, Xbox One base version runs fine but not as good as PS4, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X have some certain issues with certain TV sets? ::shrug:

I think it's mostly about the version differences and how it runs overall, I think mechanically the game is probably fine, it might just need some fixes.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much at this stage but I'll let you know if I find anything odd about the mechanics when I get to play it. :peace:

Either way, I hope anyone who gets to play this today enjoys it. :D

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The ResetEra thread on this game is a little worrying. It isn't exactly complimentary from a good chunk of posters. Gun play and character movement apparently awful and the game is "boring". I knew all those high scores didn't match up with the reviews' words.

I won’t be picking up the game for a little while longer anyways, but don’t you think that we should wait a good while (at least until the end of this weekend) before we start assessing whether or not the game lives up to its review scores (...especially based on the opinions of strangers on a site such as ResetEra)? I don’t think that we should start questioning the opinions of some industry veterans - which by itself is perfectly reasonable - of the game at this point: most of them completed the game, and the general audience is, at best, a dozen hours or so into what I’m reading is a rather lengthy game. 

I’m all for citing the opinions of others, and it is interesting that users on ResetEra are expressing opinions which starkly contrast to those of many reviewers (as is often the case), but in this case, @Ronnie, I think you should just try to enjoy the game for yourself and then look into those opinions afterwards/once you’ve spent long enough with it, or just acknowledge that those opinions are out there and forge your own :) otherwise, you might find yourself being critical of things you might not have otherwise noticed, and have less fun with the game as a result. 

Like I mentioned, I won’t be picking it up for a while (nearly 60 hours into Dragon Quest XI and I’m having so much fun), but I hope that everyone who picks up the game today/this weekend/soon has a good time with it! I look forward to reading about what you all think of it :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From my understanding, a few on Era don't like the pacing of the first hour or so, whilst others feel it's perfect.  Certainly a mixed bag of thoughts.  The first hour or so of Red Dead Redemption was a little slow going as well, but it picked up and the game was great.  So i'm not too concerned at the moment.

31 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

I won’t be picking up the game for a little while longer anyways, but don’t you think that we should wait a good while (at least until the end of this weekend) before we start assessing whether or not the game lives up to its review scores (...especially based on the opinions of strangers on a site such as ResetEra)? I don’t think that we should start questioning the opinions of some industry veterans - which by itself is perfectly reasonable - of the game at this point: most of them completed the game, and the general audience is, at best, a dozen hours or so into what I’m reading is a rather lengthy game. 

I’m all for citing the opinions of others, and it is interesting that users on ResetEra are expressing opinions which starkly contrast to those of many reviewers (as is often the case), but in this case, @Ronnie, I think you should just try to enjoy the game for yourself and then look into those opinions afterwards/once you’ve spent long enough with it, or just acknowledge that those opinions are out there and forge your own :) otherwise, you might find yourself being critical of things you might not have otherwise noticed, and have less fun with the game as a result. 

Like I mentioned, I won’t be picking it up for a while (nearly 60 hours into Dragon Quest XI and I’m having so much fun), but I hope that everyone who picks up the game today/this weekend/soon has a good time with it! I look forward to reading about what you all think of it :) 

Of course I'll be playing tonight to see for myself, I only meant it as a random observation really. I couldn't understand why so many criticisms in the written reviews somehow ammounted to a 97 on Metacritic. But as you say we shall see, the thread on ResetEra (hardly my favourite place ever) is a bit of an eye opener, a lot of people saying Rockstar made an amazing world, but the gameplay is a bit lacking. I guess it depends what kind of game you want out of it. After just finishing Spider-Man I'm up for a slower paced game now

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Chapter 1 complete.

What an incredible start to a game. Set the mood perfectly and was just a joy play. 
Graphics keep blowing me away and the game runs amazingly well. Quite the technical achievement so far.

Gonna have lunch and then get right back :D 

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Chapter 1 complete.

What an incredible start to a game. Set the mood perfectly and was just a joy play. 
Graphics keep blowing me away and the game runs amazingly well. Quite the technical achievement so far.

Gonna have lunch and then get right back :D 

You playing this on regular PS4 or Pro?

5 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

You playing this on regular PS4 or Pro?

On a Pro.

And I've gone "HHHHNNNGGGGGGGG" quite a few times already.

13 minutes ago, drahkon said:

On a Pro.

And I've gone "HHHHNNNGGGGGGGG" quite a few times already.

Hnnngg. I imagine that it still looks great on a regular PS4. Are there any framerate issues with it or anything like that on either the Pro or regular PS4? Game looks graphically intense and huge...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Hnnngg. I imagine that it still looks great on a regular PS4. Are there any framerate issues with it or anything like that on either the Pro or regular PS4? Game looks graphically intense and huge...

No idea, but you could probably get that information from here:

Or here in text form.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ronnie said:

For a game that's at 97 on Metacritic there's a ton of criticisms in the various reviews, it's really weird. Eurogamer, Kotaku, Gamespot etc have big problems with it. Moving the character, gun play, a few even question just how "fun" most of the game actually is. Really weird. If nothing else they seem to have nailed the openworld and all the small details. Still massively hyped, my first Rockstar game, and on my new X.

Yeah I do kind of agree with this. Often with these kind of games it seems like reviewers are too awed by the technical prowess and studio reputation to give an accurate judgement. Fallout 4 springs to mind - though I expect this game to be much higher quality all round. All the discussion I've heard of the game has a tonne of caveats but the scores as you say seem weirdly high in comparison. A lot of the game seems like kind of a slog? TBF I've never really gotten on with Rockstar games for whatever reason.

That all said, I think I'll be picking it up this weekend. Kind of tempted to get Ass Oddessey instead but loads of people I know are picking up red dead so I'm keen to dive into the chat...

It was no masterpiece but I have fond memories of playing GUN on the GameCube. I basically want that kind of experience from Red Dead 2 but with all the dials turned up to 11.

Edited by dwarf

37 minutes ago, dan-likes-trees said:

Ass Oddessey

Name of your sextape.

Boom, Brooklyn Nine-Nine reference.

Anyways, did some cleaning this afternoon so haven't played much. I completed a couple of missions just now, though. Enjoyed it very much.
t's a typical Rockstar Games affair, so if you didn't like their older games then you will definitely not like this one.

Had a random encounter with two men who threatened me. Needless to say I shot them. A few minutes later I robbed a lady and got 80 cents. Was not worth it :D 

So far, so good :) 

• Haha 3