NEurope
Sheikah

Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/Xbox One - 26 October 2018)

Surprised nobody has posted about this yet, but we’re getting a new trailer tomorrow. 

We were all just going to wait until tomorrow, but that's fine. We can do it your way.
  • Haha 3
  • Weird 1

UPDATE: And we have box art:

1e6agd1f9hv01.png

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

Still not seen any gameplay, there are a couple of snatches of this and the last trailer that seem to show things from a gameplay-like angle but otherwise the rest of the footage we've seen is from cinematics. I wonder if Rockstar are actually going to show up to E3 this year, I can't see us getting any gameplay until August-time if they don't.

IGN got to play it but weren't allowed to release any gameplay footage. They instead posted a discussion about what they saw and it sounds like the AI is one area thats seen a big improvement over previous Rockstar games, the human characters seem much smarter apparently townspeople will react differently depending on how you hold your weapon whereas in the first game as soon as you drew your weapon they would get aggressive or scarper. The interactions with wild animals also seem more in depth and the world sounds like it is much more alive than the first Redemption game, its worth watching the video IGN posted to learn a bit more about the game, hopefully gameplay videos aren't too far off.

Edited by killthenet

Official gameplay video:

Edited by Julius Caesar

Looks great, the world does seem really dense and alive - will be interesting to see if the AI is as good as this makes out it is. I think I might go media blackout on this now, will probably check out the info on the online when that surfaces but otherwise I think I know everything I need to.

Oooohhh boy.

From the Youtube description:

Captured entirely from in-game footage on the PlayStation®4 Pro

Stunning.

Can't wait :D 

Visually, the game looks incredible. Just watching that trailer and seeing the level of detail in the world, the lighting effects (seriously, these are some of the best I've seen in the game, especially that bit with them riding in the snow with lanterns) and the quality of everything on display was insane. But then it wouldn't be a Rockstar game without that attention to detail.

I'd have liked to see more in terms of what it's going to be like to play, or for outlets to have gotten some hands on time with the game to get a gist of how it handles, as activity wise there's a lot that carries over from the first Red Dead Redemption, though I suspect it following the general template of that game in terms of gameplay is intentional.

It's piqued my interest a bit more than where I was previously, which wasn't too fussed. I didn't finish the first one as I got turned off once I got to Mexico and the glitches and slow pace of the game didn't click with me at the time. Now, though, it seems to be more up my alley. Intrigued by what they could do with the story, hopefully more than a typical Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurais narrative.

Looking forward to seeing more. Not fully sold but it's getting there.

Just watched the gameplay video of this. Hnnnnnngggggggg, this is going to be so good. May have to put this down as a Christmas game. Can already see myself waking up extra early on weekends to play this like I did a little bit with GTAV. 

Uh, so Online just got announced via their YouTube and social media accounts...Online is coming in November of this year, initially as a public beta. Hmm.

2054867851e75429a5fc0b9e25d6b4d52d6749b9

Today we’re excited to announce Red Dead Online, a new online connected experience set against the back of Red Dead Redemption 2's enormous open world.

Red Dead Online is an evolution of the classic multiplayer experience in the original Red Dead Redemption, blending narrative with competitive and cooperative gameplay in fun new ways. Using the gameplay of the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2 as a foundation, Red Dead Online will be ready to be explored alone or with friends, and will also feature constant updates and adjustments to grow and evolve this experience for all players.

Red Dead Online is planned for launch in November 2018, initially as a public beta, with more news to come soon. As with most online experiences of this size and scale, there will inevitably be some turbulence at launch.  We look forward to working with our amazing and dedicated community to share ideas, help us fix teething problems and work with us to develop Red Dead Online into something really fun and innovative.

Access to Red Dead Online is free to anyone with a copy of Red Dead Redemption 2 on either PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.

In addition, they had a Q&A with IGN regarding Online. 

IGN: What can players expect from Red Dead Online? Will we have as much open-world freedom as we do in the single-player component?

Imran Sarwar: Of course. Red Dead Online will use the world and gameplay mechanics of Red Dead Redemption 2 as a jumping off point for a new world of cowboys (and cowgirls) and outlaws that combines multiplayer and cooperative gameplay and narrative components in a huge open world. Players will be able explore alone or easily join with friends or other players to compete or work together. We’ll take full advantage of the entire world, as well as all the aspects of a 19th century setting that make Red Dead Redemption 2 unique and fun.

IGN: What do you want players to get out of Red Dead Online? What ambitions does Rockstar have in terms of evolving their idea of online open worlds?

Josh Needleman: Red Dead Redemption’s multiplayer was a real leap forward for us at the time. It was the first game that hinted at the real opportunities for open world multiplayer beyond cities, where the world was open as a place to create your own freeform gameplay, while at the same time was as a sort of living lobby for other, more structured kinds of game modes. Red Dead Redemption 2 will take those ideas much further and combine that with everything we’ve learned in the years since then with our favorite elements from Grand Theft Auto Online about how to make really fun and complex competitive and cooperative experiences in open worlds, and how to introduce narrative elements into multiplayer.

IGN: Why aren't you releasing Red Dead Online alongside Red Dead Redemption 2’s single-player experience?

Imran: There are a few reasons for this. The first is that even though Red Dead Redemption 2 and Red Dead Online share the same gameplay mechanics and geography, we see them essentially as separate products that will grow and evolve independently of each other.

We love story-based, single-player games and they are the foundation of everything we do. Red Dead Redemption 2 is an absolutely massive story-based game that we hope people will be lost in for a long time and we want people to experience everything that world has to offer before we build on that with the Online experience. Not to mention, playing through the story and getting to know the controls and mechanics of the game is the best way to get ready for playing inside the world of Red Dead Online.

Also, as we have learned from experience when launching Online games at this scale, there are bound to be a few issues and we want to ensure that we have time to gradually roll out the game and make the experience as smooth as we possibly can for everyone. We believe this way of rolling out will give people the best overall experiences with both single player and multiplayer.

IGN: Aside from the obvious - the 21st-century setting/vehicles/tech/etc - how will this experience be different from Grand Theft Auto Online?

Josh: One of the biggest differences between GTA and Red Dead universes is that you’re often speeding through or flying over a GTA world, whereas in Red Dead Redemption the change of pace elevates the intimacy of the overall experience. Like the single player game’s story of Arthur Morgan, we want people to settle into their online characters and feel like every activity makes sense for the character, the setting and the time. This should feel intimate and personal while still feeling fun and action-packed from moment to moment.

We’ve tried to take the best elements and best content packs from Grand Theft Auto Online and use them for templates for what we are making here. We feel Grand Theft Auto Online really only found its feet creatively with Heists. That pack, along with After Hours, The Doomsday Heist, Gun Running and a few others represent the best of Grand Theft Auto Online, and provided the template for what we wanted to use here, (not in terms of content, obviously, but how they combined narrative, gameplay, modes and other content into a cohesive thematic whole) alongside all of the elements we liked from the old Red Dead Redemption multiplayer.

IGN: What have you and the rest of the team learned from your experiences launching /designing / updating / supporting Grand Theft Auto Online?

Josh: The biggest problem with the original Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer was that every update we released fractured the audience. As the game got bigger, we separated our player base. Avoiding this was the inspiration behind Grand Theft Auto Online – we are obsessed by keeping the audience complete and experience beyond perpetual. Beyond this, after lots of trial and error (!!!), we feel we have found a way to make multiplayer games that feel like Rockstar experiences, combining personality, gameplay, style, narrative and variety into the packs. That did not really begin to happen until we released the first Heists pack. Our aim this time is to hopefully get there a bit more quicker, but still be responsive to what people enjoy playing and evolve as we go.

IGN: What happens to Grand Theft Auto Online after Red Dead Online launches?

Imran: We still have big plans for Grand Theft Auto Online and we will continue to roll out updates for the foreseeable future. We vaguely plan to stagger the updates of both games so that players can switch between the two, but our development plans may not always allow this! We think there will be a lot to love about Red Dead Online for fans of Grand Theft Auto Online, but we think that Red Dead Online will generate its own audience ready for something entirely new – however, exactly what form Red Dead Online will take as it finds it’s feet, we are not sure ourselves, but we think really want a focus on role-playing and morality. That may all change as the game comes out, but that’s the direction we are heading in now! And we are going to be working together on that with our incredible community to make this online experience into something amazing.

What an odd way to announce it. It’ll sell like crazy, but we’re what, five weeks away? I know that they’re about to ramp it into high gear...but still, such an odd choice to leave advertising so late for such a big game. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

Also worth noting that, while currently unconfirmed, the supposed file size of the game will be 105 GB. 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 1

You can tell this is going to be lit. Everything Danny from NoClip said has me hyped (lots of intricate, hidden systems that interconnect to produce organic gameplay *cough BotW*), so I stopped watching this trailer 20 seconds in. What's the point of spoiling it now?

This will be my first Rockstar game. Left it long enough.

Edited by dwarf
  • Like 1

On 01/10/2018 at 10:49 PM, dwarf said:

This will be my first Rockstar game. Left it long enough.

Mine too! Can’t wait: it looks simply stunning, and the music in some of the trailers has been sensational — I’m hoping that it’s a hint of what’s to come with the full game.

The only thing that I’m not really a fan of is having some extra Story Mode missions locked behind a pricier tier (Special Edition), especially seeing as this is Rockstar...you just know that they’ll make enough of a killing with their online mode that this will feel unwarranted. 

48 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

The only thing that I’m not really a fan of is having some extra Story Mode missions locked behind a pricier tier (Special Edition), especially seeing as this is Rockstar...you just know that they’ll make enough of a killing with their online mode that this will feel unwarranted. 

I didn't know that, thats pretty annoying. I'd like to play all the content thats on offer but I don't want to pay through the nose to do so, hopefully they make them available through other means eventually. 

There are rumours that the game will come on two discs after the report that it requires a minimum of 105gb hard drive space, pretty weird for a game in 2018 but I remember GTA V came on two discs on Xbox 360 (one for the install and one to run the game) so Rockstar definitely have previous for it. I didn't think I needed to see any more about the game but I've still found myself watching the gameplay videos and listening to the impressions from the previews, though I stopped short of looking at the leaked map. I've not ordered the game yet (hoping to find a decent deal) but I'll definitely be picking it up on launch, it looks like it could be an instant classic.

That's a really neat detail, after loving the exploration in BOTW I can definitely see myself using the minimal HUD option in this. Seems like there was another round of previews this week so information will probably continue to trickle out over the next couple of weeks. This thread has been weirdly quiet but I'm sure it'll pick up when the game comes out, there isn't much to say about it at the moment because Rockstar and Red Dead are such known quantities that everyone is just keen to get their hands on it.

Very cool detail. It's about time AAA games stopped giving you a dotted line to exactly where you need to go.

Cool feature, although I doubt I'd use it. I just don't have the time nowadays to explore like I used to. Need me that instant gratification.

Just realised this will be out in just over a week. Rockstar have had some negative headlines this week after one of the Houser brothers comments on working 100 hour weeks at times during development. It's brought the subject of the unhealthy crunch culture back into discussion and a few ex-Rockstar employees have been sharing their stories. It's obviously a major problem but I can't imagine it taking away from my enjoyment of the game too much but it got me thinking if it's a problem in UK game development, we seem to have better rights for workers than the US but I'd imagine that companies still work pretty ridiculous hours over here too.

• Thanks 1

Exploitation shouldn't detract from your actual enjoyment of the game, but consumers should stand in solidarity with developers when they demand better rights. Industry standards are shocking across the board in terms of the unpaid overtime, staff mismanagement, and mass lay-offs. That's why there's an international movement pushing for unionisation at the moment.

Most developers love playing games themselves, so they want you to play what they make. However, when the time comes everyone needs to support their strike action. When you consider how important it is for publishers to release games in a narrow launch window, strike threats should carry a lot of power. Hopefully fairer pay and safe working hours will result. My concern is that entitled consumers will side with bosses over workers if it looks like their game is at risk of being delayed.

Ultimately we need to back the Absolute Boi and seize the means of production.

760-cover-illus-b.jpg

Check out this cool left-wing pod if you wanna learn more about games industry unionisation:

https://deleteyouraccount.libsyn.com/episode-107-press-start

• Like 3

Tried getting the Friday off to have a long weekend on this, but have had no luck.  Can't wait for next week.

Having some missions locked on the "Special Edition" is annoying.  Rockstar will make a killing on the multiplayer, so i don't see a need for this to happen.

Edit: Confirmed info that no-one should be getting this game early, Shopto sent out an email stating that Rockstar have imposed a restriction on early releases.

Edited by Jimbob
  • Like 1