NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Live action Pokémon/Nintendo film/s? (and other potential Nintendo movies thread)

Aaaaaaaand we're back.

Today, Kikishima told Asahi Shimbun that Nintendo are indeed developing movies, and are in talks with partners about such a development. The CEO said that the company needs to invest in video production and wants to be successful on a global scale, and whilst discussions are believed to be in the early stages, Kimishima made it clear that he wanted films to be produced within the next five years.

I know what your thinking: the Super Mario Bros movie, the universally scoffed at live action feature attempt by Nintendo in the 90's. But, perhaps you forget the 2006 success of the Animal Crossing animated adaptation in Japan? But alas, we can confirm that Nintendo plan to pursue alternatives to live-action adaptations, meaning either through animated or CGI means, and I have reason to believe the latter is true more so than the former.

Kimishima also said that "we'd like to use IP that is popular with everyone. I can't say 'it'll be Mario' - just that we'll do things people are familiar with".

So there we go. Anyone getting any pressing thoughts to share on the matter? My mind is buzzing with the possibility (for both success and failure!).

EDIT: just had an idea; call the shared universe the Nintendo Expanded Story! you better get the reference!

EDIT 2: the Nintendo answer to Pixar Shorts can be their very own Pikmin shorts

Edited by Julius Caesar

Sign in to follow this