NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Live action Pokémon/Nintendo film/s? (and other potential Nintendo movies thread)

So, as many of you may or may not have heard by now, the rights to a live action Pokémon film are being fought over by none other than Legendary Entertainment, Warner Bros. Interactive and Sony.

Now, we don't have any idea as to how this would go, but my original assumption is that it would be a CGI heavy film; and, for those doubting the credibility of such a film, you need look no further than Disney's The Jungle Book, which releases today, that CGI is at a point where it can handle everything but a human. Everything in that film other than Neel Sethi's Mowgli is CGI, and the whole thing was shot on a sound stage in Los Angeles, California.

This is big news for both the gaming and movie world, and there's a heck of a lot to talk about here, which I'll do my best, along with others, to keep you updated on.

You can view the original report, as reported by none other than The Hollywood Reporter, a very dependable source for all things movie news, here

As I've said, a lot to talk about. What do you think? Should they do it? Should they not? What region/Pokémon do they use, if an existing one? Would it be part of the main series canon, anime canon, manga canon, or a completely new movie canon, possible growing into a shared movie universe in Marvel Cinematic Universe fashion? Would it be a success? And will it lead to more Nintendo property films?

I have some extremely strong opinions about it myself!

Edited by Julius Caesar

Nintendo cinematic universe in 5...4...3...

Aha, hopefully not yet

Pikachu, Link, Kirby, Mario...the real dream team of our childhood fantasies! (somewhat achieved in Smash Bros., but alas)

This could go so very wrong, and it could also go so very right. If the right money is invested, CGI Pokémon could look astounding! But then it's a question of where/when/what/who/why/how, and that's where I'm really struggling at the moment.

I mean, where? We have six (now potentially seven) main series regions alone at the moment, do we start back in Kanto? Would it be about the generic plot of the main series games (8 gyms, Elite Four, evil team) just C+P'd onto a new format? I certainly hope not...

As for when, which universe does this take place in, if any? The main series canon? Anime canon? A new shared universe canon (and thinking about it, that would definitely have potential)?

What? New plot, or a game retelling?

And who? Is this going to be a live action version of the games, or a totally unique story, with new characters? In my opinion, the latter, as a mixed ethnic group, would be great for fans to see, but who do you get to act as them? Do you try to get Oscar talent or relative unknowns? I mean, we all know what happens when an actor can't react to CGI acting...

And who do you get to direct it? It's pretty easy for Star Wars and Marvel or DC, as these properties are old enough to be helmed by a fan. Do you go with fan vision or a great director with little clue as to what's going on?

So many questions...

@Serebii, what are your thoughts on this possibility?

Been hearing rumblings of this for years but it never really comes to anything. Think we shouldn't jump the gun and wait until someone actually has rights rather than reports of companies trying to get it.

It reminds me of that Netflix Zelda series that WSJ, THR etc. insisted was happening, but Iwata then said wasn't.

This is just unsubstantiated rumour at this point.

That said, if it happens, I'll be answering casting calls like crazy to be in it even though it has a 99.6% chance of being terrible

I'll be answering casting calls like crazy to be in it even though it has a 99.6% chance of being terrible

You'll fit right in :grin:

I'd say given the rise of live action remakes of animated films there's a better chance now than in past years, but yeah, still nothing to really care about at this moment.

And to answer JC a bit - if anything I imagine it would be based more on the anime because simply there are characters there whereas the protagonist in the games is always a blank slate.

Been hearing rumblings of this for years but it never really comes to anything. Think we shouldn't jump the gun and wait until someone actually has rights rather than reports of companies trying to get it.

It reminds me of that Netflix Zelda series that WSJ, THR etc. insisted was happening, but Iwata then said wasn't.

This is just unsubstantiated rumour at this point.

That said, if it happens, I'll be answering casting calls like crazy to be in it even though it has a 99.6% chance of being terrible

I agree, it seems like a stretch at this point in time, but, The Jungle Book live action film exhibits the technology which no doubt they'd try to use in such a project, and Sony and WB are after whatever they can get - Sony's movie division has been spiralling for years (hence the Spider-Man deal with Marvel Studios), and WB recently stated that they're paying less attention to home grown films and more attention to potential blockbusters.

We should be able to gauge the possibility (and profitability) of such a project better by the end of the year, I think, after the release of the Warcraft and Assassin's Creed films. We haven't had a good video game live action film for a while now... if ever

Would love to see you as a member of the staff at one of the Labs or a cameo giving a lecture on Pokémon!

I'd say given the rise of live action remakes of animated films there's a better chance now than in past years, but yeah, still nothing to really care about at this moment.

And to answer JC a bit - if anything I imagine it would be based more on the anime because simply there are characters there whereas the protagonist in the games is always a blank slate.

...I really, really hope they go with new original characters.

Edited by Julius Caesar
Automerged Doublepost

...I really, really hope they go with new original characters.

I think Ash Ketchum is the most likely bet. Sure he's not huge, but he's something at least a certain demographic will have heard of.

I think Ash Ketchum is the most likely bet. Sure he's not huge, but he's something at least a certain demographic will have heard of.

I think if they went the anime route, it'd be extremely difficult. By all means, have a similarly designed group, but I really wouldn't want something like this to be a repeat of what we've already got with him in the anime...

sigh

Looking around at live action anime/manga concept art, and this one from the delayed Akira film is what I'd love for this film to look like.

concept-art-revealed-for-stalled-live-action-akira-film.jpg

I mean, other than the helicopter shootings missiles at the characters in a densely populated city

change that guy for Mewtwo and I'm totally on board

Edited by Julius Caesar

I think if they went the anime route, it'd be extremely difficult. By all means, have a similarly designed group, but I really wouldn't want something like this to be a repeat of what we've already got with him in the anime...

sigh

You realise all the live action remakes are just cash grabs based on animated films and are by design as close to the source material to grab nostalgic fans and their money...right?

I wouldn't anticipate original ideas in a live action remake.

You realise all the live action remakes are just cash grabs based on animated films and are by design as close to the source material to grab nostalgic fans and their money...right?

I wouldn't anticipate original ideas in a live action remake.

That would be a terrible mistake for whoever gets it to make.

A Pokémon shared universe of films would be like sitting on a gold mine. It would be like making every character in Star Wars connected throughout the saga and Star Wars Story films...

I didn't read remake anywhere, though. Just 'live action Pokémon film'.

live action Pokkén anyone?

Edited by Julius Caesar

Oi :p I'm a great actor.

I could be the professor :p

giphy.gif

single confirmed: Jason Segel is appearing in this film

oh and woo HIMYM!

Oi :p I'm a great actor.

I could be the professor :p

Funnily enough you actually look eerily similar to the lead actor in It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Can't you just claim to be him?

Performed successfully in front of thousands, so...

You know I'm joking right?

Although there is a difference between presenting and being an actor. Trust me, I've tried both before now. Doesn't help if the thing you're performing in has the word "ethnohermeneutic" in it but that's unlikely to be used in Pokémon.

You know I'm joking right?

Although there is a difference between presenting and being an actor. Trust me, I've tried both before now. Doesn't help if the thing you're performing in has the word "ethnohermeneutic" in it but that's unlikely to be used in Pokémon.

Nooo I didn't mean my commentary. I meant in my GCSEs :p

It was always one of my dreams, but I never got round to it and just focused on computer stuff.

Edited by Serebii

Can't be a film, needs portability. :p

I'm only messing guys!

I'm only messing guys!

But that goes against everything Pokémon is!

I'm only messing guys!

Lol, the film will ONLY be distributed on UMD and 3DS cards, so can only be viewed on the 3DS and PSP.

Haha, maybe on an old school GameBoy cartridge, too.

I'm only messing guys!

I can only assume it will be a silent movie, as voice chat might offend some of the younger members of the audience.

So, everyone over on the forums on Serebii seem to want a rehash of already existing stories from either the movies, anime or games.

Way to think big, guys...

Lol, the film will ONLY be distributed on UMD and 3DS cards, so can only be viewed on the 3DS and PSP.

Haha, maybe on an old school GameBoy cartridge, too.

Some films and TV shows were released on GBA.

So, everyone over on the forums on Serebii seem to want a rehash of already existing stories from either the movies, anime or games.

Way to think big, guys...

You realise the term is live action remake...right?

You realise the term is live action remake...right?

The report doesn't make a mention of it being a remake.

Unless you mean in the inspirational sense, such as with comics for comic book movies? Otherwise, I think there's been a bit of a misunderstanding.

Sign in to follow this