NEurope
Hero-of-Time

If Nintendo charge to play online with the NX, would you pay?

Looks like we may not hear anything about the online system until the Switch has been released.

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

This service lets Nintendo Switch owners enjoy online multiplayer gaming as well as a dedicated smartphone app that connects to your Nintendo Switch system and helps you connect with friends for online play sessions.

Check back for more details on the service and its features after the Nintendo Switch system launches.

Crazy that it looks like they will be launching the console without actually telling consumers what they are getting into.

Looks like we may not hear anything about the online system until the Switch has been released.

Crazy that it looks like they will be launching the console without actually telling consumers what they are getting into.

Annoying, but I think it;'s because none of it will launch until the autumn. Initially we'll just play online. But the app, free VC game and any extras will be autumn, which is a tad irritating.

This is sad news and gives the impression of business as usual with regards to online for Nintendo.

This is sad news and gives the impression of business as usual with regards to online for Nintendo.

I just getting the impression this whole launch is being rushed. I think you said the same thing in one of the threads the other day and I agree. The online not being ready, along with the less than impressive launch line up, leaves me feeling they are just trying to get the Switch out the door before the fiscal year ends.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I just getting the impression this whole launch is being rushed. I think you said the same thing in one of the threads the other day and I agree. The online not being ready, along with the less than impressive launch line up, leaves me feeling they are just trying to the Switch out the door before the fiscal year ends.

Yeah, I reckon for some reason the March release date was set and everything else (Zelda, launch games, online) has had to be rushed to be ready for the launch. Looks like online had to give.

This is interesting:

After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.

This is interesting:

After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.

That could be similar to the other consoles where free to play or subscription games dont require PS+ or Xbox Live.

This is interesting:

I imagine it will exclude MMOs (DQX is on the Switch) just like the other consoles do. If they start picking and choosing what games will be free and what games won't, then they are gonna end up opening another can of worms.

I'm tempted to let GAME try and sell me on a pre-order then let them down when they can't tell me about the online service. How can you be selling console in the current marketplace without revealing details of your online system/infrastructure until after it's out!? Surely that isn't offering consumers a properly informed decision - not one I'd be taking given what we've got at the moment. Do agree it feels rushed though - as time goes on since Friday I feel more and more like this is another, if not even worse, Wii U situation.

I'm also intrigued by the weird sort of limbo period - will there be online there? Testing the waters? Mixing things up and evolving? Changing it around depending on response? I suppose it could be argued that having a system sitting outside of the console would give them some flexibility in making changes to it?

It's launching with functional multiplayer, with features to be added later. Why is everyone losing their minds over this?

Not like we had high expectations in the first place.

Because it's Nintendo? :p

I agree with this, but probably for the opposite reason you mean :)