NEurope
Hero-of-Time

If Nintendo charge to play online with the NX, would you pay?

The voice chat "solution" on Switch doesn't work as...you don't have enough hands.

You need two hands to hold the Switch plus JoyCons (yuck). But, you also need a hand to hold onto your phone. What's the solution there? Place the phone on your lap? Ok, but surely the volume will worsen as the microphone will be further away?

The voice chat "solution" on Switch doesn't work as...you don't have enough hands.

You need two hands to hold the Switch plus JoyCons (yuck). But, you also need a hand to hold onto your phone. What's the solution there? Place the phone on your lap? Ok, but surely the volume will worsen as the microphone will be further away?

Bluetooth earphones?

Well you'd just slap the phone in your pocket and have your hands-free headphones in... but, what about the interrupting noises of the phone? Phone calls, texts, notifications... also, smart device batteries aren't exactly great, this will be yet another drain on them!

People will be playing and voice chat will cut out as their phone battery will have run out.

All in all it's stupid.

Well you'd just slap the phone in your pocket and have your hands-free headphones in... but, what about the interrupting noises of the phone? Phone calls, texts, notifications... also, smart device batteries aren't exactly great, this will be yet another drain on them!

People will be playing and voice chat will cut out as their phone battery will have run out.

All in all it's stupid.

OK, the battery shouldn't be a problem, you can plug the phone into a charger when you start playing, but I am a bit worried about the interrupting (maybe they will find a way around it).

But all in all I do agree with you, there shoud be an option for VC without using the phone, but at least they have included it so maybe it will turn out good.

Bluetooth earphones?

That is a solution, but then it's also paying for more hardware. It's just another thing to think about.

So.... seriously, from what we know, how do people feel about switch Online (with plenty of unknowns) vs Wii U online?

Personally I think Wii U online is better from what we know.

1) price - free>paid

2) functionality - on par. Skype + online matchmaking

3) vc - 100% free choice from the entire collection and 100% optional.

For me the switch "free" game idea needs to be fixed.

I think they need to incorporate a "unlock" option, where for maybe up to a month after the rental period ends (or even during) you at least get a £1 discount from the purchase price of the game you rented (assuming £12 a year cost).

from a vc point of view that makes a bit more sense than the drip feeding, people are "forced" to choose a game from the options given, try it, and if they don't like it, only £1 lost, if they do they can take the plunge. I also think that if you choose to purchase a vc game during your subscription period you should have the option to rent one of the other choices as well. Maybe if they provide 10 choices a month (without repeats) it wouldn't feel so bad.

How I see it happening though is only getting a choice of 1 nes game or 1 snes game. Like neither? oh well. And discount if you want to buy it permanently? nope.

Anyway, we have plenty of time to see.

November 2013 I got a wii u with 2 games for £200. In March 2017 ( 3 years and 4 months later) I'm not ready to buy a switch for £280 with no games!!! And effectively, if it's £6 a year online subscription, £310, £340 for a £12/year sub.

If the Switch is still out next year and there is a good library (by which I mean 30 full titles either out or definitely coming) I'll bite.

I prefer the online system of the Wii U as it has no additional cost, but I'm hoping it'll be a bit easier to stomach the new Switch proposal when more details are known and certain concerns are addressed or clarified.

If Nintendo want to charge anything close to other systems for their online service, they had better provide an online service worthy of that fee. Otherwise it's just an unnecessary entry barrier for a system seemingly plagued with issues before it has even released.

@kav82 get in here!

What a tool! I despise this guy so much.

What about those who actually have no issue wearing a headset and haven't done since the original Xbox days? How about giving us the option of using the app or using the standard way that every other console has been doing for years now! This company simply annoys and frustrates me now. They really do.

I dislike having to use my phone, and rinse its battery, for such stuff. I also am completely lacking in my 'earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device' so he can fuck off there too.

Basically online IS as bad as some of us were reading it; and to me that isn't really a service I'm keen on right now on a console that I'd be paying that much money for. Just isn't good enough - so I won't.

@kav82 get in here!

What a tool! I despise this guy so much.

What about those who actually have no issue wearing a headset and haven't done since the original Xbox days? How about giving us the option of using the app or using the standard way that every other console has been doing for years now! This company simply annoys and frustrates me now. They really do.

Holy fucking, fucking shit.

Unbelievable. A bulky headset! What on Earth is this guy talking about?!! Why would anyone in their right minds want to do this via a phone at a cost??

Once again we learn how out of touch he and Nintendo are, and once again this still surprises me.

All in all it's stupid.

But you could use the same headset and just have it plugged directly into the console, just like people do for PC gaming. That means that you get the audio of both the chat and the game coming through the same device and it's won't all get picked up by the mic.

Unless there's something really smart going on where the app tethers the phone to the console so it can be used as a control interface and the audio/mic is streamed between the console and the phone then I don't see this as a solution.

But you could use the same headset and just have it plugged directly into the console, just like people do for PC gaming. That means that you get the audio of both the chat and the game coming through the same device and it's won't all get picked up by the mic.

Unless there's something really smart going on where the app tethers the phone to the console so it can be used as a control interface and the audio/mic is streamed between the console and the phone then I don't see this as a solution.

This is what I was saying. In its current state it's stupid. It should be on the console.

There's no way that I'll be using a phone for voice chat. :heh:

Nintendo will add an app for the console in time, if not for launch, there's a fair amount of backlash already, I'm sure I even saw that some third party manufacturers have made a headset or at least headphones with a line-in mic for the console, unless I imagined that? :wtf:

Actually, I probably did imagine that but still, you've have thought it was a no-brainer... unless there's a problem with connecting headsets, it shouldn't be an issue with bluetooth though.

Oh well, it'll be a console compatible headset or no voice-chat for me then. ::shrug:

Some random thoughts on this whole online stuff:

- The mobile thing sounds great as an option, but not as a necessity.

- Reggie's bulky headphone comments...jesus someone needs to shut him up. He's great at hyping Nintendo's stuff, but he's also terribly dismissive and critical about anything Nintendo don't do (see also "Twich isn't fun")

- If you don't want them having a bulky headset, give away a smaller headset with the console then as the PS4 and 360 did (and I assume the One but I've never unboxed a One). They're crap but its a starting point.

- How will audio work if using a mobile? If I don't want to use a headset, will it pick up all sounds around me? Never mind the logistics of putting it somewhere that I can hear and be heard.

- Will it pick up (phone) system sounds too? Are we going to find out which of us is more popular on Tinder thanks to Nintendo?

- And it's just one phone, but what the hell is going to happen with the iPhone 7? This will undoubtedly drain the battery (general voice calls do, plus the internet usage and the app being open and Nintendo doesn't seem to have learnt to optimise battery usage on mobile devices yet). There will probably be a lot of people needing to plug in their phone while using this, but if you have an iPhone 7 you can't charge and use headphones. That is obviously not Nintendo's decision, but I'm sure this setup will become more standard during the Swtich's life span.

- And the free VC game really is just playable for that month??!

Geez as it stands it would be better if they just allowed the GamePad to work with Switch and have it run Wii U Chat or whatever it was called :heh:

People in the past have complained about shorter single player games, the lack of A.I bots in games, the increase in paid DLC and bigger focus on online gameplay but in time most people just accept it.

Just for the record, I'm not happy that users will have to pay in future.

I just hope Nintendo are not stupid enough to start messing around with 3DS and Wii U online services as they currently are. This is the thing with Nintendo, they talk about the next big thing and yet give very little away about existing things.

I've only just seen the Nintendo Switch presentation and I have question marks over EA. Good luck with paying for a new Nintendo console, Nintendo's online service and then possibly EA's (Origin/Access) service as well.

Sony rejected EA Access, just wonder what Nintendo will do?

Anyway, as someone who rarely plays online and will be a late adopter to Switch, the whole thing isn't going to affect me much.

People in the past have complained about shorter single player games, the lack of A.I bots in games, the increase in paid DLC and bigger focus on online gameplay but in time most people just accept it.

Just for the record, I'm not happy that users will have to pay in future.

I just hope Nintendo are not stupid enough to start messing around with 3DS and Wii U online services as they currently are. This is the thing with Nintendo, they talk about the next big thing and yet give very little away about existing things.

I've only just seen the Nintendo Switch presentation and I have question marks over EA. Good luck with paying for a new Nintendo console, Nintendo's online service and then possibly EA's (Origin/Access) service as well.

Sony rejected EA Access, just wonder what Nintendo will do?

Anyway, as someone who rarely plays online and will be a late adopter to Switch, the whole thing isn't going to affect me much.

Don't think EA access will be coming simply as I don't think EA support will last wrong.

Don't think EA access will be coming simply as I don't think EA support will last wrong.

Sadly I agree. EA during the Switch presentation didn't give me much hope.

I just..can't understand why they can't have a simple bluetooth headset for the switch. I don't believe their laughable reason that its because the headsets are "bulky". I doubt a single person reading that finds any of the headsets for the ps4/Xbox One bulky and of course, those consoles offer simple earbuds with built in mics as an option anyway. I don't even use voice chat in games and I think its completely stupid they won't support a basic feature like this.

Overall I think Nintendo charging for Online is actually a pretty huge mistake. They simply don't have the reputation to take their online services behind a paywall. If they had built a relatively large library of games that use online gaming over the past 5 years or so and added more then the basic features to these games that do use online, then it would be a different story, but they simply haven't. They have for the most part, done the bare minimum when it comes to online gaming and now they think they can charge for it by throwing in an 30 year old NES game for free, for a month.

Also, imagine if the Wii U had charged for its online service, with its low number of games that actually use online...how many people would still be playing Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 today? I'd hazard a guess that it would be very little.

Overall I think Nintendo charging for Online is actually a pretty huge mistake.

People complained when Microsoft released the Xbox 360 and you had to pay for it's Xbox Live Gold service especially as online play was free for the original Xbox.

People complained when Sony released the PS4 and you had pay for Playstation Plus for online play even though online play was free for Sony Vita, PS3, PSP and PS2 but people got used to it.

Nintendo is just following suit. I don't like it at all but it won't change anything. There's already a petition about this online but the company have already made up their mind.

The problem is if Nintendo doesn't get their act together and actually market this thing and advertise it well, people will be left with a console with a small handful of games asking themselves if it's worth paying for online play. EA predictably will be the first to jump ship.

Edited by sumo73

People complained when Microsoft released the Xbox 360 and you had to pay for it's Gold service especially as online play was free for the original Xbox.

People complained when Sony released the PS4 and you had pay for Playstation Plus for online play even though online play was free for PS3 and PS2 but people got used to it.

Nintendo is just following suit. I don't like it at all but it won't change anything. There's already a petition about this online but the company have already made up their mind.

The problem is if Nintendo doesn't get their act together and actually market this thing and advertise it well, people will be left with a console with a small handful of games asking themselves if it's worth paying for online play. EA predictably will be the first to jump ship.

I agree with @Helmsly, particularly the bit I've highlighted below:

Overall I think Nintendo charging for Online is actually a pretty huge mistake. They simply don't have the reputation to take their online services behind a paywall. If they had built a relatively large library of games that use online gaming over the past 5 years or so and added more then the basic features to these games that do use online, then it would be a different story, but they simply haven't. They have for the most part, done the bare minimum when it comes to online gaming and now they think they can charge for it by throwing in an 30 year old NES game for free, for a month

Are there enough online games, features and functions on Nintendo systems to warrant a cost for playing online? It's arguable, but I'd personally say no. The library there just simply hasn't been enough with their previous systems and we haven't seen enough so far with the Switch to warrant that cost.

It's not about the cost itself, it's about value for money.

On the Wii U, realistically I suspect online usage is more or less 99% Splatoon, MK8 and Smash. So if (and we have to make assumptions here) it is £12 a year, 60 over 5 years, that adds £20 to those 3 games. What games does Nintendo have that could actually make the online worth having? Obviously the three above mentioned.... smash football.... Beyond that I am genuinely struggling. I suppose a Starfox zero with multiplayer co-op (or even vs modes) would follow the seeming route of taking the Wii U library, charging for it to be portable. Fire emblem warriors I suppose... a metroid universe game where you play as a squad of space marines :D

yeah I can't really see much scope for Nintendo to make the online worth while with just those games. The VC title free for a month is actually fine, as in it is inoffensive, but it should be a tiny added perk, part of a bigger package. There are plenty of things they can add in without pushing the cost to themselves up significantly.

Hopefully they'll see the response and work on improving what they are proposing.

On the Wii U, realistically I suspect online usage is more or less 99% Splatoon, MK8 and Smash. So if (and we have to make assumptions here) it is £12 a year, 60 over 5 years, that adds £20 to those 3 games. What games does Nintendo have that could actually make the online worth having? Obviously the three above mentioned.... smash football.... Beyond that I am genuinely struggling. I suppose a Starfox zero with multiplayer co-op (or even vs modes) would follow the seeming route of taking the Wii U library, charging for it to be portable. Fire emblem warriors I suppose... a metroid universe game where you play as a squad of space marines :D

yeah I can't really see much scope for Nintendo to make the online worth while with just those games. The VC title free for a month is actually fine, as in it is inoffensive, but it should be a tiny added perk, part of a bigger package. There are plenty of things they can add in without pushing the cost to themselves up significantly.

Hopefully they'll see the response and work on improving what they are proposing.

This is the biggest issue for me. Paying to play games but what games? It isn't like the other platforms which have third party games.

By the time they launch this paid service they need to have a serious calendar in place showing a constant stream of games first party and third party with online gaming or the question will be 'what am I paying for?'

This is the biggest issue for me. Paying to play games but what games?

Exactly. With Microsoft and Sony, you have a pretty huge list of games that use online. I don't like paying for it but at least with their consoles, you know there's at least 20+ titles a year that use it. Plus the other bells and whistles that come with paying for a subscription. I believe Xbox Live gets you two free Xbox One games and one Xbox 360 game a month, as well as deals in their online store.

With Nintendo we have the age old worry about third party support. If by some chance the Switch ends up with Rocket League, CoD, Overwatch etc, it would be worth it, but I have zero confidence in that happening. I get the feeling Switch is going to be the same as the Wii U. And as much as i have played Splatoon, i would never have payed a subscription for the privilege of playing that game and the occasional game of Mario Kart 8.

Exactly. With Microsoft and Sony, you have a pretty huge list of games that use online. I don't like paying for it but at least with their consoles, you know there's at least 20+ titles a year that use it. Plus the other bells and whistles that come with paying for a subscription. I believe Xbox Live gets you two free Xbox One games and one Xbox 360 game a month, as well as deals in their online store.

With Nintendo we have the age old worry about third party support. If by some chance the Switch ends up with Rocket League, CoD, Overwatch etc, it would be worth it, but I have zero confidence in that happening. I get the feeling Switch is going to be the same as the Wii U. And as much as i have played Splatoon, i would never have payed a subscription for the privilege of playing that game and the occasional game of Mario Kart 8.

My hope is that after the trial period of free online gaming on the Switch is over (Autumn 2017) that people who buy the console 'new' after that time could have a month or a small period of time free from Nintendo or some incentive where the first month is cheaper. Microsoft did this with Xbox Live. Nintendo can not just rely on the Nintendo faithful who are already pre-ordering this system make this system a success. The competition with PS4 and Xbox One is going to be tough enough already.

I'm going to be a late adopter to the system so I'm hoping that I can buy a months pass just to see how good the online system is. Since Nintendo have not even said how much that will cost or even if you can buy from a month at a time, I guess many are just going to have to wait until further announcements are made.

Edited by sumo73

My hope is that after the trial period of free online gaming on the Switch is over (Autumn 2017) that people who buy the console 'new' after that time could have a month or a small period of time free from Nintendo or some incentive where the first month is cheaper. Microsoft did this with Xbox Live. Nintendo can not just rely on the Nintendo faithful who are already pre-ordering this system make this system as success. The competition with PS4 and Xbox One is going to be tough enough already.

I'm going to be a late adopter to the system so I'm hoping that I can buy a months pass just to see how good the online system is. Since Nintendo have not even said how much that will cost or even if you can buy from a month at a time I guess many are just going to have to wait until further announcements are made.

I think from what was said officially it is monthly. They may have an annual pass as well. Whether I get this is in the balance, they need to offer a compelling system for me to pick it up, even then I will likely sit it out. I entered a couple of competitions to win one... if I do win one then cool, I'm all in. otherwise.... the wii u is dead, the 3ds has very little to offer now, if they don't hook me in within the first few months I can see myself sitting out from gaming altogether.

I think from what was said officially it is monthly. They may have an annual pass as well. Whether I get this is in the balance, they need to offer a compelling system for me to pick it up, even then I will likely sit it out. I entered a couple of competitions to win one... if I do win one then cool, I'm all in. otherwise.... the wii u is dead, the 3ds has very little to offer now, if they don't hook me in within the first few months I can see myself sitting out from gaming altogether.

Thanks for clearing things up because the official stuff on their website plus a few other sources were very vague about the whole thing.

Since more games often have a bigger focus online I guess a lot of people will pay for online Switch play in order to see the games full experience. As for me I'm gonna wait and see how the console and games turn out.

Edited by sumo73