NEurope
Hero-of-Time

If Nintendo charge to play online with the NX, would you pay?

I remember when MS charged and plenty Playstation users said the same thing about MS ripping people off and Sony was better as it was free.......then the PS4 happened.

Not sure what the general consesus in these forums were but I for one was pissed when the PS4 happened.

However, after experiencing the online functionalities I have to say that I'll gladly spend money for that. Especially with the PS+ games every month.

From what I've read, Nintendo's offering seems weak. One SNES or NES game which you can play for only one month? And no OS level party chat...

I know that we haven't heard all about it, especially the pricing, but everything I've heard doesn't fill me with confidence.

Happy to be proven wrong by Nintendo, though.

I remember when MS charged and plenty Playstation users said the same thing about MS ripping people off and Sony was better as it was free.......then the PS4 happened.

Actually as I recall most PS3 users on here were already signed up to Plus so already paying for it before it became mandatory.

Obviously free is better than paying but Nintendo's service sounds poor and I'm surprised they're charging.

Actually as I recall most PS3 users on here were already signed up to Plus so already paying for it before it became mandatory.

Obviously free is better than paying but Nintendo's service sounds poor and I'm surprised they're charging.

Yeah but PS plus was optional. People could still play online.

Free is nice but what's most important is the service. It's why live charging was never an issue as it was very very good.

It's up to Nintendo to make sure they justify charging whatever the cost will be.

Online Play on Nintendo Switch

You’ll be able to play compatible co-op and competitive games online by signing in with your Nintendo Account. Online play will be free for Nintendo Account holders until our paid online service launches in fall 2017.

After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.

This service is only for Nintendo Switch. It does not affect Wii U or Nintendo 3DS systems or online play.

Planned for fall 2017

Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

Monthly game download

Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

Exclusive deals

Special offers for subscribers may include discounts on select digital games and content.

Nintendo.com

Let's see how much they charge for it.

They've realised a features list and it is incredibly underwhelming. With how expensive everything else is I can see this being more expensive than the competition - with one free game per month, a VC game most of us will already own, only playable for that one month, but hey, we get to use an app on our mobile phones for voice chat...

Is that app called Skype?!

In a trying to be positive mode with this voice chat business, I mean at least we can sync any wireless headset and such... My worry is does it take the sound from the phone in full? So will phone sounds play too, or calls, can we use the phone while chatting online?

It sounds gimpy, but maybe it is a reasonable solution? I mean it's perfect for online out and about I guess....

They've realised a features list and it is incredibly underwhelming. With how expensive everything else is I can see this being more expensive than the competition - with one free game per month, a VC game most of us will already own, only playable for that one month, but hey, we get to use an app on our mobile phones for voice chat...

Is that app called Skype?!

In a trying to be positive mode with this voice chat business, I mean at least we can sync any wireless headset and such... My worry is does it take the sound from the phone in full? So will phone sounds play too, or calls, can we use the phone while chatting online?

It sounds gimpy, but maybe it is a reasonable solution? I mean it's perfect for online out and about I guess....

The monthly download thing is laughable. Who wants a snes or nes game.

Maybe that's why they've done it that way Dazzy? As it technically is a good solution to the problem of playing online when you're not at home. But who would do that out and about?

Not justifying it as it's shite, but maybe that's their way of thinking.

I rarely play online at all these days so it doesn't other me too much ( cry for me, lone gamer ) but it's such a huge part of gaming these days that they really need to do more than what is being offered. Maybe they will, it's early days. But they've left it to long to adopt a proper online structure so are always playing catch up.

@Aneres11 Have you tried a system like this before? Whatever mic you are using will pick up the sound of the game itself and then everyone else get to hear that. Multiply by 3 people and it's noisy as hell. You want combined sound coming in over headphones.

The price they charge will be very interesting. PS plus and Xbox live are only around £3 a month and have far better features atm.

Sent from my *redacted* using Tapatalk

@Aneres11 Have you tried a system like this before? Whatever mic you are using will pick up the sound of the game itself and then everyone else get to hear that. Multiply by 3 people and it's noisy as hell. You want combined sound coming in over headphones.

Can't say I have actually no.

I imagine it's rubbish to be honest. But the whole idea of having to use an app in the first place is rubbish.

Didn't think of how it would be in real world use but it's probably torturous.

Was chatting to @Kaepora_Gaebora about the online service earlier and it's a mixed bag in many ways.

Using it through a smartphone is a nice way of handling it out and about (if that even is offered), but has its problems at home. I've had enough awkward Skype and dial-in meetings to be cautious about having to speak to a phone that may pick up other sounds (presume they'd voice filter or whatever to only pick up speech but who knows with Nintendo sometimes). And what about system sounds from my phone? Will they be muted? Will it essentially switch it into an airplane-like mode?

Having stuff like notifications and that on the phone is a nice way to prevent it from clogging up a screen, but as an extra. If everything is just through a phone it's baffling. If this was done in addition to standard OS-level stuff it would be great and a real show to Microsoft and Sony about what can be done. As it is... [jackie chan image]

I mean if its phone only then what are kids supposed to do that dont have phones yet? Is this another example of Nintendo taking their kid protection stuff too far?

I mean if its phone only then what are kids supposed to do that dont have phones yet? Is this another example of Nintendo taking their kid protection stuff too far?

My guess would be this is exactly why they've gone down this road...

Personally this is, for the time being, me out. With the price of the stand alone unit, it needed to have free online for me to be in.

With the free nes/snes game... fair enough it only being for one month so long as there is a large enough choice. It actually, for me, is better than their current vc, I can try out games and if I like them presumably I can buy them at the end of my trial period (or just have completed them within the month).

with online multiplayer I think that is a good step up for the vc.

As for online... this system, so far asks me to pay for a system that I can already get for free with the Wii U... so I am baffled here. I would hope the switch itself can connect direct to a headset and has stuff built into the o/s as I believe has already been said.

Anyway... I am actually happy because for a while there I was tempted, and I don't really have the cash I want to be spending on a new console right now :D

My guess would be this is exactly why they've gone down this road...

I suspect it has to do with where to place the microphone and speakers on the switch console that works for both handheld AND home console situations. Most kids I know have tablets, I suspect they would also be able to run the app on that. But yeah... will they have a program for PC users too? :D

Was chatting to @Kaepora_Gaebora about the online service earlier and it's a mixed bag in many ways.

Using it through a smartphone is a nice way of handling it out and about (if that even is offered), but has its problems at home. I've had enough awkward Skype and dial-in meetings to be cautious about having to speak to a phone that may pick up other sounds (presume they'd voice filter or whatever to only pick up speech but who knows with Nintendo sometimes). And what about system sounds from my phone? Will they be muted? Will it essentially switch it into an airplane-like mode?

Having stuff like notifications and that on the phone is a nice way to prevent it from clogging up a screen, but as an extra. If everything is just through a phone it's baffling. If this was done in addition to standard OS-level stuff it would be great and a real show to Microsoft and Sony about what can be done. As it is... [jackie chan image]

It's an interesting one; personally I think this could potentially be a huge forward thinking move; everyone has a smart phone, make Nintendo products compatible with smart phones (games, apps for Switch etc) and it all ties in to an eco system which costs Nintendo very little.

However, this is Nintendo we are talking about. The potential is there, but can they capitalise on it and get it 'right'?

If I play games online I'm one to whats app people to organise it that sort of thing...so to have a Nintendo app that does it and maybe lets me get on voice chat if the Switch is at home? The future is here ;)

It's an interesting one; personally I think this could potentially be a huge forward thinking move; everyone has a smart phone, make Nintendo products compatible with smart phones (games, apps for Switch etc) and it all ties in to an eco system which costs Nintendo very little.

However, this is Nintendo we are talking about. The potential is there, but can they capitalise on it and get it 'right'?

If I play games online I'm one to whats app people to organise it that sort of thing...so to have a Nintendo app that does it and maybe lets me get on voice chat if the Switch is at home? The future is here ;)

I disagree...not everyone has a smartphone!

If the only way to have party chat is through a smartphone then it is silly. The app on the phone would be a good idea if the facility to party chat was also available on a OS basis on the system itself.

Based on current information people (without smartphones) would have to shell for the Switch AND a smartphone (which could be the latest models) just to be able to voice chat.

I can't believe this is what they've come up with... and it's a paid service! Hahahaha

I can't believe this is what they've come up with... and it's a paid service! Hahahaha

Its the Nintendo way, they have to be different!

Even if it makes no sense at all, they can't be seen to be copying their competitors.

Oh and I have a Windows Phone, I aint buying a new phone just to use voice chat on a games console....

I disagree...not everyone has a smartphone!

If the only way to have party chat is through a smartphone then it is silly. The app on the phone would be a good idea if the facility to party chat was also available on a OS basis on the system itself.

Based on current information people (without smartphones) would have to shell for the Switch AND a smartphone (which could be the latest models) just to be able to voice chat.

Well, I was generalising, but I would say the majority of people nowadays do and, more importantly, people who are interested in their technology and therefore this will likely have some smart device. It's such a common thing now, I resisted for ages but joined the gang eventually!

I did like that's parental controls video actually; not that my 7 month old will need it just yet but the connection between smart phone and Switch looks really interesting.

I did like that's parental controls video actually; not that my 7 month old will need it just yet but the connection between smart phone and Switch looks really interesting.

That video is adorable. Probably my favourite part of this whole thing.

tumblr_ojph5x3ZZS1rby4vso1_500.gif

I think Jr found Dad's special picture collection.

For just playing online, I'd give a rock solid no.

But I could definitely see myself paying a monthly fee to get access to EVERYTHING on the Virtual Console.

@kav82 get in here!

On whether you lose access to each month’s game ends the month ends with Switch’s paid online service…

Reggie Fils-Aime: Correct. It means that essentially you’ve got access to that game for a period of time, and then after the month there’s a new selection. You’ll have the opportunity to buy it, but [after] that month we’ve moved on to another game.

I think it would be helpful maybe to step back. Because I think it’s important there’s an understanding of the bigger vision. The bigger vision is that we are going to provide an overall online service, subscription-based, that not only will capture the multiplayer opportunity, but also the voice chat capability that we’re going to provide through a global app. We think that that’s just as important as access to Virtual Console content.

The reason for that is, it continues to reinforce our commitment to online, and do so in a way that will enable the consumer to enjoy their Nintendo Switch and to still be able to play those connected experiences—like Splatoon, like Kart, like fill in the blank—while they’re on the go. Instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you’ll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device. We think that’s a pretty sweet solution. That’s part of the overall opportunity that we see in a subscription service.

What a tool! I despise this guy so much.

What about those who actually have no issue wearing a headset and haven't done since the original Xbox days? How about giving us the option of using the app or using the standard way that every other console has been doing for years now! This company simply annoys and frustrates me now. They really do.

Reggie can fuck right off, it's a terrible way to go about getting voice chat on the thing! Why not just slap it on the console..?! Pure idiocy, that's why!

Reggie just seems like a terrible PR man to me. He always comes across as really defensive and now has this habit of shitting on stuff gamers actually like. Last time it was sharing and streaming services, this time it's wanting to use actual headsets etc for voice chat instead of shitty earbuds connected to your phone.

I'm just glad Nintendo consoles have never been ones I want to do any online stuff with as otherwise I'd be pretty pissed at this instead of just amused and how fucking stupid they are.

The one free SNES/Nes game a month thing is so funny. They seem to think giving people 30 days access then taking it away is value for money. Jokers.

The voice chat app again is just pathetic. Who wants to have to use another device to enable voice chat on the system one is playing. Makes no sense at all.