NEurope
Hero-of-Time

If Nintendo charge to play online with the NX, would you pay?

Nope. And most on here already know the reason because I moan about it enough LOL (unstable connection, drops, speed throttling...you pay for the best and still get shit...)

Nope. And most on here already know the reason because I moan about it enough LOL (unstable connection, drops, speed throttling...you pay for the best and still get shit...)

Don't have any of those problems. Maybe your broadband is just a bit fucked?

Edited by Sheikah

There would really have to be something else on offer (like the free monthly games you get with PS+) for me to consider paying for online play.

Well, I say that now, but in reality all it would probably take is Mario Kart 9. :hehe:

There would really have to be something else on offer (like the free monthly games you get with PS+) for me to consider paying for online play.

Well, I say that now, but in reality all it would probably take is Mario Kart 9. :hehe:

Yeah, basically this :D, the forum league is actually good enough reason for me to pay for it :D.

I'd totally pay, if it were similar to the PSN/Xbox Live deal. I mean, Nintendo has yet to have an online system which really lets players interact, so it would be about time.

Don't have any of those problems. Maybe your broadband is just a bit fucked?

anigif_enhanced-12000-1406595908-3.gif

anigif_enhanced-12000-1406595908-3.gif

His response could have been about the game network; wasn't clear from his post.

Well I took the comment 'you pay for the best' to mean his broadband.

If Nintendo offered a reason for me to pay for online, then i would.

The current online model, leave it as it is (think of it as Xbox Live Silver). The paid model (Gold) would be the upgrade, so maybe party chat and a few additional features within (perhaps a Miitomo-style mode for interacting with friends when they come online). Also, maybe a library similar to PS Now. Except Nintendo let you download the game for the duration instead of streaming (we know what Nintendo's online is like). And access to the cloud to store saves*

Both the free and paid should let you play online regardless.

*Of which i do finally hope that Nintendo catch-up and offer cross-buy.

*Of which i do finally hope that Nintendo catch-up and offer cross-buy.

I'm still not sure if they will implement this, much to my annoyance. Right now Nintendo have the ability to do it with the Wii U and 3DS SNES titles but it hasn't happened, for whatever reason. ::shrug:

Also, maybe a library similar to PS Now. Except Nintendo let you download the game for the duration instead of streaming (we know what Nintendo's online is like).

Don't quite understand this. Nintendo's online is brilliant for downloading and stuff, very quick. I think infinitely better than ps4/vita which seems painfully slow (though admittedly a vast improvement then on the ps3.).

nintendo's problems are how good the service is - it doesn't go down like PSN does (which is just embarrassing), online always seems to run smoothly and downloads and such has no problems. It's the services they offer which are the big problems.

I'm still not sure if they will implement this, much to my annoyance. Right now Nintendo have the ability to do it with the Wii U and 3DS SNES titles but it hasn't happened, for whatever reason. ::shrug:

IT WILL!!!!! Believe!!!

Im now firmly in the camp that the reason they haven't done it is because they want it to be a "feature" of the nx

IT WILL!!!!! Believe!!!

Im now firmly in the camp that the reason they haven't done it is because they want it to be a "feature" of the nx

I can see many not being happy if they are indeed holding back. It means they are willing to fleece NEW 3DS owners just in order to make an announcement a couple of months later. If they do plan on doing cross buy, then they should have just held off releasing the SNES VC on the N3DS.

Don't quite understand this. Nintendo's online is brilliant for downloading and stuff, very quick. I think infinitely better than ps4/vita which seems painfully slow (though admittedly a vast improvement then on the ps3.).

nintendo's problems are how good the service is - it doesn't go down like PSN does (which is just embarrassing), online always seems to run smoothly and downloads and such has no problems. It's the services they offer which are the big problems.

IT WILL!!!!! Believe!!!

Nintendo have a very limited service compared to Sony/MS; to compare their reliability like this is apples and oranges.

As a further point, a lot of the high profile downtime has been due to attacks on Sony/MS servers. Groups target these consoles because people actually use them.

Also - games download at full speed for me. A lot of people's issues tend to be throttling/setup related.

Nintendo have a very limited service compared to Sony/MS; to compare their reliability like this is apples and oranges.

No it isn't. I don't care how big or small a service is, it should work; pitiful excuse to say - well, we offer more so it's fine we go down so much... You wouldn't give any other company the same leeway I'm sure, say if it was apple.

Also, it's a PAID service, in fact with your apples and oranges, Sony's should kibe even more reliable and perfect than nintendo's.

I guess in sony's case you don't get what you pay for.

I can see many not being happy if they are indeed holding back. It means they are willing to fleece NEW 3DS owners just in order to make an announcement a couple of months later. If they do plan on doing cross buy, then they should have just held off releasing the SNES VC on the N3DS.

I really don't think people will care. People would be more annoyed them not doing it.

I think they should've held off too, or did it a year earlier, but ultimately I really don't think (or more hope) it means it'll never happen.

No it isn't. I don't care how big or small a service is, it should work; pitiful excuse to say - well, we offer more so it's fine we go down so much... You wouldn't give any other company the same leeway I'm sure, say if it was apple.

Also, it's a PAID service, in fact with your apples and oranges, Sony's should kibe even more reliable and perfect than nintendo's.

To be fair, i'm surprised you notice any outages, given how little you are on your Playstation. :p

Having used all 3 of the console makers online services Sonys has easily been the least stable. There was an outage just the other day that lasted half an hour or so. While hardly the end of the world, you are paying for this service and as such it should be working all the time.

To be fair, i'm surprised you notice any outages, given how little you are on your Playstation. :p

Having used all 3 of the console makers online services Sonys has easily been the least stable. There was an outage just the other day that lasted half an hour or so. While hardly the end of the world, you are paying for this service and as such it should be working all the time.

I've got to admit that I find the whole PSN outage thing reeeeally over the top, tbh. We're online a lot (at least 4 evenings a week for at least an hour gaming, before even counting things like Netflix or PSNow) and I can't say it's ever been a laggy service or experienced that much downtime. Never had a problem with download or uploading times either. I think the worst bit was when that whole stuff with the Lizard Squad took place, but we're talking well over a year and it's been smooth since then.

I really don't think people will care. People would be more annoyed them not doing it.

I think they should've held off too, or did it a year earlier, but ultimately I really don't think (or more hope) it means it'll never happen.

I primarily play Destiny on my PS4, which as you know, is an always online game. I think it would be fair to say that I have a good feel for the service...whereas honestly, you don't seem to be on very much (you're on my friends list). And I genuinely can't remember when it last went down for me. It is a really stable service - most of my issues have been with Destiny servers (particularly around events like Iron Banner). Put simply, I think you're just complaining for the sake of it, or have a really shit connection.

As for "apples and oranges" - yeah, what of it? The vast majority of Nintendo games aren't online, at least not always online. So if they went down for a half hour here or there, I doubt you'd even have a clue.

Edited by Sheikah

I've got to admit that I find the whole PSN outage thing reeeeally over the top, tbh. We're online a lot (at least 4 evenings a week for at least an hour gaming, before even counting things like Netflix or PSNow) and I can't say it's ever been a laggy service or experienced that much downtime. Never had a problem with download or uploading times either. I think the worst bit was when that whole stuff with the Lizard Squad took place, but we're talking well over a year and it's been smooth since then.

Well, yeah if you are never online when the outages occur then it's not an issue. :D

As I said earlier, it went down just the other for a lot of the U.K. Also, Gaf had to have a ban on people creating threads for PSN outages because it was happening too often.

I've never had any issues with using things like SKY and the download speeds have always been too notch. It's usually just a signing in/PSN issues that happen.

I've only been annoyed by the PSN going down once. Other times I haven't even noticed and I'm almost constantly on it.

And Nintendo downloads always seem to take longer for me. But then again that could be because I see an update, can't be arsed with it and shut off the console for another six months. Playstation stuff normally downloads whilst I'm sleeping.

Although it was a bit flaky to start with, all of my Wii U updates have downloaded in sleep mode for the last year or so.

What an idiotic comment. It isn't like comparing apples and oranges, more like comparing two different online services - which is something that can be reasonable compared to one another.

Also, no point arguing that you have a Rolls Royce service if the Rolls Royce doesn't run. PSN has had several embarrassing outages and lost customers' data.

What an idiotic comment. It isn't like comparing apples and oranges, more like comparing two different online services - which is something that can be reasonable compared to one another.

Also, no point arguing that you have a Rolls Royce service if the Rolls Royce doesn't run. PSN has had several embarrassing outages and lost customers' data.

The service is actually really good, and as a heavy user of an always online game I would know immediately when I'm playing if it went down. I must have clocked over a thousands hours of online play (especially with Destiny) - and as I've said, I can't remember the last time the network went down. Certainly the messaging system was a bit dodge around the launch of the PS4 and some time after, but now it works really quite well.

I guess my point with the apples and oranges was not to say 'they are completely incomparable'. Because you're right, to some extent an online service can be compared to another, at least in the aspects they share. My point is more that few games use online on Wii U, and very, very few use always online. If it goes down for 30 minutes, there's a good chance you won't even notice it - ie. people are biased to think that system always works. You also have the fact that there are many more things that can go wrong with a more complex service that hosts hundreds/thousands rather than tens of games - although, I concede, since you pay for it you expect perfection.

It's a shame though that people without intimate knowledge of the network use high profile articles to argue their points, but not really surprising. Most of Sony's/X1's high-profile outages have been the result of targeted attacks, usually around Christmas, which again, won't really happen to Nintendo's network as the trolls go for the bigger consoles for maximum impact.

Edited by Sheikah

So, it's finally happening. :D

There sure as hell gonna have to explain to me why their online service is worth buying into because at the moment it ain't looking that great.

So, it's finally happening. :D

There sure as hell gonna have to explain to me why their online service is worth buying into because at the moment it ain't looking that great.

Now watch as the people who complained about paid online start to justify it or at the very least sign up for it. :)

Now watch as the people who complained about paid online start to justify it or at the very least sign up for it. :)

I remember when MS charged and plenty Playstation users said the same thing about MS ripping people off and Sony was better as it was free.......then the PS4 happened.