NEurope
Hero-of-Time

If Nintendo charge to play online with the NX, would you pay?

I'd pay it, whatever it was, but I wouldn't be happy; I'm not happy about paying for plus.... A system I actually rarely go online with (unlike Wii u/3ds) and have enjoyed about 2 plus games the past year.

I think it would be a big mistake to charge for all online. free to play online but pay and you get party chat, an achievement system, a free vc game a month or whatever;Nellie saves etc seems reasonable I guess. Can't see them doing it though.

nellie.jpg

I think two-tiering their online service wouldn't be a great idea.

What would happen if party chat is behind a paywall and you wanted to play with a friend? Call them a cheap sod until they subscribe? :heh:

Well yeah. But that's their prerogative, at least they have the choice. I think and expect Nintendo will offer it all for free.

I think two-tiering their online service wouldn't be a great idea.

What would happen if party chat is behind a paywall and you wanted to play with a friend? Call them a cheap sod until they subscribe? :heh:

Party chat was like that on the 360. No subscription, no party chat.

Party chat was like that on the 360. No subscription, no party chat.

Oh really? Never owned one.

That being said, I don't think Nintendo should be looking to replicate something from 2005 :heh:

Oh really? Never owned one.

That being said, I don't think Nintendo should be looking to replicate something from 2005 :heh:

I think enough time has passed since then for that to now be a viable avenue for Nintendo.

the basic online should be free as it currently is. Having a choice for a gold service for a subscription fee sounds fine so long as it doesn't compromise the online provided for free. I wouldn't pay for it unless when I factor it in to the console/specific game costs and value for money.. if it makes sense then sure.

Like if they sell a console worth £200 to me for £150 I will pay £10 a year over 5 years for example (I don't see that scenario happening but... as an example)

The problem with online is that the quality is reliant on other users. Like say.. need for speed on the WIi U - no one is online on there. if I paid for the service I would want a guarantee - which naturally can't be given. Even splatoon, playing against people on here is tough, even mk8. Fair enough the improved online could draw more players but... really my point is online is only awesome when there are quality players online... much like local multiplayer tbh.

Even splatoon, playing against people on here is tough, even mk8. Fair enough the improved online could draw more players but... really my point is online is only awesome when there are quality players online... much like local multiplayer tbh.

If they improve their service and make it like the competitions then setting up games would be an absolute breeze. You wouldn't have to come a forum and try to organise games. You could go online, see who's playing what, send them a message or invite them to a party and then go from there. Honestly, I would play the likes of Mario Kart and Splatoon a hell of a lot more than I did if such features existed now. If they add them to the NX then they will easily have my money.

I wouldn't be happy, but I'd end up paying it.

I don't believe any console manufacturer should charge you simply to allow you to use features in the games you've purchased. I didn't agree with it when Microsoft did it, I didn't agree with it when Sony started doing it and I wouldn't like Nintendo do go down that route either.

I know people throw in the free game argument and all that, but I don't want digital copies of games, I just want to play the online portions of games I own. I also think Nintendo didn't make enough of their free online in their marketing material for the Wii U. They had the only console fully backwards compatible and with free online.

I don't mind paying for an online service, since the money goes to maintaining the service and keeping the servers up and running.

What I do mind is when you pay that money, and the service keeps going down. (Looking at you PSN...)

If I have to, probably. The only problem is that I have no friends with a Nintendo console and the people I know (but are not really friends) don't really play on-line.

This is actually giving me the idea to form a community here (in my country), so we can meet online more often and play.

I only very rarely play online. So they would have to add extra value to a yearly sub to get me onboard.

What's the alternative? Nintendo is the last bastion of free online gaming.

I hate the whole concept of paying to go online, but at the end of the day they've got you by the short and curlies. At the very least I would expect them to offer lots of their back catalogue as a softener.

I would but the network would have to be impressive. Tenfold improvement on what we get with the Wii U.

What's the alternative? Nintendo is the last bastion of free online gaming.

That is, and always has been, PC.

There's barely anything to play online regarding Nintendo's games anyway, so to me the fact it is free isn't exactly much of a plus point.

That is, and always has been, PC.

There's barely anything to play online regarding Nintendo's games anyway, so to me the fact it is free isn't exactly much of a plus point.

It's all subjective of course, but Smash, Mario Kart, Splatoon and Mario maker aren't bad online games!

It's all subjective of course, but Smash, Mario Kart, Splatoon and Mario maker aren't bad online games!

So very few though. And to be honest, I find the online services for those games quite lacking (to the point that I personally wouldn't be happy to pay for it).

So very few though. And to be honest, I find the online services for those games quite lacking (to the point that I personally wouldn't be happy to pay for it).

Well yeah, but you were talking about it being free isn't a plus, but I don't think it's terrible being able to play all those games for free.

But yeah, if it's paid, they have improve considerably.

Well yeah, but you were talking about it being free isn't a plus, but I don't think it's terrible being able to play all those games for free.

But yeah, if it's paid, they have improve considerably.

I think the best way to say it is simply "you get what you pay for".

Haha, maybe, be nice to have more online games, a better service, and it still be free though!

Definitely agree, and that's kinda what I was getting at. Yeah, it's free. But it's a bit shit.

My problem is that there are too many uncertainties with Nintendo and online.

It's all well and good me saying "if they have Party Chat, then yes"... but thinking about it, there still aren't certainties with their games.

Will they have gimped online options (I'm looking at you, ALL their online games)?

Will the games even have online (I'm looking at you Nintendoland, SM3DW, Pikmin 3)?

I'd need more assurances to say yes.

My problem is that there are too many uncertainties with Nintendo and online.

It's all well and good me saying "if they have Party Chat, then yes"... but thinking about it, there still aren't certainties with their games.

Will they have gimped online options (I'm looking at you, ALL their online games)?

Will the games even have online (I'm looking at you Nintendoland, SM3DW, Pikmin 3)?

I'd need more assurances to say yes.

I think it's safe to say that if they charge for online play they will have online in most of their games and it will have probably most (if not all) of the options the competition has, unless the price for online is 5euros a year, or something like that.

I don't think it's safe to say at all @Kounan! MK8 online options were worse than MKWii's! At least on the Wii game you could create a group and search for games online as that group, as opposed to someone having to search for games and then others to then join them.

Look at the lack of options for teaming up, changing weapons/clothing etc in Splatoon... it's awful! I don't have any faith in Nintendo to get it right, never mind say that "it's safe to say".

I don't think it's safe to say at all @Kounan! MK8 online options were worse than MKWii's! At least on the Wii game you could create a group and search for games online as that group, as opposed to someone having to search for games and then others to then join them.

Look at the lack of options for teaming up, changing weapons/clothing etc in Splatoon... it's awful! I don't have any faith in Nintendo to get it right, never mind say that "it's safe to say".

Yeah, but it's free. We are talking about a service you have to pay for, so even they must know that if they want to charge for it, they have to give a reason for people to do it.

Yeah, but it's free. We are talking about a service you have to pay for, so even they must know that if they want to charge for it, they have to give a reason for people to do it.

Even so, I'd not bet against Nintendo fucking it up!