NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Yakuza 0 (PS4)

How is this the first I'm hearing of Amazon Luna? Where did that come from?

So, I've started playing this, 1 and a half hours in, so I'll refrain on what I think of the gameplay as of now, it's too early.

I just wanted to say a few things.

- I'm incredibly glad that @Dcubed showed me how to systematically change the button layout so that A B X Y matched Nintendo's layout. That impromptu Karaoke session would've been an absolute nightmare otherwise.

- This GIF made up 50% of my prior knowledge of the series;

19d.gif

It's just as hilarious in context!

- So far, not completely engaged with the main plot. Very early days, of course, but the silly tutorials have been more entertaining.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

So far, not completely engaged with the main plot. Very early days, of course, but the silly tutorials have been more entertaining.

I imagine you’re going to be the complete opposite of me ( no surprise there :p ) in that you’ll be more engaged with the general silliness and the side stories more than the main plot.

I just found out a couple of days ago that a mate of mine played this for the first time, fell in love with the series and got the platinum. I may have to revisit the game and achieve that myself. Can’t have that hanging over my head. :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I imagine you’re going to be the complete opposite of me ( no surprise there :p ) in that you’ll be more engaged with the general silliness and the side stories more than the main plot.

I just found out a couple of days ago that a mate of mine played this for the first time, fell in love with the series and got the platinum. I may have to revisit the game and achieve that myself. Can’t have that hanging over my head. :D 

I remember the platinum is a massive grind, but i'm genuinely surprised that you haven't got it before now - seems like it would be right up your street!

18 minutes ago, bob said:

I remember the platinum is a massive grind, but i'm genuinely surprised that you haven't got it before now - seems like it would be right up your street!

It’s doing all the mini games that are the issue. Some of them are an absolute pain. It’s the same in most the Yakuza games, which is why I’ve only got 2 out of the 7 platinums.

So, I've just started Chapter 3 and suddenly, I'm a completely different character! He already won me over when I dodged a drunkard, got right up in his face, and offered him a towel.

Time to give some thoughts so far.

- I hate knives! I can sidestep a bullet aimed point blank at my face like I'm in The Matrix, but give someone a knife and I'm getting shanked 3 times in one fight!

- I'm not going anywhere near Mr. Shakedown if I can help it. The game gave me a warning about how he takes all your money if he beats you up and I'd rather not test that theory. Seems exceptionally harsh.

- I give up! I can't figure out how to use a weapon I've equipped. Can someone tell me so I don't have to go through the whole game punching people?

- @Hero-of-Time was right, I am enjoying the side stories more than the main plot. Can't say I expected to help a dominatrix learn how to be a dominatrix via roleplay, but I did. I have no idea why Kiryu chose to do this in a children's park while actual children were playing there, but whatever. Oh wait, now they're being roped in to help with the roleplay? Kiryu summed it up best when he muttered to himself, "What am I doing with my life?"

- That said, the main plot is serviceable so far. I'm invested... kinda... Will have to see if it holds my attention as I go. Cutscenes go on forever though. Like, wow. And people complain that Fi wouldn't shut up?

- The camera choreography of these minigames is absolutely top-notch! I have never laughed so hard at losing in a slot car race!

Real talk, if the new Mario Party has Slot Car Derby and doesn't have these over-the top camera angles, I'm gonna be very disappointed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Glad to see you seem to be enjoying it!

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

- I hate knives! I can sidestep a bullet aimed point blank at my face like I'm in The Matrix, but give someone a knife and I'm getting shanked 3 times in one fight!

Haha yeah, how annoying knives are is something that doesn't really go away in full force until 5. 

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

- I give up! I can't figure out how to use a weapon I've equipped. Can someone tell me so I don't have to go through the whole game punching people?

If I'm remembering right, once you've got it equipped in your inventory, I think it's down on the D-Pad? 

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I am enjoying the side stories more than the main plot.

Maybe one of the most consistent things about the series is just how strong the substories are, you'll be busting your sides for most of the game and some of the Mose memorable moments are undoubtedly found away from the beaten path. 

That being said, 0 does have a really strong main story compared to other games in the series in my opinion, but it does take a little while to warm up and set everything in place. The cutscenes are long (though I don't remember 0 having particularly long ones compared to the other games?) because they like to throw a lot of exposition at you right out of the gates, but as the game goes on, they'll balance gameplay sections and cutscenes better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

If I'm remembering right, once you've got it equipped in your inventory, I think it's down on the D-Pad? 

Yep, that's it, thanks very much!

I went through the whole game without using any weapons (other than scenery during a fight). Only found out how about 2 chapters from the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bob said:

I went through the whole game without using any weapons (other than scenery during a fight). Only found out how about 2 chapters from the end.

Glad to see I'm not alone.

2 hours ago, bob said:

To be fair, having played 0 to 6, I used equipped weapons very, very sparingly, because it's really not needed. Honestly, you can get by on your fists and having enough items to replenish your health alone. 

That being said, seeing a new Heat Action is always cool, so if you end up with a weapon you haven't come across before, it could be worth equipping it just to see how that Heat Action turns out (if you've upgraded your skills to allow for it to be used, anyways). 

:D 

Lots of spoilers in the videos, so beware if you are wanting to play certain entries but haven't got around to it.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2

As some of you may know, at the start of the year I set myself some gaming goals in the Gaming Diary thread. One of the goals I set was to get around to achieving the platinum on this game. It's a hell of a platinum to go for, with the player needing to 100% the game, finish all of the Climax battles and finish the game a second time on Legend difficulty. I've been ill in bed all week and so decided to finally tackle this challenge and tonight I reap the fruits of my labours.

Fb1Y2vIWAAAePqR?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Even through I finished the 100% stuff last year, the rest of it still took some doing. For starters, winning 10 bets in the cat fighting mini game took ages. The whole thing is RNG based and so it's a constant thing of retrying if you lose and hope that things go your way. It's no wonder that trophy has such a low percentage.

Next, I decided to tackle the Legend difficulty. This wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, especially once you unlock the Zap Gun. I had read horror stories of people getting stuck on chapter 13 and the Virtua Cop style section but I manged to get through it on my second try. After that, it was just a question of Zap gunning my way to victory.

The final step was to tackle the climax Battles. Yeah, these took some doing, with some of them needing very specific strategies to complete. Strangely, the earlier ones seemed a lot harder than the latter. Majima's spin to win moves and Kiryu's Beast stance are stupidly overpowered and make very short work of the Ultimate fights. It was the ones where your health is always draining or you can't take a single hit that offered the real challenge.

My adventure with the game is finally over. It's still one of my favourite games from that generation of consoles and playing through it again just reinforced that opinion. Amazing game and series.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

finish all of the Climax battles

I'm gonna have to get this out of my system:
I've won all of the climax battles I've been a part of. If you know what I mean.

nice-kanye-west.gif

*cough*

Awesome job :peace: 
What was your final playtime? I'm gonna guess...98 hours and 24 minutes.

20 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

As some of you may know, at the start of the year I set myself some gaming goals in the Gaming Diary thread. One of the goals I set was to get around to achieving the platinum on this game. It's a hell of a platinum to go for, with the player needing to 100% the game, finish all of the Climax battles and finish the game a second time on Legend difficulty. I've been ill in bed all week and so decided to finally tackle this challenge and tonight I reap the fruits of my labours.

Fb1Y2vIWAAAePqR?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Even through I finished the 100% stuff last year, the rest of it still took some doing. For starters, winning 10 bets in the cat fighting mini game took ages. The whole thing is RNG based and so it's a constant thing of retrying if you lose and hope that things go your way. It's no wonder that trophy has such a low percentage.

Next, I decided to tackle the Legend difficulty. This wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, especially once you unlock the Zap Gun. I had read horror stories of people getting stuck on chapter 13 and the Virtua Cop style section but I manged to get through it on my second try. After that, it was just a question of Zap gunning my way to victory.

The final step was to tackle the climax Battles. Yeah, these took some doing, with some of them needing very specific strategies to complete. Strangely, the earlier ones seemed a lot harder than the latter. Majima's spin to win moves and Kiryu's Beast stance are stupidly overpowered and make very short work of the Ultimate fights. It was the ones where your health is always draining or you can't take a single hit that offered the real challenge.

My adventure with the game is finally over. It's still one of my favourite games from that generation of consoles and playing through it again just reinforced that opinion. Amazing game and series.

So how did you find all the side stories in the end? If memory serves you skipped the majority on your first playthrough didn't you?

My final play time was well over 100 hours. I think getting 100% was 100+ hours alone, Legend was around 20 and Climax was probably 8-10.

As for the side missions, some were fun, some were filler but ultimately I still wasn't too fussed about them. Although they did flesh out other bits of the main story, which was pretty cool.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

My final play time was well over 100 hours.

Welp, I was way off then :D 

Soooooo...the big question: When are the rest of the Yakuza Platinums coming? :p 

Fair enough :D 

Is Yakuza 6 another nightmare Platinum or was it easier/less time consuming than Yakuza 0's?

Sign in to follow this