NEurope
Agent Gibbs

Kotaku closelined by Hulk Hogan?

Is anyone following the Hulk Hogan Vs Gawker Media trial (owners of Kotaku)

Gawker Media with a net worth of $300million

a TL: DR version is Hulk hogan was filmed having sex (without his knowledge), in it he said some racist things also, Gawker got this secretly filmed tape and plastered it all over their website - the same website that complained about the celebrity nude icloud hack "the Fappening"

Hulk Hogan takes them to court and sues them for $100 million - a laughable sum but considering the hipicorisy and how he was filmed without his knowledge, Gawkers defence of it being in the public interest was weak as shit and despite hilarious jurors being dismissed for being angry at him for certain wrestling matches the trial has gone ahead

He only fucking won, despite it best guesses of a potential moral victory and him getting modest sum........

$55 million in economic injuries + $60 milliion for emotional distress = a massive amount in damages owed by Gawker

And punitive damages will be tacked on top of that $110 million

So what does this mean for Kotaku (and the other media outlets) owned by Gawker

Is this the end for Kotaku?

Loving the obvious wrestling related puns and gif's that are blowing up on twitter right now

Schadenfreude to the max right now

2wga.gif

Edited by Agent Gibbs

I didn't even know this was happening! Wow! (What a crazy sum as well! :o )

Actually, supposedly there's punitive damages to be paid on top of that as well!

oh_boy.png

Good on the Hulk though, what Gawker did was inexcusable. Paparazzi tactics should never be considered acceptable!

$100 million is certainly not chump change and will definitely do some serious damage to Gawker as a whole (the company was worth $300 million in total back in 2009 and they made $6.7m profit out of $45m net revenue in 2014 - so this will decimate the group for sure). The big question here now is... which parts of Gawker will survive...

I reckon that Kotaku will probably be sold to someone else, rather than get shut down though.

Edited by Dcubed

I really can't fucking stand Kotaku and Hulk Hogan was a childhood hero, so there's only one winner here.

WATCHA GONNA DO, KOTAKU?

Hogan isn't the greatest guy, but I'm glad this played out the way it did. Fuck Gawker.

When I saw this I was over the moon. Gawker are deplorable and Kotaku publish utter piss and drivel. I can't wait until the Hulkster gets damages, hopefully they will be enough to sink that whole damn ship!

I didn't realise that Kotaku was so loathed. I've been reading it all this time. I'm so embarrassed.

What should i be reading instead?

As with any site it usually just depends on the author rather than the site itself. I still look at Kotaku from time to time because I follow Patrick Klepek's work from his time at Giant Bomb and I've seen nothing to hint that the site has changed the way he writes his articles.

That's why it always makes me laugh when people claim that sites have a bias against certain companies. Usually showing some "evidence" that is years old from a writer who isn't even there anymore.

I didn't realise that Kotaku was so loathed. I've been reading it all this time. I'm so embarrassed.

Came in here to ask the very same question! I find it fairly enjoyable to browse at work given there's always about 6 new stories on the page.

More importantly though I feel like they're one of the few videogame sites that do actual journalism, at least in so far as I'm aware. The No Man's Sky delay and the PS4 4K both spring to mind as recent stories broken by the site. In those cases both were also news rather than just information given to the site by publishers, which seems to be the way that most videogame 'news' websites work.

Open to the idea that it's not particularly well written, but I'm still interested in why it gets all the hate

Well this is awkward...

Well this is awkward...

Oh crap, do you write for Kotaku?! I had no idea, I'm sorry!

Honestly i have/had no idea why Kotaku is hated, i just loved the schadenfreude of this story, plus Gawker as a whole is a scummy media outlet, but i did some research

These two links give some good examples and explanation, and i can kind of see why they are disliked more now, still think the main reason is Gawker though

wait is there an entire subreddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction

Kotaku is to be auctioned off next week.

Gawker Media is undergoing some changes. The publisher of this site, and many of your other favorite (Kotaku) and least favorite (Deadspin) blogs, will be sold at auction next week.

We should buy Kotaku, think we could club together enough? does Ashley have millions stashed away?

It all counts. Anyone got a briefcase we can put it all in?

Knew I should have got another packet of polos.

What are Univision all about? Can we expect it to have much of an impact?