NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

The Future of Gaming

Let's talk everything that is the future of gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Xbox to PC, from now to 2030 and beyond.

Where do YOU think gaming is heading?

Edited by Julius Caesar

Glad you've made this thread, I've been thinking about posting something similar for a couple of days, since Sony announced more details on PSVR. The last month or so has seen some really interesting developments in regards to the future of gaming.

On the back of that announcement there have been rumours posted by Kotaku of a more powerful Playstation 4 being shown to developers, one that is more capable of handling 4K content but the machine would also likely be more geared towards VR - perhaps having a built in breakout box. I think that incremental hardware upgrades will become more common over the next few years, replacing the traditional 5 year + hardware cycle. Nintendo might well keep with that standard cycle, but Sony and especially Microsoft look to be moving towards incremental upgrades, and these recent rumours will come as no surprise to most.

Phil Spencer's recent indication that the Xbox platform is moving closer to the PC platform, going so far as to offer cross platform networked gaming, is particularly telling. Microsoft seem to be the most interested in creating a multi device platform, where the Xbox is simply the central processing unit in a wider network of devices, where users interact with games on their smartphones, tablets, PC's, Holo Lens, as well as playing games on their TV with an Xbox controller.

Virtual Reality will definitely not be a fad, but it won't take off instantly. The devices that are on their way this year are too expensive for consumers to take up in large enough numbers to convince software developers to invest enough time and money in creating AAA gaming experiences. So I think it will take a few years until VR becomes truly ubiquitous. I can't really be sure if one platform is going to win out and become the VR platform of choice, or if Vive, Occulus and PSVR will all coexist.

In terms of Nintendo, I don't think they will get directly involved in VR with the NX, but they still need to consider VR in their plans, so I would hope that they're conducting their own experiments into the technology and keeping a close eye on the industry. Despite the commercial success of the Wii, it's lack of HD capability left them lagging behind their competitors when it came to producing AAA High Definition games and they are only just beginning to catch up, so when VR really takes off Nintendo need to ensure that they aren't as late to the party as they were with HD content and their online system.

All in all, I think the future is really exciting for gaming but I hope that the plug and play console experience is something that survives.

Personally, I reckon that AR has a much brighter future than VR does. It doesn't suffer from the same anti-social issue that VR has and it has more potential applications outside of gaming.

I'm not sure if Hololens will be the device that kicks everything off in terms of the mass market, but I reckon that it'll happen eventually.

Either way, it looks like increasingly likely that Xbox's future lies as a Windows service and not as a console; given MS' recent words and actions...

I'm becoming increasingly concerned about the lack of local multiplayer features in current games and hope that this trend reverses over the next few years.

My brother got a PS4 earlier in the year and, while he doesn't have the best taste in games, he does have quite a few games that I was gonna check out with him only to discover that we couldn't play together due to any multiplayer gaming being restricted to online play. It's getting ridiculous :nono:

Maybe he just buys the wrong games but I have no interest in PS4 or XBOX One. The NX will hopefully usher in the future of gaming in my house :heh:

Personally, I reckon that AR has a much brighter future than VR does. It doesn't suffer from the same anti-social issue that VR has and it has more potential applications outside of gaming.

I'm not sure if Hololens will be the device that kicks everything off in terms of the mass market, but I reckon that it'll happen eventually.

Either way, it looks like increasingly likely that Xbox's future lies as a Windows service and not as a console; given MS' recent words and actions...

I need to catch up on Hololens as I'm sure the technology is better than other AR I've used, which I've always found to be fennickedy. Just always felt a bit awkward about trying to be in the right position at all times.

I'm becoming increasingly concerned about the lack of local multiplayer features in current games and hope that this trend reverses over the next few years.

My brother got a PS4 earlier in the year and, while he doesn't have the best taste in games, he does have quite a few games that I was gonna check out with him only to discover that we couldn't play together due to any multiplayer gaming being restricted to online play. It's getting ridiculous :nono:

Maybe he just buys the wrong games but I have no interest in PS4 or XBOX One. The NX will hopefully usher in the future of gaming in my house :heh:

Daft and I play plenty of co-op multiplayer games offline on the PS4 so I think it might just be the games your brother plays ;)

Very impressive! Likely using the same IR camera tech as in the right Joy-con I suspect.

• Like 1

Very impressive! Likely using the same IR camera tech as in the right Joy-con I suspect.
Indeed, although the quest has at least 3 outwards facing cameras, so I assume it is triangulating these to work out where the fingers are in 3D space. I can't wait to try it out!
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this