NEurope
Retro_Link

Paper Mario: Colour Splash

I'm tempted to ask for this for xmas. Seems like the perfect winter game. Nice to see that impressions of the game are positive.

You won't be disappointed, so much fun

I'm tempted to ask for this for xmas. Seems like the perfect winter game. Nice to see that impressions of the game are positive.

Yep, the game is an absolute joy that keeps delivering on wacky humour. All the negativity surrounding this game when it was revealed is absolutely hilarious in hindsight.

Really looking forward to getting back to this once I'm done grinding through the Overwatch Halloween event.

Our time together will once again come, my paper prince.

OK, am I the only one who hits an Unfurl Block and purposefully hangs around so I can hear the whole 20 second piece of music?

I think I might have to update my ringtone.

OK, am I the only one who hits an Unfurl Block and purposefully hangs around so I can hear the whole 20 second piece of music?
Nope. :hehe:

You didn't link that vid correctly though, :heh: so let's fix that so we can listen to the awesome Unfurl Block music yet again!: :D

Big band/Jazz is just such a great fit for Mario, and Nintendo's composers and musicians are masters at it now. icon14.gif

I highly recommend it. One of my favorite games of the year.

I checked my playlog today and the game lasted me just shy of 40 hours! There's plenty bang for your buck.

I think your posts have finally sold me on it H-o-T, though like Guy I'll not pick it up until after OW's Halloween stuff's done. Shame about the battle system and things(not having a full/proper levelling system does make it seem like it's a bit redundant for the style) but most else sounds like it's been on point for you so I think I'll give this a go with the hope it takes me back to the good old days! At worst it'll just take me back to Sticker Start, which in itself was still a decent outing :)

Such a beautiful game. Enjoying this tons. The writing is as hilarious as ever and it's a great 'jump-in and jump-out' title.

Love how many toads are in the game too - each with their own funny comments. Brilliant!

wiiu_screenshot_gamep7okll.jpg

Saw what that Toad was saying and now all Toads, in my head, sound like John Inman.

68304378.jpg

Then Peach can play Mrs. Slocombe and make jokes about her pussy all the way through the game.

Edited by londragon

Hoping to pick this up once BT send me an Amazon gift card :santa: Seems like the perfect swansong for the Wii U and will probably be the last title I pick up before I switch over to the switch (still hasn't gotten old).

I haven't played a Paper Mario game since the '64 and I'm guessing having skipped TTYD and the rest, I won't be casting as critical an eye over this as some were? I've skipped all the reviews and have only seen the Toad Youtube shorts. I literally have no idea what to expect except 'less RPG elements'

Damn the Switch! It's making me think I'd love to get this game more(still planning to at some point, but maybe not so soon now) but I'd be less inclined sitting down at home to play it - would love this as a portable like Sticker Star.

Just the 1 Big Paint Star left for me to get now.

While I'm still digging the game, some parts have really tested my patience. Like certain stages (with very annoying traversal methods ;) or enemy patterns) that need to be replayed for additional paint stars, and more than a handful of insta-death moments that are super cheap. :nono:

The fun stuff has definitely outweighed the bad, but it's still a shame as the game could've been a classic, had they just polished up a few sections of the gameplay.

I highly recommend it. One of my favorite games of the year.

I checked my playlog today and the game lasted me just shy of 40 hours! There's plenty bang for your buck.

Not too long before release you were adamant you would not be impressed because it was similar to the 3DS one.

What changed your opinion?

Not too long before release you were adamant you would not be impressed because it was similar to the 3DS one.

What changed your opinion?

Better dialogue, good callbacks from other Nintendo games, not needing special stickers/card at every turn, Toads had character, plenty of content and most importantly, it was fun.

As RedShell pointed out, it's not without it's flaws but its a hell of a lot better than what Sticker Star was.

Better dialogue, good callbacks from other Nintendo games, not needing special stickers/card at every turn, Toads had character, plenty of content and most importantly, it was fun.

As RedShell pointed out, it's not without it's flaws but its a hell of a lot better than what Sticker Star was.

Good to hear! I'm hoping it's gets a re-release on switch as I'm done with the Wii U at this moment in time.

Good to hear! I'm hoping it's gets a re-release on switch as I'm done with the Wii U at this moment in time.

I wouldn't hold my breath. It's a shame to let this one slip by because it's on WiiU. It's worth it!

Unless you've already got rid if your WiiU, that is. ;)

I wouldn't hold my breath. It's a shame to let this one slip by because it's on WiiU. It's worth it!

Unless you've already got rid if your WiiU, that is. ;)

Yeah gave my Wii U away to my cousin in hopes the youth might discover Nintendo as I did. Can't be arsed to buy again with the NS around the corner.

Got the third big paint star last night. This game just gets better and better. The Sacred Woods was a real highlight, ditto the dancing Koopas during the pop star's appearance. The part at the end of the hotel sequence after you deliver the Thing, lovely.

So as someone who adores the Paper Mario series, up untill Sticker Star that is which to me was nor a good Paper Mario game nor a very enjoyable game in general, I am getting the feeling that this game follows the Sticker Star formula in some regards, but is back up to scratch when it comes to dialogue again?

It certainly doesn't seem like it has regained the creativity in terms of NPCs, areas and enemies compared to the first 3 Paper Marios.

Would I be close on the money with my gut on this one?

So as someone who adores the Paper Mario series, up untill Sticker Star that is which to me was nor a good Paper Mario game nor a very enjoyable game in general, I am getting the feeling that this game follows the Sticker Star formula in some regards, but is back up to scratch when it comes to dialogue again?

It certainly doesn't seem like it has regained the creativity in terms of NPCs, areas and enemies compared to the first 3 Paper Marios.

The dialogue and writing is better than any Paper Mario game. They outdone themselves there.

I won't comment on the gameplay, because I enjoyed Sticker Star, so I'm not the right person to ask for you.

You are right about the characters. There are more new variants on enemies (There's an enemy called Juggler Bro, I'll leave it at that) and Toads. But no original characters outside of Huey the paint can.

You are however, wrong about the areas. There's plains and stuff like that, (What Paper Mario game doesn't though?) but there are some really out there places which are very fun and interesting to go through.

I've been wondering where you were at, Fused! I'm contemplating picking this up in the next month or two(money issues delaying me) so will give my opinion if I manage to get round to playing it/sticking with it then. However knowing you're quite a fan of the series, probably more so than me as I generally like the Mario RPGs all round; I'd say Hero-of-Time's posts so far in the thread have felt closest to my sort of feelings/concerns but I found them reassuring so I'd say to give them a read if you aren't fully up to speed with the thread.

You have to ask yourself Fused; could you truly cope with the fact you may actually not play a title from the Paper Mario series? One of your all time favourite series?? I don't think you can really :p Wouldn't even a sub-par Paper Mario already be offering you an experience superior to many other potential games out there??

Ofc, just go in with lower expectations/prepared for what you're going to find and I don't think it should disappoint too much. Then again I think I enjoyed Sticker Star more than you did, so who knows ;)

I genuinely don't remember any other Paper Mario game I've played being this funny and well written. I do wish they'd let you kill more enemies in the field though and not drag you into a battle every five seconds. That's my only issue with an otherwise fantastic game

So the credits finally rolled on this over the weekend.

The writing and references ( RedShell will LOVE one of them

Near the end ) were amazing.

Hehehe! Yep, I did indeed LOVE that. ;):D

The last few hours of the game didn't really change my overall opinion of it though, Color Splash is definitely a mixed bag. :hmm:

There are some really fun, surprising and downright hilarious moments in there, but unfortunately they're also surrounded by some very frustrating gameplay and incredibly tedious sections too.

I think if the series is to be truly successful away from its RPG roots, then they really need to work on how the game plays as more of an action based title, especially when it comes to battles!

Everything else is absolutely spot-on, the writing, humour, visuals, music etc., it just needs to flow better and be more fun to play.

What do you think about the last boss?

I think it was unfair to some extend, I had too many standard (huge) shoes with me so ran out of usable cards too quick. That was quite frustrating. Once I had restocked I found it fairly easy, though.

However, the Luigi Kart-reference was fantastic and that quick remark "Luigi, just stare at him and he'll die!"-ish was fantastic!

What do you think about the last boss?

I think it was unfair to some extend, I had too many standard (huge) shoes with me so ran out of usable cards too quick. That was quite frustrating. Once I had restocked I found it fairly easy, though.

However, the Luigi Kart-reference was fantastic and that quick remark "Luigi, just stare at him and he'll die!"-ish was fantastic!

I thought it was cool but also pretty annoying TBH. And yeah, it took me several attempts due to not having the correct card setup/strategy/timing. :blush::indeed:

Was glad when it was finally over, but for all the wrong reasons, put it that way. :heh:

I've been wondering where you were at, Fused! I'm contemplating picking this up in the next month or two(money issues delaying me) so will give my opinion if I manage to get round to playing it/sticking with it then. However knowing you're quite a fan of the series, probably more so than me as I generally like the Mario RPGs all round; I'd say Hero-of-Time's posts so far in the thread have felt closest to my sort of feelings/concerns but I found them reassuring so I'd say to give them a read if you aren't fully up to speed with the thread.

You have to ask yourself Fused; could you truly cope with the fact you may actually not play a title from the Paper Mario series? One of your all time favourite series?? I don't think you can really :p Wouldn't even a sub-par Paper Mario already be offering you an experience superior to many other potential games out there??

Ofc, just go in with lower expectations/prepared for what you're going to find and I don't think it should disappoint too much. Then again I think I enjoyed Sticker Star more than you did, so who knows ;)

My time has shifted a bit to a new passion: Japanese drumming, and so ever since time for gaming has slowly decreased.

I lost good friends and a lover with who I played a lot of games, so after that I had to pick myself up again. Gaming and the enjoyment thereof was linked to these people, so it took me quite some time to remold my love for vidyagames.

There came a time when I merely browsed GAF and NintendoEverything, and played the new Hitman and the Uncharted series with my housemate on his PS4 and games on my Nintendo systems became an afterthought.However, with the reveal of the Switch my lust for getting into a Nintendo state of mind has been invigorated once again. So I downloaded Harmoknight and Cold Case Investigations: Distant Memories and started watching The Legend of Zelda videos and analysis of the series and stuff...

I am actually traveling around the world a bit (Melbourne, Calgary (Canada) and Japan twice) and I have finding Japanese drumming schools along the way.

Anyways, my backlog has grown, but there are a lot of beautiful games waiting for me when I return home in Februari. All I have with me now is my 3DS.

Regarding Paper Mario: Colour Splash, I definitely won't let it slide, but will try to get it as cheap as possible. The Thousand Year Door might be unbeatable because of nostalgia for me.: peace:

Edit: Sticker Star was just abominably bad to me; a real punch in the gut. I should really get 'round to Dream Team Bros. and Paper Jam Bros. and see if these are able to top Superstar Saga in a way.

Edited by Fused King