NEurope
Retro_Link

Paper Mario: Colour Splash

Nice header!!

I'm very tempted by this game but I'm worried it won't be for me. Is there much platforming or is it mostly just battles and conversations? I loved Sticker Star and Super Paper Mario for the platforming.

Nice header!!

I'm very tempted by this game but I'm worried it won't be for me. Is there much platforming or is it mostly just battles and conversations? I loved Sticker Star and Super Paper Mario for the platforming.

Did you read JBS's review on the main site? Tbh from that and what I've seen of the videos etc I'd take it that if you were a Sticker Star fan then this is probably not a bad punt at all. Not played it to give a fully informed comment though, but I imagine if you liked SS this would be good enough to tick the boxes too.

This game is just stunning and so much fun to play. Nintendo games are usually polished but this takes it to a new level. All the little touches and details add together to make a truly stunning world. Loving it, and I'm only three stages in!

This game is just stunning and so much fun to play. Nintendo games are usually polished but this takes it to a new level. All the little touches and details add together to make a truly stunning world. Loving it, and I'm only three stages in!

Happy you decided to give the game a go.

I cracked on a bit with it last night, although i'm not getting as much time with it as I would have hoped. I nabbed the second Big Paint Star the other night.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

This also gave me a good chuckle last night.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

I haven't reached the third Big Paint Star yet ( hoping to nab it tonight ) but on my way towards it there was a fantastic hotel level. This was followed by a pirate ship stage. Great stuff!

I've got into the habit of hoarding any new cards that I find. I refuse to use them and instead just donate them to the museum. :D

Why, that may be extreme enough in combination with my previous post for you, Ronnie, to admit that even I might be right sometimes ;)

This also gave me a good chuckle last night.

It's sounding to me as if this might be cracking enough in its writing etc to really keep up with the series. The writing/humour has always been the absolute pinnacle of all Mario RPG based games imo - absolute definition of tongue-in-cheek on Nintendo systems. I felt it was a bit weaker in Dream Team(the game on the whole felt a bit longed out and I gave up) but this seems to go back to what I'd expect of it all.

Still...I do feel like it's not something I'd want to drop more than £20-25ish on, which I feel bad about. I must admit I'm generally fussy/miserly when it comes to gaming experiences, but considering how reluctant I am to use my Wii U now it's just got to be at a lesser price for me. As much as I loved Sticker Star it was helped by being portable, the idea of sitting down at home to play this or something else kinda knocks me; though that's why I'm particularly excited about NX if it's fully realised as a hybrid as I think it'd get me playing stuff a bit more really.

I've still got lots of unplayed Wii U games to go - maybe I'll try and pick this up for a go at some point if the price comes down.

I haven't reached the third Big Paint Star yet ( hoping to nab it tonight ) but on my way towards it there was a fantastic hotel level. This was followed by a pirate ship stage. Great stuff!
Just got my second Big Paint Star last night, and then did that cool hotel level you mentioned. :D

I wasn't so keen on the last couple of levels before that though, so was glad to see things pick up again with the hotel one. :)

Just got the first big paint star. It's impossible to go two screens in this game without laughing or grinning inanely. :heart:

It's also easily one of the prettiest games I've ever seen.

I managed to grab the 3rd BPS last night and then nabbed the 4th one this morning before I set off to work.

The battle system is starting to become a bit of a pain and I can see why many are quite happy to just run past the enemies when possible. When one the way to the 4th BPS there are lots of battles that have up to 6 enemies to deal with at once. The battles aren't hard at all, just more of a chore, especially when you think that there's really nothing in it for the player, outside of getting a larger paint meter.

I'm still enjoying it and i'm hoping to get it finished off over the weekend. Just 2 more BPS to go.

Got the first Big Paint Star myself. The dialogue alone is worth the price of entry! Helps that I like the gameplay too.

And I'm so glad they kept the "fail" version of Battle music when you're low on health from Sticker Star. Never fails to crack me up!

Although it does make me want to stay at low health, which is kinda counter-intuitive...

The first Paint Star had 6 levels attached to it. Doing the maths it doesn't seem like there are enough levels remaining to match up with the number of big paint stars left. I hope the rest of them don't feel rushed, the pacing for the first was perfect.

The first Paint Star had 6 levels attached to it. Doing the maths it doesn't seem like there are enough levels remaining to match up with the number of big paint stars left. I hope the rest of them don't feel rushed, the pacing for the first was perfect.

You revisit some areas as they hold multiple small stars but you aren't able to get them until later in the game. Also, there's a few stages that only dish out the one star.

I think the pacing has been fine so far and i've spent a good amount of hours playing the game already. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The battle system is starting to become a bit of a pain and I can see why many are quite happy to just run past the enemies when possible. When one the way to the 4th BPS there are lots of battles that have up to 6 enemies to deal with at once. The battles aren't hard at all, just more of a chore, especially when you think that there's really nothing in it for the player, outside of getting a larger paint meter.
Yep, I've also reached the point of actively trying to avoid most battles. Actually get pretty annoyed whenever I mess up and get jumped by an enemy now. :laughing:

Those occasional Kamek battles are super annoying too. :indeed:

It's a shame, as everything else in the game is so much fun. But the battle system really needed further streamlining and better rewards I reckon. :hmm:

And I'm so glad they kept the "fail" version of Battle music when you're low on health from Sticker Star. Never fails to crack me up!

Although it does make me want to stay at low health, which is kinda counter-intuitive...

Indeed.

Also love that Sticker Star's rendition of SMB3's cursed king theme is back too. Makes getting those Big Paint Stars all the more rewarding.

Mesmerising. :love:

Those occasional Kamek battles are super annoying too. :indeed:

Also love that Sticker Star's rendition of SMB3's cursed king theme is back too. Makes getting those Big Paint Stars all the more rewarding.

Mesmerising. :love:

Yeah, those Kamek battles can be a pain in the backside, especially if you have cards that you want to keep for the museum or for a boss battle.

Yup, that music is awesome.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

So, I've been meaning to mention this...

I honestly didn't expect this game to provide one of the creepiest moments I've ever seen in a Mario game.

273.gif

Mario's "Do not want!" reaction is totally appropriate.

Combined with this music as well.

It's so out of left field. I love it! Who cares if 3 year olds have nightmares for weeks? PEGI cearly loved it!

Edited by Glen-i

So I only just discovered there's an alternate title screen:

WVW69jttEjAViW3azA

Nice touch. :)

Anyway, nabbed the 3rd Big Paint Star tonight.

Despite the odd annoying section here and there, I'm still really enjoying this game, it's just packed full of entertaining little details and fun moments.

So, I've been meaning to mention this...

I honestly didn't expect this game to provide one of the creepiest moments I've ever seen in a Mario game.

Hehehe! Yeah, that was a great moment. :D

This seems to be full of wacky stuff and surprising references, speaking of which, @Hero\-of\-Time you must have got a kick out of that level for the 3rd Big Paint Star.

I seriously wasn't expecting a Metal Gear parody! :laughing:

WVW69jt7RVg6jIVFf8

But yeah, that entire level was just bonkers. :grin:

Another thing which is great about this game is the manual, and how it features notes from the developers (complete with little Toad spoiler warnings). Love it. icon14.gif

The unlockable concept art in the gallery is pretty sweet too:

WVW69jt7t50PrwHgqC

They certainly went all out with the attention to detail in this. :bowdown:

273.gif

Mario's "Do not want!" reaction is totally appropriate.

Combined with this music as well.

It's so out of left field. I love it! Who cares if 3 year olds have nightmares for weeks? PEGI cearly loved it!

Just got the 4th Big Paint Star.

Nice to see they retained the concept of the Rhythm Battle Sticker Star did. That said, Gooper Blooper is a far more entertaining fight than Wendy. So far, the only Sticker Star thing that Incorrect Spelling Splash hasn't done better.

At this point, I can't help but worry the game will continue to blatantly tell you what Thing to use in bosses.

It was fine for the first two bosses, those should be easy to get, and I was glad Ludwig wasn't obvious to figure out without looking through your things. Had to think for a bit before I copped on that the Balloons would probably work.

But then Wendy kept dropping obvious Camera hints. After being hinted during that dungeon that Snifit or Whiffit had what you needed, I didn't really need any more hints.

It's a bit of a shame, I had a feeling this would happen after the complaints Sticker Star got. Those boss battles were mostly more subtle, requiring stuff like observing the background of the battle for Pokey to realise you're in a Baseball Stadium, realising a Sponge would be great for cleaning Gooper Blooper's gunk. You were never flat out told "Use this now!" You had to figure it out.

Colour Splash is still more fun so far though. And I enjoy Sticker Star.

@RedShell Yeah, I loved that little reference. :D

I woke up at 2am this morning and couldn't get back to sleep so cracked on with the game. Seems like Glen-i was also playing at this crazy time in the morning. Guess he couldn't sleep either. Anyway, the credits have just rolled, which, in true Nintendo fashion, are amazing to watch.

Game was fantastic and a MASSIVE step up from Super Paper Mario, Sticker Star and Paper Jam. Finally another worthy entry has entered the Paper Mario series.

The writing and references ( RedShell will LOVE one of them

Near the end ) were amazing. It takes a lot for me to get past cringe worthy jokes but they managed to pull it off with this game.

It wasn't perfect though. The battle system is weird in that in a way it's not really needed and sometimes bogs things down. I also don't care for how certain Thing cards need to be used in certain boss battles and situations. It's not as bad as it was in Sticker Star but it's certainly something I wouldn't miss if they ditched that mechanic.

A fantastic addition to the Wii U library. Highly recommended.

[MENTION=185]I woke up at 2am this morning and couldn't get back to sleep so cracked on with the game. Seems like Glen-i was also playing at this crazy time in the morning. Guess he couldn't sleep either.

@Ugh first aid was watching me as well. And I'm glad she was because...

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more ridiculous boss in Mario RPG history.

Actually got a little bit of a fright when I walked up to it and pressed A to squeeze it but initiated a battle instead. This game loves it's sudden surprise moments but that one caught me completely off guard. Lots of laughs between the two of us!

I too just finished it.

Fantastic game. Really enjoyed it despite my disdain for turn-based RPGs. Story was great, writing was phenomenal, battle system wasn't as bad as people made out. It was just, in general, a fantastic game.

A fantastic way to end the Wii U's exclusive first party releases.

I would recommend it to everyone.

I've still been playing this non stop since early this morning ( nope, haven't been back to sleep yet :p ) and have just finished getting everything in the game.

Some of the side quests were a little tedious at times, especially the enemy cards. You had to find the enemy you needed, battle it and then quit and re-enter the level if the RNG wasn't being generous. Some of them were a pain due to only having a couple of enemies that I needed on a given stage. Still, some of the concept art was well worth unlocking.

Roshambo was also a bit annoying. It's a game of rock, paper, scissors but a lot of the matches are random. If you fail then it's back to the start of the 3 round match.

Finally, finding all the cutouts was quite fun. You get hints from a Toad in the main hub for the sum of 50 coins. You then have to figure out his clue and then find the cutout shape. Some of them are pretty well hidden.

Once again, a fantastic game and will no doubt be my GOTM for October.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Am I the only one sad enough who waits till the end of the intro music before starting a play session? It's so good!!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I'm tempted to ask for this for xmas. Seems like the perfect winter game. Nice to see that impressions of the game are positive.

I'm tempted to ask for this for xmas. Seems like the perfect winter game. Nice to see that impressions of the game are positive.

I highly recommend it. One of my favorite games of the year.

I checked my playlog today and the game lasted me just shy of 40 hours! There's plenty bang for your buck.