NEurope
Retro_Link

Paper Mario: Colour Splash

I kept hitting the 90+ % when I had done a level. The last parts of the levels are often irritating to find and the rewards are not quite worth it in my opinion.

Do you not get anything decent for doing it? No special cards or anything?

Do you not get anything decent for doing it? No special cards or anything?

Nopes.

Just the option to listen to the soundtracks a little later in the game.

Nopes.
Just the option to listen to the soundtracks a little later in the game.

Well, that's a bit rubbish. :(

Ah, don't misunderstand, the game is still quite fun to play with some ingenious puzzles, nice references and dialogue for the most part and lovely audio-visuals. And later in the game you can whack weaker enemies with the hammer to avoid battling them (but there are fewer weaker enemies as you progress but still a means to avoid them).

I can't believe that it's actually being released in this state in Europe...

sonic-colours-wii-cover.jpg

I would've docked a point just for not fixing that...

Great work KG! : peace: Looking forward to playing this some (probably distant unfortunately) day in the future :D

I can't believe it's called color splash.... I'm so tempted to never buy this game!!

I can't believe that it's actually being released in this state in Europe...

sonic-colours-wii-cover.jpg

I would've docked a point just for not fixing that...

I'm very annoyed at NoE, you bother to ruin the pun in M&L Paper Jam, but don't fix the misspelling in this! The one time people wanted you to change the name and you mess up. YOU HAD ONE JOB!

I can't believe it's called color splash.... I'm so tempted to never buy this game!!

It's incredibly annoying to me, you're not the only one. It's not pronounced Co-lore! It's even more annoying when you're a Kecleon fan.

u3s41.png

13 years on, and they still haven't fixed it!

Edited by Glen-i

Feeling like I'll definitely pick this up now, at some point :hehe: I'll probably hold out for a great deal so keep me posted if anyone finds it for a nice price :smile:

For anyone keen, impatient and looking for this on the High Street at a good price, I reserved a copy for collection for £35 at Argos.

Really enjoying this. While inventory management can be a ballache, it has never been an issue for me so far and I'm past the times of paint running out.

This is a fantastic game :)

I want to get this but I've still not finished Dream Team Bros and haven't even started Paper Jam Bros. So I'm all Mario RPG'd out for the foreseeable.

Really wish they'd make another game in the vein of TYD though.

Really enjoying this so far, hopefully it stays that way and this will be a pretty nice game to see out the Wii U. :)

Only a few hours in and it's already provided many laughs, the writing is top-notch.

This got me good:

WVW69jsWF50kj5Q4TJ

:laughing:

Gotta love the visuals too, absolutely fantastic. icon14.gif

Particularly the paint effect, which is just jaw-dropping! I never really noticed before in any of the online videos or trailers, but the paint from Mario's hammer actually covers any objects and terrain it comes into contact with in a completely unique but authentic manner (dripping over the side of walls etc.) before quickly drying up and remaining in place. :cool:

I think it even surpasses what they achieved with Splatoon.

Needless to say I spend a lot of time randomly hammering paint around in this. :D

Not OCD... Completionist nature. ;)

Nah, It goes WAY beyond that. I'm pretty broken. :D

After my other gaming obligations were finished I managed to get a good session on this yesterday afternoon. I managed to get the first big Paint Star and then went back and mopped up all the paint to get 100% on each level, before moving on to the next section of the game.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

This game has certainly changed my opinion on the series. After Super Paper Mario, Sticker Star and then Paper Jam I was pretty down on the Paper Mario games but this has turned things around.

A few reviews came out and said it fixes certain things that Sticker Star got wrong but other points were still a bit of a mess. I think the only downer of the game is the battle system or just battling in general. Even then I think it's not as bad as I first feared, especially now that i've changed my control scheme and can do everything with buttons rather than hitting the touch screen. The rest has been an absolute joy to play.

The writing in the game has brought a smile to my face on more than a few occasions. Usually I find a lot of this stuff cringe worthy but they really won me over. I dunno, maybe I was just in a better mood while I played it yesterday. :)

This got a good chuckle out of me.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Another criticism of the more recent games is the over use of Toads and the lack of original characters. This is certainly a valid complaint for the past games but with this one I don't think it is. In the other games the Toad characters haven't had much personality and have just kinda been there to fill in a character spot. In Color Splash a lot of them are quite different and have unique and quirky things going for them.

I had a great time hunting down a few of the missing spots that I needed to paint. It didn't really feel like Splatoon, a comparison that many have made, but more like I was playing a Mario version of DeBlob. Trying to find that last 1% can be a bit of a pain but very satisfying. Some of the stuff that needs painting can be very tricky to find.

It's still early days but as someone who had his doubts about the game I recommend people give this a go, especially if you were wary after Sticker Star.

Just a side note, I found it very refreshing just being able to put the disc in and not having a huge day one update needing to be installed or being bombarded with messages about a season pass or DLC on the start up screen. Sad that something like this is such a rare occurrence. :( Hopefully Nintendo keeps things the same when it comes to the NX.

This game has certainly changed my opinion on the series. After Super Paper Mario, Sticker Star and then Paper Jam I was pretty down on the Paper Mario games but this has turned things around.

It's still early days but as someone who had his doubts about the game I recommend people give this a go, especially if you were wary after Sticker Star.

This is pretty reassuring for me, as I think we both had the same opinion of Paper Jam. I did enjoy Sticker Star despite its flaws.

I had a change of heart and bought this yesterday (had some vouchers for Grainger Games burning a hole in my pocket as well) after not really having much interest so pretty hyped to play it now after hearing the dialogue is good.

Still busy with DQVII so not sure when I'll get around to playing this though.

It's so great to hear the positivity about Color Splash :hehe:

I reckon I'll have this by Christmas :yay:

Dammit @Hero\-of\-Time! You've made me torn. Really enjoyed your review @Kaepora_Gaebora, and I felt it was balanced enough in explaining the flaws that it made me more of a £20-30 movement on this. Yet reading Hero's post has thrown me back in the other direction! Whilst I don't know if I'll be too bothered with arbitrary painting completion if it isn't too extensive then I could possibly be convinced by it. I think my real concerns are the same highlighted by the review, and the similarities to Sticker Star and some of its flaws(which I actually still rather enjoyed nonetheless). Never finished Dream Team and subsequently never touched Paper Jam - wondering if this might be the one to get back on board with.

(Really do want to see them move back to the Mario RPG/Paper Mario levels of production and style with NX though)

EDIT:Unrelated - though mentioned in the review- the complete lack of effort in attempting to change the name to the British spelling strikes me as either strange or just sheer lazy on Nintendo's part.

Edited by Rummy

Another criticism of the more recent games is the over use of Toads and the lack of original characters. This is certainly a valid complaint for the past games but with this one I don't think it is. In the other games the Toad characters haven't had much personality and have just kinda been there to fill in a character spot. In Color Splash a lot of them are quite different and have unique and quirky things going for them.

I really agree with this.

While it's always nice to have some more distinctive Toads (and some more female looking ones, c'mon Nintendo!), the Toads in Colour Splash are filled with distinctive personalities and definitely helps sell Prism Island as a real place in Mario's world.

And on that... I'm going to hop back on this for a little while!

It's so great to hear the positivity about Color Splash :hehe:

I reckon I'll have this by Christmas :yay:

You don't deserve it after that.

Don't encourage the Americans!

Paper Jam isn't a Paper Mario game. It never was a Paper Mario game and it never will be a Paper Mario game. If you bought it expecting the fifth Paper Mario, you only have yourself to blame.

I also think it's brilliant, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

It's official, NOE did it to annoy me.

We all know they spy on me, so it's got to be the case.

They just keep coming up with new ways to irritate me when it comes to game titles!

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FGlee.gif

It's official, NOE did it to annoy me.

We all know they spy on me, so it's got to be the case.

They just keep coming up with new ways to irritate me when it comes to game titles!

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FGlee.gif

They're too busy adding Bros to the title of everything to add U's. Come on, they're being seriously overworked here, cut 'em some slack :p

Maybe Nintendo are blaming the failure of the Wii U on the letter 'U' and have decided not to use them to name anything ever again.. ::shrug: