NEurope
Retro_Link

Paper Mario: Colour Splash

Is it? I thought the majority of people like 3D World? I certainly wouldn't call it under-rated.

People "liked" it, it's got a 93 on metacritic but I think many under-rated it simply because it wasn't Galaxy 3. Judged on its own merits I would say it's just as good a game, if not better IMO.

The problem I had with it was that it didn't dare. It was very safe, and took elements from the 2D games that I didn't like (e.g. the map for the overworld, less open levels).

While the Galaxy concept brought some rather novel and major ideas (namely gravity), this brought almost nothing.

Galaxy was certainly more innovative, but judged as a standalone game, SM3DW basically perfected 3D platforming. Bitesize levels of expertly designed courses, each one totally different to the last :heart::bowdown:

They're both amazing though so we're arguing over the top tier of platforming games.

I actually liked Sticker Star for the most part but there were a couple of boss battles, the final one in particular, that irritated me enough to make me extremely cautious of Colour Splash. The battle with Bowser at the end was an absolute disgrace :shakehead I ended up have to use a guide and I still very nearly died :nono:

If the issues are ironed out and take the general frustrations away, I'll be more than happy to pick this up :smile:

Finally got round to watching the video King V posted. It does look good and I'm glad they're leaning in the the silliness (in a good way) of it all.

One little thing that I think would add a nice touch would be if the paint splashes that come off the dead characters would match the colours of the character, but completely understand why it's just the same particle effect. Still...

New-1-Piece-font-b-Baby-b-font-font-b-Toy-b-font-Green-Cute-Super.jpg

I kind of want this more than the game.

I kind of want this more than the game.

Those kind of comically wrong toys always have a strange alluring charm to me. Whether it be for an easy laugh or a strange underdog factor depends on the person though.

It's both for me.

I believe this is a new trailer, albeit a US one:

Oh, and Rescue V episode 4 is also out!

I'm presuming it's the gap in the white block and the clear black window behind the blocks, @Ashley.

Been watching the Rescue Vs - good fun! Think preferred it more at the beginning and then I realised I didn't really/fully know what this game was saying. Watched that trailer with the slightly grinding voiceover - so it looks a lot like Sticker Star but on Wii U? Not sure how I'll feel about it if so. I did enjoy Sticker Star but it certainly felt lacking in places - I almost wish it'd spun into its own 'Sticker Mario' rather than Paper Mario brand; it seems that this game's following a lot of the same sort of gameplay but instead of maybe stickers from before you've got black and white things to paint, according to how much paint you've got in your RGB mixer; presumably affecting what items you can and can't use? It's certainly a nice novel idea on the surface, but I wonder on the bigger difference to gameplay. Things still look like the sort of Deus Ex Machinas they were in Sticker Star, which I found a bit tedious after a while(especially if you missed one). I'm not sure how the contexts match up here either.

The Rescue Vs are reassuring as I did want Paper Marios to have a bit more character again, but this looks a bit limited/basic compared to previous titles in the series in that regard. Having said that I've always quite enjoyed the actual Paper Mario gameplay too - so I'll consider putting this on the list for later down the line when it's closer to £30 or so maybe. Then I'll probably buy it and never play it, lol.

It is touches like that that make the series great, just want a bit more of the old school character back. I realise it's more the RPG/Superstars but I found Dream Team a bit droll and repetitive after a while so never got round to finishing it - I do wonder who they'll hide at the presumable end of that white block level, and also whether it'll be completable by both means...

Slightly off-topic, but I found the Koopalings in M&L Paper Jam to have a ridiculous amount of charm to them. The dialogue between them got more than a few chuckles whenever they started infighting. A moment I really like was a discussion about how Ludwig self appoints himself leader, naturally no-one else agrees. Doesn't stop Ludwig from elevating himself to King at one point though.

The Koopalings personality differs so wildly between games though. From that footage from E3, Morton in Colour Splash is nothing like Morton in Paper Jam and it's really jarring. I wish they'd settle on their character's character. (Settle on Paper Jam's versions of the Koopalings, kay?)

So... someone, don't remember who, suggested that this looks like it would fix the problems with Sticker Star. I haven't played Sticker Star but would still like to know what you might think this fixes?

So... someone, don't remember who, suggested that this looks like it would fix the problems with Sticker Star. I haven't played Sticker Star but would still like to know what you might think this fixes?

I've played this up to the first koopaling battle so far, and I'm finding it very similar to Sticker Star. But then, I didn't really have a problem with Sticker Star at all, so...::shrug:

I've played this up to the first koopaling battle so far, and I'm finding it very similar to Sticker Star. But then, I didn't really have a problem with Sticker Star at all, so...::shrug:

Yeah. I'm a bit further than that (about 9 hours in) but haven't played Sticker Star and was wondering what people though would be different. Because I've been reading reviews of Sticker Star and can see almost everything mentioned in SS-reviews being present in what I'm going to write about Color Splash... unfortunately.

They're most likely referring to the "experience" you get for winning battles. It increases your maximum paint capacity when you get enough.

There's also other things like things being transformed to cards straight away and the actual cards not being used up, but instead you use your paint to initiate attacks.

Personally, I don't think Sticking Star needed "fixing", just some refinement.

It's so good to see the Dino Rhinos from Super Mario World :yay:

Visually, the game is gorgeous and I'm starting to find myself looking forward to it, even if I'm likely to wait until it hopefully comes down in price after a few months :heh: