NEurope
Retro_Link

Paper Mario: Colour Splash

With all the compaints about the supporting cast in recent Paper Mario games favouring Toads, it's interesting to see that these new 'Fearless Colour Defenders' are yet more variations of Toad instead of introducing a cast of cool new heroes..

Yup. Honestly, it's one of the biggest downers for me. The first couple of games had such a rich variety of different characters and personalities, it pains me to see supporting roles being handled by just various Toads. :(

Is it me or is this game looking pretty damned good

With each trailer, I feel more encouraged by what I see :hehe:Color Splash could end up being a great little surprise coming up to Christmas!

Yeah, this game is definitely in the running of "Most gorgeous WiiU game" right alongside Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Yoshi's Woolly World.

Nice to see some people are coming around to this game after the initial "Oh no, it's Sticker Star" shenanigans.

Yeah, this game is definitely in the running of "Most gorgeous WiiU game" right alongside Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Yoshi's Woolly World.

Nice to see some people are coming around to this game after the initial "Oh no, it's Sticker Star" shenanigans.

Too bad that it'll end up being in the running for "most underrated Wii U game" alongside Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Star Fox Zero though...

Doesn't matter how good the game actually is, people have already made up their minds about it sadly. And even if they did actually try it, their perceptions are already negatively coloured going in... (confirmation bias is a hell of a thing)

Doesn't matter how good the game actually is, people have already made up their minds about it sadly. And even if they did actually try it, their perceptions are already negatively coloured going in... (confirmation bias is a hell of a thing)

It looks pretty but it still looks very much like Sticker Star, which was an awful, awful Paper Mario game. Coupled with the fact that its Toad central again, lack of new characters and no partners, people have every right to be negative about the game.

I'll buy it but i'll openly admit that i'm not looking forward to it. Everything i've seen so far once again proves that they are moving further and further away from what made the first 2 Paper Mario games amazing.

Like some people on here regarding Super Mario Run.

Like some people on here regarding Super Mario Run.

Subtle... Also, missing the point of why I'm not too keen on SMR. But it's clear some people don't listen to me on that topic anyway.

It looks pretty but it still looks very much like Sticker Star, which was an awful, awful Paper Mario game. Coupled with the fact that its Toad central again, lack of new characters and no partners, people have every right to be negative about the game.

I feel like people need to stop seeing this as some kind of "Traditional" Paper Mario game replacement (I use that term loosely because at this point, there's more non-traditional games then traditional ones).

Because yes, Sticker Star isn't a good "Paper Mario" game, because it wasn't trying to be a traditional Paper Mario game in the first place. Yes, it has flaws. I can understand why people felt the lack of experience points made battles feel pointless (I disagree, you got coins which helped you buy more powerful stickers, making future battles easier, you get what you put in) The lack of varied characters is a baffling decision. But the game was still fun, the battles have a lot more strategy to them. It wasn't just about winning, it was about winning without letting the enemy move (Because then you get bonus coins for buying more stickers) The Thing stickers could have been executed better (Something that Colour Splash seems to be addressing, along with the upgradable paint capacity) and the lack of story is a bit of a shame. But this style of game has something to it, it just needs some fine tuning.

Oh, and Sticker Star has the most challenging Final Battle in all of the Paper Mario games, and yes, I am including Thousand Year Door in that.

I loved Sticker Star, one of my favourite games on 3DS. If you don't go in with any preconceived ideas about what a Paper Mario game should be (as I did), it was a ton of fun.

I loved Sticker Star, one of my favourite games on 3DS. If you don't go in with any preconceived ideas about what a Paper Mario game should be (as I did), it was a ton of fun.

Don't you like Super Paper Mario, as well? Nuff said. :D

But Super Paper Mario is another good game. It's my least favourite Paper Mario title, but it's still good. Really funny too!

But Super Paper Mario is another good game. It's my least favourite Paper Mario title, but it's still good. Really funny too!

*adds Glen-i to ignore list*

*adds Glen-i to ignore list*

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. There's gotta be some kind of deep traumatic stress going on here. We've gotta delve deeper into this.

New-1-Piece-font-b-Baby-b-font-font-b-Toy-b-font-Green-Cute-Super.jpg

Now show me on the hilariously misshaped Yoshi toy where Super Paper Mario hurt you.

Yes I'm a man with taste. :awesome:

I guess I just like the hybrid of traditional platforming and RPG-lite elements that Sticker Star and SPM have. I think I'd find Thousand Year Door a bit boring if I ever played it.

Yes I'm a man with taste. :awesome:

I guess I just like the hybrid of traditional platforming and RPG-lite elements that Sticker Star and SPM have. I think I'd find Thousand Year Door a bit boring if I ever played it.

Now this is where you and I differ.

For as much as I like Sticker Star and Super Paper Mario. The Thousand-Year Door is still my favourite entry. It's an absolutely staggering game.

Although if you don't like RPG's, it's probably not for you.

Yes I'm a man with bad taste. :awesome:

Fixed that for you. :p

I enjoyed Super Paper Mario for what it was, I didn't chastise it for what it wasn't. For what it was, it was good. Just like I think this will be.

I enjoyed Super Paper Mario for what it was, I didn't chastise it for what it wasn't. For what it was, it was good. Just like I think this will be.

I wish more people thought like that about Mario 3D World. That game is so under-rated IMO

I wish more people thought like that about Mario 3D World. That game is so under-rated IMO

Is it? I thought the majority of people like 3D World? I certainly wouldn't call it under-rated.