NEurope
Retro_Link

Paper Mario: Colour Splash

Well this was weirdly dropped into the Direct!... (I'm watching the US one btw in case the EU one was different)

Not sure what to think of this yet...

It looks quite nice, and I kind of lit up when I saw it - a new Paper Mario - but then I noticeably felt that drain away (much like the colour from this island) when I realised they'd replaced the gimmick of filling things in with stickers, with filling things in with paint: case in point the screenshot for the above trailer.

Edited by Retro_Link

Makes me want a new de Blob more than anything else.

For a long time I've been trying to think of a game that uses colour as a central mechanic but I can't quite figure out what it's going to be.

This isn't it :p

As far as I can tell you just colour in, right? Rather than the colour affecting anything (as far as we currently know)?

This actually reminded me more of Mario Sunshine, with the iridescent graffiti... Mario Sunshine HD reference? (no)

While the game visually looks great, i'm a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any unique and quirky characters in the game. Given how they showed a bunch of Toads, it seems they are going the Paper Jam route by just having numerous toads make up the characters of the world they are in.

It's still early days but i'm not hopefully for the addition of any unique or crazy cast members like the ones we seen in the first two Paper Mario games.

EDIT: Just checked the Gaf thread and it seems i'm not the only one to think this. Someone posted this.

LHj3fl0.png

Says it all really. :D

Edited by Hero-of-Time

While the game visually looks great, i'm a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any unique and quirky characters in the game. Given how they showed a bunch of Toads, it seems they are going the Paper Jam route by just having numerous toads make up the characters of the world they are in.

I had instant flashbacks to Paper Jam watching the trailer which killed my hype instantly.

I just want a Paper Mario RPG without the additional "gimmicks" of cards/paint.

I think Toad getting absolutely covered in paint was the best bit.

I think Toad getting absolutely covered in paint was the best bit.

I thought you would have liked the scene where the paint/life got sucked out of him a little more? :heh:

I thought you would have liked the scene where the paint/life got sucked out of him a little more? :heh:

That was also hilarious hahahahaha!!!

I may buy it just for that.

LHj3fl0.png

Yes. This....this picture....:nono:

Never thought I'd live to see the day NINTENDO ruining Paper Mario for me.

It's still early days but i'm not hopefully for the addition of any unique or crazy cast members like the ones we seen in the first two Paper Mario games.

EDIT: Just checked the Gaf thread and it seems i'm not the only one to think this. Someone posted this.

LHj3fl0.png

Mate, I can't believe you are actually saying those Toads all look the same.

We can't be having this kind of Toad racism on this forum.

Yes. This....this picture....:nono:

Never thought I'd live to see the day NINTENDO ruining Paper Mario for me.

Paper Mario anyone?

Paper Mario anyone?

No Ashley.

Not anymore.

Not since the Great Paper Mario Crash of the Sticker Star years.

I'm still intruiged by this title, mostly for the visuals at this poiint though I must admit, I may go back and finish Sticker Star but the best thing about that for me was how that holographic sticker effect had been replicated on the 3DS screen.

Though I must say, if a remake of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was created in HD with the same level of detail seen here, I'd buy it in an instant. :)

This was completely off the radar for me, but Treehouse Live has done it again. :D

Looks amazing. icon14.gif

Trailer:

Edited by RedShell

It seems this is Sticker Star 2.0. Sadly, as a Paper Mario game, it sucked and I'm not happy to see this is following the same pattern, despite the nice visuals.

There's an interesting interview done by GameXplain where they ask why the games have moved away from what made them popular. It sounds like they didn't want both Paper Mario and the Mario and Luigi series to be RPGs, so this series has taken the hit. Annoyingly I found the first two PM games to be far superior to any of the M&L games, so I'm sad to see that this is the series to be turned into something else.

It seems this is Sticker Star 2.0. Sadly, as a Paper Mario game, it sucked and I'm not happy to see this is following the same pattern, despite the nice visuals.

There's an interesting interview done by GameXplain where they ask why the games have moved away from what made them popular. It sounds like they didn't want both Paper Mario and the Mario and Luigi series to be RPGs, so this series has taken the hit. Annoyingly I found the first two PM games to be far superior to any of the M&L games, so I'm sad to see that this is the series to be turned into something else.

Totally agree. Thousand Year Door was by far the best in either series. This game just looks like Sticker Star all over again, even down to the real world objects you can use in fights.

Maybe I'm a little jaded by both series though. I'm right at the end of Dream Team Bros and haven't bothered to finish it. And I got Paper Jam for Christmas but haven't even started it yet. I should really get to it though.

I think this game looks like ridiculous fun.

It's different, sure, but different doesn't mean bad. From the looks of it, they have fixed a lot of the issues with Sticker Star

Edited by Serebii

So long as this game eases up on the really random puzzle aspects (including the boss fights :shakehead) that were in Sticker Star, I'll be happy. :)

Then again I don't have such affinity with the earlier games in the series as most people do, so I'm very much cool with Paper Mario becoming less RPG and more of an action game.

Hopefully the humour is up to scratch in Colour Splash. It made me chuckle a few times already on the Treehouse stream though, so it's looking good. :hehe:

There's some clever stuff they're doing with the paint here, the part with Shufflegate was clever and really funny :laughing:

I don't mind them continuing on from where Sticker Star left off because I'm one of those weirdos who actually really enjoyed Sticker Star. I'm still not really thrilled at the idea of having a cast of standard looking Toads make up the majority of characters in the game though...