NEurope
ReZourceman

Best Online Games Retailer?

@Ashley & Co, is a "Random" Thread still dissuaded? Kinda thought it would be cool.

Anyway, I used to think that Shopto was the best online retailer, but I've slightly lost touch with the gaming world and understand the general consensus is that there's a better one now, but I've forgotten it's name. Is it Simply Games?

Whats the crack?

Send early?

Good prices?

Problems?

Cheers brids.

While Shopto used to be the kings, others have stepped up to offer them some competition. The Game Collection, Simply Games and Gameseek are sometimes the cheaper option now.

As for getting games early, Shopto still seem pretty reliable for an early release. I got Bravely Second last Wednesday ( came out last Friday ) and people have received their copies of Twilight Princess HD today, despite it not being released until Friday.

Word of warning about The Game Collection, they sometimes ship EU copies games. These are all in English and the boxes look the same but the barcodes don't register when trying to trade them in at places like GAME or CEX.

I usually just jump between Simply Games and Shopto, depending on the price of the game I'm after.

I also use Simply Games and TheGameCollection. Grainger Games's website can be fairly decent, but the first two I mentioned have completely toppled ShopTo from the spot they once held, I think.

I'm not one to order loads and loads of games, but ShopTo have gone down massively in my estimations. They used to be cheapest by miles and get things out the earliest, now they never seem to have many good deals on, and their website is an absolute mess. Their postage standards had slipped a bit but it seems they might be back to their usual early selves with Twilight Princess. I haven't used them for ages.

I've only used them a couple of times, but I had no complaints with either The Game Collection or Simply Games.

Another tip for limited editions etc. is to check out Amazon France. Exchange rate isn't quite as great at the mo due to the EU referendum uncertainty, but some bargains can be had from ordering abroad.

Otherwise, Tesco can be pretty good as you can collect in store/get clubcard points/spend your vouchers.

I love to use base, just because of their delivery, prices and tax options. Living outside the UK, base are one of the few online retail stores to deduct UK taxes before buying. Then, top it off with a 1.49 pound delivery charge for Wii U or 3DS games and I now buy games cheaper than if I was still living back home. Gaming just got cheaper for me. However, getting hold of a UK console does tend to be a little more expensive.

Not sure it's a 'random' thread or that we had outlawed such things! ShopTo were once fucking kings, and their video of the 5 minute packing and the picture they used to send and the fact you got games early in conjunction with the fact they were beating most other retailers(online or not) used to make them the absolute defacto go to for myself.

But, as said, they've changed and more annoyingly their prices just aren't seeming too competitive. I don't know if it's because they've gotten too big and have larger overheads, or just felt that their service warranted them charging a bit of a premium, but it's been a long time since I've bought anything from them now.

Tbh I buy less these days and will generally just opt for whoever's cheapest when it comes to buying brand new - but tbh I avoid brand new often now in favour of the cheaper pre-owned options. Will usually go to CEX or the like, eBay or as has been the case a few times recently, buy off of people here instead!

GameStop.co.uk can be good too.

Also General Gaming Forum says hi.

Was tempted to move it over there, especially with the recent thread about the value of a game. Any objections from anyone? Did think it might get a bit more of a viewing here, especially for people a bit like ReZ who might not pop down there as much if they've fallen off gaming a bit.

@Ashley & Co, is a "Random" Thread still dissuaded? Kinda thought it would be cool.

It... kinda scares me to think that you think that threads about "random" (general) topics are somehow not welcome here. Is that some bizarre misconception we actually put out there once? Did some weirdly mis-explained rule contribute to the current quietness of general chit chat?

It... kinda scares me to think that you think that threads about "random" (general) topics are somehow not welcome here. Is that some bizarre misconception we actually put out there once? Did some weirdly mis-explained rule contribute to the current quietness of general chit chat?

It seems "we don't just want everything in one thread" has become "you mustn't ever start threads".

It seems "we don't just want everything in one thread" has become "you mustn't ever start threads".

But...those are contradictory expressions.

Unless that was your point. I've just spent about 2 hours figuring out quaternions so brain is frazzled.