NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon_BlizZACK

Sega Saturn Appreciation Thread

Who had a Saturn????

Had a flashback earlier today of when I briefly owned one, replacing my Mega Drive, after starting my gaming life with a Master System (with Sonic built-in) bought by my hardworking mum at the age of 6.

I sadly don't remember too much at the time, but I think I remember 'good' games being hard to come by.

ResidentEvil2Feature_2.png

(what was the cartridge input port for?)

My 3 most memorable games are...:

Resident%20Evil%20(E)%20Front%2BBack.jpg

I had the Director's cut - And this was also the first time playing RE1, was playing it with my old school friend while he played his on the PSX. We were typically on our old Ericsson face-off phones battling with the fear of playing through (we were like 12 or 13).

Sonic%20R%20(E)%20Front%2BBack.jpg

I was a true Sonic fan... back then when Sonic was just cool, him and this game inspired me to want to run fast. The soundtrack was cheesy, but I love it now and still have it on my iTunes..."Everybody's super Sonic racing!".

shellshock.jpg

Now if ANYONE can remember this &^$%ing game, I will give you the biggest fist pump! To my memory it was a first person tank game (I'm sure you can change camera aspects), was nothing special and frustratingly hard in some places but what stole my attention was the soundtrack - The first time I heard a Hip-Hop soundtrack in a game - it was just so cool to hear. And hearing some characters speak 'cool' and sound realistically gritty. :heart::heart::heart:

I appreciate this moment in my life, as all the games I ever had was the result of going to my local Sunday market and trading games that I had for 2nd hand games, without reading any reviews and having any intel at all.

Who had a Saturn????

I thought NOBODY had one.. wasn't that the problem? :heh:

There have been three consoles I have owned in my lifetime that I have seen fit to sell on due to an inability to form a bond with them.

In the summer of 2006, I was unsure of the Wii, like so many people, and found myself interested in picking up the original XBOX cheaply from GAME along with loads of games that were never released on the Gamecube. I went ahead and bought one but it was gone again in less than a week. Quite simply, the XBOX is the worst console I have ever owned and I even find the thought of holding the controller again disgusting. It definitely wasn't for me but I did managed to return it for a brand new DS lite.. which was awesome :grin:

2009 came and I had managed to evade the HD onslaught of the previous years before finally buying a new HD Samsung TV for my bedroom. It was great, especially when I picked up a component cable for my Wii, but I felt I needed something to show off the HD capabilities that were relatively new to me at the time! The XBOX 360 seemed to be the answer and I got about a year out of it before I finally admitted to myself that I wasn't really enjoying it enough and eventually sold it to a friend. His little brother got more from it than I ever would have :smile:

The only other console I parted with was.. the SEGA SATURN :eek:

Like with the XBOX, I always had a curiosity about the console because I had never even seen one in the flesh never mind holding the controller or playing a game!

Anyway, I got what I thought was a pretty good deal on eBay a few years ago, consisting of the Sega Saturn console, a controller and several games for about £35, including Tomb Raider, Sega Rally, Manx TT, WipEout and a few less memorable experiences!

My controller was different to the one pictured in the opening post..

0c10e1af55915c174172aedc521b270b.jpg

..and I rather disliked it :sad: The shoulder buttons, in particular, felt horrible and clicky :shakehead

I played through Sega Rally and Manx TT, having some fun, while WipEout seemed decent too :smile: However, I had no way of saving my data and this began to shine a light on the issues I had, or was going to have, with the Sega Saturn.

There probably weren't that many games on the system that I was desperate to play but ones that I perhaps would have wanted were likely to set me back a fair few quid on top of having to buy a memory card to save progress. I quickly realised that it just wasn't going to be worth it for me so my brother intervened and took it off my hands inside 3 DAYS.. and I never looked back :heh:

I'm absolutely certain that I made the correct decision to move it on but at least I managed to satisfy my curiosity and finally discover the Sega Saturn : peace:

Who had a Saturn????

Me!

(what was the cartridge input port for?)

You could get a memory card for the console which plugged into the slot.

You could also get a memory upgrade which was needed for running some of Capcoms amazing 2D fighters but the upgrade and games never made it to the West.

Finally, the slot could be used for an Action Replay which allowed you to play import games. You could get a variation of this which also had the 4MB upgraded needed to play the 2D fighters I mentioned earlier.

I loved the console to bits. Playing arcade games like Virtua Cop, House of the Dead, Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter was a revelation back in the day.

Some of my favourite games on the system were...

Sonic Jam

Sonic R ( amazing 90s soundtrack )

NiGHTS

Die Hard Arcade

Shining Force 3

but the king was

123_zpsikoyhgw1.jpg

Amazing story, great battle system and one of the best battle songs in any RPG.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

My earlier mention of Sonic Jam reminded me that I used to watch the Sonic CD intro in that collection soooooo many times. I never played Sonic CD so this was my first exposure to that game.

We definitely got the better song on this one. I never cared for the US version.

I would love to get another Saturn ( Model 2, none of that first model rubbish ) but sadly the price of the games I loved are insane now. I would have to spend a large chunk of money to get everything I wanted.

I had a Saturn!!

I had:

Sonic Jam - like Hero I also used to watch that Sonic CD intro all the time.

Sonic R

Sonic 3D

Theme Park

Nights

Manx TT

Virtual Cop - I had the light gun too!

Some other games that I have now forgotten

Yeah I loved the Saturn. It was great!

I had a Saturn!!

I had:

Sonic R

Sonic 3D

Theme Park

Nights

Manx TT

We need more lightgun games in this day and age! I thought when the Wii arrived we would have seen a Virtua Cop collection or even a Time Crisis collection. I guess it made too much sense.

@Hero\-of\-Time

I loved Virtual Cop with the light gun. It felt like I was at the arcade :D

I found a Saturn in my attic the other day. Dusty as hell, no idea if it still works. Definitely don't have any games for it up there.

Only games I remember are BUG and that hilarious live-action Street Fighter movie game.

Edited by Guy

I found a Saturn in my attic the other day. Dusty as hell, no idea if it still works. Definitely don't have any games for it up there.

At least it didn't turn yellow....unless you bought the white Japanese model. :D

At least it didn't turn yellow....unless you bought the white Japanese model. :D

Haha. This is very true! That precious black plastic hanging in there until the end!

I only got my own one relatively recently (think it was 2012). Great little system! Tragically overlooked!

Some absolutely amazing games like the Panzer Dragoon series (1, 2 and Saga), Dynamite Cop/DHArcade, Daytona USA, Saturn Bomberman, Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, NiGHTS etc and I still feel like I've only scratched the surface! :D

It needs a place on the VC incredibly badly though! For as wonderful as the library is, it really is tragically inaccessible these days; with most of the good games just going for silly money now!

But wow! What a library! I'd rate it over the Dreamcast myself for sure!

That magical moment when you first turn on Panzer Dragoon and you are greeted by that sweeping orchestra in Stage 1! (AFAIK, PD was the first ever game to get an original orchestral scoring even!)

Just... wow! :love:

Edited by Dcubed

I had a Saturn!!

I had:

Sonic R

Sonic 3D

Theme Park

Nights

Manx TT

Ahhhh good ole Theme Park! In sure I also had a Theme Hospital or a Sim City.

It was the best 2D machine of its time. It's 3D was poor though and that's one reason why PlayStation did so well.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Resident Evil and guardian heroes are some of my favourite gaming memories.

Never had a SEGA Saturn. Not entirely sure why either since I loved THE MEGADRIIIIIVE and Master System.

I guess that as a system it didn't seem as interesting to me as the PlayStation and Nintendo 64.

For me the Saturn is my absolute number one console ever. I had a Mega Drive and Game Gear before it but this was the first console where I really got into gaming as a hobby. Sure it didn't have the massive library of the Playstation or the classics of the N64 but for me it was the perfect console.

SEGA's arcade ports and their console exclusives made the console totally worthwhile imo. I'll never forget the first time I played things like Fighters Megamix or NiGHTS, just utterly perfect gaming experiences.

I have a huge Saturn collection back at my parents place, but I'd really missed the console lately so I bought myself a small collection as a present a few months ago. Still plenty of games I want to add to this but for now its doing me quite nicely.

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

IMG_4724.jpg

IMG_4625.jpg

I hated the cases we got in the UK. Those early long cardboard & plastic boxes were awful. The later version were a bit better but I do prefer the normal CD boxes that Japan got.

I love the white Saturn. The only thing I'm not keen on is the red/pinky button on the front. Should have been blue. :)

Ahhh, love those old skool jewel discs.

You're alone on that one mate.

Those things are the spawn of Satan himself! Just look at them funny and bam! Cracked.

Best thing about Gen 6 was the universal switch to DVD style cases for everyone (OK, all except SEGA with the Dreamcast - though even they ended up switching to DVD style cases in Japan towards the end of its life. Cosmic Smash's case is a thing of beauty :love: )

Those things are the spawn of Satan himself! Just look at them funny and bam! Cracked.

Best thing about Gen 6 was the universal switch to DVD style cases for everyone (OK, all except SEGA with the Dreamcast - though even they ended up switching to DVD style cases in Japan towards the end of its life. Cosmic Smash's case is a thing of beauty :love: )

I actually quite like the Dreamcast cases but it's possibly the only decent ones Sega have ever used :heh: I didn't like the Master System, Mega Drive or Saturn cases :nono:

As for the Sega Saturn itself, I'll be down at my brother's tomorrow to help put up a fence and may borrow the console for a few days :grin:

Thanks @King_V, now I'm looking at Saturn games on eBay.

Didn't have a Saturn back in the day but managed to pick one up for £1.50 at a car boot a few years back. I love mentioning that price, its SO cheap!

Definitely need to pick up Virtua Cop and a gun, I'd like to own all the official light guns for all the retro consoles I have.

They have a retro feel to them, not perfect, but classic. Complete with the lovely instruction booklet.

Thanks @King_V, now I'm looking at Saturn games on eBay.

Didn't have a Saturn back in the day but managed to pick one up for £1.50 at a car boot a few years back. I love mentioning that price, its SO cheap!

Definitely need to pick up Virtua Cop and a gun, I'd like to own all the official light guns for all the retro consoles I have.

My pleasure, always nice to pay respects to a classic. But £1.50?! Lmao... Almost an insult to the Japanese dudes who put their sweat and tears into it but fair dues!

Sign in to follow this