NEurope
Ashley

NEShow Special Episode 2 - Zelda | Zelda | Zelda

My fondest handheld memories are with the Game Boy Advance, particularly Minish Cap (my favourite 2D Zelda) and Metroid Fusion. Original version, transparent blue. I think it had a much better shape than the SP. I'm more upset about how that was stolen than I am about how my DS Lite and Wii was.

I like the new shave. You said you had a cold, but I didn't hear anything odd. You handled it pretty well :)

--------------------

Favourite handheld is the Gameboy. Might be my favourite console of all time, really.

I suppose the main reason for this is recess. You see, in the age before portable electronics were common, the Gameboy was a marvel of technology. It allowed you to play more than one game, fit in your pocket AND it actually lasted the whole day? That's the future right there.

4893400261_639bc5c8a6_b.jpg

Proof

Needless to say, all the kids had one. The Super Mario Lands, Kirby's Dream Land 2 and Donkey Kong '94 were the most popular games, but each kid had a an exclusive or two (I had, for example, Mega Man and Mole Mania. Rockin' the double dose of M&M :heh:). I had good times experiencing Wario Land, Donkey Kong Land (way before of DK Country), Adventures of Lolo, Solomon's Key, among...others.

hqdefault.jpg

Pictured: others

Good old Game Boy Camera, now there's a bizarre experience. I never owned it, but I got my face printed on the Game Boy Printer (which, indeed, was a thing). There was a weird sort of variety in the Game Boy.

But it all changed when the Pokémon Company attacked [the market].

Pokémon took the world by storm, and the Game Boy was no different. The once-dying console saw new life as the vessel in which we collectively played Pokémon Red&Blue. And I was the only one with the Link Cable :wink: It was pretty cool, being the go-to guy when it came to Pokémon (I bet there's nobody in the forum that knows what that's like, no siree).

smell-ya-later-red-e.png

It's roughly like having 10 badges instead of 8

#90skid

It wasn't just Red&Blue, of course. Pokémon TCG and Pokémon Pinball became pretty popular around this time. The latter was the only GB game I ever saw with rumble.

It was also during this time that we saw some pretty ambitious titles on the console, such as Metal Gear Solid and the Zelda Oracles (in fact, Oracle of Seasons was my first taste of Zelda). It was pretty much impressive how far the little console had come, if you put an early GB game alongside one of those (many of which were still compatible with the good ol' brick & GB pocket, mind you), it was like looking at two different generations. Yup, the Game Boy sure had shown all it could d-

logos2.png

BAM!

Gold&Silver arrived and improved everything. How was this even possible? Suddenly, the Game Boy's flagship game had double in size and complexity. Day&Night cycles? Breeding?! 16 badges!!? Dat final boss!!?!

During this time, the Pokémon craze had died down a little, but me and a group of friends took it upon ourselves to take hours and hours to explore every nook and cranny of what this game had to offer. We explored everything, from the dolls you could collect for your room to the PokéRUS (How many of you even know what that is?)

And I haven't even mentioned another heavyweight on the handheld...

Tetris%20%282%29.jpg

I still haven't reached the end of this game!

So yeah, major respect to the GBA, DS and 3DS... But Game Boy will always be King in my heart.

logos2.png

BAM!

Gold&Silver arrived and improved everything. How was this even possible? Suddenly, the Game Boy's flagship game had double in size and complexity. Day&Night cycles? Breeding?! 16 badges!!? Dat final boss!!?!

Whilst DKC and Uncharted are my favourite game series' of all time, I can't help but think that Pokemon Gold...and me playing it is possibly some of my greatest gaming memories. #Anecdote.

I'm a little shit, and I hate what I did, but I can't change it now...that....on the day before it came out, I think my mum was saying I couldn't have it (probably because I was a cunt) and I whinged myself to sleep..loudly whinging in my bed, being a cunt (I hate this part of this memory, makes me feel awful...but it gets better).

Anyway, I got home from school (no longer in a dickhead mood, near as I remember) and went to see my mum who was working in an ornaments store at the time. I went in and behind the counter was Pokemon Gold. I lost my shit, went mental yadda yadda. I was due to go to my dad's for the weekend, so I remember playing it, my dad picked me up, we drove to his (good few hours away) I only stopped playing it on the way for dinner which was Burger King. And it was the greatest weekend of gaming (in between whatever my dad and I did...probably visit Brighton Pier and stuff) of my life. Like. That game, it was literally incredible to play. All the mon' in colour. The new mon! The new types! As you say, day and night and just....oh god so so so so so so so so so good.

I will never feel like that again.

The innocence of youth.

LOVE/

SURPRISE!!!!

Enjoy this special Nintendo Direct episode! On the house! : peace:

Great job again, guys :grin:

I feel like you're improving with every show, @Kaepora_Gaebora, and that's awesome :hehe:

From my perspective, these shows are of a much higher standard than a lot of what is online these days in the world of gaming and I'm proud to be part of this community. I love you guys :love:

Hey there! Episode 3 may have been delayed a bit, but to tide you over, we have some fresh faces for you to gawk at!

It's our first feature length N-Europe Staff Super Chat! :D

We totally didn't intend to have a snippet of this in what would've been Episode 3's release last weekend, absolutely not ;)

And we're back! Or at least @Kaepora_Gaebora is with a cameo from @Dcubed!

Those NX fakes, your Zelda memories and the winner of the monthly contest. What more could you want? Oh discussions about Virtual Reality, the Nintendo Selects range and your favourite handhelds? Oh go on then, as we kept you waiting.

That reference to Bamboozle has made my day.

Great show as always :)

Edited by Helmsly

Oh hey, my Game Boy post was mentioned :yay:

As per usual, the episode was pretty good. I do like how you bring up recent forum discussions.

Hey @Kaepora_Gaebora, you're a reeeeeally fucking good host, brah. Your voice is like water.

Bringing up the forum stuff was really cool. It definitely gives it more of a community feel. Keep it up.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

We CAN let you do that, Star Fox!

Enjoy a brand new episode! Including a sneak peek preview of Star Fox Zero! :D

Great show.

For "snuggly" games, mine is definitely Banjo-Kazooie. I replay it during the cold days in between Christmas and New Year.

Very enjoyable show. I do like the "Last-minute Bath News" segment. Cool idea.

That bloke barging in with his opinion on Star Fox Zero during the preview was so handsome and suave, who is he?

As for "Snuggly" games, I find myself not being able to go a year without revisiting a game that undoubtedly makes me feel warm inside.

KKm3EMW.jpg

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

I love the gameplay of the PMD series, and this entry is one of the best. (Although I'm not sure I can choose between this and the latest one now)

Given the standard of Pokemon stories, this game has a stonkingly great one with likable characters and a plot that gets surprisingly grim before resolving itself. Just like a good story should.

Not gonna lie, the ending may have made me tear up a little the first time I played it. Gaming never makes me do that and a Pokemon spin-off game is the first (And still the only one) to pull that off. Mental!

In fact, it might have done that twice in one playthrough...

Oh, and it single-handedly made Grovyle the coolest starter Pokemon in all of Pokemon history. And that's not an opinion, it's cold hard fact.

That's the best use of nipples I've seen in a videogame website video.

That's the best use of nipples I've seen in a videogame website video.

Haha! Think @dazzybee 's frank admissions must have rubbed off on me to go topless, getting a bit saucier with the show ;)

Another solid episode. Some great skits this week during an admitedly slow news week. Bravo, 10 on 10.

I'm looking forward to reactions from the latest Ninty news in the next video.