NEurope
Kaepora_Gaebora

Your favourite / funniest Legend of Zelda moments

One and all!

Following on from the latest N-E Show, I thought rather than squirrel away talk in the show thread, why not create some discussion on what your most endearing memories are in the Zelda series.

I'll be following this up with reporting them on the next N-E Show, and incase you haven't seen the show yet I'll give you my example;

I caught the Hylian Loach on OOT as a child! It was incredibly bizzare, I used to spend hours just pratting about in the fishing hole and then one day I caught it, no sinking lure or anything like that, just pure luck!

Sadly no evidence as this was in 1999, but it definetly happened!

So what are your stand out memories from the series? As its the 30th anniversary I'm sure we will be doing more things like this throughout the year, but rather than favourite games (for the moment) I want to know your favourite moments from any game in the Zelda universe :)

Its a bit dull (for the purposes of the show - sorry), but the start of a Link to the Past with the rain, the atmosphere and the music.

Probably got me into story driven RPGs.

I would probably say that this was an embarrassing moment...

So I got an N64 quite late on (xmas 1999) and was given SM64 and OoT. I never really heard of Zelda before and the games I had only played before then were platformers on the Megadrive/SNES. Anyway, I booted up OoT and started off. I bought a shield and went to see that unfriendly lad who wouldn't let me see the Deku Tree without a sword.

Well I literally looked everywhere for this sword. I couldn't find it no matter how much I tried. I even went searching in the Lost Woods.

I also completed SM64 during this time aswell.

Anyway, still determined to find the sword, I searched everywhere again. It wasn't until that I randomly(completely by accident) started crawling through a hole that I got the facepalm moment.

Yeah, it took me 6 months to find the sword...

Little drahkon (5 years old at that time) wanted to steal things in a video game because he knew it wouldn't have consequences like it would have in real life. So my younger self tried to figure out whether you could shoplift in Link's Awakening.

As most of you know: It's possible. I remember being very happy when I managed to run away with the bow :laughing:

What I didn't realize...it did have consequences. Because later, when I was in desperate need for bombs, my return to the shop ended with some kind of kamehameha-beam-of-punishment :D I was shocked and never stole from that guy again :(Actually, I did...I stole bombs...

That is probably my most favourite moment of my Zelda experience.

And now for some embarrassing news...

When my mom found my old GameBoy and the Link's Awakening cartridge I booted it up to see if it still works. And there it was:

The realization that little drahkon thought Zelda was the name of the little green guy. :woops:

f8x8aSs.jpg

And yes, BCDEö was the name of my very first Link for my very first Zelda playthrough... :laughing:

I remember one time when I was pretty young, I was having a sleepover with some mates, and we were playing some OOT late at night.

We all drifted off to sleep (we knew how to party) but only after we'd made it to the Lost Woods.

So we fell asleep with that damn Saria's Song theme playing while we slept for the entire night. When we woke up, every single one of us had nothing but that song in our heads for about a week afterwards.

All it would take was for someone to start humming it in school weeks later, and everyone would throw their school bags at them.

Such an annoying song. I still can't hear it without wanting to punch a child.

EDIT: Oh my God! Get out of my head! Argh!

Edited by 130131301364

Haha great stuff so far guys!

I've got an embarrassing one too actually;

We got our N64 with Zelda for Christmas 98' and I happily sat and watched my older brother playing through it at the start. He got to Hyrule Castle, managed to evade the initial guards and make his way to the bit just before the gardens, where you push those Lon Lon Ranch milk boxes to get into the drain.

Anyway as he was moving the boxes night time was setting in, and we heard the wolf 'howl' that signifies night time has arrived. We both shat ourselves thinking that wolves were coming to attack him, so he got on top of one the boxes and just stood there incase these wolves appeared, alllll night. At one point he auto jumped off the side and we both shrieked to get back on top of it before the wolves attacked.

Suffice to say that was a long 5 minutes waiting for the sun to come up so we could carry on adventuring...

Funniest Zelda moment for me...

Genuine laugh out loud moment :D

---

My favourite Zelda moment is undoubtedly experiencing Ocarina of Time for the first time. I was just in awe of the whole game. I remember getting it on Christmas Day (I presume)... although it could have been the day before on my Birthday :p and then taking it down to @Eddage's and playing the Deku Tree. Such magic.

My favourite game to this day, and in the past I'd often boot up the last save file just to battle Ganondorf again and watch that ending.

That music, that summary, that story, those locations, those characters, it's such a perfect conclusion...

Favourite moment? theres so many

Like Blade i got into Zelda with OoT (at its launch) it wasn't that i hadn't played them before but my experience was limited as i didn't only them, only my cousin's had LoZ, LoZ2 and ALttP.

i vividly remember the wonder i felt when i first played through that game and the real stand out moment for me was getting the master sword the first time, how epic it felt to wield the sword and then ride off across Hyrule field to save the world.

It prompted me to go to a second hand store and buy the old games, and i managed to get boxed copies of all of them, which i have to this day

Strangely for all my love of the series starting with Oot, my favourite moments are from A Link to the Past, when i got the Master Sword in that some how it seemed even more climatic, the wandering through the meadow and then the same music, i realised at that point it was a running theme.

I suppose embarrassing moments would be that i didn't complete LoZ2 for years, around the time Wind Waker came out, i just didn't understand how the game worked, it was so alien but strangely endearing and kept me trying again sporadically.

Actually the worst thing or funniest thing i remember right now was coming across the boss molodorm, i ran in charged a spin attack and unleashed on his head, only to be bounced off and down to the floor below, i remember feeling like a right tool with that one but laughing so hard

Even though it was ridiculously easy, I absolutely loved the final battle in Wind Waker. It looked amazing and was just a joy to play.

I started Zelda with Ocarina of Time. I thought it was great, but I got bored of it after doing the Spirit temple. It wasn't until years later that I finished the Shadow Temple (it freaked me out, so I ran out after getting the Hover Boots) and the game. That was after I played though Majora's Mask.

With Majora's Mask, I collected all the masks (with some help from N64 Magazine). The sidequests were great - my fondest moment is probably the cow-stealing aliens, which is still an extremely strange thing for Zelda.

Even though it was ridiculously easy, I absolutely loved the final battle in Wind Waker. It looked amazing and was just a joy to play.

Second that for the moment - but I did not find it easy - could never seem to get the final blow to connect in the way that triggered the cut scene despite looking at numerous guides on how to do it. I died trying once and then when I finally did I couldn't tell you why it worked that time.

I can remember my best friend and I from middle school were super psyched about Ocarina of Time. When I told him it was finally out he mock-fainted (don't forget those 90s Nintendo delays!) in the playground.

Then once we were round his playing it and I was trying to catch some fish while sat on the floor and ended up tipping backwards trying to reel it in. I was obviously prepared for the Wii long before it was out.

Seeing as people are posting moments of embarrassing ignorance...

OK, so you know that really cool moment, during the final boss, where you can use a skyward strike to channel some lightning through your sword?

I never copped on to that, so I went through the entire fight trying to get hits in without hitting Demise's electrified sword.

Hard is a bit of an understatement. Actually struggled a bit, but I pulled through, and it was very satisfying!

Although, I did feel like a bit of a dope when @Dcubed told me.

Throwing Princess Ruto against the wall inside Jabu-Jabu's belly. Makes the funniest sound.

Also the snotty kid on Outset Island. Wish they could hack the game so I could play as him instead of Link.

As for realtime honest serious moments. It has to be either 'Saria will always be... your friend.', pretty much any scene with Groose in Skyward or that one OH SHIT moment against the final boss in Ocarina of Time.

Ok, so as I said in the other thread, Oracle of Seasons was my first Zelda experience. In fact, this is a pretty special moment for me, as it was the first time I experienced the "calling" that Zelda locales are so well known for.

Another is Ocarina of Time's opening title music. There's something truly magical in those notes:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

And finally, Wind Waker's final battle is something else. I didn't even notice the fight was easy, everything from the environment, the enemy, the music, to the ending that comes right after... awe-inducing.

----------------

Now, the funny moment... not sure if "funny" is the right word, but I felt pretty embarrassed and proud at the same time.

Ok, so you remember this room in the Deku Tree, right?

0016_1.jpg

You had to hold the "dive" button to press the switch, the water level lowers, you can pass. Simple, right?

But the first time around, I didn't realise you had to "hold" the button. I just pressed it briefly, and it didn't work. Link's hand kind of looked like it reached the switch, but nothing was happening.

Rather than thinking "I'm doing something wrong", I thought "The game is glitching on me!

...Well, two can play at this game!", so I decided to bypass the rotating obstacle via backflip. A very well-timed backflip. It worked. The game thought it could teach me a lesson, but I taught it a lesson instead!

I would go on to beat the Zora diving minigame by climbing the waterfall and falling down from above two or three times within the time limit. It was a bitch, and the rupee position was random, but I beat it!

And then I really had to learn to dive deeper to retrieve Ruto's Bottle. There was a genuine facepalm when I realized, I can tell you that much.

My favourite memory is of A Link To The Past. Me and my brother got it in 1992/93 I guess. I was about seven years old, so I didn't know what to do except for chopping up bushes for rupees and sprinkling magic dust on whatever I encountered. My brother couldn't finish it so he traded it for Super Soccer, blasphemy! It was only years later on the Game Boy Advance that I finally finished the game and filled the void that has plagued me for years.

Other noteworthy tidbits: I love the Hyrule Field theme from Ocarina Of Time. It took me ages to find out that I had to blow up a wall in one of the temples in Link's Awakening. Apparently I have played Zelda CD-I as my cousin had it, but I have absolutely no memory of it. And to this day I still love the Linkin Park video In The End, as it has a Wind Fish flying around in it.

I remember in 2000 coming home from school the day Majora's Mask came out and my brother had bought it. We shared a bedroom so would often play games together, usually with games like Zelda my brother (who's 3 years older than me) would generally play them and I'd watch and give any guidance I could. So we excitedly put the game into the console and started playing, making it through the long opening cutscenes and finally making it to Clock Town when I stood on the plug and pulled it out of the wall, all progress of the last half an hour lost.

My brother was furious, I was overly apologetic. I played through the opening sequences while my brother ate dinner and thankfully we ploughed on through to the Deku Temple that night.