NEurope
Daft

Pokémon Sun/Moon

Man oh man did I LOVE these games. What a fitting way to round off what has been an awesome 20th Anniversary!

I played these games at a snail pace in comparison to my other playthroughs, and was pleasantly surprised by my enjoyment of just slowing down, battling everyone and everything, catching as many Pokémon as I could and just having the most fun I think I've had playing a game in a long time!

Very happy to see the sales results, but a bit gutted we don't yet have definitive figures and that Sun and Moon were counted separately, seeing as I don't see anyone doing the same for FIFA and CoD special editions :/ but alas, awesome figures nonetheless, and this game is so very deserving. As a lifelong fan who was seriously thinking of jumping off the franchise for good (if it was great my argument was to go out on a high; if it wasn't I think it's pretty self explanatory), this game did more than just drag me back in, it reminded my why I play video games, and, more importantly, why this is my favourite video game franchise.

Granted, there were some issues, but I think they did great to evolve from Gen VI with the same system at their disposal, it's a microcosm of Nintendo and Gamefreak through the years in all honesty (getting the most out of their platforms that is). But where from here? Seeing as the datamines left us with the knowledge of placeholder event text up until 2021, which would be the 25th Anniversary, I think people could soon realise that the Gen VII isn't just a one-off celebration with just Sun and Moon, but rather a string of games which could bring the games to a great steady point, with the events in XYORAS hinting at something larger and SM perhaps even more so!

And to think, they've left themselves in such a smart position with the timing of the Switch! Kanto games (praying for sequels set after the events of GS/HGSS) seem like an ideal target for a 25th Anniversary game or earlier on the Switch, whilst the events of SM hint at potential for both Kanto and Sinnoh visits, as well as the usual wish for many to return to Alola, which could well happen next year with Stars; fingers crossed it's more like BW2 than Platinum in terms of being a sequel with new features as opposed to a third version. Though, I do think it's a weird position for fans and Nintendo/GF alike: where do they go with the 3DS and Pokémon from here? Is that it now?

Edited by Julius Caesar

Ive only played a few hours. I wish I had more time to play it. Has Super Training disappeared? Is there no simple way to incease EVs? I'm really enjoying the game so far. I have no idea what Pokemon to bother training up for my team though.

Poke Pelago - the Evelup isles streamlines super training. Rather than furiously tapping punch-bags and playing stupid games, the whole process is streamlined by just leaving your pokemon there for as long as you want to get that stat boost.

Edited by King_V

Is there a way to reset EVs on a particular Pokemon like the Reset Bags in X/Y? That was really useful for Super Training.

Probably getting close to catching Lunala. The events of the game seem to suggest that this is what is going to happen.

Kaepora/Decidueye Lv.46 (Synthesis, Leaf Blade, Spirit Shackle, Pluck)

Mickey/Raichu Lv.45 (Thunderbolt, Nasty Plot, Psychic, Grass Knot)

Oki/Lycanroc Lv.45 (Stealth Rock, Rock Slide, Crunch, Roar)

Biolizard/Salazzle Lv.46 (Flamethrower, Toxic, Hidden Power, Venoshock)

Tediz/Bewear Lv.45 (Thrash, Hammer Arm, Bulldoze, Brutal Swing)

Blue Tektite/Araquanid Lv.45 (Blizzard, Poison Jab, Leech Life, Scald)

Edited by GenericAperson

Just had a check and until it evolves it can only ever use Struggle Bug and Sand Attack, but once it evolves it gets a base stat total of 530 and becomes about as strong as many of the final starter evolutions, perhaps even better because it's attack and defence become insane.

Think of it like Magikarp-Gyarados and you'll know what I mean.

I passed on Wimpod because looking up it's moves it wasn't able to learn any Ice type moves and I wanted a Water type who could use Ice type moves. Turns out it's evolution can learn both Ice Beam and Blizzard although doesn't seem to be able to learn any Physical attacks. It does seem like a really good Pokemon though with a crazily good signature move.

On another note, oh boy, Poni Island has a level jump. Or maybe I'm just too badly underlevelled, after the first route of Poni Island I am currently at level 42 apart from one Pokemon. All the trainers and wild Pokemon? 43-45. I lost two Pokemon from a Collector with a Turtonator and a Drampa while two others found themselves in a situation whereby they were pretty much dead unless I switched them out. Thankfully my newly evolved Raichu pulled through and got the win but I am a bit concerned that I'm starting to fall behind the average level over the last few routes.

On the other hand, Machamp Pokeride is the greatest thing I've seen in a while in a Pokemon game. Couldn't help but laugh at seeing your trainer picked up by a Machamp while his spare arms can be used to push boulders.

I can tell you a bit more about Golisopod, seeing as I'm actually using one.

First Impression is certainly an interesting move, it's like Fake Out, except not crap. A 90 Base Power Priority Bug move on a Pokemon as slow as a Glacier definitely has it's uses.

The only issue with that is that it can only be used on the first turn it's in battle, after that, it's wasting space. I decided to go with Leech Life instead, to make it even tougher to kill.

Which brings me on to Emergency Exit. Golisopod automatically switches whenever it's HP drops below half, even if it hasn't attacked yet.

At times, it's a great way to gain momentum, and at others, it's incredibly infuriating. Especially seeing as in a wild Pokemon battle, it forces you to flee!

The thing's going to be bloody useless for catching legendary Pokemon!

Poni Island does have a slight jump in level, about 3-4, and I'm still higher level than everything there! Added a Turtonator to my team now. Thing's even slower than Golisopod! So that has the Quick Claw now.

Yeah, I cracked up laughing when I got Machamp Shove, I was expecting a piggyback ride or something, but it looks like I saw a Rattata and went "EEEK! Save me, Machamp!"

Although why is it wearing gloves? The saddles on the other Pokemon I can understand, but why does Machamp need gloves to pick you up?

Poke Pelago - the Evelup isles streamlines super training. Rather than furiously tapping punch-bags and playing stupid games, the whole process is streamlined by just leaving your pokemon there for as long as you want to get that stat boost.

Does it tell you how long it takes to get a certain amount of EV's?

Because if not, I can just see me messing it up and giving a Pokemon too many EV's because whoops, waited too long!

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

I love this SOS Battle

CyRyIvAWEAA6UMY.jpg

DEEPEST. LORE.

But holy shit, I'm so god damn slow with this game aha. Had a 5 day head start and only just reached the third island.

Very fun game, probably the most fun I've had with a Pokemon title for quite a few years. Kind of sucks they still couldn't get it running properly on the 3DS though, it can do far more than this.

VudZShL.jpg

I just had to nickname him Nebby, for obvious reasons

Just got the championships to go. I'm out of time, got work today which sucks, I got so close.

I love this SOS Battle

CyRyIvAWEAA6UMY.jpg

That bloody fan theory (Although they've pretty much retconned it in at this point) always annoys me.

I mean, if it applies, why the hell is Cubone brown? Shouldn't it be Purple?

And don't even get me started on the fact that female Marowaks don't have the pouch Kangaskhan does!

This has more holes in it than an Exploud!

I can tell you a bit more about Golisopod, seeing as I'm actually using one.

First Impression is certainly an interesting move, it's like Fake Out, except not crap. A 90 Base Power Priority Bug move on a Pokemon as slow as a Glacier definitely has it's uses.

The only issue with that is that it can only be used on the first turn it's in battle, after that, it's wasting space. I decided to go with Leech Life instead, to make it even tougher to kill.

Which brings me on to Emergency Exit. Golisopod automatically switches whenever it's HP drops below half, even if it hasn't attacked yet.

At times, it's a great way to gain momentum, and at others, it's incredibly infuriating. Especially seeing as in a wild Pokemon battle, it forces you to flee!

The thing's going to be bloody useless for catching legendary Pokemon!

Yeah, that's going to be annoying.

Poni Island does have a slight jump in level, about 3-4, and I'm still higher level than everything there! Added a Turtonator to my team now. Thing's even slower than Golisopod! So that has the Quick Claw now.

In fairness I already had my full team of 6 which I've been trying to raise evenly, without overgrinding, which is probably why I found myself somewhat underlevelled whereas until now you only had four Pokemon on your team.

Also, that's quite a number of Fire types you're using there.

Anyway, had the big epic legendary encounter with Lunala... and caught it in a Quick Ball. So anticlimatic.

Also all those rumours were true, Cosmog is a three stage evolution that ends in either Solgaleo or Lunala depending on your game. Pretty unique twist on the legendary Pokemon formula, what does this mean now that they can evolve from something else? Does this make Type:Null and Silvally also legendaries?

Also all those rumours were true, Cosmog is a three stage evolution that ends in either Solgaleo or Lunala depending on your game. Pretty unique twist on the legendary Pokemon formula, what does this mean now that they can evolve from something else? Does this make Type:Null and Silvally also legendaries?

When you register it in the Pokédex, it has the same Green border as all sub-legends (including Ultra Beasts), and I think Rotom refers to it as a Legend

That bloody fan theory (Although they've pretty much retconned it in at this point) always annoys me.

I mean, if it applies, why the hell is Cubone brown? Shouldn't it be Purple?

And don't even get me started on the fact that female Marowaks don't have the pouch Kangaskhan does!

This has more holes in it than an Exploud!

three tier evolution

Cubone - wears the skull of its departed mother and cries for its loss

>

Marowak - still wears its mothers skull and uses other bones as weapons to defend itself until it grows up

>

Kangaskhan - the fully matured Cubone no longer needs the skull having realised a piece of its mother lives in it and now with its own child it keeps them close to show it the love it felt from its mother....the love is so strong it will fight to the death to defend its little baby...thus starting the cycle again!

Embrace the theory for it is all but confirmed now

This has really picked up for me now and I'm starting to enjoy it a lot more.

But this stupid bitch in the white outfit and 'Nebby' is really getting on my nerves.

Legit so annoying.

That aside it's delicious.

Had a few battles online with my in-game team (both Single and Battle Royal) to mixed results.

Have only managed to win one game so far but there was a particularly interesting ending to one of the matches...

What I was a bit confused about though was that I got 5 knockouts in that particular match which was more than anyone else but the trainer with the Boldore was declared winner. Is that because the Boldore was the only Pokemon left on anyone's team?

When you register it in the Pokédex, it has the same Green border as all sub-legends (including Ultra Beasts), and I think Rotom refers to it as a Legend

iirc Rotom Dex wasn't quite sure how to classify it; I'll do a quick search and see what I find

EDIT: the exact quote

Zzzrt?! This Pokémon... I don't even know how to describe it... But my circuits are tingling!

Edited by Julius Caesar

In fairness I already had my full team of 6 which I've been trying to raise evenly, without overgrinding, which is probably why I found myself somewhat underlevelled whereas until now you only had four Pokemon on your team.

Also, that's quite a number of Fire types you're using there.

Fair enough, but it would have been even worse if the EXP scaling from B/W wasn't in effect. I love the fact they bought that back!

And if the majority of trainers didn't use only 1-2 Pokemon, I might have been in a bit of trouble...

Yeah, I noticed my Fire type overabundance. I don't care though, I use the Pokemon I think look cool, type matchups be damned!

Thankfully, it's caused a few issues that have made certain fights tricky.

I mentioned the Rock Kahuna actually blacking me out once. Not because it was difficult, but because I had three Pokemon and they were all weak to rock and slower than her Lycanroc. That was fun, had to change up my strategy there.

And recently, the 4th Kahuna actually put up a bit of a fight, but again, that's mainly due to 3 of my Pokemon being weak to ground. Why do I have to gimp myself in order for anyone to put up a challenge? Can't wait to actually fight some decent teams from N-Europe peeps!

Anyway, enough griping. I'm gonna spend all day soft resetting Solgaleo until I get a good one! Adamant with IV's in attack and speed, here I come!

It'll probably be the point where you get ahead of me now. This could take a while...

Cosmog evolving until Solgaleo would have been a really nice twist... If the title screen didn't completely give it away... It doesn't take a genius to realise that the spacey texture on it's face (Which is really emphasised) are the same between the two. Still, it's a nice little shake-up.

Lusamine was pathetic though, even with her cool, yet totally cheating powered up Pokemon. (Cool concept) I predicted her first Pokemon would be Clefable, put my Salazzle in the front and proceeded to totally spank her and call her a very naughty woman! She only managed to knock out one Pokemon. If I had the battle settings to switch, I probably could have gotten out of it unscathed.

15235628_1129697237148719_5256560238370730034_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

As mentioned in my last post, I added a Turtonator (his name is Zoktro), bringing my Pokemon that are weak to rock count to 5. But I also finally got myself a Jangmo-o, which I gave the totally fitting name Jerry.

It evolved twice in 3 levels, which was bloody fast! And now it's a... name I completely forgot how to spell... Hakammo-o? That's wrong isn't it?

Thankfully, it's not weak to rock. In fact, it's Dragon/Fighting, so it's very good against rock!

My Charjabug FINALLY evolved, not quite sure why though, but now it's a Vikavolt with stupid high Sp. Atk!

three tier evolution

Cubone - wears the skull of its departed mother and cries for its loss

>

Marowak - still wears its mothers skull and uses other bones as weapons to defend itself until it grows up

>

Kangaskhan - the fully matured Cubone no longer needs the skull having realised a piece of its mother lives in it and now with its own child it keeps them close to show it the love it felt from its mother....the love is so strong it will fight to the death to defend its little baby...thus starting the cycle again!

Embrace the theory for it is all but confirmed now

NEVER!

The only way I'm accepting it is if they change the evolution line-up so that female Cubones evolve into Kangaskhan, and Marowak is a male only evolution! You know, so it actually makes a damn bit of sense!

Actually, that would also stop the stupid (yet hilarious) moment when you breed a Kangaskhan and out of the egg pops... Another Kangaskhan! Complete with baby in the pouch! That's always confusing.

Until then, I don't buy it!

NEVER!

The only way I'm accepting it is if they change the evolution line-up so that female Cubones evolve into Kangaskhan, and Marowak is a male only evolution! You know, so it actually makes a damn bit of sense!

Actually, that would also stop the stupid (yet hilarious) moment when you breed a Kangaskhan and out of the egg pops... Another Kangaskhan! Complete with baby in the pouch! That's always confusing.

Maybe they just haven't discovered the secret to breeding a Kangaskhan to birth a Cubone. You know, kind of like how you always have a boy if the woman is elevated during conception. Has anyone tried to elevate a Kangaskhan during conception?

NEVER!

that i can agree to! and as you've said makes it make an iota of sense on the evolutionary line - to me it seems its always been a connected line but at the time they didn't do it for reasons

Fair enough, but it would have been even worse if the EXP scaling from B/W wasn't in effect. I love the fact they bought that back!

Oh, THAT explains why I've only been getting something like 230 EXP off some of the Alolan Sandshrew in the game's equivalent to Victory Road. Might also be using Pokemon that have slow growth gains though but I did have quite a few Pokemon faint during the game which meant I had to revive them and they got less experience than they otherwise would have done and I tried not to grind too much unless I felt I absolutely had to, such as reaching Poni Island and recentlu. Got everyone up to Level 54 though so planning to take on the Pokemon League today and see what kind of levels I'm up against and whether I've undergrinded them or overgrinded the team.

Also I had a feeling you would take Kommo-o as the last Pokemon. It's interesting that they give you the base form at a level where you can get it very quickly to it's final stage because Jangmo-o evolves at Level 35 and then again at Level 45, yet they give you the base form at low 40s in terms of levels. If you got yours at level 42 then that sounds about right for the amount of time it takes to get it to it's final stage.

My Charjabug FINALLY evolved, not quite sure why though, but now it's a Vikavolt with stupid high Sp. Atk!

It's a location specific evolution, it only evolves in Poni Canyon for some reason. I tested this out this morning by taking a Grubbin I caught near the beginning of the game, evolving him into Charjabug then taking him to Poni Canyon, he evolved into a Vikavolt and is still at something like level 21 or 22. I believe Crabrawler's is also location specific too (you can't evolve it until the final dungeon)

On another note, also made an effort to fill up my Pokedex a bit more, got a Popplio off GTS and evolved it all the way to a Primarina, also evolved the Pikipek I caught early on all the way to a Toucannon and did the quick evolution of Jangmo-o to Kommo-o.

All the while listening to the awesome song that is this game's Victory Road music (even though they don't actually call it Victory Road)

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Maybe they just haven't discovered the secret to breeding a Kangaskhan to birth a Cubone. You know, kind of like how you always have a boy if the woman is elevated during conception. Has anyone tried to elevate a Kangaskhan during conception?

Get an Alakazam, teach it Telekinesis and have it watch from the sidelines.

Job done, just remember to get the Alakazam to safety afterwards, because that'll be one annoyed Kangaskhan you're dealing with.

Is it me, or have I read this before? Like, a few days ago?

Anyway, sickening advertising aside, it's a solid game, good for it.

I do wonder how many people bought it and are annoyed that it's nothing like Pokemon Go?

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

Get an Alakazam, teach it Telekinesis and have it watch from the sidelines.

Job done, just remember to get the Alakazam to safety afterwards, because that'll be one annoyed Kangaskhan you're dealing with.

Is it me, or have I read this before? Like, a few days ago?

Anyway, sickening advertising aside, it's a solid game, good for it.

I do wonder how many people bought it and are annoyed that it's nothing like Pokemon Go?

That was the UK sales. Only today they confirmed biggest European launch.

Actually blacked out against the final boss after forgetting to go into the Pokemon League without buying any healing items first. Sheer carelessness on my part, normally I'm pretty good at remembering to do that but this time around I got by on the healing items and Max Revives I already had, made it to the final encounter only for the main Pokemon of the opponent to completely wipe my team out.

This is what it was looking like going into the last encounter:

CyhVpK8XcAEkT-U.jpg

Sadly the day before these games came out I was spoilt on the fact that Professor Kukui is the final encounter of the game, but I love the idea and the fact that they did this in the 20th anniversary game is a bit of a throwback to the fact that they had a scrapped fight against Professor Oak in the original games. But moreover, I was wondering if since this is the 20th anniversay games and no one has claimed the starter that is good against yours, I was starting to wonder if the Champion would have the fully evolved version of the starter that was good against you, and what do you know? He does. That Incineroar clean swept my team, not helped by the fact that the champion actually uses Stealth Rock from Lycanroc first turn to ensure that every time you switch out you take damage. Actual competitive tactics for a final boss.

On another note, some of the Elite Four weren't quite who I as expecting and it was cool to see them forshadow one of them in the demo. I hadn't come across anyone who had a Toucannon on their team and that turned out to be the main Pokemon of one of the Elite Four which was a cool twist.

After becoming the most pre-ordered video games in Nintendo history, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon – the latest games in the wildly popular Pokémon franchise – have now become the fastest-selling games that Nintendo has ever launched in the Americas. In less than two weeks, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems sold a combined total of 3.7 million units. That’s an 85 percent increase over Pokémon X and Pokémon Y – the previous record holders for Nintendo’s fastest-selling games – during the same period when those games launched in 2013.

God damn this game has sold over 3.5 million already.

Pokémon go did the work.

85% increase over x and y is insane. Worldwide there at like 7.5 mil in two weeks.

Edited by liger05