NEurope
Daft

Pokémon Sun/Moon

but it's not Sun & Moon

You got Platinum in addition to the originals right? And B2W2? And Emerald? And Crystal?

How is this different

Because it gives the impression that they're purposefully holding back content for Stars.

Like @Dcubed said, the only way for them to bring out Stars so soon on a new console is if they were developing it alongside Sun/Moon. Which means it's very possible (and very likely) that ideas were thought of and then someone probably came along and said something along the lines of "You should save that one for the Switch version"

And it's not a very nice feeling being played like that.

After resisting looking at spoilers for so long, I've found myself caving it as far as stats are concerned and have taken a look at the stats of the all the starters as well as select Pokemon that I'm interested in using.

So Decidueye is a mixed attacker, Incineroar a mainly physical attacker and Primarina a Special attacker. Hidden abilities are Long Range, Intimidate and Liquid Voice respectively, the former makes all physical contact moves non physical contact and the latter turns all sound based moves into water moves.

Lycanroc unfortunately doesn't get any type coverage beyond Rock and Dark moves which is a massive disappointment because I was hoping to use it as my Earthquake user (it doesn't even learn Dig, how can a dog/wolf not even be able to dig? That doesn't make sense especially when Arcanine, Stoutland, Mightyena and Granbull can all learn Dig.

Bewear got a base stat total of 500 with amazing HP and Attack stats. Not got much else going on that end but it has a great physical movepool with things like Earthquake (there's the EQ user I was looking for), Ice Punch, Superpower, Thunder Punch and even Dragon Claw. Downside, no Fighting moves learned through Level up as a Stufful aside from Hammer Arm and Superpower, both which come after it's evolution level.

Silvally has 95 base stats across it's entire spread giving it a 570 base stat total. Type: Null however has the same stats except 59 speed. The wide movepool I expected doesn't exist, it can still cover quite a few types but it can't learn Earthquake which sucks because having Fairy memory with Eartquake to cover both weaknesses would have been awesome... actually, that's probably why Silvally can't learn Earthquake.

With Salandit looking like a speedy Special attacker it looks like I'll end up with two physical attackers, three mixed attackers and one special attacker if I stick to my team plan.

Also lol at that Zubat comic.

Because it gives the impression that they're purposefully holding back content for Stars.

Like @Dcubed said, the only way for them to bring out Stars so soon on a new console is if they were developing it alongside Sun/Moon. Which means it's very possible (and very likely) that ideas were thought of and then someone probably came along and said something along the lines of "You should save that one for the Switch version"

Considering how poorly the 3DS Pokemon games seem to run I doubt they held anything back just so Stars would have more. It's more likely that all the cool 'other' ideas they thought of can ONLY be done on the Switch.

Considering how poorly the 3DS Pokemon games seem to run I doubt they held anything back just so Stars would have more. It's more likely that all the cool 'other' ideas they thought of can ONLY be done on the Switch.

I'll believe that when I see it. Until then, I feel confident that there'll be some new non Gen 1 Alolan Pokemon will be showing up sooner or later.

No it doesn't. We don't know anything about the game, or if it's even real. It could like Crystal where the altered the storyline or a full blown sequel like B2/W2, we don't know. At least wait until have more information before jumping to conclusions. It's not like the game is lacking content already.

Blimey.

Personally I'll prob end up getting the Switch version even though I'll likely be done and dusted with Moon by then.

It's great for those people who want to play it but don't want to buy a 3ds just to play that one game.

Am I going to miss out on this great game now just because Nintendo might add more content to it for the switch version next year? Hell no. Seems ludicrous to me but each to their own. :)

No it doesn't. We don't know anything about the game, or if it's even real. It could like Crystal where the altered the storyline or a full blown sequel like B2/W2, we don't know. At least wait until have more information before jumping to conclusions. It's not like the game is lacking content already.

So what? I should buy Sun on the assumption that this may not be true?

That seems awfully short-sighted, doesn't it?

You know what? Don't respond. I don't care anymore. This whole matter is making me very annoyed and upset and I don't need this.

Even if it's not the case, I still despise everything TPC is doing with the franchise these days.

But in the end, it doesn't matter one bit. I know the moment an event comes along for one of the new mythical Pokemon, I'll cave.

Because I'm too weak to allow more than 10 years of Pokemon collecting go down the swanny.

So fine, I'll buy it, despite Europe getting the shaft for the third time in a row, despite the blatant dismissal of over 500 Pokemon that you'd have to be deluded to think that don't compare to those boring 90's designs and despite the very likely situation that I'll regret it.

This game better bloody knock it out of the park, I mean it, it better be B/W levels of good! Because at this point, if I get another X/Y or another embarrassing lack of stuff to do like OR/AS, I'm gonna want some explanations.

At least I can still count on Chun Soft to acknowledge all the Pokemon and not go for the lowest common denominator.

The wait is killing me. Gosh darn I hope we don't get a stupid delay once again with Stars...

But the wait aside, I'm loving what I've heard about or seen of the games in reviews. As for the news on Stars? I don't see it as a big deal, and, in my opinion, it won't be a third version in the traditional sense (i.e. slightly tweaked story, slightly tweaked Dex, round off a few corners and so on), simply because that wouldn't make much sense in my opinion - especially given the reported delay that came along with the news of it in the first place. If this has been in development alongside SM and if it's using fully HD models that have already been designed for SM, why on earth would there be a delay for a few tweaks? It's definitely not a third version in the sense that Platinum, Crystal or Emerald was in my opinion. I'm betting on a sequelistic third version (several years later with Necrozma as the main legendary, like BW2 but in one game).

As for them jumping ship to the Switch mid generation, I think it's walking onto and then back off the ship. Stars on the Switch, DP remakes on the 3DS and then a potential Kanto sequel/remake for the Switch (and anyone who screams "but we've done that a million times before!" , "meh") before we make the full Switch over.

EDIT: Put these financial predictions for SM up on Serebii a while back, so figured why not just sit them down here too? :P

By the end of 2013, roughly
31.09 million units (1) were sold under the 3DS umbrella (including the 2DS sand 3DS XL); likewise, by the end of 2013, roughly 11.61 million units (2) of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y had been sold, including a 4 million unit launch weekend (3). By using figures 1 and 2 (note that the same figure for end of year system sales has been used here; a smaller install base at launch would mean a greater multiplier, but I'm just going off the statistics I can find), we can estimate that approximately 13% of the install base purchased XY on the launch weekend, and, by using figures 1 and 3, that approximately 37% of the install base had purchased the games by the end of 2013.

Now, we don't know exact figures, but we do know that Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon are the most pre-ordered Nintendo games to date (though I can't use this in my calculations, I can in my personal predictions). The 3DS install base has obviously grown since the launch of XY, and, in fact, it has more likely more than doubled, passing 60 million units worldwide as of June 2016. Yeah, you know, before the unanimous success of GO? Anyhow, let's keep conservative and say they haven't sold a single system since that day and keep that figure at 60 million systems sold to keep it simple. By using the multipliers above, we can estimate that 13% of the 60 million system install base will purchase the game over the launch weekend, giving a total of about 7.7 million units over the weekend. Now, using the 37% multiplier, we can estimate that approximately 22 million units could end up being sold by the end of December 2016 (note here that the games will have been on sale a month less than XY, but considering it is much closer to Christmas I think the same multiplier could remain in effect). This would make it the third highest selling pair of Pokemon games in history, behind GS (23.1 million units sold) and RGB (31.38 million units sold), and that's without taking into account what happens after 2016. XY is currently sitting at 15.64 million units sold at the end of its generation, 3 years on, and we can find this to be a multiplier of roughly 135% of the games sold of XY by the end of 2013; applying that here would give a total of roughly 30.25 million units sold at the approximate end of Gen VII! Of course this doesn't take into account the Switch or other deterring factors, but, likewise, these calculations didn't take into account positive factors such as the effect of GO, a larger install base than used, etc. And please do note that these are just simply calculations; they could be well off, which is why I'm going to include some different views below.

TL;DR:

• multiplier gives roughly: a 7.7 million unit sale launch weekend (note: this would include initial EU sales); roughly 22 million units sold by the end of December 2016; roughly 30 million units sold by the approximate end of this generation.

Personal predictions:

pessimistic - 5 million units sold launch weekend; roughly 15 million units sold by end of 2016; roughly 20 million units sold by end of generation (and yes, note that this being pessimistic - it falling essentially off the map after a great start to be halted by Switch and other factors - approach still gives a greater return than any seen since GS, 15 years ago)

pessimistically realistic - 7 million units sold launch weekend; roughly 20 million by the end of 2016; roughly 25 million units sold by the end of generation (I'm still pretty pessimistic about its future after its initial run here), which would make it the second highest grossing pair of Pokémon games since GS

optimistically realistic - see above multiplier predictions^^^

a 7.7 million unit sale launch weekend (note: this would include initial EU sales); roughly 22 million units sold by the end of December 2016; roughly 30 million units sold by the approximate end of this generation.

optimistic (genwunners turn away now) - 9 million units sold launch weekend; roughly 25 million by the end of 2016; roughly 35 million by the end of generation (making it the highest selling pair of Pokémon games since the original trio of RGB)

EDIT 2.0 oh yeah...I'm back! :)

Edited by Julius Caesar

Got my first shiny! ^_^

Sweet, always a great moment when you find a shiny Pokemon for the first time.

Is it for a Pokemon that's already been revealed or existed in a previous generation and if so, what Pokemon did you get a shiny of?

(Related Note: Found a Shiny Seaking on HeartGold today. That game's given me two shinies now and both came in Mt. Silver)

As for them jumping ship to the Switch mid generation, I think it's walking onto and then back off the ship. Stars on the Switch, DP remakes on the 3DS and then a potential Kanto sequel/remake for the Switch (and anyone who screams "but we've done that a million times before!" , "meh") before we make the full Switch over.

Why would they ever release Stars on the Switch and then a DP remake on the 3DS?! That would make no sense whatsoever.

By the time a Diamond and Pearl remake would be released (2018 at the earliest) a HUGE number of people would have moved onto Switch and many (I imagine as it's what I would do) would have traded in their 3DS. To then release those remakes on an old console would be absolutely crazy!

Why would they ever release Stars on the Switch and then a DP remake on the 3DS?! That would make no sense whatsoever.

By the time a Diamond and Pearl remake would be released (2018 at the earliest) a HUGE number of people would have moved onto Switch and many (I imagine as it's what I would do) would have traded in their 3DS. To then release those remakes on an old console would be absolutely crazy!

I agree wholeheartedly, but I'm going to tip-toe carefully with what Joe was saying: they're not going to just Switch mid-generation. I mean, by all accounts, new Pokémon, and transfer only via Bank, amongst other things, are what define the classical reference of a Pokémon generation! Are we then going to argue that Stars is Gen VIII? Man, this is going to be a weird one over on Serebii...SM caused enough of a stir with the whole Gen 6.5 nonsense.

But alas, I concede. Not quite sure I was thinking with my bold statement; rather, I should have said, if the Switch is a flat-out failure then I wouldn't be surprised if they returned with DP remakes.

Very very happy with the AI in this game. Random trainers seem to know whats super-effective and keep to it and the whole wild/Totem Pokemon calling for back-up makes random encounters a bit more interesting.

Do you know if super-training returns? I can the bouncy castle attraction seems to be its replacement, but how do you get other stat boost games?

Sweet, always a great moment when you find a shiny Pokemon for the first time.

Is it for a Pokemon that's already been revealed or existed in a previous generation and if so, what Pokemon did you get a shiny of?

(Related Note: Found a Shiny Seaking on HeartGold today. That game's given me two shinies now and both came in Mt. Silver)

It's been officially revealed but I'll spoiler it.

Yungoos

Very very happy with the AI in this game. Random trainers seem to know whats super-effective and keep to it and the whole wild/Totem Pokemon calling for back-up makes random encounters a bit more interesting.

Do you know if super-training returns? I can the bouncy castle attraction seems to be its replacement, but how do you get other stat boost games?

It doesn't. It basically been replaced by the S.O.S battles (/ when a Pokemon calls for help, hope that's a fan term because they could have come up with something better).

When you create a chain you get double EVs from each Pokemon. Apparently with Pokerus and a Power item, you only need to faint 7 Pokemon to max a stat.

Also if you knock out 30 Pokemon your guaranteed to get encounters with a minimum of 4 max IV stats.

It also increases the chance of encountering a shiny, which is how I got my Yungoos.

I've been back and forth as to whether I should get this and after listening to this weeks RFN I have bit the bullet and ordered Moon this morning.

Some of the QoL changes, no real HMs and mixing up the gym structure sound right up my street. It also helps that there seems to be a healthy dose of Gen 1 stuff in the game, which makes me a happy chappy. :heart:

Got my first shiny! ^_^

You never forget your first. (And no, Gyarados doesn't count) Mine was a Numel in Ruby

Anyone else watch the first couple of episodes from the Sun and Moon anime? Man, what have they done with the animation? It looks terribly cheap and someone they have managed to make Ash look like he's a 5 year old kid! He started to look a little older in the last couple of series and now he's reverted back to this state.

Took until Pokemon White to find my first Shiny (that wasn't Gyarados). Found a shiny Frillish at the P2 Laboratory. I'd already got a Frillish but couldn't really turn down getting another one. I since trained it and evolved it into Jellicent for the Pokedex.

bYaWbfV.jpg

Since then I've also got a Shiny Golbat (now a Shiny Crobat), a Shiny Lunatone and the Shiny Seaking. All in White and HeartGold, every other game I've gotten I've never managed to find a Shiny.

With regards to the Sun and Moon anime, I'm a bit mixed on the animation myself and I'm also not quite sure how they've handled a character that's based around making puns with Pokemon names when said puns are only going to really work in Japanese. That said, the fact that they gave Bewear a high pitched sqeaky voice really added to the character of that Pokemon:

Can't wait to be able to use one on my team.

LOVING this game! The Pokemon isles (keeping it vague) are great incentives to catch more Pokemon!

Love the trials too - much better than the simple battle a few gym cronies then leader system. The world is just so lush and the most immersive in Pokemon. <3

And for the first time in a long time Im actually losing to these gym leaders/totem Pokemon <tears of joy>

Edited by King_V

Not had too much time to play it still, but it's a very refreshing take on Pokemon but I have one huge criticism that isn't already widely covered: L = A Button mode is fucking ruined. If you play on this mode, there are some things you just can't do, like rotate camera models or even take photos properly with the Rotom camera thing, great play testing you got there.

It doesn't. It basically been replaced by the S.O.S battles (/ when a Pokemon calls for help, hope that's a fan term because they could have come up with something better).

When you create a chain you get double EVs from each Pokemon. Apparently with Pokerus and a Power item, you only need to faint 7 Pokemon to max a stat.

Also if you knock out 30 Pokemon your guaranteed to get encounters with a minimum of 4 max IV stats.

It also increases the chance of encountering a shiny, which is how I got my Yungoos.

Isle Evelup seems to be the super training substitute with the juices to enhance stats - is this correct?