NEurope
Daft

Pokémon Sun/Moon

@Hero\-of\-Time it's great to read your progress. I really enjoyed this game after only ever playing red, blue and diamond.

What's your current opinion about it?

Keep posting your progress, it's awesome to read!

@Hero\-of\-Time it's great to read your progress. I really enjoyed this game after only ever playing red, blue and diamond.

What's your current opinion about it?

Keep posting your progress, it's awesome to read!

I'm really enjoying it. The game didn't click with me back in November but it certainly has now. It's nice playing the game now that the hype is over and i'm just going about my business in my own way.

There's so many little things that i'm liking from this entry. From the trials instead of gyms, to the whole riding Pokemon mechanic to get around, all of these things make it feel fresher than it has done in years.

I do have one issue and that is the performance of the game. I have no idea if this is the same for N3DS but the game really struggle when there's more than 2 Pokemon on screen. I had a 4 way battle yesterday and the game slowed to a crawl. It felt I was battling in treacle. Game Freak really need to get their finger out and start optimising their games better.

I carried on my adventures on the second island, last night. I absolutely loved the 2nd trial.

Kiawe looked like a real hardcase but his trial was hilarious. Watching the Marowak do a little dance was funny enough but when the Hiker jumped in and then Salazzle, well I completely lost it and had a good chuckle.

:D

While heading towards the 2nd trial I caught a few new Pokmeon on my way. I've added Kangaskhan, Cubone, Magby and Salandit to my team. The last one took some doing, though and it was an interesting battle.

I came across a Fletchling but ended up knocking it out. In an attempt to find and catch another one I came across my first Salandit. I remember Kyle and Brandon talking about this Pokemon and how the female was rare and you needed that version for the evolution. I looked up at the sex of the Pokemon and lo and behold it was female! I needed to catch this.

I went about whittling it's health down but couldn't catch it as it kept calling in backup. When I did finally get it on its own I went to throw a Pokeball only to find I have just 2 Great Balls left! I threw the first and even though the health of the Pokemon was on the smallest sliver of red, it still broke out. I started to panic a bit at this point and then remembered that my Brionne had just learnt Sing. I swapped out Dartrix with Brionne, used Sing and then threw my final ball. 1 shake....2 shake....3 shake... CAUGHT! Success. :yay:

I have to say, it was quite a stressful capture but it felt great to nab it. I still didn't catch a Fletchling, though. I really should go back there and get one caught. :smile:

Before heading to work this morning I cracked on with the 3rd trial.

Another nice little break from the norm, this time I had to find and gather a few ingredients for Mallow. This was a fun little sidequest and the battle itself was a decent one.

I used Torracat for the type advantage but the cheeky git that is Lurantis called in Castform, which then proceeded to use water type moves on me. It took a few turns to take out Lurantis as it kept healing itself. After it was defeated I had just enough health left in Torracat to finish off Castform.

I do quite like the SOS thing that this game has going for it. It can change the way the battle works, especially if the Pokemon call in another type. I dunno how often this happens though. Still, I find it a fresh take on how bot random and set battles are played out.

I've now saved it just after this battle and i'm ready for the Grand Trial of the 2nd island. I may do a spot of leveling during my lunch break or I may just head straight for the GT. I'll see how I feel at the time.

Oh, one last thing. I came across a couple of golfers near a Pokemon Centre, while playing this morning. One of them was female ( Maile ) and was wearing a skirt, while bent over swinging a club. The other was male ( Alan ) who I swear was just standing there watching her bend over. Pervert. :o

I did have a laugh at the line Maile used though. She mentioned how playing golf was all in the hips, which is clearly a Happy Gilmore reference. I found this to be a very freaky coincidence, as I was sitting watching that film yesterday, while playing this game. Very weird.

I do have one issue and that is the performance of the game. I have no idea if this is the same for N3DS but the game really struggle when there's more than 2 Pokemon on screen. I had a 4 way battle yesterday and the game slowed to a crawl. It felt I was battling in treacle. Game Freak really need to get their finger out and start optimising their games better.

It's a fair bit better on N3DS, but not perfect.

Game Freak really should have scaled the models down. The 3DS doesn't need models with the level of intricacy these have

Still hoping the rumoured third one is coming to switch

See, I'm currently in two minds about this.

On one hand, they've never moved from one generation of device to another without there being a change in generation, and seeing as this generation has only just started, I can't see them changing from 3DS to Switch only: the install base, of course with the console having just launched, is a fraction of the 3DS'. They also didn't change console part way through the generation with Gen V and BW to BW2.

On the other hand, the 3DS, unlike the Switch, was backwards compatible with game cards, meaning that it didn't matter that Gen V was published on the DS, and the only way I can think they'd get around this is by releasing 'Stars' on both consoles, though it could only be eShop only to keep production costs lower for the system with a smaller install base. Sun and Moon did have extremely evident flaws in terms of how smoothly the game performed, though, and I think that this contributes to the argument for a move to the Switch, especially if they are planning on using those HD assets that were found in SM.

Personally, I don't want to see 'Stars' on the Switch: the install base is much larger for the 3DS, and if this game is essentially just a port of SM in the way that other third versions are only slightly different to their predecessors, with higher resolution models and 20 or so new Pokémon, I'd be buying it based on the fact that I'm a fan of the franchise and not because I'm interested in the game's content. Adding a new story and making it a sequel, however, changes that, but then why would Pokémon work so hard on a new story and new content only for it to have a much smaller install base and therefore "only" 5-10 million in lifetime sales as opposed to 15-20 on the 3DS as a last hurrah for the franchise on dual screens?

I think they have two games in the works, with Stars being a sequel and not a third version as Eurogamer reported, having been worked on alongside Sun and Moon, to be released on the 3DS some time between Q3 2017 and Q2 2018 (judging from movie events too, with what I assume is three planned for this generation - Magearna (2016), Ash Hat Pikachu (2017) and Marshadow (2018)), with a Switch game also in the works for release between Q3 2018 and Q4 2019 (depending on development time).

The only way I can see Stars being on Switch is if it's cross platform like Fire Emblem Warriors and is on 3DS and Switch.

They'd need to work out many things, including Switch to 3DS local communication for local multiplayer. Online can be done easily, but it's the local which is tricky, especially as Live Competitions use the 3DS's IR port, which the Switch lacks.

Yeah, they need to be able to keep it so that if you wanted to battle your friend's team but theirs is on the Switch and yours is on the 3DS, that you could still do such a thing. Especially when you get people who might play through the games together at the same time and battle each other at certain points.

Used to battle my brother after every gym back in Gen 4 and I've seen on Youtube others that do something similar albeit with a bit less routine.

So, apparently Arcanine can under the right circumstances be effective as a Physical Wall. This Arcanine set completely destroyed me, but then I did bring an all physical attacking team so that didn't help matters.

8D4W-WWWW-WWW6-8KJS

Yeesh, that team was just all sorts of wrong for the job. Now I finally get why Arcanine has gotten a surge in popularity recently. I never seem to struggle with them.

BTW, older videos don't work because of the update that changed Parting Shot. Seeing as the replays work like Smash Bros, they don't work anymore.

To be honest I always thought the reason it has had a surge in popularity is because it can learn Burn Up via Egg Move and is the best Pokemon statwise that can learn that move. Effectively removing all weaknesses.

I did check Smogon after posting that video and it seems that the Arcanine set used was a standard Smogon set. I may just stick with my Battle Tree team for online battles from now on.

I took down another kahuna this morning and my 3 starters have now reached their final forms.

My Decidueye kicked Olivia's backside. I was pretty much one shotting her entire team. She used Lycanroc, who I still think looks so much worse than little Rockruff.

I'm really lacking an electric user in my team but there seems to be a serious lack of these types in this game. I'm probably gonna drop Crabrawler as I have Primarina on water duties.

I think i'll head back to some previous areas and try and see if I can catch a few new 'Mons. Hopefully I can pick up some ones that I've yet to see. I'm also tempted to farm for a shiny Rockruff. I'll see how I feel when I fire the game back up later.

I took down another kahuna this morning and my 3 starters have now reached their final forms.

My Decidueye kicked Olivia's backside. I was pretty much one shotting her entire team. She used Lycanroc, who I still think looks so much worse than little Rockruff.

I'm really lacking an electric user in my team but there seems to be a serious lack of these types in this game. I'm probably gonna drop Crabrawler as I have Primarina on water duties.

I think i'll head back to some previous areas and try and see if I can catch a few new 'Mons. Hopefully I can pick up some ones that I've yet to see. I'm also tempted to farm for a shiny Rockruff. I'll see how I feel when I fire the game back up later.

Crabrawler isn't Water-type :P

It's Fighting-type

Crabrawler isn't Water-type :P

It's Fighting-type

Dude has a water move, so he's been my water type when not using Primarina.

Dude has a water move, so he's been my water type when not using Primarina.

My Charizard has a Grass move, doesn't make it a Grass type.

That's called good coverage. It's a good idea to have another Pokemon with a backup move in case your actual water type faints.

Also, Midnight Lycanroc is an awesome design, way more interesting than another cute puppy Pokemon, long overdue a werewolf style Pokemon.

Shame it's absolutely atrocious, battle-wise.

That's called good coverage. It's a good idea to have another Pokemon with a backup move in case your actual water type faints.

To be fair, I've reached the point of where I don't really need coverage. My Pokemon are 10 levels higher than the opposition and my 3 starters seem to be taking care of business on their own. Even my little Rockruff doesn't get much of a look in. It was very much the same way in X where my Greninja took care of everything and the rest were just along for the ride.

The Grubbin line are a good electric type, but you don't get the final evolution near the end of the game. I liked Alolan Raichu.

I just came across an adorable looking koala. The thing reminded me of Reggie from American Dad. :D I'm gonna have to go back and catch one!

I'm stuck collecting retarded looking bears at the moment. What an atrocious looking Pokemon. The colour scheme is awful, as well.

I just came across an adorable looking koala. The thing reminded me of Reggie from American Dad. :D I'm gonna have to go back and catch one!

I'm stuck collecting retarded looking bears at the moment. What an atrocious looking Pokemon. The colour scheme is awful, as well.

Stufful, right? It's meant to be based off a Teddy Bear. I agree with you, not a good looking Pokemon.

It's evolution's Pokedex entry is hella disturbing though.

Stufful, right? It's meant to be based off a Teddy Bear. I agree with you, not a good looking Pokemon.

It's evolution's Pokedex entry is hella disturbing though.

I think he may have meant Komala :p

I think he may have meant Komala :p

Second paragraph, dude.

How do you go from calling Komala 'adorable' and then in the next paragraph, calling the design atrocious.

Also Serebii! You trying to tell me there's a section in Sun/Moon where you're running around, collecting Komalas?

You're meant to be the living Pokemon encyclopedia here!

Second paragraph, dude.

How do you go from calling Komala 'adorable' and then in the next paragraph, calling the design atrocious.

Also Serebii! You trying to tell me there's a section in Sun/Moon where you're running around, collecting Komalas?

You're meant to be the living Pokemon encyclopedia here!

I don't read entire posts :P

I don't read entire posts :P

Methinks you've been spending too much time on GAF.

Caught Komala.:yay:

I've dumped Crabrawler and Toucannon in the box and added Komala and Pancham ( nabbed him while looking for Komala ) to my team. My army of cute Pokemon continues to grow. I'm gonna need another Everstone for Pancham and another if I start using Phantump. :D

Caught Komala.:yay:

I've dumped Crabrawler and Toucannon in the box and added Komala and Pancham ( nabbed him while looking for Komala ) to my team. My army of cute Pokemon continues to grow. I'm gonna need another Everstone for Pancham and another if I start using Phantump. :D

Have you come across Pyukumuku, Mimikyu or Togedemaru yet? ;)

Have you come across Pyukumuku, Mimikyu or Togedemaru yet? ;)

I seen the first one just as a side quest. I had to gather a bunch of them and throw them in the sea. I've yet to see one in the wild.

The second one is that freaky looking puppet Pikachu, correct? I haven't seen one yet.

Is the last one the fat little Pikachu/hedgehog thing? I haven't seen one in the wild but I have seen it on one the few episodes of the TV series I have watched.

I've just defeated Sophocles. His trial was short but fun. Trying to guess the sounds was a nice change of pace. The totem Pokemon was pretty cool looking.

Taking my old Mega Pidgeot for a spin. (Pidgeotite and Steelixite is available for those who did the Competition now) and well, this happened.

5H8G-WWWW-WWW6-BZY2

EDIT: That Mega Pidgeot team (Infernape and Seismitoad made up the other two) took me surprisingly far.

Managed to beat Cynthia at Battle 20, then I smacked Anabel at Battle 40!

GD3G-WWWW-WWW6-BQJ3

"I could do this! I've got a chance! Miracles could happen!"

Then Battle 42...

158377d893c8cb4c059904044f024654c4d9601d824d2cd4bf30a8afbe712642.gif

Rotom used Thunder.

Critical Hit!

Now excuse me while I go cry in the corner...

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

Dang...

That Seismitoad you were using did seem to have a pretty similar moveset to the one I have on my White team. I saw Poison Jab, Earthquake and Drain Punch on it, and with my own one I had these moves plus Surf for the STAB Water coverage (even though Waterfall would have been better for it but Seismitoad was my water type on the team and obviously I needed someone to Surf on, not necessarily someone to use Waterfall). I've got to admit though the fact that Seismitoad couldn't learn Ice moves made the Dragon gym very challenging.

Anyway, had a few double battles recently, experimenting with a dual wall lead. The first one was actually quite a good evenly contested battle between myself and my opponent but I think the match ended in him forfeiting when he was down to just his Tapu Lele. Would have been fun to see if he could have somehow managed to pull it back.

BKDW-WWWW-WWW6-CXUQ

Then in this battle against a rain team things were going quite badly (Silvally switch was the worst switch ever) but towards the end I though that I could be in a position where, with the Raichu having been taken out, I was intending to stall out with my Toxapex to try and have an epic turnaround, only for the Politoed to freeze me and then reveal that it was trying to get the freezehax all along because it was hiding that it knew Earthquake all that time, I had been under the impression that all that they had left were Pokemon with not very effective moves against me.

Z82W-WWWW-WWW6-CXV5