NEurope
Daft

Pokémon Sun/Moon

I didn't realize GAME were giving away 20th anniversary cards with the game. I went and picked up a copy of Sun for my niece for Christmas and they gave me a Slowpoke, Meowth and Geodude cards. Score! :D

15134554_1390981714268939_4931845022130473499_n.jpg?oh=039c211bba1ea6c7b65e695df4eff6c3&oe=58CFC86A

So I barely have the game on for half an hour today and I got another shiny, never have I found more than one in a single play through, its certainly seems like a less rare experience in this game.

1 in 4,096, same as in X/Y.

That said, I've heard you can use SOS calls to increase the chances.

1 in 4,096, same as in X/Y.

That said, I've heard you can use SOS calls to increase the chances.

That explains it, both were SOS call Pokemon.

Might as well give a proper team update.

About to take on the fourth trial, the days of being overlevelled may start to flatten themselves out as the team is not really that higher levelled from the last trial, just that there are now six team members around that particular level which gives me a lot of coverage. Still need a Ground type move to take on Electric types and something to take on Dragon types but for now, here is the team below:

Kaepora/Dartrix Lv.26 (False Swipe, Razor Leaf, Astonish, Peck)

Mickey/Pikachu Lv.25 (Charge Beam, Nasty Plot, Hidden Power, Thunder Wave)

Oki/Lycanroc Lv.26 (Protect, Rock Tomb, Bite, Roar)

Biolizard/Salandit Lv.25 (Flame Burst, Sweet Scent, Hidden Power, Smog)

Tediz/Stufful Lv.24 (Leer, Brick Break, Flail, Brutal Swing)

Blue Tektite/Araquanid Lv.24 (Bite, Spider Web, Bug Bite, Scald)

CyL2W2LWEAAlqV4.jpg

Also had a go at the Battle Spot online, despite my very low levelled team putting me at a disadvantage against all the level 50s online. Battle Royal mode was actually quite fun and my Dartrix actually survived a long time until his evolved form Decidueye decided to take me out in one hit with Brave Bird.

I'm just completed the second trial.

This was my team:

Trial2.jpg

Pikachu will probably be dropping out soon

Took me an hour and a half to catch a feebas, then on my way to a pokemon centre i caught a second -_-

Edited by Shift

6 trials done, only difference in my team is that my Salandit has evolved.

The rock trial was the first time I struggled, not because it was particularly difficult, but because all three of my Pokemon are weak to Rock. Oopsies.

Pulled it off after a few tries though. On to the third island!

I'm starting to get the impression these trials are just basically discount gyms. Outside of the setting, they're not really shaking it up at all.

Take Gym. Cut it in size. Replace Leader with Totem/Kahuna. Done.

Not impressed.

Now don't get me wrong, it's still Pokemon. So I am enjoying it, but I was expecting more. It's easily more engaging than X/Y for sure. So good job on that part.

I just hope I don't end up with only 4 Pokemon in my team like I did with X/Y...

Edited by Glen-i

Game completed! A very satisfying ending and the post game stuff looks pretty beefy.

Anyone want some battles? FC: 1178-1519-8593

Game completed! A very satisfying ending and the post game stuff looks pretty beefy.

Anyone want some battles? FC: 1178-1519-8593

I might take you up on that when I finish, I always like battling @Ugh first aid's playthrough team when we finish the game.

The problem is it'll probably be next week when I do that, and by then, your team won't be the same as it was when you finished it, so it's not exactly a fair comparison of who's playthrough team was better...

Actually, who else would be up for that? Next weekend, when we all finish the game, don't change anything on your team once you see the credits? And then maybe we could have some kind of mini-tournament.

To see whose team sucks the least?

EDIT: OH WAIT! Can you create a QR code with your team and then use that? That way, you can carry on training them, but still use the same team that you saw the credits with and it'd be fair and everything!

Should I make a thread on this? I quite like this idea.

Edited by Glen-i

About to take on the second Grand Trial. Team has improved a bit but the most notable improvement is that my Stufful has now evolved.

Kaepora/Dartrix Lv.27 (False Swipe, Razor Leaf, Astonish, Pluck)

Mickey/Pikachu Lv.27 (Charge Beam, Nasty Plot, Hidden Power, Grass Knot)

Oki/Lycanroc Lv.27 (Protect, Rock Tomb, Bite, Roar)

Biolizard/Salandit Lv.27 (Flame Burst, Sweet Scent, Hidden Power, Venoshock)

Tediz/Bewear Lv.27 (Leer, Brick Break, Flail, Brutal Swing)

Blue Tektite/Araquanid Lv.27 (Bite, Aqua Ring, Leech Life, Scald)

BS9gjCp.png?1

Taught a few new moves through TMs to certain Pokemon, finally got rid of Smog for Venoshock on Salandit and gave Araquanid Leech Life, he also learned Aqua Ring through level up. Also got the Pikanium-Z but it turns out that you need Volt Tackle to use it, no chance of Catastropika then.

8 trials sorted now, the ghost one was the second somewhat interesting trial.

Not a good ratio, but oh well.

I've got a fourth Pokemon, Golisopod.

15194447_1125486080903168_3773248672388753174_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Charjabug still hasn't evolved yet, it's not a thunderstone I need, so here's hoping I'll stumble across it.

I have got an Inciniroar now. And I am now completely vindicated in choosing Litten!

Inciniroar is easily the most expressive Pokemon I've ever seen. It's smirks are great, it giving me a congratulatory fist pump when I feed it, everything it freaking does is pure gold.

Screw Decidueye! It's boring! Over-acting hammy wrestler cat is where it's at!

First actual cat Pokemon that isn't totally lame! Good job!

I haven't played loads of this, about 3 hours in.

So far I'm a bit let down.

I know people were calling out for a change in the format, so the removal of gyms has been welcome for a lot, but I'm kinda missing the tried and tested formula.

It feels like I'm wandering aimlessly at the minute and without the gym badges it feels like there isn't much of a purpose.

I might feel better once I have done the trial things but I'm a little confused as to whether or not I've even done one as the 'story' and gameplay doesn't quite flow as well as I'd have expected.

At the moment, there's also too much stop start. There's some grass for catching Pokemon but then you walk out of it and you're embroiled in what seems like endless chat with characters for 5 minutes. It's a bit jarring at the moment.

Hopefully it picks up, 3 hours is nothing on a Pokemon game so this won't put me off. I guess I compare everything to Black and White now (not B&W 2, *shudder*) due to how sublime that game was.

Just beat the Electric Trial last night. Wasn't particularly difficult in the end and I had a pretty good strategy for the Totem fight.

On the first turn I had my Salandit use Toxic on the Totem Pokemon. I was a bit wary of something that might give it some form of recovery in terms of partner Pokemon plus this one had an aura that raised ALL stats. So by using Toxic on it I could guarantee extra damage every turn. That allowed me to focus on taking out the side Pokemon with Flame Burst or Rock Tomb (Salandit fainted during the process so I switched to Lycanroc, but still revived Salandit). This strategy worked out in the end as the Totem never healed and Toxic allowed me to whittle away it's HP quite considerably and in the end Salandit got the experience.

As an added bonus, Salandit evolved straight after the totem fight. I've now cleared 5 trials and 2 Grand Trials. I think I'm in the second half of the game now because by my calculations there are only 2 normal trials and 2 Grand Trials left in the game.

So my team now is:

Kaepora/Dartrix Lv.32 (Synthesis, Razor Leaf, Steel Wing, Pluck) (Axed Astonish for Steel Wing)

Mickey/Pikachu Lv.32 (Volt Tackle, Nasty Plot, Hidden Power, Grass Knot) (Volt Tackle is there for Catastropika, Pikachu really doesn't take recoil damange well from Volt Tackle for it to be viable in a Set style playthrough)

Oki/Lycanroc Lv.32 (Stealth Rock, Rock Tomb, Bite, Roar)

Biolizard/Salazze Lv.33 (Flame Burst, Toxic, Hidden Power, Venoshock)

Tediz/Bewear Lv.32 (Aerial Ace, Brick Break, Bulldoze, Brutal Swing)

Blue Tektite/Araquanid Lv.32 (Bite, Aqua Ring, Leech Life, Scald)

A lot of things left to be desired in the plot still I feel. The library mentions that Lunala comes from another dimension. Curiously, so do the Ultra Beasts. Lusamine also refers to the Ultra Beasts as Pokemon themselves so maybe Ultra Beasts are just Pokemon from another dimension. I fought UB-01 earlier and it seemed to be part Poison type as it was weak to Psychic and used Venoshock. So if Lunala is from the same dimension as the Ultra Beasts, is that implying that there is a whole other dimension in Pokemon with it's own particular species of Pokemon? The fact that the cover legendary is not a native to Alola is a curious route to go down.

Also still in the dark about Gladion. He's working with Team Skull but not really a part of them and I'm curious to see where they take his character. Why is Colress in Alola? He surely can't be there for just a one-off appearance unless he's one of the partners for the Battle Tree.

Been trying to catch a Minior but they are such a pain to catch. Broke out of a Quick Ball so I tried to whittle it down, but it has Self-Destrcut which put paid to any chance of catching it. Did find a Komala though.

First Shiny!!

15194482_1390509720982805_461044891537796451_o.jpg

Nice! A rare encounter as well.

Umbreon (if I wanted either of those, it would be an Espeon).

Anyway, I found a second Everstone for Eevee.

But Umbreon is the best Eeveelution. Design wise. You can find Eevee in the wild in case your weren't aware (you probably are).

I'm starting to get the impression these trials are just basically discount gyms. Outside of the setting, they're not really shaking it up at all.

Take Gym. Cut it in size. Replace Leader with Totem/Kahuna. Done.

Not impressed.

Basically, which I feared from the start. It's nice it's a bit different but they don't really feel the same to me.

Been trying to catch a Minior but they are such a pain to catch. Broke out of a Quick Ball so I tried to whittle it down, but it has Self-Destrcut which put paid to any chance of catching it. Did find a Komala though.

I managed to catch 2 last night, I wasn't aware it knew self-destruct until I caught it so I was lucky there.

Beldum on the other hand took me ages to catch. Apparently Struggle also hits ghost types. to they ended up knocking themselves out since I weakened them using False Swipe.

Been trying to get a Light Ball from a Pichu but they are really rare for some reason. Can I use a Static Pokemon to increase my chances, then swap to a Pokemon with Compound Eyes and trigger an SOS battle to increase the chances of a called in one holding it?

Managed to get 2 Metal Coats and a Twisted Spoon though.

Dark Trial done, that brings it to 9.

But more importantly, which one of you jokers hacked my game to make Persian look like bloody Garfield!?

Everybody I know are blasting through the game, meanwhile I'm still hanging around on Route 1 cause I've had next to no time to play the last few days.

I did catch a wonderful (Adamant Skill Link) Pikipek, though. Named him Toucoco, after a toucan fakemon I made when I was probably around 10 years old. :heh:

Edited by FireMeowth

Just beat the third island Kahuna. The following tag contains some big story spoilers.

My team for the Kahuna was:

Kaepora/Decidueye Lv.37 (Synthesis, Razor Leaf, Spirit Shackle, Pluck)

Mickey/Pikachu Lv.37 (Volt Tackle, Nasty Plot, Hidden Power, Grass Knot) (Still a Pikachu because I'm waiting on Thunderbolt before I evolve him)

Oki/Lycanroc Lv.37 (Stealth Rock, Rock Slide, Bite, Roar)

Biolizard/Salazzle Lv.37 (Flame Burst, Toxic, Hidden Power, Venoshock)

Tediz/Bewear Lv.37 (Aerial Ace, Hammer Arm, Bulldoze, Brutal Swing)

Blue Tektite/Araquanid Lv.37 (Bite, Poison Jab, Leech Life, Scald)

They did it, they finally gave us a Dark type gym leader... sort of... and he was tough, fainted all but Pikachu who I didn't really use during the battle, and even Araquanid had to be revived during the fight.

Also looks like the Team Skull chapter came to a close with the storming of Po Town and the invasion of Guzma. Albeit Team Skull did take away Lillie for Cosmog and Gladion has now taken Hau and my character to the Aether Foundation. All of a sudden I'm now fighting Aether Employees (who have a really nice battle theme) and their sinister undertones are starting to be revealed. Tbh, this plot twist was kind of obvious (the trailers did imply there was more to these guys than there seemed.) although for the standards of a Pokemon game, to have a previously good organsiation turn out to be evil is something you don't see very too often and it seems like from this moment on they are taking over from Team Skull as the main villains, so we effectively have the world threat coming from someone other than the "evil team" this time around.

So yeah, currently at the Aether Paradise and am in a double battle with Gladion against two Aether Employees

Ive only played a few hours. I wish I had more time to play it. Has Super Training disappeared? Is there no simple way to incease EVs? I'm really enjoying the game so far. I have no idea what Pokemon to bother training up for my team though.

A wild Elekid appears!

Me: An Aqua Jet shouldn't knock it out

A critical hit!

The Elekid fainted.

Me: :cry:

*Spends 2 hours searching for another one*

These level jumps of wild Pokemon as you go to new islands is kinda ridiculous, Gotten to the 4th and final island and the wild Pokemon are higher level than the last major trainers Pokemon who I won't reveal because spoilers, the rare mon were higher than my highest leveled too.

Also I'm really unhappy with the placement of the Eevee evolving rocks, I can't get a Glaceon til I reach victory road but the Moss rock is on the second island still fairly early on.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Ive only played a few hours. I wish I had more time to play it. Has Super Training disappeared? Is there no simple way to incease EVs? I'm really enjoying the game so far. I have no idea what Pokemon to bother training up for my team though.

'Fraid not. No more Super Training. You have to raise EV's the old, slightly confusing way. That's Game Freak for you. Two steps forward, one baffling step back.

Anyway, I'm about to go to the fourth Island, still have only 4 Pokemon on my team. Would have been 5 but Oranguru, who I was planning on using, is Moon exclusive. Figures...

My team ranges from Lv 44 to 46, breezing through this so far, like pretty much every Pokemon game really.

Those twists were so bloody obvious, it was kinda funny.

"What!? Aether Foundation are actually the villains? NO! You mean that totally suspicious, clearly hiding something, group, were totally suspicious and were hiding something!?"

"Those three are all related!? Say it isn't so!?"

Well, at least they're trying to inject a story"

There was one particular moment after Lusamine (Spelling?) was thrashed by my team. She reveals her evil plan, then the camera switches between Gladion, Lillie and Hau who all have worried/frustrated looks on their faces.

Then cut to me, and once again, I've got a big massive dopey smile! Scene ruined.

What were they thinking? Would it be hard to apply some expressions to the main trainers face? They do such a good job with every other character! It's really funny!

Edited by Glen-i

What is the position about using EXP Share? Do people tend to use it or just train the "traditional" way.

In my opinion, EXP Share = Easy mode and hence takes some of the challenge with the games away. It's alright for postgame where you are just trying to fill the Pokédex but aside from that I wouldn't use it.

During my playthrough I decided to play without the EXP. Share and also choose to play on Set.

Under these stipulations your team will usually be around the same level as the main trainers throughout the game, maybe a bit higher levelled than most wild Pokemon and trainers but they are often levelled around the same as the Kahuna and Totem battles. I actually found myself underlevelled by the time the third Kahuna fight came around. I'm going to change both after the game is beaten though.

Currently reached the fourth island, used my Rare Candies to bring my Pikachu up to Level 42 so he could learn Thunderbolt and finally allow me to use my Thunderstone. Also got the Z-Crystal for Alolan Raichu so that's gone on him now.

Kaepora/Decidueye Lv.40 (Synthesis, Razor Leaf, Spirit Shackle, Pluck)

Mickey/Raichu Lv.42 (Thunderbolt, Nasty Plot, Psychic, Grass Knot)

Oki/Lycanroc Lv.40 (Stealth Rock, Rock Slide, Crunch, Roar)

Biolizard/Salazzle Lv.41 (Flame Burst, Toxic, Hidden Power, Venoshock)

Tediz/Bewear Lv.40 (Aerial Ace, Hammer Arm, Bulldoze, Brutal Swing)

Blue Tektite/Araquanid Lv.39 (Blizzard, Poison Jab, Leech Life, Scald)

Finally have Dragon type coverage on this team with Blizzard on Araquanid but really need one that isn't so inaccurate so will look to replace it with Ice Beam later on. I hear Salazzle also gets Dragon Pulse so that will replace Hidden Power when it learns it.

Yeah, Lusamine being Lillie's mother was very obvious and Gladion also being related also wasn't too surprising all things considered. The only thing I was surprised about was that Team Skull was actually working with the Aether Foundation all along and helping them with their experiments, I thought after Po Town they would give way to Aether and you wouldn't have to deal with them again, but nope, they had to incorporate them into the much grander plan proposed by the real villains.

Also I thought Bewear being Lusamine's signature Pokemon was the perfect choice for her, a Pokemon that appears very friendly on the outside but is actually very dangerous. I also liked that she actually switches Pokemon to try and get the type advantage against you, made the fight a bit more interesting. I had my Salazzle out against her Clefable but she withdrew it for the Mismagius who knew Power Gem, which was pretty clever.