NEurope
Daft

Pokémon Sun/Moon

catastropikalla0l.gif

Am I the only one thinking that picking up your Pokemon and lobbing them has got to be against the rules somehow?

It is really funny though, even if they blatantly ripped off Tokyo Mirage Sessions. @Dcubed should remember why I say that.

I can't help but think those Z-moves won't really get used though, because Pikachu without Light Ball is useless and the idea of an Eevee lasting 2 turns in a battle with no item to back it up is laughable. But you know, Gen 1 needs more attention...

Game Freak, you have over 570 other Pokemon to fall back on.

DIVERSIFY, DAMN IT!

I personally like how the Pikachu Z Move dance is part of the Pikachu Dance

iXenj1n.gif

Every one knows Gold and Silver were best.

Best at having terrible difficulty, a horrible level curve, endless grinding, an incredibly short first region to allow for an incredibly empty second region.

Meh

Edited by Serebii

Best at having terrible difficulty, a horrible level curve, endless grinding, an incredibly short first region to allow for an incredibly empty second region.

Meh

For the authority on Pokemon your opinion sure is shit ;) (mad bantz)

Honestly, I think if Gold and Silver came out today, it wouldn't be as well revered as it is, but it was the perfect sequel game to the original. At a younger age, it didn't feel so empty, I loved the Johto region and when you wind up in Kanto in the post-game, it blew my god damn mind as a kind.

What I don't understand is your accusation of it having a horrible level curve, I never needed to grind, not even as a kid. What I did need to grind in though was fucking Black and White's post game (sequels had the same issue but not as bad).

For the authority on Pokemon your opinion sure is shit ;) (mad bantz)

Honestly, I think if Gold and Silver came out today, it wouldn't be as well revered as it is, but it was the perfect sequel game to the original. At a younger age, it didn't feel so empty, I loved the Johto region and when you wind up in Kanto in the post-game, it blew my god damn mind as a kind.

What I don't understand is your accusation of it having a horrible level curve, I never needed to grind, not even as a kid. What I did need to grind in though was fucking Black and White's post game (sequels had the same issue but not as bad).

The level curve was horrible on the other end of the spectrum. Not it going up too fast, but it not going up at all. The Elite Four weren't even Level 50...

The level curve was horrible on the other end of the spectrum. Not it going up too fast, but it not going up at all. The Elite Four weren't even Level 50...

I always assumed because they were essentially halfway through the game, as you had the second region after that.

As someone who is going from RBY to SM, I'm perfectly happy with this focus on Gen 1 Pokémon.

I always assumed because they were essentially halfway through the game, as you had the second region after that.

Exactly my point. The regions were condensed and shorter than usual to accommodate it

Serebii's right on the money with G/S. I played through Crystal a while back and just stopped at Mt. Silver.

For the average bloke who would train up a team of 6 Pokemon pretty evenly, the sudden jump between Blue's Pokemon and Red's Pokemon is absolutely ludicrous! It's almost 20 levels of a jump and it's not exactly a rubbish team he's got. And training up in G/S is agonising, what with the rubbish elite 4 being the only readily available source of EXP.

G/S might be a better put together game then R/B, but at least training up to finish the game isn't as excruciating.

Oh, we're talking about the level ramp between facing Blue and facing Red? Oh jeez, really?

I always considered Red as like the super boss of the game and the jump was to be expected. Back in the day when they had no such thing as battle facilities (which didn't happen until Crystal), what else could they do? They only had one set of AI back then, which was so easily abused it was incredibly amusing.

Oh, we're talking about the level ramp between facing Blue and facing Red? Oh jeez, really?

I always considered Red as like the super boss of the game and the jump was to be expected. Back in the day when they had no such thing as battle facilities (which didn't happen until Crystal), what else could they do? They only had one set of AI back then, which was so easily abused it was incredibly amusing.

I'm not. I'm talking about the progression in the game

Serebii's right on the money with G/S. I played through Crystal a while back and just stopped at Mt. Silver.

For the average bloke who would train up a team of 6 Pokemon pretty evenly, the sudden jump between Blue's Pokemon and Red's Pokemon is absolutely ludicrous! It's almost 20 levels of a jump and it's not exactly a rubbish team he's got. And training up in G/S is agonising, what with the rubbish elite 4 being the only readily available source of EXP.

G/S might be a better put together game then R/B, but at least training up to finish the game isn't as excruciating.

I'll add my own two cents to this. When I started playing Pokemon I didn't really train up a team of 6, rather my own style was to power through the game with one or two Pokemon that were much higher levelled than what I was facing and I was more focused on catching Pokemon for the Pokedex than trying to build a strong balance team. As a result, my levels for my Feraligatr and Ampharos who were pretty much my two go to Pokemon were not that far off Red's team by the time I got to Mt. Silver (it was a long time ago so I can't remember what they exactly were and my copy of Gold I no longer have), it was a bit more bearable doing it this way so I had no idea how much grinding was really needed to take on Red if you had a full team of 6.

However, recently I got HeartGold and did a playthrough of that game, with the idea of the game effectively replacing Gold in my game collection and I decided to evoke my original playthrough of the game by picking Totodile and catching a Mareep to go alongside it, except this time I developed that further into a full team of 6. I know for sure that one of my backup Pokemon in Gold was a Piloswine because I used it in linked battles as my third choice if Feraligatr and Ampharos both went down, so I took that a step further this time around and trained the Swinub I got into a fully fledged Mamoswine, the other three Pokemon were Jumpluff, Togekiss and Hitmontop.

I tried to avoid grinding when I didn't need to but I ended up having to mass level grind at Mt. Silver before even attempting Red because I knew that I would have to be facing a team of Level 80+ Pokemon and my team were only in their late 50s at the time. The remakes make the grinding a bit more bearable by giving you an extra double battle against Clair and Lance as well as a rematchable rival and a higher levelled version of the Elite Four which includes newer Pokemon, capping out at a Level 75 Dragonite for Lance. Still, even with the added challenges it still took me forever to grind to a more respectable level to take on Red and even then I was at a massive level disadvantage.

Con_O2NXYAAnORj.jpg:large

This was my team when I took on Red (sorry for the bad quality image, it's a phone camera capture as I don't have any way of screenshotting DS games). Feraligatr has Waterfall, Crunch, Surf and Ice Fang, Ampharos has Rock Climb (needed it for Mt. Silver), Signal Beam, Thunderbolt and Power Gem, Jumpluff had Leech Seed at the time although I replaced it with Stun Spore, but it definately had Giga Drain, Aerial Ace and U-Turn, Togekiss had Air Slash (of course, it's a SG Togekiss), Fly, Extrasensory and Flamethrower, Mamoswine had Avalanche, Return, Ice Shard and Earthquake while Hitmontop had Revenge, Rock Slide, Fake Out and Close Combat.

Overall though I would have to say that while Gold/Silver were my favourite games for a long time, their remakes completely blow the old games out of the water and even then I would put the Gen 5 games on an equal/better pedestal than HGSS.

Can someone pls @ me when the demo hits.

I was about to ask what the fuck are you talking about, but I completely forgot about the Korean rating board spilling the beans that a demo might be coming out

Can someone pls @ me when the demo hits.

It'll probably be announced in the next info dump

For those complaining about the jump from Blue to Red in GSC, do remember that by this point, you would have access to trading from other games. By that point at the very end, the game would have expected you to trade your previous mons over and have done high level trading with other GSC players.

The difficulty spike is also part of what makes the fight so memorable. If you could steamroll him after breezing through everyone else, you wouldn't remember him so fondly. It's like with Whitney's Miltank, everyone remembers it fondly because it was such a huge difficulty spike for that part of the game.

Difficulty spikes are not necessarily bad, they can make a game more unpredictable and memorable. Hell, Metroid Prime was a game that was intentionally designed to have difficulty spikes and that's part of what made it such a memorable and fun experience.

Why would anyone argue about difficulty in a Pokemon game? The difficulty is telling you to train your Pokemon a little harder or capture new ones, to basically, you know... play the game more. These days you can mindlessly storm through the main game, with gym leaders using potions TWICE to fool the player into thinking the battle was hard.

Lets be honest here, Pokemon games (getting through the main game) are dead easy.

Lets be honest here, Pokemon games (getting through the main game) are dead easy.

Well yeah, I don't go to Pokemon for difficulty. I'm just saying that the prospect of grinding 15 levels just so I can beat Crystal is unbearable these days.

If I ever wanted difficulty from a Pokemon game, I would go to the Mystery Dungeon games. Those put manly Pokemon hairs on your chest.

Yeah, Pokemon games have never been really difficult. Despite the fact that the game encourages you to build a balanced team you can breeze through every game with just one overlevelled Pokemon. Or six if you're playing Gen 6 (and possibly 7 because they may leave the Exp. Share as a Key Item).

New news tomorrow. According to a certain Chinese riddler it is supposedly going to reveal an aspect of the Z-Ring that we don't know about yet and that the "全" symbol is the key.

Could Z-Forms actually be a thing?

Yeah, Pokemon games have never been really difficult. Despite the fact that the game encourages you to build a balanced team you can breeze through every game with just one overlevelled Pokemon. Or six if you're playing Gen 6 (and possibly 7 because they may leave the Exp. Share as a Key Item).

New news tomorrow. According to a certain Chinese riddler it is supposedly going to reveal an aspect of the Z-Ring that we don't know about yet and that the "全" symbol is the key.

Could Z-Forms actually be a thing?

No :p