NEurope
Daft

Pokémon Sun/Moon

Not too excited about Rattata 7.0, Pidgey 7.0 (must be the one that was shown in the very first teaser?) and Caterpie 7.0. Battle Royal however looks fun, I hope they make it a bit more prominent than all the other "special" battle styles (like inverse battles and rotation battles).

Not too excited about Rattata 7.0, Pidgey 7.0 (must be the one that was shown in the very first teaser?) and Caterpie 7.0. Battle Royal however looks fun, I hope they make it a bit more prominent than all the other "special" battle styles (like inverse battles and rotation battles).

Ck7Uv0FWEAAbZ_B.jpg

Nature's out of ideas :p

Why does that stoat have Donald Trump's hair?

Why does that stoat have Donald Trump's hair?

Yeeeahhh... The internet kinda noticed, and you know how crazy Pokemon fans are with fanart...

tumblr_o8ruz16OqX1rbpsfwo1_500.jpg

I'm sure Yungoos wants to make Alola great again.

I mean. Brilliant.

Looks good, but the shenanigans was all a bit boring. Would have preferred some more interesting Mon' were revealed.

Glad for the completely free movement though. Looks a bit more bold and dynamic than XY too.

Just really want to get away from this style, but I'm still satisfied and will get it/them.

I mean. Brilliant.

Looks good, but the shenanigans was all a bit boring. Would have preferred some more interesting Mon' were revealed.

Glad for the completely free movement though. Looks a bit more bold and dynamic than XY too.

Just really want to get away from this style, but I'm still satisfied and will get it/them.

But this is the first time with this style?

But this is the first time with this style?

XY and this look pretty identical to me. I essentially mean, I'm looking forward to a main series Pokemon game where we can say "Wow the graphics are awesome!" (e.g. Pokken).

XY and this look pretty identical to me. I essentially mean, I'm looking forward to a main series Pokemon game where we can say "Wow the graphics are awesome!" (e.g. Pokken).

They're actually very different in visual style.

Sun%20Moon_zpslvlotcvi.jpg

I personally don't think these look very different, but it's cool. I don't hate it.

Well the battles aren't gonna look much different because they are re-using the same 3D models and they're using the same flat, cel-shading rendering style.

The non battle gameplay does look very different though.

Well they did make the models to futureproof. That's why they're so high-poly that it slows the 3DS down when too many are on screen

Well they did make the models to futureproof. That's why they're so high-poly that it slows the 3DS down when too many are on screen

They probably will end up reusing them in the Gen 8 games on NX (maybe touched up, but I doubt they'll start them all over from scratch. Wouldn't be the first time they've done this either, Pokemon Colloseum/XD reused all the same models and animations from the N64 Pokemon Stadiums for the older mons, so it's not without precedent), but they might use a different rendering style, so they might not end up looking the same there.

Who knows? Either way, the out of battle gameplay does look markedly different here (and a real step up from Gen 6!)

They probably will end up reusing them in the Gen 8 games on NX (maybe touched up, but I doubt they'll start them all over from scratch. Wouldn't be the first time they've done this either, Pokemon Colloseum/XD reused all the same models and animations from the N64 Pokemon Stadiums for the older mons, so it's not without precedent), but they might use a different rendering style, so they might not end up looking the same there.

Who knows? Either way, the out of battle gameplay does look markedly different here (and a real step up from Gen 6!)

Just depends if they will go for a style away for Sugimori. I don't think they will though.

It's really not that different between Gen 4 & 5. Compare these Charizard sprites

006.png006-m.png

One is from Gen 4, the other is from Gen 5. Guess which is which?

People have been pushing this "This is Gen 6.5" bullshit again due to how the battles look, but there's only a finite amount you can do on the same hardware.

These models are futureproofed. A basic model such as Machamp has over 12,000 polygons.

CetCrlG.png

That's equivalent to character models from PS3/Wii U games.

They have used these models in Pokédex 3D Pro, PokéPark 2, trimmed down versions in Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, Detective Pikachu. Even Pokkén's Support Pokémon use the same models but different textures. They're the standard now. They made them so their development partners don't need to waste time developing models for the Pokémon (unless they need them to do crazy shit such as the Pokkén playable characters)

There is zero doubt that they're going to use these in Gen 7 spin-off games (come on PokéPark NX), Gen 8 and beyond.

That said, the battles do look decidedly different between Gen VI and Gen VII

Gen 6

4ic8q4D.jpg

Gen 7

zBg7PRD.jpg

They removed the circle around each Pokémon. They've added trainers into the trainer battles. The backgrounds are more dynamic. The camera work is more dynamic. The battle animations are more unique.

They took the development time that would have been spent making Pokémon models and focused it on this, and it is glorious.

Trick question, they're both Gen 4.

Gen 5 Charizard moooooves!

charizard.gif

It's the one on the left though.

Got round to watching the Treehouse footage properly, and I'm really liking the general aesthetics. The changes are subtle, I hadn't even noticed the circles were gone, but there is an improvement over X&Y.

Stuff like having a shortcut to use Pokeballs (or is it the last item used?) during battle on a button, or being able to view stat changes are looks like active abilities?

Not a fan of being told which moves are effective, hoping that can be turned off for competitive battles. Was super fun when people weren't used to the new typings and people where using dragon type moves against Azumarill.

Getting a 3D model of trainers after battles is a nice touch as well. Looking forward to seeing the different reactions when you beat them.

Hopefully the battles run better or the games are New 3DS enhanced since they are adding more detail and models to the battles.

People have been pushing this "This is Gen 6.5" bullshit again due to how the battles look, but there's only a finite amount you can do on the same hardware.

Seriously?

3769718-7248357762-13659.jpg

Fair play that does look pretty different actually.

It's the subtle differences that make it.

I still reckon that the trainers are on the field due to this

1IPppc3.gif

Regardless, having trainers on the field has caused them to properly adjust the scale (somewhat. Zygarde Complete Forme seems smaller than it should be. It's meant to be 4.5m, but for all we know it could be including the tail in that as it sometimes does)

g3nrVEv.jpg

I still reckon that the trainers are on the field due to this

1IPppc3.gif

The thought of that still makes me cringe every time it's mentioned..

To be fair, it's mostly because that particular example makes Greninja way lamer.

Then again, Ash would no doubt have the same effect on any Pokemon.

Regardless, having trainers on the field has caused them to properly adjust the scale (somewhat. Zygarde Complete Forme seems smaller than it should be. It's meant to be 4.5m, but for all we know it could be including the tail in that as it sometimes does)

g3nrVEv.jpg

I do hope this gets addressed though. It's always disappointing seeing my miniature Groudon, especially after Colloseum/XD/Battle Revolution.

440px-Pokemon-battle_rev_shots.jpg

You can see a trainer here if you look hard enough.

maxresdefault.jpg

Latios is small, but the Groudon out there is far... no wait, it's also small.

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

What are they gonna do with Wailord?!

34db8d3c14a660f12c29c8dd7bb48465.jpg

And this is why Pokémon don't follow you anymore :p With sprites you could suspend disbelief because they weren't trying scale. Here, though...

I question if the parenthesis was needed given most of the post was within it ;)

(Not that there's anything wrong with over enthusiastic bracketing.)

(well there is after you find out the term 'bracket' derives from Henry VII's excessively large codpiece and parentheses are ruined forever)