NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Pokémon's 20th Anniversary

So, Pokémon turns 20 this upcoming Saturday (February 27th 2016). Crazy how fast time has gone.

Please share your favourite Pokémon memories, proudest moments, favourite music, favourite movies (or likewise, least favourite), etc, in this thread! How long have you been playing Pokémon? How did you find out about it?

Where do you think it will go in the future?

Please feel free to share Pokémon related highlights of yours in this thread - and happy 20th Anniversary Pokémon!

Weirdly, I think my love of Pokemon evolved independently from my love of Nintendo. Despite my love for Nintendo I can't remember ever seeing Pokemon as being part of Nintendo when I was younger, it was always just its own separate phenomenon. Friends of mine who hated Nintendo, loved playing Pokemon and they watched the TV show and collected the trading cards.

I don't remember how I got into Pokemon, but I think it was the cartoon that first got me hooked. Then my Auntie went on holiday to America and my brother asked her to buy him Pokemon Yellow while she was over there. My brother played it constantly for weeks and in the brief moments that I got to play it, I loved it.

One of my favourite memories is going to see Pokemon The Movie 2000 with my friend Nat the day it came out. We were so excited to see it and get our hands on the free Ancient Mew card that we got when we bought our tickets. It's still one of the best experiences I've had in a cinema, just everything about that day was wonderful.

In terms of the games, Pokemon Silver encompasses cmy love for Pokemon, I played it to death and I still have the original cartridge but the battery has long since died, taking with it all of my Pokemon but at least I still have the memories of the hundreds of hours I spent in Johto and Kanto.

I remember in year 4 and having an obscure Game Boy magazine that had a huge 10 page feature on Pokemon Red/Blue. All the screenshots were in Japanese and I don't even think at that point it had a UK release but I was smitten. I used to read that article every single day as Pokemon just sounded like the best thing ever. A time later, one of the kids in year 6 managed to get a copy when he went to America on holiday and I remember watching him play it in awe. It was if he was holding the holy grail!

When I finally got the game and the anime started airing over here, Pokemon took over my life. I was full on obsessed. If I wasn't playing it or watching it, I was drawing Pokemon or designing new ones, going to Pokemon club at the local town hall with my friends or arguing over fair card trades.

My best/worst time was when I came up with the idea of 'starting a new game' to get the starters, sending them to my friend but not saving so my 80+ hours wouldn't be deleted. Of course, it saves the game when you did a link cable trade which I hadn't realised and lost everything. Had to start all over again but it meant I finally got to 150 and found out the hard way that all you got was a crappy 'certificate' and not Mew!!

what did everyone do for the 20th Anniversary?

I went to work, and whilst on my lunch break went to GAME (which was of course packed). Picked up download codes for RBY VC, the Mewtwo and Pikachu amiibo, and asked for a Mew code (the guy was kind enough to give me a code for both my OR and X games). Had a great chat with the cashier whilst transactions were taking place, and he let me know that they were already taking £5 deposits for pre-orders of Sun and Moon. Great to meet some fellow fans!

I spent the day playing Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon. Unlike you bunch of mainstream posers!

tumblr_npunrbV6Wc1t6yrhoo1_500.gif

I bought my first ever main series Pokémon game.

Really?! One of the VC downloads of RBY?

I streamed Pokémon Green on twitch :D

I saw, great job Serebii, I really enjoyed it!

I think you should really consider doing it more often, well done :)

I spent the day playing Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon. Unlike you bunch of mainstream posers!

tumblr_npunrbV6Wc1t6yrhoo1_500.gif

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon.

PSMD.

SM.

S&M.

Sun & Moon.

Really?! One of the VC downloads of RBY?

Yes. I played Blue when I was 11 but it wasn't my copy. I didn't like it.

Yes. I played Blue when I was 11 but it wasn't my copy. I didn't like it.

Did you get Blue this time?

Did you get Blue this time?

No, went with Yellow. I've been playing it most of the day.

Greatest moments? Too many to state...

But I loved the hard struggle of walking up to the final Elite 4 member with a fucked up team where 2 are ko'ed and the rest are in the yellows and reds with no potions and revives... Good times.

Loved having my pikachu follow me in Yellow and finally having colour.

But XY gave me a great buzz and it was good to see it as we've always kind of imagined. (I actually had a motorbike crash on the morning my Y was delivered... Went back home with the perfect excuse to stay in all weekend and play uninterrupted!)

I played tons of Super Mystery Dungeon, posted on Miiverse about my progress in Pokémon Picross, and finished the day by finally watching the Hoopa movie. It's been great! :D

(And now I'm suffering from a stomachache cause I ate far too much while watching the Hoopa movie. Oh well...)

No, went with Yellow. I've been playing it most of the day.

That's great! Are you enjoying it?

So many amazing memories with my Blastoise in Blue version, having Pikachu following me in Yellow version. Then I probably spent 2 years plus on Silver version and breeding a team of eevee with all eeveelutions. Also that epic battle with Red at Silver Mountain.

Is there no 'General Pokémon thread'? I think there should be :p But I'm too scared to make it so this is the best fit.

As a huge KPop fan, my worlds collided recently as love of my life Jung Joon Young, amazing ballad singer and more recently rock artist in 'JJY Band', sang the theme for the latest Pokémon film in Korea. This guy is awesome, so either this is a massive scoop or the Pokémon anime is massive in Korea, either way, it was a bizarre cross-over of worlds for me.

The song itself is pretty good (but his mega deep voice could make anything sound heavenly), though the video is very jarring, as I've only ever known him to be a sullen ballad singer, so his over the top singing stances seem... odd. Either way, I love that JJY and Pikachu are dancing in a studio together, it's like some weird day-dream come true.

I wanna catch him in a Pokéball :love: //creep

Edited by Josh64

My most remembered Pokemon moment is playing through Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness. In particular, one moment around 2 thirds of the way in where the big twist hits home.

I couldn't believe such a good plot was coming from a Pokemon spin-off game. I was actually jaw dropped for a moment.

(Best thing was, it's foreshadowed beautifully)

I decided to start watching the anime again to mark the anniversary, I'd forgotten how how Officer Jenny was! Just watching a few episodes got me hooked all over again, so I've been watching it quite a bit. Alongside playing Pokemon Blue on VC I feel like i'm 11 years old again!

Quite a lot of StreetPass groups are doing Pokemon themed events in the coming weeks. A lot are listed here. Many of them are having a Pokken tournament, where the winners will compete against other StreetPass group winners to be crowned overall champion.

^^ He got them #ShinyCharizardForLife

I like his realness - Most MCs get carried away with being hard, but JME adds quiet a few gaming references in his lyrics.

Sign in to follow this