NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Yokai Watch ( 29th April )

The battles are what I don't get on with in this series. It's a shame as I normally like these sorts of games, but the battle system is just yergh

Seems like a mix of Pokémon's triple and rotation battles. I thought it was turned based but it seems they just attack on their own. Am I supposed to just wait for the meter to build and use the special attacks straight away or what? Also had no idea what their specials are or do. It might just because the demo throws you straight into the deep end.

Oh, forgot to mention, I appreciate that they localised the currency as GBP.

The battles are what I don't get on with in this series. It's a shame as I normally like these sorts of games, but the battle system is just yergh

I have to agree a bit here.

When I first saw a trailer, the lack of control over what the Yokai do immediately set off alarm bells.

After playing the demo, the battles are... better than what I was worried it would be.

It's still not great, I hate having such little control, and that's a shame, because this game has a lot of charm and the actual concept of rotating Yokai on the fly to get rid of status conditions, etc. is actually pretty cool.

Just playing the demo now (a bit late I know), it's pretty charming! Lots of nice little touches, like your character taking their shows on and off when going into a house, or being able to press buttons on traffic lights. Graphics are superb as well, MUCH better than X&Y/ORAS and it's just a very polished game overall; I also appreciate the fact that the entire game is playable with just the stylus (Animal Crossing Wild World style!) and it works very well playing it that way :)

The battle system does indeed remind me of Ogre Battle, in that you're more of an overseer than an active participant and I actually quite like that. It's really neat to have a more traditional JRPG where you're more of a grand strategist than a participant!

That being said... It doesn't seem like there's much depth to it. It does seem to basically boil down to pre-preparation and properly completing a few microgames scattered throughout the battles. I would hope that more comes into play later on in the game, but the battles do seem very basic...

It does seem like a fun little game, even if it's not gonna win any awards for its gameplay depth. I can't imagine much of a competitive scene developing around it, but it seems like a good time all round :)

Yo-kai Watch 2 is out in the US 30th September.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Yo-kai phenomenon continues in 2016. The U.S. has seen the launches of the YO-KAI WATCH video game for Nintendo 3DS, a line of Hasbro toys and games, a top-rated animated series that airs on Disney XD and the mobile game sensation YO-KAI WATCH Wibble Wobble all in the last six months. The world of Yo-kai continues to grow as new video games, toys and shows make their way stateside this year.

“We’re excited to continue bringing fun Yo-kai experiences stateside this year.”

All things Yo-kai continue on Sept. 30 when YO-KAI WATCH 2 launches in the U.S. exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Already a huge hit in Japan, the sequel to the first smash hit, which is once again developed by LEVEL-5, offers the same deep RPG gameplay and wacky adventures as the first game. The new adventure also offers many new areas to explore outside of Springdale, more than 100 new Yo-kai, a new-and-improved in-game Yo-kai Watch and even the ability to travel back in time! YO-KAI WATCH 2 will also launch with two versions, YO-KAI WATCH 2: Bony Spirits and YO-KAI WATCH 2: Fleshy Souls, each featuring rare Yo-kai that can only be found in their respective games.

“After being such a massive sensation in Japan, it’s great to see the U.S. start to embrace the mischievous and lovable Yo-kai,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. “We’re excited to continue bringing fun Yo-kai experiences stateside this year.”

To expand the Yo-kai brand, Hasbro will add new items to its YO-KAI WATCH line this fall. New toys include the YO-KAI WATCH MODEL ZERO, designed to look like the watch worn by Nate in Season 2 of the animated series. The watch includes YO-MOTION TECHNOLOGY that brings Yo-kai characters to life in a new way. Fans can insert a YO-MOTION YO-KAI MEDAL into the watch and see a projected animation of that character. Hasbro will also release a new series of collectible YO-MOTION YO-KAI MEDALS, which are compatible with the new watch, as well as custom YO-KAI WATCH accessories, large plush toys and electronic figures. Additionally, fans will be able to collect and trade their favorite YO-KAI WATCH characters in a new way with the YO-KAI WATCH Trading Card Game.

Disney XD has acquired a second season of the YO-KAI WATCH animated TV show, which will premiere this summer. This season, join Nate, Whisper and Jibanyan as they get the new Yo-kai Watch Model Zero. But just because he has a new watch, that doesn’t mean Nate’s life will get any easier. Season 2 has more Yo-kai, more miniseries, more episodes and, most importantly, more laughs! Tune in to see how a new cast of Yo-kai interrupts Nate’s normal life in unexpected and hilarious ways. Fans who missed the first season can catch up before the second season starts by picking up the DVD of YO-KAI WATCH – Season 1 in stores late 2016 or by streaming the show on Netflix now. Fans can also catch the YO-KAI WATCH manga series from VIZ Media (Volume 5 debuts this month).

Finally, all of your favorite Yo-kai have wobbled into a hit mobile app called YO-KAI WATCH Wibble Wobble. This Top Ten app on the iTunes store brings the fun of Yo-kai characters into smart devices with a puzzle-game twist. With new events coming monthly, this game will continue to grow bigger and better.

The original YO-KAI WATCH video game introduced people in the U.S. to the mysterious Yo-kai. In Japan, these invisible beings – not ghosts or spirits… just Yo-kai! – are steeped in folklore and based on common concerns that everyday citizens have. If a child misplaces homework or an adult can’t stop babbling at a work meeting, for instance, it’s probably the work of a troublesome Yo-kai.

Seems like a quick turn around, or is it because we got the first one so late?

YO-KAI WATCH® 2: Bony Spirits and YO-KAI WATCH 2®: Fleshy Souls: The next big entries in the YO-KAI WATCH® series for Nintendo 3DS family systems are coming to Europe in spring 2017. Telling the story of the origin of the Yo-kai Watch, the games include an even greater variety of Yo-kai, improved strategy elements and a new multiplayer mode. Up to four players with their own systems and games can team up in a co-op mode to earn rewards that can be used in the single-player adventure.

Won't be surprised if this sells badly since Spring is probably the end of the 3DS' lifespan.

*uses nasty medicine on thread*

Picked this up recently and flew through it in 22h on the dot. A very good game with spades of charm that I barely scratched the surface of over the course of the main game. There's tons left to do in the form of yo-kai collecting (I got about 40 of over 200), quests (I maybe did a dozen...) and a postgame that, realistically, I don't see myself getting around to. 

For about 18 of those 22 hours, it lured me into a false sense of security as I hardly resorted to using items and equips were little more than an afterthought. In the early running, I stopped off a few times to do some levelling (mainly to get to grips with the flow of battles) and those gains stood me in good stead for quite some time. Until what was the final run of three bosses, actually. That's when it spiked for me. I ended up using all my exp orbs and had to put in some time levelling on top of that to see it out. The last battle of the three took the fewest retries, and after changing out some equips, I was able to get it over the line.

I have some gripes that would likely be footnotes and distant memories if I was sticking with it for the long haul of the postgame. I would have liked fast travel sooner, fast battling sooner, a more zoomed-out camera because those streets were all so samey. I see what they were going for with making you expose bosses' weak points, but it needs some streamlining, imo. And as brisk a game as it is, there were quite a few times when it ground to a halt to send me off on fetch quests—main offender here was every time it forced me to rank up the watch! 

Bosses took more and more time as the game went on but that could have been down to me not being clued up on item usage and not swapping in high-rank yo-kai as I got em (or even trying to seek any out). Generally speaking in battle, I just watched to make sure I was healing quicker than I was being damaged and unleashed soultimate attacks as they became available. 

Notwithstanding any of that, I've had an overall positive time with Yo-kai Watch. :) By and large, it was right up my alley. Had I got it a time when I was going to put in the hours, I could see it stretching out beyond the credits now and becoming a game I think back on very fondly indeed. 

Shall try not to leave it too long before I get into the second. Looking forward to seeing how they fine-tuned it.

• Thanks 1

I honestly regret not buying YoKai 3 before the shop shut down. Bought the first two when Argos was dumping their 3DS stock so i got them stupidly cheap. Still haven't really played them seriously though.

Sign in to follow this