NEurope
Dog-amoto

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (December 2017)

Yes we can

Given last line of how the Jedi need to end, i'm now fearing that Luke is Snoke, the poster makes him look like he is the big bad guy

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but something's certainly happened to send him down this path. From reading other canon material, it is made somewhat apparent that the reason Ben turned and took the dark path in becoming Kylo Ren isn't solely because of his grandfather being Vader (though finding out during something of a Galaxy-wide scandle where everyone found out due to politics likely had something to do with him being tipped over the edge) and he and Luke had been off training and, more importantly, studying the Jedi of old, with Lor San Tekka (introduced and swiftly killed at the beginning of TFA), only six years before TFA. It's alluded to - but not confirmed, as treated as something off a myth - that Luke might have left on this quest as soon as the end of the celebrations on Endor at the end of ROTJ, and may not have even been present for the birth of his nephew.

I think Luke - and Ben/Kylo - found something during their quest (hence why Luke is at the first Jedi Temple on Ahch-To) that acted as a catalyst for Luke abandoning the Jedi Order and Ben becoming Kylo and - supposedly - destroying his uncle's academy.

Sounds to me like Luke wants the Jedi to end so that there can be no more Sith as well. Makes sense really, most Sith are former Jedi

It could be that he intends for the Sith and Jedi orders to end and them to reunite as the original Jedii/Whylls who wielded both dark and light sides and kept the balance within themselves

It's obviously about forming an order that embraces both sides, and Rey is a descendant of Bastila Shan and Revan.

Sounds to me like Luke wants the Jedi to end so that there can be no more Sith as well. Makes sense really, most Sith are former Jedi

Let's remember that the Prophecy of the Chosen One states that they will bring balance to the Force and destroy the Sith. Snoke, Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren are not Sith, just followers/users of the Dark Side. As for most Sith being Jedi, I believe that Anakin is the only Jedi-turned-Sith that we currently know of.

I've been talking with friends for a long time about where this trilogy is likely going, and most of us agreed that the Jedi will likely become defunct, with Luke serving as the Jedi. The Jedi and the Sith are something of a Ying-Yang situation, and the mere existence of the Jedi invites challenge - whether it be the Sith or another Dark Side faction - which erupts into a battle which effects the entire galaxy. I don't think it is simply a matter of merging both sides (as stated in the trailer, calling them "Light" and "Dark" is completely subjective: the galaxy and Force is much more complex than than, yet so much more simple. The "Light" and "Dark" are two "sides" of the same Force, yet one limits their ability in embracing only one) as destroying the Sith, in the Prophecy, to bring Balance means that the Force has a disposition towards the Light.

Edited by Julius Caesar

I think it's definitely a logical conclusion that this trilogy will lead to the dissolution of the Jedi & the Sith but it wouldn't be a very good commercial decision for the series going forward.

And wasn't Dooku another Jedi who turned Sith? I've only watched the main films so I'm not aware of the finer points but Episode II is pretty clear about that fact.

I think it's definitely a logical conclusion that this trilogy will lead to the dissolution of the Jedi & the Sith but it wouldn't be a very good commercial decision for the series going forward.

And wasn't Dooku another Jedi who turned Sith? I've only watched the main films so I'm not aware of the finer points but Episode II is pretty clear about that fact.

Yes, he is (my bad!) though it's worth noting that his case is different to Anakin's in that he left the Jedi Order long before becoming a Sith Lord (it wasn't a classic case of thinking the Jedi were evil and moving along to the other side as Anakin did). He's part of a group called the "Lost Twenty" (those of whom left the Order but didn't necessarily turn).

As for the move away from Jedi not being a good commercial decision, I think there are a ways of looking at it. In Legends (the old, now defunct and decanonised, expanded universe) Luke's Jedi Order was simply named the "New Jedi Order". Something like this is possible, though I think that would be even more jarring than letting the Jedi name go completely.

Other possible avenues for naming goes well back to Lucas' early days of working on Star Wars - before it was even called Star Wars - when the Jedi were known as Bendu Knights, and it's worth noting that the name "Bendu" was recently reintroduced into canon by calling a Force entity Bendu in Star Wars Rebels (voiced by Tom Baker), and he was an especially grey character, though different, I believe, to the character Luke will be, not taking sides in any matter acting against the Light or Dark sides.

Finally, a good reason for a name change is that this could pave the way to different eras of the universe using the name Jedi and not being directly synonymous with the new faction likely to rise at the end of the sequel trilogy. For example, films, comics, books and TV shows have long been talked about by fans as a desirable - and, from Disney's point of view, a highly profitable - way of presenting the Old Republic era (like the series of games with the same name), and if they were to have such an era focused on before the release of the next trilogy, it wouldnt confuse casual fans of the franchise with the Jedi also being seen in the upcoming trilogy.

I've watched the teaser trailer and am planning to go into the film with no additional of the film at all. No news, trailers, reviews, etc. I LOVE the title "The Last Jedi" and have high hopes of it being a good/great film.

Why is December so far away? :(

That's how I'm interpreting it, too. No Jedi = no Sith = balance restored.

Quite a lot of news - and LEGO minifigures - been leaking over the last few months, but from what I've heard about them there aren't any major revelations involved; I'm avoiding everything but trailers at this point, but with D23 taking place next weekend and a BTS reel expected to drop, I think I'll have to make sure I check it out. 

Star Wars is definitely the only franchise where I care just as much about the creative process as I do the finished product for any form of product they release. 

On 18/04/2017 at 11:02 AM, Fierce_LiNk said:

That's how I'm interpreting it, too. No Jedi = no Sith = balance restored.

Love the simplistic view there Flink! :heh:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ViPeR said:

Love the simplistic view there Flink! :heh:

ViPeR...

giphy.gif

CIA got you pushing too many pencils?

• Like 1

Okay, so there are some fairly serious leaks making the rounds now courtesy of being LEGO sets launching on Force Friday this September. From the sound of things there's enough new stuff in these leaks to assume that this new stuff will turn up in the BTS reel expected this weekend, or a trailer (if we get one) over the summer.

Time to abandon the internet (or at least the Star Wars parts) I guess.

Edited by Julius Caesar

21 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

ViPeR...

giphy.gif

CIA got you pushing too many pencils?

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed. 

1 hour ago, ViPeR said:

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed. 

Iss fromm de oderrr siiiiiiiideeee.

EDIT: Some posters.

19990307_784834088344201_785178235058546

DEzT_aLXoAAPvDq.jpg

DEzWANBUAAAECqb.jpg

DEzpWyHVwAEvRR5.jpg

35c336bad010dcfbda3d42708d8ee8f8963e95bf

3003c30d5e0e86de08fd2e88700173845a73a060

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1

Disney has sent out a press release revealing the official, and extremely intriguing, synopsis for Episode VIII.

In Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Skywalker saga continues as the heroes of The Force Awakens join the galactic legends in an epic adventure that unlocks age-old mysteries of the Force and shocking revelations of the past. Star Wars: The Last Jedi opens in U.S. theaters on December 15, 2017. 

On 23/01/2017 at 7:05 PM, Julius Caesar said:

I love the title for this reason alone. The Force Awakens resulted in an almost unanimous questioning of "well, why was it asleep?".

I don't see when it could've dozed off. There always seems to be someone using the Force at some point. Perhaps they're implying it "Awoke" in Rey, just as it did in Luke, which is no surprise as it's a rip off of A New hope.

Those red cloaked posters where they've filtered it to make them look like they're wearing red clothes but they're actually not look fucking terrible.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY
Julius Caesar made a fine observation

5 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I don't see when it could've dozed off. There always seems to be someone using the Force at some point. Perhaps they're implying it "Awoke" in Rey, just as it did in Luke, which is no surprise as it's a rip off of A New Hope.

Try the 30-year gap between ROTJ and TFA, from everything in the new canon that I've read and seen, which is quite a lot, it seems it was fairly quiet. To be clear, though, it was the Cosmic Force, not the Living, that awoke in TFA, and it more than likely didn't just awake in Rey. Also,  to be clear, the Force didn't "awake" in Luke as it did in Rey; his potential to use it was always there, unblocked, vouched for by his flying prowess, which isn't just made evident in his destroying of the first Death Star. I'm also tired of people saying TFA was a rip-off of ANH, and not because I don't agree there's an overlap in story, but because it nods directly at so much more in the realm of Star Wars films than simply that film alone.

Those red cloaked posters look fucking terrible.

You're entitled to your own opinion, and I'll respect it, of course, but I think it's worth mentioning that those aren't red cloaks, but rather they've been filtered that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

I'm also tired of people saying TFA was a rip-off of ANH, and not because I don't agree there's an overlap in story, but because it nods directly at so much more in the realm of Star Wars films than simply that film alone

Naturally it will nod towards some of the six films that preceded it. It just stole most of its content from Episode IV, except for the ending-ish, which it stole from Return of The Jedi moreso than A New Hope.

You're entitled to your own opinion, and I'll respect it, of course, but I think it's worth mentioning that those aren't red cloaks, but rather they've been filtered that way.

I have edited it to compensate for this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

It just stole most of its content from Episode IV, except for the ending-ish, which it stole from Return of The Jedi moreso than A New Hope.

I disagree with the notion that anything was "stolen", especially given the negative connotation that comes with that word. As someone who's been a fan since before I could even remember being a fan,  and as someone who enjoys the prequels for what they are, all I wanted from The Force Awakens was for the movie-going audience at large to welcome Star Wars back lovingly; instead, I got that and much more, with TFA raising way more questions than it cared to answer, perhaps more so than any other film in the franchise to date. I'm willing to admit that some plot points are clearly derivative of some of those found in A New Hope (there's no denying that), but to summarise a film by generalising it as ripping off another film in the same franchise seems harsh, and means, I feel, that some will not praise TFA's strengths, such as the characters and world-building.

Also, I'd actually liken the ending of The Force Awakens more so to that of Revenge of the Sith than Return of the Jedi: the arrival of a main character at a secluded location offering up something/someone as a symbol of hope for the galaxy at large, as well as the use of Luke Skywalker's theme in both as the entry point to the finale. 

• Like 1

Kylo Ren's new ship has been revealed; as someone avoiding certain sites now, I personally don't mind seeing this as I have no doubt that it'll be used in marketing and have a LEGO set before the film is released, but I will spoiler tag it regardless.

Spoiler

bw9ae7nd4yvqbt9trkwg.gif

Kylo's starfighter is called the TIE Silencer, and, as you may have noticed, clearly draws inspiration from Vader's TIE Advanced x1 prototype (featured in the trench run of the first Death Star in A New Hope) for its fuselage design, and the TIE Interceptor for its wing design.

Isn't there a Tie Silencer in Battlefront? The Rogue One DLC? I don't think you see it though, it's just mentioned.

1 hour ago, bob said:

Isn't there a Tie Silencer in Battlefront? The Rogue One DLC? I don't think you see it though, it's just mentioned.

Do you mean the TIE/sk x1 AKA the TIE Striker?

maxresdefault.jpg

Personally don't recall a "TIE Silencer" in any of my ventures into the new canon up to this point.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1

Yes, that was probably it actually. I only played that mode once.

• Like 1

I am wondering if the opening crawl of episode 9 will begin, "General Leia has been killed!" or whether they'll somehow use stand-ins/clever framing to have Leia in it for an opening battle, and to sacrifice herself for the Republic - which is something Leia and Carrie would probably have wanted. Personally, I'd prefer the latter.