NEurope
Dog-amoto

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (December 2017)

There's already a topic for this but feel free to merge/edit.

http://n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58118&highlight=Episode+viii

Not sure about the title, does that mean that Luke is the last, will Rey not become one?

My bad. Should I just bring this up on that one and continue from there?

As for that thought, that's what I'm thinking. Anakin was a Jedi, and their Code (along with his attitude and thirst for power) is what, in the end, resulted in him becoming Vader. Luke attempted to rebuild the Order his father almost completely destroyed, and it certainly did not go according to plan.

I think we see a new sect of Force users announced at the end of this trilogy, with the Jedi Order finally put to bed.

I think the whole Sith vs Jedi dichotomy needs to die so hopefully the title alludes to that. I'm all for good force users versus bad but it's kind of a bit back and white...almost literally.

Well, technically speaking, it's been dead for the thirty years since Vader's and Sidious' end in RotJ. Along with what happened with Kylo Ren and Luke's crumbled new Order, I think Luke will accept that the Jedi must end in the way the Sith have. It invites challenge and loss to have one extinguished from the galaxy, and could imbalance the Force.

I think we see a Legend of Korra style thing here, whereby we just see a general good vs a general bad, as opposed to pure good vs evil. It'd certainly be reflective of today's society, too.

EDIT: thanks for merging the threads, the Force is strong with you! :)

Edited by Julius Caesar
Automerged Doublepost

I like the title. Though it makes me think Luke may die and Rey will become "The Last Jedi".

EDIT: Though actually "The Last Jedi" could mean Luke and Rey.

Edited by somme

If there was more than one Jedi, would that not be Jedii?

#2006jokes

I like the title. Though it makes me think Luke may die and Rey will become "The Last Jedi".

EDIT: Though actually "The Last Jedi" could mean Luke and Rey.

I love the title for this reason alone. The Force Awakens resulted in an almost unanimous questioning of "well, why was it asleep?".

The Last Jedi, on the other hand, in title alone, makes you ask who this is in reference to.

Could be Luke.

Luke could die, and it could be Rey.

It could be plural and referring to them both.

It could imply that the Jedi will come to an absolute end, and perhaps transform in purpose and name.

Perhaps more telling is that, once again, the Star Wars Twitter has referenced the saga as "the Skywalker saga". This was a point of contention for many fans after TFA, and could be taken to imply that Rey is Luke's daughter.

If there was more than one Jedi, would that not be Jedii?

#2006jokes

But Luuke

Well Luke is the last Jedi, Rey is barely an apprentice at the start of VIII, by the end of it there could be more Jedi

Well Luke is the last Jedi, Rey is barely an apprentice at the start of VIII, by the end of it there could be more Jedi

Luke will be The Last Jedi at the beginning of the film, but at the end, Rey may be.

Seeing Leia is going to be hard.

No one speculated Revenge of the Sith was about one Sith lord.

The Last Jedi probably encompasses a range of things... the story of how the last Jedi were wiped out by Kylo Ren, how Luke became quite possibly the last Jedi knight, and the story of Luke and Rey as the last.

Not a fan of the title tbh.

The Last Jedi probably encompasses a range of things... the story of how the last Jedi were wiped out by Kylo Ren, how Luke became quite possibly the last Jedi knight, and the story of Luke and Rey as the last.

Not a fan of the title tbh.

Thats probably along the right lines, after all Jedi and Sith are both plural as well as singular so it fits eitherway.

Not sure why everyone thinks Luke will get killed off

It's probably the red lettering. In the films, we've had three different titles with red text at some point (before being abandoned later on in the marketing campaign): Return of the Jedi, it's preceding title Revenge of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith.

Just looking at RotJ and RotS, in the latter Luke is born (and Anakin "dies", becoming Vader), and in the former Luke is realised as a Jedi, and despite his father's short turn back to the light, he dies (for real this time, though I mean, Force Ghost, right?). I personally don't get it, seeing as we've already had official word on it, but I agree with most people here: I hope it signifies the end of the Jedi, even if Luke doesn't die. I have a feeling Rey will be resistant to his training methods and want to find an alternative way to do things (because I see Luke pushing her to kill Kylo, and not wanting to mirror his father by perhaps cutting off his nephew's hand).

Thats probably along the right lines, after all Jedi and Sith are both plural as well as singular so it fits eitherway.

Star Wars kind of has precedence in killing off main characters...

Obi Wan,

Vader,

Han,

Maul,

Dooku,

Mace,

Qi-gonn,

Yoda,

Everyone in Rogue One.

It's pretty much guaranteed at this point.

Edited by Cube

Luke has been referred to as "The Last Jedi" multiple times. So the title just means that Luke is in the film, as it simply refers to Luke. There could be 184 Jedi by the end of the film.

International translations confirm that Jedi are plural in the title.

Daisy Ridley and Mark Hamill are due to appear tomorrow on Good Morning America in anticipation of the franchise's 40th Anniversary - and Star Wars Celebration - as well as, in all likelihood, an announcement of a new Force for Change initiative alongside the release of a teaser for the The Last Jedi trailer likely to be shown off later this week during SWC.

[tweet]851411649575530496[/tweet]

Great.

Was wondering when we'd get to see a first trailer. I mean, didn't we get that Millenium Falcon trailer for Force Awakens in mid Fabruary?

Great.

Was wondering when we'd get to see a first trailer. I mean, didn't we get that Millenium Falcon trailer for Force Awakens in mid Fabruary?

Which one? The very first teaser featuring the Falcon flying on Jakku was revealed around Thanksgiving 2014, and the following trailer ("Chewie, we're home") was released mid-April at Star Wars Celebration 2015.

Thursday, opening day of Celebration, is featuring a 40th Anniversary Panel in which many surprises are, so we're told, waiting for us, though I take this to mean that the next unrevealed spin-off film (likely a Kenobi film) or a possible first live-action/the next animated TV series could be announced, and George Lucas and Harrison Ford could be making appearances (I mean, even Hayden Christensen and Denis Lawson are!). It is possible that we get our first TLJ trailer during this event, though, considering what comes the following day, I highly doubt it.

On Friday, the TLJ panel will be from 16:00 - 17:30 (BST) and will more than likely feature BTS footage, stills and our first trailer for The Last Jedi.

Why would they? Phantom Menace stated their would only be one master and apprentice.

C9YRt1SXkAEYN-k.jpg:large

Can we just talk for a second about the visual imagery here?! Kylo on one side, Luke on the other, with Rey in the middle. Her lightsaber literally fades from blue to red...

Other things of note: the music! My gosh, the Force theme swelling up but then being extended by the onslaught of trumpets? And how about the fact that it ends with Snoke's theme playing after the title card is shown?

I definitely prefer the poster to the trailer, great take on a classic design. Hopefully the film is as dark as expected, the more I think about The Force Awakens (especially after I finally got to watch Rogue One this week) the worse it gets. Glad Abrahms isn't directing any more, I don't think his style suits the franchise, it's kind of telling that the supposed smaller scale 'Rogue One' is on a much larger scale and feels like it takes place is a larger universe.

Can we just talk for a second about the visual imagery here?! Kylo on one side, Luke on the other, with Rey in the middle. Her lightsaber literally fades from blue to red...

Other things of note: the music! My gosh, the Force theme swelling up but then being extended by the onslaught of trumpets? And how about the fact that it ends with Snoke's theme playing after the title card is shown?

Yes we can

Given last line of how the Jedi need to end, i'm now fearing that Luke is Snoke, the poster makes him look like he is the big bad guy