NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

VICE: Nintendo Losing Younger Gamers

Shu Yoshida has said much the same thing a few times over the years. In fact, he has also said that Nintendo's recent struggles are a big problem for Sony because they relied a lot on Nintendo introducing children to gaming in general.

With Nintendo struggling to capture children right now, that's gonna come with some ramifications for Sony and MS down the line as well...

I don't think that applies anymore. Both Sony and Microsoft now have the reach to children and don't need Nintendo for this.

Also, children are being introduced to gaming through tablets and phones more than Nintendo ever have.

I don't think that applies anymore. Both Sony and Microsoft now have the reach to children and don't need Nintendo for this.

Also, children are being introduced to gaming through tablets and phones more than Nintendo ever have.

Do they, though? I don't see the games on either platform by MS or Sony that aims for that market except the usual suspects like CoD that early teens play because it's edgy and cool

Yeah kids are going straight to Playstation/Xbox now - there's no need to have another console before that.

Do they, though? I don't see the games on either platform by MS or Sony that aims for that market except the usual suspects like CoD that early teens play because it's edgy and cool

You've said it yourself, those are the games! Mario is no longer the big draw for children.

CoD, FIFA, Minecraft, Plants vs Zombies... these are the games kids want to play.

Star Wars Battlefront too, that's got kids wanting an Xbox or PS, I've seen it with a few of my friend's little'ns!

Edited by Kav

You've said it yourself, those are the games! Mario is no longer the big draw for children.

CoD, FIFA, Minecraft, Plants vs Zombies... these are the games kids want to play.

Star Wars Battlefront too, that's got kids wanting an Xbox or PS, I've seen it with a few of my friend's little'ns!

CoD is a game for people aged 18 and above. It should not be considered a game to get the kids into gaming.

CoD is a game for people aged 18 and above. It should not be considered a game to get the kids into gaming.

That it shouldn't doesn't matter, the fact of the matter is that it is.

So what's the argument then? Kids don't like Mario they love COD? So what?! Why should the prize be 'the most successful'? Should nintendo start making cod games? No. That ISN'T the argument here is it? If so it's pointless because that's not who nintendo are and I'm sure we don't want them to be.

I pointed out in another thread when someone was on the 'success' rant, listing loads of games nintendo needs to be successful, i then pointed out a lot of nintendo games are way more successful than the games he mentioned (no reply to that, shocker). What does it all mean?

Find it all such a bizarre way of thinking. What games do we want to play? Can we play them? Be happy. Wish Nintendo did voice chat? Had more third parties? Then debate that... though I really think we have... but to create these weird justifications to prove your points that don't actually make sense with what you really want to say just completely defeats the point doesn't it?

I really don't understand the issue. Why are people so so desperate for nintendo to have the same games we can all play on other machines anyway?

So what's the argument then? Kids don't like Mario they love COD? So what?! Why should the prize be 'the most successful'? Should nintendo start making cod games? No. That ISN'T the argument here is it? If so it's pointless because that's not who nintendo are and I'm sure we don't want them to be.

I pointed out in another thread when someone was on the 'success' rant, listing loads of games nintendo needs to be successful, i then pointed out a lot of nintendo games are way more successful than the games he mentioned (no reply to that, shocker). What does it all mean?

Find it all such a bizarre way of thinking. What games do we want to play? Can we play them? Be happy. Wish Nintendo did voice chat? Had more third parties? Then debate that... though I really think we have... but to create these weird justifications to prove your points that don't actually make sense with what you really want to say just completely defeats the point doesn't it?

I really don't understand the issue. Why are people so so desperate for nintendo to have the same games we can all play on other machines anyway?

I don't think that's the argument at all. What is being said is that kids are gravitating to a console that has these types of games and strong online social features. This doesn't mean that people want Nintendo to make these games but more they need to create an environment where these types of games have a place on a Nintendo console.

What is being said is that there are a generation of kids and teenagers who are growing up who have no desire to play on a Nintendo console because of the lack of these games or features.

I don't think that's the argument at all. What is being said is that kids are gravitating to a console that has these types of games and strong online social features. This doesn't mean that people want Nintendo to make these games but more they need to create an environment where these types of games have a place on a Nintendo console.

What is being said is that there are a generation of kids and teenagers who are growing up who have no desire to play on a Nintendo console because of the lack of these games or features.

Yep, this is it. You got the gist wrong @dazzybee.

It's not that we were arguing that Nintendo should have certain games... although I say that they should as a greater variety is better. It would also deter some people from getting other consoles instead of a Nintendo one.

This generation is the first generation that Nintendo isn't my main console and now I'm very much considering not buying their next.

They do need other games (and features) to win people like me back as I don't feel their games are up to scratch anymore.

Sure, a lot of people do, but as a company they should always be looking to gain customers, not lose them... which they are doing.

@Hero-of_time @kav82 Yeah i got the impression it was more about the wider services of the console rather than the games specifically, I guess that was sort of my point, in that chatting about kids playing tablets or COD instead distract from the real issue nintendo have.

It's a tricky one. I think nintendo need to keep doing what they do, I personally love they games, I don't want it to change. I don't think changing just to be more successful is the best approach to any art.

I do wonder if 3rd parties will ever come back really, hasn't been the same since the SNES and don't see it getting better; people don't buy nintendo consoles for 3rd party games in the main. Yeah we have unique cases of people who'd want it all (me included, if FIFA (and Battlefront) was on the WIi U/NX I wouldn't really need a ps4) but in the main it hasn't worked in a long time.

I think improving their services is the only thing, who knows how far they'll take this. But ultimately nintendo need to decide what they want their place to be in this industry; do they want to be the most successful; or just successful enough to keep doing what they're doing? The rest of us just have to decide whether we want to be a part of that.

I think improving their services is the only thing, who knows how far they'll take this. But ultimately nintendo need to decide what they want their place to be in this industry; do they want to be the most successful; or just successful enough to keep doing what they're doing? The rest of us just have to decide whether we want to be a part of that.

This isn't in their hands either. They have investors/shareholders to keep happy. They demand growth and if they don't get it then they take their business elsewhere. Simply getting by isn't enough for them.

I honestly think Nintendo knows that its gaming side is on shaky ground, hence their plans to broaden their reach. If Nintendo can find success from other things, such as movies, theme parks etc. then this will keep the investors off their back and the gaming side can plod along making a tidy little profit.

I wonder if we will hear anything about the QoL product this year? :D

Yeah kids are going straight to Playstation/Xbox now - there's no need to have another console before that.

Actually, I think that if anything they're going straight to mobiles, tablets and PC rather than PS4/Xbone...

And really, they're probably more likely to watch Youtubers play console games than actually play themselves :p

Actually, I think that if anything they're going straight to mobiles, tablets and PC rather than PS4/Xbone...

And really, they're probably more likely to watch Youtubers play console games than actually play themselves :p

Yes that's what I meant (mobile to PS4, as opposed to mobile to Nintendo to PS4) :)

Funnily enough, there is a guy in my office that purchased MGS5 without playing the previous games. He watched an online 'Let's Play' of all four console MGS games within two days...I just don't get it!

It becomes less noticeable when you don't dedicate your life to a game series for 10 year olds :heh:

Nintendo's main problem right now is lack of ambition. For some reason in the Wii era they slowly went from the majesty of Galaxy to 2D platformers. Now we have 2D platformers everywhere and if they're not 2D, they're semi-3D like Mario 3D World. 2D games don't appeal to kids and as the article said, kids don't need simple games, if it's appealing they'll happily step up to the challenge - as they did with 3D movement for Mario 64 back in the day.

I don't think they need to totally change the way they are and ditch Mario and Link, they just need to be more ambitious, release a modern-day fully 3D Mario title, have more new IP like Splatoon and improve online. It's 2016, if kids are at risk online then the problems are gonna stem from their mass use of mobiles and iPads, not gaming.

Thats exactly it - lack of ambition.

But I wonder what has been the catalyst to this drained and tired Nintendo, and I feel its a personnel issue. I think, for example, Miyamoto is getting too old and is too old school if he can make online play exempt from a game like Starfox WiiU (which will likely have a short single player experience) and the rest of the leadership agrees.

I would wager he has never experienced the overly addictive joy of a good online multiplayer game, even crap games become good with it.

And its these sort of small decisions that mess things up for a console with regards to attachment rates etc - If Pikmin 3 had online play, I definitely would still be playing it.

The pessimist in me predicts that even with the NX and supposedly learning 'lessons of the past', Nintendo won't truly "get it" with the likes of Reggie and Miyamoto being the decision-makers. And Nintendo does reek of that stereotypical, hard-headed, stubborn and inflexible Japanese business who clings on to old ways and things.

A revamp is needed and the whole mentality at Nintendo needs to change. Continuosly releasing consoles, no matter how catchy or powerful won't change much...

It becomes less noticeable when you don't dedicate your life to a game series for 10 year olds :heh:

Who would want to dedicate their life to Call of Duty? Yeesh

The whole starter console for kids is a fallacy. Kids quickly realise what's popular and gravitate to that. If there friends have a particular thing they want it. If older brother has a particular thing they want it.

I've never been a big fan of Vice, I think their journalism is for the most part pretty shoddy... and I have to say I don't agree with this article in the slightest, or indeed many of the comments in this thread.

Let's remember first of all that the game initially in question, Chibi-robo Zip Lash, is a second party game, not a first party one. Therefore we can assume that the game is not ultimately under the drirect control of Nintendo. They are there to offer a helping hand and support, but the directors and producers are the ones that decide whether the game will be 2D or 3D, how difficult it will be and who their target audience is. If they are pressed for time in terms of a release date or there is a window where much not is happening to gain a few sales, of course the easier option is to vote for 2D at the expense of something (in this case review scores and audience reception). A 3D game could have released later to better sales and wider critical acclaim. Why Vice chooses to focus on this specific example is beyond me. Is Chibi Robo really that popular with non-Nintendo fans? What about Animal Crossing Amiibo Party? Mario Tennis? They would have been better examples of rushed, ill-advised releases to complain about, and more justifiably so. They both could have been much, much bigger sellers. On that front I'm skeptical about any kind of Chibi-Robo game, 3D or 2D.

Secondly, we have the thorny issue of "protecting kids". It's true that Nintendo is behind the competition in terms of online capabilities. Though voice chat, it seems, is the be all end all of any online experience according to some people. Anything without it is pretty much useless. But where is voice chat in Minecraft? If I'm a ten year old boy who doesn't understand modding, how can I chat with my friend on Minecraft? I can't. Granted I can on Playstation or Xbox, but the original PC version, which is by far the most popular, doesn't offer this option, so why is it such a travesty that the Wii U doesn't offer it when this one game which is "so hip with the kids" doesn't either? I am on the side of the fence which believes that both Splatoon and Triforce Heroes work perfectly well without voice chat. Triforce Heroes, less so maybe, but the experience is certainly not ruined by its absence and the emojiis are pretty funny even 15 hours in. Personally, I think voice chat would completely ruin Splatoon. It's just my opinion, but I'm perefectly happy with it the way it is, along with 4.07 million other people. Most online shooters are actually ruined by voice-chat, but that, again, is just my opinion.

And this leads me to my next point - In-house Nintendo developed games are in the best state they've been atleast since the 90s, maybe ever. There, I said it. I want you to think about these five games: Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Splatoon and Mario Maker. The first three were widely regarded as the best, freshest and most accomplished entries in the respective series for years. Splatoon and Mario Maker have been multi-million sellers which are both critically acclaimed and have the benefit of being new IPs (okay, I accept that argument is pretty flimsy on Mario Maker, but hear me out). Most importantly, the latter two had very young development teams. Teams that grew up playing Nintendo, not designing games. This bodes very, very well for the future - fresh ideas with an understaing of what the company is all about. The first three games I mentioned demonstrate that the older developers are also, still, at the top of their game. In terms of development, ideas, and execution from a gameplay perspective, Nintendo has very little to worry about.

What the company needs to embrace is not "the young". The young do not have a disposable income. The young couldn't give two shits about voice chat and youtube streaming, the young only care about what's hot, not about what's not. The young care about what people are talking about at school and what's cool (it just so happens that is Minecraft and youtubers at this particular juncture, 20 years ago it was yoyos, tamagotchis and throwing coins at the wall, tomorrow it will be something different). Nintendo has failed in this regard, not because they didn't follow the trend, but because they didn't buck it. They played it too safe. The Wii U is an amazing console maybe their best, but I'm saying that to you as a lifelong Nintendo gamer, not as a 11-year-old boy who has never heard of Mario. What Nintendo needs to do keep developing their ideas, keep them fresh and interesting and make something that everyone wants to play, regardless of age, gender or location. Easy to pick up, tough to master. That's what they've consitantly done some well. Isn't that after all why we all love the big N? That and maybe get a new guy to market the stuff, because their marketing is god awful. Spend money to make money, whether it's through Youtube and iPad apps or not, just do it, and do it well.

What I'd like to see is a strengthening of ties with second party developers, more collaborations, as third party games have sold poorly on Nintendo for upwards of 20 years. If the third party games are there, great, if not, it's no big loss, but ONLY if Nintendo does something unique. Remember Rare? That's why the console is more important than ever. Who bought a Wii for third party games? No one. Nintendo need to come out of the gate with something that catches on. Something new and fresh, and completely the opposite of what everyone else is doing. The company has built itself on innovation, not on following trends and this, in my opinion, is the sole factor in deciding whether the next console(s), whatever form it takes, will be a success. Give us something interesting and original and it will sell like hot cakes, regardless of voice-chat or streaming.Subsequent game and Amiibo releases will only add to this.

I don't want to be singled out with this post as a blind Nintendo fan boy, who can't criticise the company and appreciate what they're doing wrong. They are a company who's history is littered with mistakes (particularly marketing), but I refuse to believe it's because they aren't doing what everyone else is doing. Yes, they are conservative in many regards, but this seems to be slowly changing with the NX and thus brings a certain degree of hope for the future.

Edited by Nicktendo

Secondly, we have the thorny issue of "protecting kids". It's true that Nintendo is behind the competition in terms of online capabilities. Though voice chat, it seems, is the be all end all of any online experience according to some people. Anything without it is pretty much useless. But where is voice chat in Minecraft? If I'm a ten year old boy who doesn't understand modding, how can I chat with my friend on Minecraft? I can't. Granted I can on Playstation or Xbox, but the original PC version, which is by far the most popular, doesn't offer this option, so why is it such a travesty that the Wii U doesn't offer it when this one game which is "so hip with the kids" doesn't either?

I read this and literally had to post. Not trying to be snarky, but it's quite important that if you engage in really long posts like this that you really know what you're talking about, because people will tune out from the rest of your post if they read something like this.

Minecraft console sales surpassed PC sales long ago. It's not hard to see why - it's so much more simple with a controller, it's typically cheaper, social is built in (and your friends there), and it's much easier to play on a TV. Then for the PC users, Skype itself is a piece of piss. My much younger brother was doing it at 10.

Then, a quick look at YouTube. You don't need to look far to see that Minecraft is without doubt one of the most streamed and watched games, even topics, on the whole of the site. Most of that is children and early teens.

Predictably this argument has been misinterpreted; from suggesting that Nintendo should take up features that people want, to claiming that people are arguing they want Nintendo to churn out COD. I mean, really? Come on.

People demanding Nintendo introduce features they want that other consoles have does not mean people want Nintendo to literally become the same as the competition. Nintendo will never become the same as the rest because of their USP - their software. Nobody should apologise for Nintendo's choices here because frankly, they are shit. And yeah, that is reflected in the way that loads of people are turning away from their home console.

Edited by Sheikah

I read this and literally had to post. Not trying to be snarky, but it's quite important that if you engage in really long posts like this that you really know what you're talking about, because people will tune out from the rest of your post if they read something like this.

Minecraft console sales surpassed PC sales long ago. It's not hard to see why - it's so much more simple with a controller, it's typically cheaper, social is built in (and your friends there), and it's much easier to play on a TV. Then for the PC users, Skype itself is a piece of piss. My much younger brother was doing it at 10.

Then, a quick look at YouTube. You don't need to look far to see that Minecraft is without doubt one of the most streamed and watched games, even topics, on the whole of the site. Most of that is children and early teens.

Predictably this argument has been misinterpreted; from suggesting that Nintendo should take up features that people want, to claiming that people are arguing they want Nintendo to churn out COD. I mean, really? Come on.

People demanding Nintendo introduce features they want that other consoles have does not mean people want Nintendo to literally become the same as the competition. Nintendo will never become the same as the rest because of their USP - their software. Nobody should apologise for Nintendo's choices here because frankly, they are shit. And yeah, that is reflected in the way that loads of people are turning away from their home console.

Sometimes I think people want Nintendo to be different just for the sake of being different.

With phones or tables or tvs, laptops we don't all demand each manufacture produce something which is vastly different to the competition. Each will ha it's own set of features and qualities which differentiate it from a different product and that's fine.

Nintendo offering what I would call staple features to its hardware and software makes Nintendo no less unique than they are now.

Rather that than give us something nobody asked for. ie a controller with screen which streams to a TV.

Who needs notifications that pop up when you get a friend request. No the completion does that let's just keep with friend codes and this ridiculous way we can or can't communicate with each other.

Region free hardware. Nope it's about being different so better not offer that.

Edited by liger05

Let's remember first of all that the game initially in question, Chibi-robo Zip Lash, is a second party game, not a first party one. Therefore we can assume that the game is not ultimately under the drirect control of Nintendo. They are there to offer a helping hand and support, but the directors and producers are the ones that decide whether the game will be 2D or 3D, how difficult it will be and who their target audience is. If they are pressed for time in terms of a release date or there is a window where much not is happening to gain a few sales, of course the easier option is to vote for 2D at the expense of something (in this case review scores and audience reception). A 3D game could have released later to better sales and wider critical acclaim. Why Vice chooses to focus on this specific example is beyond me. Is Chibi Robo really that popular with non-Nintendo fans? What about Animal Crossing Amiibo Party? Mario Tennis? They would have been better examples of rushed, ill-advised releases to complain about, and more justifiably so. They both could have been much, much bigger sellers. On that front I'm skeptical about any kind of Chibi-Robo game, 3D or 2D.

It makes no difference who made the game, it's still an Nintendo IP. If Nintendo weren't happy with the direction then they would have said something.

You have to then ask the question, does Nintendo not value the IP enough to make sure its a good gaming experience or were they simply happy to push the game out the door in order to fill a release schedule? Both of these aren't painting a good picture of the company but given the other examples you use ( Mario Tennis and Animal Crossing ) its probably the latter of those questions.

Secondly, we have the thorny issue of "protecting kids". It's true that Nintendo is behind the competition in terms of online capabilities. Though voice chat, it seems, is the be all end all of any online experience according to some people. Anything without it is pretty much useless. But where is voice chat in Minecraft? If I'm a ten year old boy who doesn't understand modding, how can I chat with my friend on Minecraft? I can't. Granted I can on Playstation or Xbox, but the original PC version, which is by far the most popular, doesn't offer this option, so why is it such a travesty that the Wii U doesn't offer it when this one game which is "so hip with the kids" doesn't either? I am on the side of the fence which believes that both Splatoon and Triforce Heroes work perfectly well without voice chat. Triforce Heroes, less so maybe, but the experience is certainly not ruined by its absence and the emojiis are pretty funny even 15 hours in. Personally, I think voice chat would completely ruin Splatoon. It's just my opinion, but I'm perefectly happy with it the way it is, along with 4.07 million other people. Most online shooters are actually ruined by voice-chat, but that, again, is just my opinion.

I hate this kind of argument with voice chat, as instantly dismisses the party chat option. Most would agree that talking to randomers is rarely a decent experience but most people on here simply want to talk to friends while gaming. Party chat is a simple solution to this. No strangers, just friends having the banter while playing.

I also find that most people who are against such things are the one who don't use it in the first place. If people don't want to talk online then fine but think about those who do and what it can bring to gaming. It's like I mentioned earlier, I have zero interest in streaming games but I do recognise that it is a big part of gaming now and as such be a standard feature going forward. I don't say that "Well I don't use it then who cares about it?"

I honestly fail to see how talking to friends would ruin something like Splatoon. If anything it would enhance the experience. A prime example was when a few of us on here decided to use Skype while playing and it was such a laugh. It's exactly the same as having your mates over while playing on a local multiplayer game.

What the company needs to embrace is not "the young". The young do not have a disposable income. The young couldn't give two shits about voice chat and youtube streaming, the young only care about what's hot, not about what's not. The young care about what people are talking about at school and what's cool (it just so happens that is Minecraft and youtubers at this particular juncture, 20 years ago it was yoyos, tamagotchis and throwing coins at the wall, tomorrow it will be something different). Nintendo has failed in this regard, not because they didn't follow the trend, but because they didn't buck it. They played it too safe. The Wii U is an amazing console maybe their best, but I'm saying that to you as a lifelong Nintendo gamer, not as a 11-year-old boy who has never heard of Mario. What Nintendo needs to do keep developing their ideas, keep them fresh and interesting and make something that everyone wants to play, regardless of age, gender or location. Easy to pick up, tough to master. That's what they've consitantly done some well. Isn't that after all why we all love the big N? That and maybe get a new guy to market the stuff, because their marketing is god awful. Spend money to make money, whether it's through Youtube and iPad apps or not, just do it, and do it well.

Nintendo do need to embrace the young. These are the gamers of tomorrow and if they haven't had exposure to Nintendo games at a young age then there's a good chance they won't even bother with Nintendo stuff later in life.

There's a reason why Nintendo sales have dropped significantly every generation ( Wii being the exception ) and that's because the Nintendo fan base is diminishing with every generation. I think the people who are propping the company up at the moment ( at least in terms of home console sales ) are the ones who grew up with Nintendo. Things like amiibo are probably being sold mostly to the adults who have nostalgia for Nintendo and have disposable income.

Lets make no mistake, Nintendo plays the nostalgia card HARD a lot of the time. They do it well and have every right to do so. They are probably the only games company that has this kind of pull on people, but what happens when these people grow out of games? This is where the issue is because they need a new generation to replace the ones who eventually stop playing games and I believe this is why the user base of their home consoles is collapsing.

And this leads me to my next point - In-house Nintendo developed games are in the best state they've been atleast since the 90s, maybe ever. There, I said it. I want you to think about these five games: Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Splatoon and Mario Maker.

I agree with this, at least for the most part. Mario Maker and Splatoon didn't hit the right notes with me but they have been a hug success for the company. Stuff like Captain Toad, Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Kirby Rainbow Curse, Pikmin 3 etc. are all fantastic games and memorable experiences.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
Automerged Doublepost

Allow me to clarify a few points. With regard to what @Sheikah said about Minecraft, I didn't say the sales were better on consoles, I said it was more popular on PC. It's the system of choice. Think about how many people are playing pirate copies, or are playing with mods. The developers even advocated piracy of the game way back in 2012.

I can't see Nintendo not including party chat for the next console, it's an industry standard now and they'd be stupid not to include it. But this is linked to friends and their improvements on the Wii U in this regard, and the upcoming Nintendo Network indicate they are taking online more seriously than back in 2006. It was a mistake not to include it, but nevertheless I side with Nintendo that chatting online and playing with friends will never truly replace the couch experience. Something which kids still have the time and freedom to enjoy, and us older gamers don't. For us, there are ways around it, like Skype as you pointed out.

Where younger gamers are concerned, I'm simply advocating that Nintendo shouldn't pander to them, but inspire them. We can see with Mario Maker, Splatoon and Yokai Watch that Nintendo are moving forward in this area, not like in the GameCube era, for example, where they churned out sequels. It's not about giving them what they think they want, but what they haven't seen yet, something new. For us Nintendo fans both this and nostalgia will be the draw. Who knows what will happen when the kids who grew on the DS and Wii get a disposable income, will we see another spike in nostalgic teens / young adults as we saw after the NES and SNES era? There's no reason to suggest it couldn't happen. Between them they sold 250 million units, on a par, if not higher than the sales in the 80s and 90s.

I think one of the biggest problems that arises when being critical of Nintendo is how the match up against the competition. They tried this with the N64 and the GameCube and it didn't work for them. The Wii was a success because it did what the others didn't. In 2006/7 it was ingenious and caught the public's imagination. Unfortunately they couldn't maintain the success and the console became a huge disappointment in its later life, but as we've seen from the activity of the past few years (merging handheld and console dev studios), embracing online, connected and mobile technology, they are better placed to counteract this.

Many of the points you raise are entirely valid, and I wholeheartedly agree with many gripes of older Nintendo gamers, but what we want is not necessarily what's best for Nintendo. If they want to chase kids and make lifelong Nintendo gamers then they have to be original and take some risks, and just like the Wii, that has the potential to anger older fans. Simply doing what the competition is doing, in an overcrowded marketplace none the less, just won't cut it anymore, particularly when you factor in the marketing budgets of Sony and Microsoft.

I hate talking with my friends, I much prefer sitting in silence when we all go out for a beer.

Going to a restaurant with them and talking during the meal? No thanks! I'm there to eat, not to catch up!

What's with phones?! Who seriously made a device where friends can get in contact and talk to me?! Fucking cunts!

Yeah, the whole "I don't want voice chat" is retarded.

Also, can't really add to @Hero\-of\-Time's posts as they are absolutely spot on!

Although with regards to the games:

MK8 - needed a decent battle mode and voice chat.

Splatoon - needed a decent offering of modes/options and voice chat.

SM3DW - needed online multiplayer.

Pikmin 3 - needed online multiplayer.

Now it's not what Nintendo put on the disc that's the problem, it's what they leave off. It stops good games from being great!

I hate talking with my friends, I much prefer sitting in silence when we all go out for a beer.

Going to a restaurant with them and talking during the meal? No thanks! I'm there to eat, not to catch up!

What's with phones?! Who seriously made a device where friends can get in contact and talk to me?! Fucking cunts!

Yeah, the whole "I don't want voice chat" is retarded.

Also, can't really add to @Hero\-of\-Time's posts as they are absolutely spot on!

Although with regards to the games:

MK8 - needed a decent battle mode and voice chat.

Splatoon - needed a decent offering of modes/options and voice chat.

SM3DW - needed online multiplayer.

Pikmin 3 - needed online multiplayer.

Now it's not what Nintendo put on the disc that's the problem, it's what they leave off. It stops good games from being great!

I was under the impression that none of our friends own Wii Us and only people we chat online to on a Nintendo forum do.. :wink: What about all those people who go to restaurants or for a beer with friends so they can sit in silence and check facebook and write to OTHER friends. I thought that was what's hip these days.

Sign in to follow this