NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Detective Pikachu

6 minutes ago, markderoos said:

You mean This one? Around 17:00

Huh? I guess I'm remembering wrong. Could of sworn it was deeper. Never mind me then.

Japan is getting a demo for the game in March and the data will be carried over to the main game. Hopefully we will see the same thing over here.

• Thanks 2

Not a very well cut trailer TBH.  Still, it looks like it'll be a decent little adventure game; just hope that it isn't too cutscene heavy.

Edited by Dcubed

Hope it's okay for me to bump this thread up a bit - I finished the game a few days ago, but none of my friends have finished it yet so I need a place to ramble about it. :heh:

So yeah... what a game. I don't think I quite knew what to expect when I started playing, but I ended up absolutely loving it. I think it might even be one of my favourite Pokémon games now!

That's not to say the game is 100% perfect in every way, of course. There's definitely plenty of room for improvement, but it was an extremely entertaining ride and gave me a unique look into the Pokémon world that I've been wanting for so many years.

Spoiler

Chapter 1 and 2 were both pretty good - the first chapter especially was much more intricate than I was expecting from the introductory tutorial case - but Chapter 3 is when I realized that the game would be a truly special experience. Exploring PCL, getting to know so many different characters and helping them out with their experiments and problems while investigating a bigger mystery... somehow that chapter gave me some really big CiNG vibes, temporarily filling that void left in my heart for over 7 long years... (though this game is of course not quite at the height of CiNG's masterpieces.)

I will say that I was a bit... disappointed, perhaps, when Mewtwo suddenly showed up - just cause it feels like they shove it into nearly every Pokémon game these days - but learning how well it fit into the story turned that all around. This is probably Mewtwo's best appearance in a game ever. And they even brought back the Berserk Gene!! :eek:

I think Chapter 6 was my favourite, perhaps again because of the new perspective the game offers. Science facilities and laboratories like PCL are always interesting to explore, but they're not all that uncommon in Pokémon games. Learning how Pokémon work in a TV studio - whether as production crew or co-hosts and show participants - is something we see far more rarely. And I also really enjoyed the chapter's cast of characters as well as the mysteries and revelations.

Regarding the ending, I'd wish that the final chapter was just a little bit longer, and that they'd have spent a bit more time building up the suspiciousness of each of the suspects before the finale, but it was still very good even if it was quite predictable. But I guess that's the same for nearly every chapter in the game. :heh:

And, of course, the ending itself left with me so many questions that I'm gonna need a sequel ASAP.

In conclusion: Excellent game, strongly recommended to everyone who's even slightly interested. There's a demo on the eShop (covers most of Chapter 1, progress can be transferred to full game), so go check it out if you're on the fence!

• Thanks 4

I'm only on chapter 4, slowly making my way through the game but enjoying it. The voice acting is great and so is Pikachu.

The game does suffer a little bit as so far the culprit has been obvious and the game even shows the player a little bit too much so you have to wait until you've gone through all the motions until Tim catches up at times. Some of the NPC dialog seems a bit basic, which makes sense due to who the target audience is.

But yeah, great game. Worth checking out.

Also I learnt I've been pronouncing Garbodor wrong. :woops:

I’ve still got the game in its wrapper, looking forward to playing it after tour impressions!

I stopped playing the game after chapter 5. While the characters and voice acting add a lot of charm to the game, the gameplay just isn't satisfying at all. The game holds your hand most of the way though it to the point where it felt kinda pointless playing. @Ike hit on a point that frustrated me, where you would know who the culprit was or you knew what item you needed but you have to jump though a bunch of hoops to actually get to the point where you can finally put your thoughts into actions. Even though the games is short ( only 9 chapters ) I haven't felt compelled to finish it since I stopped playing it on launch weekend.

I tried the demo last night. After the first initial investigation and getting to the fountain felt like it took so long I stopped playing. It felt like it was trying to be a very slow Professor Layton with none of the charm.