NEurope
Ashley

N-Europe Turns 18

Would you believe it guys; this site can drink!

That's right, N-Europe has turned 18 this week.

I'd like to personally take the opportunity to thank the wonderful site and forum staff we have (past and present) who spend their own time working on this site to try and make it an enjoyable and entertaining place to visit. They work hard and I often feel guilty for not being able to help as much as I'd like, but its great knowing there are people who continue to find the passion and drive to try and make this site even better.

And of course, you lot. Some of us have been around for many years, some of us are new. But we all get along (by and large! :heh:) and have some wonderful discussions about not only Nintendo but many other things.

Many of the people in my life I've met through this site (and I even live with one of them!) and we will soon be having our first N-Europe wedding. It's weird to think that what started in the bedrooms of two Dutch teenagers has become this, but it's wonderful to see.

So here's to 18 more years when I'll be...age redacted

What birthday do you guys reckon you'll still be here to see?

I reckon I'll make the 25th, leave soon after, and then come back in time for the 40th.

I reckon I'll make the 25th, leave soon after, and then come back in time for the 40th.

You intending to be sentenced for blackmail?

All of them hopefully. :)

It might sound virtually insane but I have no plans on leaving the site any time soon unless my life plans change significantly which is highly unlikely. :heh:

For the entire time I've been signed up to the forums here I've always been staff, before that I lurked for a good while as I can remember discovering the site when searching for Nintendo news back in the N64 days, but I tended to visit more regularly when the site become Cube-Europe, then there was a recruitment drive for new staff writers and the rest is history. :D

N-europe is genuinely the first website opened on my browser first-thing in the morning and the last place I sign-out of before I turn off my computer at night.

I just can't imagine not having it as part of my life anymore... :blank:

...which I think is a good thing. : peace:

Over the years I've had the pleasure of working alongside some fantastic people and even more recently N-Europe has become bigger so I'm getting the chance to work with many more equally talanted people as well.

But lets not forget the very forum itself which I genuinely believe is a fantastic place - despite the odd rough patch we've had here and there in certain threads - :indeed: which has brought about some mostly excellent discussions about things not just Nintendo but Sega, Sony, Microsoft and everything inbetween in general chit chat.

Indeed this forum is directly responsible for broadening my interests in Music, films etc in addition to games, I wouldn't be listening to Joanna Newsom right now for the hundredth time as I type this for one thing in addition to other excellent artists, I've been actively trying to watch different films as well such as The Third Man which has become one of my favourite films I've ever had the pleasure of watching, I'm into Game of Thrones thanks to the thread creating a buzz around it in its early days.... just things like that really. :smile:

It's always good to see the community coming together through the good times and bad as well, I feel as if I've made many friends on here which isn't something I consider to be an easy thing in reality, as a result of hearing about other members life experiences I've tried to take myself out of my usual comfort zone as well, sometimes with mixed results but... ::shrug: that's what life is about I suppose.

I suppose I'd just like to say "Thank You" to this phenomenal site and everyone who makes N-Europe what it is. :heart:

Anyway, with that... back to writing more reviews I go. :cool:

Edited by S.C.G

Only 18!? Feels older to me than that ;)

What can I say? This site means a lot to me. Been posting here since I was a wee lad and I don't intend on stopping any time soon (though I'm one of the big boys now : peace: )

From the many hilarious nights shared with people on here playing online games (WIFI KARTS!!!), to the many hours of discussion shared about all matters Nintendo and the opinions of mine that you people have had to endure (@Sheikah in particular has borne the brunt of much of that; thanks for putting up with me!), to the meetups and events that we have run on the site. I salute you all!

Hopefully I give back to the community as much as it has given me! :bowdown:

Here's to many more birthdays still to come! : peace:

You intending to be sentenced for blackmail?

If by "blackmail" you mean "have children and not any free time" then yes, yes I do.

Makes me feel old...

Thank you to the staff and the members that make this site great. I may not post much any more but I still lurk! I've made some friends for life from this site and I'll always be grateful for that.

Happy Birthday, N-Europe!

It's still my favourite website/forum of all time! So many great memories of this place and of ye olde Revolution and Cube-Europe. Needless to say, I'm grateful for this place for introducing me to my co-op partner for life @Eenuh. :)

There's a lot of great people here and hopefully more to join to keep this place feeling fresh. I may not be Nintendo's biggest fan at the moment, but I'm glad that this is still a friendly place to chat and share views. Always look forward to the annual E3 hype threads and predictions, even if this has slowed down somewhat over the last few years.

Happy 18th Birthday, now you are old enough to have a drink or two.

Been part of this community for over 10 years (lingered in the early days, before the N-Europe/Revo-Europe days). Made many friends, met many of the community. Seen history made.

Happy Birthday N-E!

I've been a member for over 10 years now and a reader for even longer, lurking as soon as I started secondary school which was like... 2003? I've really grown up with this site, poured all my emotional fanboy days into it, how much I hated Sony and MS, my rampant love for Donkey Kong, my desperation for Twilight Princess, my fascination with the best handheld device ever made all the way to my modern self, having grown up and realised there's life beyond Nintendo in videogames but still having a big place in my heart for them.

I used to adore Cube-Europe and poured over each article, spent ages trawling through the desktop backgrounds (even on my dying 56k connection) and only dreaming of ever being able to post on there one day, it's crazy to think that I've been a staff member for over 3 years now and I'm so thankful. especly considrin i usd to typ liek this lol -bstmte :rolleyes:

More than anything though it's been a personal journey, I don't post that regularly in the forums now but I still love reading about all your escapades, and I've made some life-long friends over the years and some fantastic memories too. When I've had no one to turn to, I've always felt safe talking about my problems on here, as it has a sense of family but without the judgmental fears :p From dealing with school woes and coming out, this place and you guys have been like my own personal therapist and I can't thank you all enough.

And I'll never know who it was but I have to say thank you to the guy who posted a link to this site for me to follow on the Nintendo VIP forums back when I was 12, else I may have never found this place!

Here's to another 18 years, where we'll all be playing the PS7 and complaining about lack of third-party support on the Wii-Z.

I find it quite amusing that I came to these boards (Cube-Europe era) in search of Nintendo information. Now I forget that the site is actually based around Nintendo...