NEurope
nekunando

Design the NX Controller!

For me, this is still the best layout.

Xbox-360-S-Controller.png

Everything just feels right about the positioning of the buttons and sticks.

Definitely. Amiibo are no doubt part of their long term plan and given how much cash they have generated Nintendo will be making sure that they can be used on the NX. The controller is the best option. It saves having to get up when you want to scan something.

I prefer the analogue placement of the PS4 pad, there's a better balance with that controller.

I might try and design the NX controller. @RedShell's GamePad looks more aesthetic than the real thing. Hate how clunky the real one looks. It's enormous.

Judging from that pic that Xbox D-pad looks horrendous to use...

I never had an issues with it, but I know many on the interwebs didn't care for it. Something about deadzones or some other know it all pants like that. To be honest I don't remember using it much. I think it was mostly used for inventory stuff.

Do d-pads even get used as a primary control scheme anymore? I know I prefer using them for 2D games and classic stuff on the VC.

The original Xbox 360 dpad is horrible but they replaced it with a transforming one late in it's life span which is excellent.

I prefer the analogue placement of the PS4 pad, there's a better balance with that controller.

I really dislike the DualShock analogue sticks being low down, it makes my thumb ache after extended periods. I much prefer the GameCube/Xbox 360 asymmetric layout.

It is. Even the newer ones aren't great. That one is a small step above the Gamecube D-pad basically just in size. The Xbone D-pad at least works and is accurate to which direction you press, but it has a sickeningly loud click with every press.

I love the Wii U Pro Controller, I've been using it to play Skyrim on my Mac recently and it works really well even though it's just got keyboard and mouse controls mapped to it, so if they go down the fully traditional route I hope that they stick with the Pro design. Obviously it needs a couple of tweaks, like analogue triggers, but it's so comfortable and the battery life is fantastic.

I hope they stick with the gamepad though, I really like it all it needs it multi-touch and analogue triggers, I myself have never had an issue with the way it looks and feels but I can see the point of those who do.

I would happily see the Gamepad put to bed. I don't like it one bit.

Weird. I tend to put things to bed that I do like.

Anyway, I'd personally be glad to never touch anything like the GamePad again. It gets irksome after an hour or two, takes up a lot of space and I've never found a compelling use for the screen.

I liked the GameCube pad but think that it was just enjoyable because it served the purpose, although it could have done with being a scotch bigger. The PS4 pad does me fine by and large. So I guess somewhere in between those?

I don't know, but I do know I want it to be normal. Or maybe have variation SKUs of thumb placements. That'll be innovative enough.

And be in spice orange, obviously.

To give a short serious anwser..

First of all, I haven't followed the news on the NX, so I don't know of any new features or requirements.

If it's going to be a tradional controller, then in short, I want something that's a hybrid of the Wii classic controller pro, and the X-box one elite controller I'm now using for certain PC games. In general, I want the layout of the Wii controller, with the buildquality of the X-box controller. Slightly more specific:

- Layout almost the same as Wii classic controller pro.

- X-box one elite controller sticks but placed where the sticks are on the wii controller. They're so damn smooth.

- I want Nintendo style octogates for the sticks.

- X-box one elite controller triggers.

- Bumpers: feel of the X-box controller, placement and shape of the wii controller.

- classic Nintendo D-pad.

- NO ANALOGUE TRIGGERS. I fucking hate analogue triggers.

- NO STICK BUTTONS.

- Facebuttons in the usual SNES style, which means a little closer to eachother than on the wii controller.

- rubbery housing.

- preferrably options for both wired and wireless. Most likely in the form of an USB to micro USB cable.

- I'm currently not using them myself, but I can imagine situations I'd want to: pedals.

- And this would make me incredibly happy: official PC support. I want to be able to properly use Nintendo controllers on my PC.

Edited by Sméagol

It won't have any face buttons. The controller will have touch screen context sensitive buttons that adapt to the game being played.

It'll be another solution-to-a-problem-that-doesn't-exist controllers from Nintendo.

- X-box one elite controller triggers.

- NO ANALOGUE TRIGGERS. I fucking hate analogue triggers.

I am confused

I am confused

If they're analogue, I haven't noticed. Let me put it this way: I don't want the clicky Gamecube style analogue controllers.

If they're analogue, I haven't noticed. Let me put it this way: I don't want the clicky Gamecube style analogue controllers.

That "clicky" bit the non-analog part of those triggers. Nintendo actually has a patent for the hybrid analog (digital and analog) triggers featured on the GameCube Controller and Wii Classic Controllers, so you don't see the digital bit on other controllers. Same goes for those octagon shaped analog stick sockets. The main use for analog triggers is games that have a lot of driving, since you want to be able to control the rate at which you're accelerating or breaking. Using the analog sticks isn't always an option because they're often mapped to other functions like steering and camera control.

Also, it's obviously not official, but if you want to use recent Nintendo controllers with a PC, you might want to check this out: http://www.wiinupro.com/home. You'll also need to install this though: http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/.

Edited by Emasher

I wouldn't want the NX having too many different controls like the WiiU has, i'd be happy with a Pro controller-type pad. Something simple that people can get to grips with.

That "clicky" bit the non-analog part of those triggers. Nintendo actually has a patent for the hybrid analog (digital and analog) triggers featured on the GameCube Controller and Wii Classic Controllers, so you don't see the digital bit on other controllers. Same goes for those octagon shaped analog stick sockets. The main use for analog triggers is games that have a lot of driving, since you want to be able to control the rate at which you're accelerating or breaking. Using the analog sticks isn't always an option because they're often mapped to other functions like steering and camera control.

Also, it's obviously not official, but if you want to use recent Nintendo controllers with a PC, you might want to check this out: http://www.wiinupro.com/home. You'll also need to install this though: http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/.

Yeah, to me, that's the most annoying part, but the resistance itself is also annoying, but I can set set the resistance to low on my controller, so it's neglible. The X-box one elite controller's triggers are perfect.

As for the driver.. I don't have a Wii U controller (or any other wireless controller). I'd prefer getting an adapter for my wii classic controller pro, which is was something I was considering along with the X-box controller.

Edited by Sméagol

Yeah, to me, that's the most annoying part, but the resistance itself is also annoying, but I can set set the resistance to low on my controller, so it's neglible. The X-box one elite controller's triggers are perfect.

As for the driver.. I don't have a Wii U controller (or any other wireless controller). I prefer getting an adapter for my wii classic controller pro.

The "soft" version of the driver in the link I posted will supposedly work with one. It's just a pain to install everything. Nowhere near as simple as DS4Windows.

The "soft" version of the driver in the link I posted will supposedly work with one. It's just a pain to install everything. Nowhere near as simple as DS4Windows.

But it won't let me plug my controller into my computer ;).

I was looking at this thing, and I may still get one at some point.

But it won't let me plug my controller into my computer ;).

I was looking at this thing, and I may still get one at some point.

Not directly, but Wii remotes are just Bluetooth devices, and you can get USB Bluetooth adapters for about half the price of that. Although, considering how annoying the drivers are to set up, you're definitely better off with that if it's seen as an xinput device.

I had a go at a simple (very simple :heh:) traditional controller design.

Basically just a fusion of the GCN and DS4 controllers:

x6P032O.jpg

• Analog on the left has an octagonal gate but the one on the right is round. Seeing as the right stick is camera control 99% of the time I figure that makes sense. Plus, something's got to be weird/different, so this is it. :hehe:
  • Full size D-Pad, rather than the mini one on the GCN pad.
  • Decided to lose start and select (+/-) buttons, as they are pretty much pointless now. The home button should pause and provide quick access to options.
  • Added a NFC reader in the center of the pad. Love 'em or hate 'em, amiibo ain't going anywhere.
  • Top side of the pad would feature 4 shoulder buttons in the standard layout. 2 digital ones near the face and 2 analog with digital click directly underneath those, technically making it 6 buttons!

So yeah, nothing too fancy, but I reckon this would work well, be familiar to most people and of course be comfortable to use.

Yeah analog triggers have basically been standard on all xboxes, and the PS3/4 and the GameCube. The cube just also had the digital click is all.

For a time the PS2 and I think PS3 had analog face buttons that detected how hard you were pressing. I personally didn't have the finesse to only press a button mere millimeters instead of more millimeters, but some did and used it in Gran Turismo 4 due to the lack of analog triggers.

For a time the PS2 and I think PS3 had analog face buttons that detected how hard you were pressing. I personally didn't have the finesse to only press a button mere millimeters instead of more millimeters, but some did and used it in Gran Turismo 4 due to the lack of analog triggers.

I always disliked that! I remember racing my brother on TOCA Race Driver 2, I think, and I hated having to push the X Button so hard for the duration of the race just to achieve maximum speed throughout. I can only imagine how painful that might get after a while :nono:

I always disliked that! I remember racing my brother on TOCA Race Driver 2, I think, and I hated having to push the X Button so hard for the duration of the race just to achieve maximum speed throughout. I can only imagine how painful that might get after a while :nono:

That's why it makes more sense to use the shoulder buttons/triggers for racers now. It's absolutely essential for Drive Club and I could not have platinumed that game without it.

My friends mentioned the analogue face button thing in high school and I thought they were having me on. Seems quite fiddly. Analogue shoulders/triggers makes more sense to me since you can clearly feel the subtle differences between hardly touching the button to knocking it all the way down.

I had a go at a simple (very simple :heh:) traditional controller design.

[*]Decided to lose start and select (+/-) buttons, as they are pretty much pointless now. The home button should pause and provide quick access to options.

Apart from this, your lovely controller redesign would be perfectly functional. :)

I would think that at least traditional Start/Select buttons would be required as unless you were to remap that function to another button, I think it would render the ability to select Game A Game B and Game C in certain NES titles on the VC useless as the select button seems to be required for those; I'm sure I can remember pressing Up or Down on the D-Pad many times to select these game modes and then remembering... oh yeah, the Select button. :heh:

Aside from that, it's a controller which I would use without hesitation. : peace: