NEurope
nekunando

Design the NX Controller!

There's been quite a bit of chat over the last few days about what Nintendo need to do with NX, whether it be a home console, handheld or something which links them more closely together, but it's pretty clear that nobody really knows how they can be successful going forward ::shrug:

For a bit of fun, I thought it would be great for the N-Europe community to get their pens and papers out, MS Paint, Photoshop or whatever other means in order to design what form the NX controller should take, assuming it's a home console :smile:

The staff and I will pick out some of our favourites to feature in an article on the main site and, if you happen to be tired of being known as a 'Frequent Poster' or 'N-Europe Forum Aficionado', there's a custom user title* up for grabs for our favourite design!

You don't have to be a superb artist or Photoshop wizard to participate! Have some fun with it and let your creative juices flow :grin:

I look forward to seeing what you guys can come up with : peace:

* Anything deemed to be provocative or offensive will not be permitted.

Well, I thought long and hard about the features I'd want, and I gave it my all.

Here's my masterpiece:

best_controller.png

Clearly you're not getting any better submissions, so please give me the title Master designer. Thanks!

I'm offended by that crude drawing of an elephant. Although an elephant skin covered controller with ivory buttons.....

iZDtoj0.jpg

I'd be happy with the Wii U controller with analogue triggers, as long as it gets used properly this time.

For a bit of fun, I thought it would be great for the N-Europe community to get their pens and papers out, MS Paint, Photoshop or whatever other means in order to design what form the NX controller should take, assuming it's a home console

But what if it's not! I think it will be something like this, with streaming options to a TV/screen:

nintendo-fusion-nx.jpg

Don't give me credits though, since I stole this image from Google. :D

KOsJBQy.jpg

I'd be happy with this, but with analogue triggers

It could have a bit more of a modern update at least! The Wii U controller's design aged very quickly, huge mass of wasted space around the outside in plastic and pretty small low res screen, feels really tacky compared to even a budget tablet these days. It's thick and light like a child's toy with a horrendous battery life.

There's a £50 Kindle Fire with a 7" 1024x600 screen at 171 ppi. (For reference thanks to wiki, gamepad is 6.2 inch (15.7 cm) 854x480 16:9 @ 158 ppi).

It could have a bit more of a modern update at least! The Wii U controller's design aged very quickly, huge mass of wasted space around the outside in plastic and pretty small low res screen, feels really tacky compared to even a budget tablet these days. It's thick and light like a child's toy with a horrendous battery life.
Agreed. It did not take long at all for the GamePad to feel/look outdated. :shakehead

Nintendo are free to use my redesign if they like!: :heh:

h3Hya23.jpg

Before and after the diet: :hehe:

Dbc1s2i.jpg

I think they should just refine the Wii U Pro Controller a bit for NX though.

Capture2_zpsqzr0xhad.png

Done! :D

That Octagonal gate on the analogue stick....:heart:

I'd also add in the Gamepad's gyro. Would love to see that used for camera control.

Agreed. It did not take long at all for the GamePad to feel/look outdated. :shakehead

Nintendo are free to use my redesign if they like!: :heh:

h3Hya23.jpg

Before and after the diet: :hehe:

Dbc1s2i.jpg

I think they should just refine the Wii U Pro Controller a bit for NX though.

I'm thinking a refined Gamepad as well. Really needs analog ZL/Zr triggers though (with that digital click!)

But of course that's not to say that we can't have a refined Pro Controller either... (I miss Octagonal Gates!)

I'll have a crack at doing my own one later :)

KOsJBQy.jpg

I'd be happy with this, but with analogue triggers

Completely agree. There is nothing inherently wrong with the Wii U pad other than the lack of analogue triggers.

Capture2_zpsqzr0xhad.png

Done! :D

This would make the perfect non-screen controller. That's assuming it would have analogue triggers too. I'd want the colours back on the face buttons though.

I don't like how many pictures in here show a controller with slide pads. They're just about acceptable for the 3DS but they'd be horrible on a home console.

Edit: One thing I've just remembered. I don't even think the NX will be a Wii U replacement. I think it's the next handheld so... I don't think it'll look anything like this.

Edited by V. Amoleo

One thing that does annoy me about the gamepad is when games (which are most of them) don't use it, and just mirrors the TV and there's this distracting light. Why they didn't have a feature to turn the screen off I have no idea. Bizarre.

I think they need the pad for some games (and I hope that they will have it, I love off screen play, plus how it's used in some games), but I think it would be clever to include 2 controllers with the console, "Gamepad" and "Pro Controller". Now, the price could be a problem, but again, it should be much cheaper to produce a Gamepad now.

I think they need the pad for some games (and I hope that they will have it, I love off screen play, plus how it's used in some games), but I think it would be clever to include 2 controllers with the console, "Gamepad" and "Pro Controller". Now, the price could be a problem, but again, it should be much cheaper to produce a Gamepad now.

Including two different controllers in the box? Now that's an interesting idea... Never thought of that one!

Pro Controllers are probably cheap as dirt to produce, so it wouldn't really up the BOM much...

With the plethora of controller options already available, I don't personally think it's a good idea to throw 2 more into the mix straight out of the box :heh:

I'll probably draw something later but I haven't decided what form it will take yet. As much as I'd love Nintendo to produce something that covers all bases (I'm not entirely sure that's feasible) it can't be something overly complicated.

Keep the designs coming, guys : peace:

What I'd like is simply the Pro Controller shape and layout.

It's face buttons to be sized and spaced the same as they are on the Gamepad (they're too far from the analogue stick on the Pro Controller for my liking but they're positioned perfectly on the Gamepad).

The triggers to be analogue, with the Gamecube pad's digital "click" button at the bottom of the trigger press.

Throw in gyro controls and it'd be the perfect controller for me!

Rumble, USB charge slot and a jack for a headset etc to be in of course too.

Edited by Kav

It's face buttons to be sized and spaced the same as they are on the Gamepad (they're too far from the analogue stick on the Pro Controller for my liking).

The triggers to be analogue, with the Gamecube pad's digital "click" button at the bottom of the trigger press.

Throw in gyro controls and it'd be the perfect controller for me!

That sounds pretty similar to my line of thinking and it would easily allow for VC compatibility with Gamecube games.. and even Dreamcast :grin:

I'd be gutted if they use this as a template for their next controller. I hate the positioning of the right stick. Having it above the buttons is a big no no for me.

I'd be gutted if they use this as a template for their next controller. I hate the positioning of the right stick. Having it above the buttons is a big no no for me.

Haha, it's the best place for me :D

On any game where your thumb remains on the analogue most of the time, ie; shooters, I find it the best fit! I'd much prefer it there for any game really as long as the spacing of the buttons is done correctly, as I posted above.

Edited by Kav

Do you guys think they'll put the NFC reader in the controllers, the console or a separate device? For convenience, I would hope the controllers would have this functionality but in terms of cost, having it as part of the console possibly makes more sense ::shrug:

I've been giving some thought today to Miiverse and can't really see them wanting to deviate too far away from being able to quickly type and draw messages so I'm starting to think a screen on the controller is perhaps likely again, though I would hope much smaller and less costly.

The design in my head is changing all the time :grin:

Haha, it's the best place for me :D with me playing shooters a lot I find it the best fit! I'd much prefer it there for any game really as long as the spacing of the buttons is done correctly, as I posted above.

For me, this is still the best layout.

Xbox-360-S-Controller.png

Everything just feels right about the positioning of the buttons and sticks.

Do you guys think they'll put the NFC reader in the controllers, the console or a separate device?

Definitely. Amiibo are no doubt part of their long term plan and given how much cash they have generated Nintendo will be making sure that they can be used on the NX. The controller is the best option. It saves having to get up when you want to scan something.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
Automerged Doublepost

I do think that is my next preferred layout @Hero\-of\-Time.

The reason I prefer the right analogue over the buttons is that it's a more natural place for your thumb to be positioned and so it feels better when using the analogue.

Buttons are just simple presses. Your thumb need only move to them briefly, for a short tap. Whereas analogue use can be for prolonged periods of time (I appreciate you sometimes hold and repeatedly press buttons, but I feel these instances are on fewer occasion than the general use of the analogue stick).

So for this reason I prefer snapping to the lower position for button presses and having my thumb in the natural position on the analogue for higher fidelity of control.

I remember first seeing the position of the analogue and thinking "I like that" but also thinking that I may have to get used to it, but when I picked it up it felt more natural a position than any controller prior and I immediately preferred it.

Edited by Kav

Having just got home from work, I took a look at the Wii U Pro Controller there and I'm not sure I could really see a small screen fitting into it without either being really small or increasing the size of the controller to undesirable dimensions. You'd also have to wonder about the price, too, if you potentially had to buy four of them for local multiplayer.

The more I consider all of the options available, the less I know what to do :heh: