NEurope
Beast

Weight Loss and Fitness 2016

You should really see a doctor. I don't think you're going to get anything useful from us, just a bunch of second-guessing.

I'm a doctor!

Yeah, I think you'll need to lose that leg.

Did a 75 kg split jerk today. Actually quite pleased with that as it's more than I've ever done and it's even above body weight by 10 per cent.

You should really see a doctor. I don't think you're going to get anything useful from us, just a bunch of second-guessing.

Well went last week, basically I may have a "micro-tear" which is why it's been as it is (when raised the calf muscle on the left leg is rock hard), and my knee has taken to swelling up a bit as well. Been given to ibuprofen gel to apply to myself.

Is it just me or does anyone have this weird mental block when it comes to working out? In my head I make this schedule that I must follow and if for whatever reason I miss a workout, I see it as failure and just go off the rails. I know it's completely irrational but still it always seems to happen. Something I really need to work on, the ability just to shrug off a bad day and aim to get better moving forward.

Is it just me or does anyone have this weird mental block when it comes to working out? In my head I make this schedule that I must follow and if for whatever reason I miss a workout, I see it as failure and just go off the rails. I know it's completely irrational but still it always seems to happen. Something I really need to work on, the ability just to shrug off a bad day and aim to get better moving forward.

Yes. Me too. My wife has scolded me for it several times, stuff like "you don't prioritise me" etc. if I go to a workout for an hour a day. Like an hour matters.... But I've got better at it, not really hitting myself as hard if I don't go as often. I still really try to go every other day now and hate it when something else is responsible for me missing a workout. I can get quite short tempered if I have been forced to miss a workout that I really (felt I) needed.

I used to feel this way, but now I don't. There's more to life than lifting weights or working out and it absolutely isn't everything. I do it because it's fun, but also because of the health benefits. If you miss a day, it's not the end of the world. I've definitely taken a step back and have allowed myself to see the bigger picture. With exercise, you are definitely in it for the long game. Being consistent over a long period of time is key. If you miss a workout here or there because of something cropping up or a clash with another commitment, then you miss it. Sometimes your body can appreciate an extra day off anyway, if you've been consistent up until that point. It's when you stop doing it over a longer period of time when it begins to become a problem. If the days turn into weeks and months, for example. I'd start to get pissed off at that point.

I've had an unofficial weigh-in and I've gained 5lb BUT I'm the same body fat percentage. I've checked it twice and the same result has happened. I've done a lot of weightlifting in the past two weeks but also done cardio. I don't look any different. Actually, I look a bit slimmer. Is this even possible?

I have quite the dilemma regarding fitness.

I'm very happy with my current gym, go there 4 times a week to attend classes and sometimes just training by myself. It's a dedicated crossfit gym meaning that the environment is raw but people going there are engaged in their fitness. It's a, to me, pleasant place to be, people are generally minding their own business, and the teachers are nice and helpful. It's a bit expensive but that's no problem to me. The classes have a max of 15 people so they are rather small groups.

My wife does not like it there. Or in the other, commercial gyms around us for that matter. She has anxiety issues with gyms, going way back to school where she was a bit bigger than many and feared the mandatory gym classes there. Now she has decided to try again with a new gym, smaller with smaller classes, private, more expensive but with a swimming pool (she enjoys swimming, I do not). They have no high intensity classes and their free weights area is very limited - almost everything is done in machines. This is probably a good place for her but the problem is:

She wants me to go with her for a long period of time (>6 months) so she can get to a point where she feels safe to go by herself. She needs a training buddy and has decided that I'm the best one as we live together. I think she's suffering from anxiety related to this - she thinks everyone is judging her, etc.

Now, I'm all for helping her so she can get her fitness on at a place (she's at the moment just going for a run once a week). But she asks me to sacrifice my own fitness where I cannot go to classes that I really enjoy, I cannot train the way I want to by myself, and I fear that I end up being the only one of us that actually goes there - we have tried this before where we decided to train together but after a few times she stopped coming with me because "it was always when I felt for training that we should go".

I want to help her out but I think she's demanding a bit too much from me on that point...

Talk about getting her a PT. My ex had anxiety about the gym but now he has a really good personal trainer, he's more confident in knowing what he's doing and he happily goes of his own volition (I think a big problem is once you're at the gym, not knowing what the 'right' thing to do is, a PT will definitely help with that). Also, PT's are good company to have, a good one is there to help you and understand all your issues, including any kind of discomfort in the gym.

Maybe you can get the occasional day-pass and go with her, too.

At the end of the day, you can't be her motivation. You can support hers but anyone who looks after themselves has their own drive; she needs to be independent as much as she needs you. I think a PT is a good step towards that. Maybe go with her to the first few PT session.

Yeah, I have talked about that to her. Money isn't really that much of a problem and I'll gladly pour some in that direction, but she said no to getting a PT because she wants someone to go with her that she knows. A friend of hers has also had some bad experiences with a PT which further discourages her.

But I'll try to see if I can help her find someone good.

having been a sufferer of anxiety myself, you'd be doing her no favours. If its at a point where its restricting her life she needs to talk to someone, and get some help (be it meds or therapy).

Best thing I ever did was grabbing life by the balls and DOING things rather than hide from them in fear of some unknown nothing.

Thought i'd share a comparison shot. The one in the purple shirt is me NYE 2015 and the other was taken a couple of weeks ago.

I knew I was fat but I didn't think I was THAT bad. I'm also impressed of the gains that I have been making :D

EDwr4a.jpg

I knew I was fat but I didn't think I was THAT bad.

Story of my life. This year has taught me that my perceived fitness is totally way too generous. I thought I was good at the start of the year but after that 6/7 month cut...damn was I carrying fat in a deceptively efficient way.

...And now I want to bulk again I'm mildly terrified. Like, what if I over do it and don't realise it and I just undo a lot of this hard work?! Or if I don't bulk hard enough because I'm worried about that?

Also, again Blade, I am super proud of you. I honestly believe with consistency and determination anyone can make the changes they want and you actually did it and I cannot tell you how great it is to see. I see way too many people hit a wall early on and then kind of just give up.

Edited by Daft

Story of my life. This year has taught me that my perceived fitness is totally way too generous. I thought I was good at the start of the year but after that 6/7 month cut...damn was I carrying fat in a deceptively efficient way.

...And now I want to bulk again I'm mildly terrified. Like, what if I over do it and don't realise it and I just undo a lot of this hard work?! Or if I don't bulk hard enough because I'm worried about that?

Also, again Blade, I am super proud of you. I honestly believe with consistency and determination anyone can make the changes they want and you actually did it and I cannot tell you how great it is to see. I see way too many people hit a wall early on and then kind of just give up.

Genuinely interested. What's your diet like? Do aim to hit specific macros? avoid eating certain things? everything in moderation? TELL ME!!?

Genuinely interested. What's your diet like? Do aim to hit specific macros? avoid eating certain things? everything in moderation? TELL ME!!?

I do intermittent fasting. So I go to the gym fasted at lunch (although I've started having a drink before consisting of 21g of sugar, which is 88kcal, because I got lazy with taking BCAAs before and I felt I needed something...although that might be a mental thing). I then eat after and during an 8-hour 'feeding window', so I tend not to eat after 10pm.

In terms of what I eat...

I make sure to eat protein (meat) and fats (avocado and nuts). Carbs, they're cool. Sugar, I try to avoid although I've got into a dangerous ice cream eating habit recently that I 100% need to stop. I don't count calories or macros, I kind of vaguely estimate.

If I feel I need it I will have a big cheat meal. Likewise, if I'm not really that hungry I will not eat. Occasionally I won't eat until dinner, but that wouldn't be on a gym day.

Basically, I wing it massively. And whatever I'm doing is working.

Well you've managed to implement it into your life, I think thats the biggest part of making it work.

Your gains have been incredible Daft!

Well you've managed to implement it into your life, I think thats the biggest part of making it work.

Your gains have been incredible Daft!

Thanks very much. Yeah, I think that's the biggest part of it. My lunch break at work is the gym. I can't think of any better way to spend that hour (and I'm lucky enough to have a gym right next next door to work so I can fit it in most day – and if not I'll go near my flat after work). And as I've slowly adjust my diet over the years I've just moved to a healthier diet naturally as well as – I think, at least – become more sensitive to what my body needs in terms of quantity.

Also, I really like both fasting and stuffing my face.

I'm trying to bulk now. Which means easing up on Intermittent Fasting. Had been doing it for a couple weeks but I feel like I'm overeating now. My appetite is suddenly massive and I'm snacking and eating and I'm pretty sure I hit 3500 calories one day with ease.

And putting on loads of fat is what I want to avoid.

So I'm scaling it back. I'm back on IF. I'm going to add a post-lunch porridge and another solid 250/300 calorie snack for tea and see how that goes.

Really that's an additional 5-600 calorie daily intake. Which end up an extra 3500-4200 calories a week. Which is a lot.

So yeah, I feel like I've got ahead of myself with this bulk even though I tried not to but it's only been two weeks (this is day 15) so it's a good time to adjust things slightly.

Just came back from the doctors this morning after having a battery of tests over this week. I have avoided going to the doctors for several years which in hindsight was stupid.

Anyway, everything is ok apart from I have high blood pressure, BMI is quite a bit higher than it should be this is a worry as I have heart disease in the family. I told the doctor this is a wake up call for me and will try and lose weight rather than go down taking tablets 6 months or so down the line.

However this time of year is the worse time to start losing weight but I'll start regardless.

I'm not a gym person but I have enough stuff on the Wii to sort this out.

"I can do more for you if you just eat right and exercise regularly". - Dr McCoy

Edited by sumo73

Did an 80 kg full clean yesterday, complete with catching it in a low front squat and pushing it up. Pretty pleased with that, never done that for weights above 70 kg. :)

I'm busy trying to create a masterpiece out of our garage and want to convert it into a home gym. The first thing I'm looking at is matting. As I'd be using free weights and also a cross-trainer, I'm trying to find flooring/matting that would be suitable.

This is what I've seen so far:

Duramat - 1metre x 1 metre and 18mm thick. £26.94

Homegymflooring mats - 1 metre x 1 metre and 18mm thick. £23.99

Heavy duty floor titles - 1 metre x 1 metre and 30mm thick. £25.99

Interlocking gym mats - 17mm thick and 1200x1800mm. £53.00

Heavy Duty Gym Mat. 182cm x 122cm and 1.2cm thick.

There are tons of other similar sorts of ideas out there.

The garage floor is concrete. Basically, we just want something to go over the top of it that will preserve the concrete and not cause too many issues with the structure of the garage/house. I'm looking at power racks/cages and more or less know what I want there. Any ideas with the flooring?

I'm busy trying to create a masterpiece out of our garage and want to convert it into a home gym. The first thing I'm looking at is matting. As I'd be using free weights and also a cross-trainer, I'm trying to find flooring/matting that would be suitable.

This is what I've seen so far:

Duramat - 1metre x 1 metre and 18mm thick. £26.94

Homegymflooring mats - 1 metre x 1 metre and 18mm thick. £23.99

Heavy duty floor titles - 1 metre x 1 metre and 30mm thick. £25.99

Interlocking gym mats - 17mm thick and 1200x1800mm. £53.00

Heavy Duty Gym Mat. 182cm x 122cm and 1.2cm thick.

There are tons of other similar sorts of ideas out there.

The garage floor is concrete. Basically, we just want something to go over the top of it that will preserve the concrete and not cause too many issues with the structure of the garage/house. I'm looking at power racks/cages and more or less know what I want there. Any ideas with the flooring?

I have no idea to which type of flooring you need but I suggest putting something between the concrete and the rubber to isolate and keep the cold off the floor in the winter. Otherwise I imagine it'll be really cold.

---

On another note, I have logged 181 workouts throughout the year, varying between crossfit WODs, outdoor running and weight lifting. That's every second day which is pleasing.