NEurope
Shorty

What's your internet speed like?

Update: On the ethernet cable, it's actually 62mbps out of 60mbps and I'll get a new router that increases the broadband speed from 60mbps to 150mbps for without additional fee except the £5.99 postage pay.

Update: On the ethernet cable, it's actually 62mbps out of 60mbps and I'll get a new router that increases the broadband speed from 60mbps to 150mbps for without additional fee except the £5.99 postage pay.

I don't bereeeiiive you. ;)

With Virgin Media and just got a free upgrade to 70mb/s.

It's awesome. :D

Not quite free when they increase the prices by £4 a month next month.

Edited by James

Virgin Media have doubled their speeds two or three times for us in the past couple of years. I'm quite happy with them.

Not quite free when they increase the prices by £4 a month next month.

They said they'd notify me if they'd be any change and said nothing of the sort when they did. :confused: :p

Virgin Media have doubled their speeds two or three times for us in the past couple of years. I'm quite happy with them.

Speeds are always very consistent as well. Even now I'm getting just over 70 Mbps at this time. Always been very happy with them. :)

I'm guessing that is 5MB/s, not 5Mb/s. 5MB is ~40Mb.

Go here to find your internet speed:

http://www.speedtest.net/

Cheers - I'm never quite sure when it's upper or lower case with these things! That site said I get 60MB/s while I was streaming something. Then I stopped teh stream and it said I get 20MB/s. I'm guessing that's to be expected in a house with 4 people.

They said they'd notify me if they'd be any change and said nothing of the sort when they did. :confused: :p

I got a letter recently saying my bill was going up from February.

It actually works out great for me as I'm moving at the end of the month and have 10 months left on my contract. Now I can get out of it for free. :D

78mbps Download, 28mbps upload.

Wired and over 5ghz Wifi N, I do tend to get around just that. On 2.4ghz Wifi, usually around 20mbps download.

BT Infinity (fibre to the exchange, sadly not to the home yet), in case you're wondering. Generally very solid and stable :) (though we did have a very rough period where almost nothing worked for about 2 months or so last year... It was horrible!)

Course I have to turn off 5ghz every time I play the Wii U because the signal interferes with the Gamepad like crazy! (2.4ghz poses no problems though - the Gamepad itself uses a variant of 5ghz N; hence the interference).

Edited by Dcubed

1657079302.png

Initially I was on 100Mb/s but I got upgraded to 150mb/s for free in November.

Edited by Ike

I got a letter recently saying my bill was going up from February.

It actually works out great for me as I'm moving at the end of the month and have 10 months left on my contract. Now I can get out of it for free. :D

Oh that's bullshit, I don't mind paying a tiny extra £4 any ways but it's pretty shady. :shakehead

Oh that's bullshit, I don't mind paying a tiny extra £4 any ways but it's pretty shady. :shakehead

Just ring them up and tell them sky have been ringing you offering you a better deal, they'll stick some credit to your account.

Cheers - I'm never quite sure when it's upper or lower case with these things! That site said I get 60MB/s while I was streaming something. Then I stopped teh stream and it said I get 20MB/s. I'm guessing that's to be expected in a house with 4 people.

A lower case b means bits (a bit is an atomic unit of digital data, which has two possible states, off or on, sometimes written as 0 or 1, or false or true). An upper case B means bytes, which is a string of eight bits, which has 256 possible states. Generally, when describing an amount of data, we use bytes, so you might see a file being 100MB. Often when talking about small amounts of data, such as the size of a variable in a computer program, we'll still use bits, but we usually actually say "bits" or "n-bit" rather than just simply putting "b". When talking about the speed of data transfer, we use bits per second b/s or for faster speeds, obviously you get into Kb/s, Mb/s, etc.

i know the bits/bites thing but I don't automatically know which one is being used when people say "megs" or "gigs" when talking about stuff. you say talking about "small amounts of data" but the industry clearly has taken advantage of the difference and exploited the idiocy of people like me.

Luckily all their competitors (have to) do the same, so that means that I can compare what I have against others a bit more easily.

i know the bits/bites thing but I don't automatically know which one is being used when people say "megs" or "gigs" when talking about stuff. you say talking about "small amounts of data" but the industry clearly has taken advantage of the difference and exploited the idiocy of people like me.

Luckily all their competitors (have to) do the same, so that means that I can compare what I have against others a bit more easily.

When talking about internet connections, it's always going to be measured in bits per second. My comment about small amounts of data was only for completeness. It's not really relevant when it comes to internet connections.

I got a letter too - they're obliged to inform you in writing before they do it for exactly that reason. Are you sure all your contact details are accurate? I got mine a few weeks back now.

So I found out that house is in the 53rd most deprived area in the whole country out of like 38,000. No kidding.

Looking at a few more now, that have cable :p

I like where I live, but my internet connection is definitely a huge negative :hmm:

If you've seen any of my recent posts in the Splatoon thread, you'll know that I haven't been able to play it online for the last few months as the connection isn't strong enough to see me through a match. It did work before the August update, but it certainly wasn't ideal as characters would be jumping round the screen a bit and it could be difficult to keep track of the action :sad:

My download speed is usually around 2.5-2.8Mbps with an upload speed of 0.2-0.3Mbps. In fairness, I've never really had experience of anything faster but sometimes I can't watch a football match on BT Sport at the same time my wife is watching anything on YouTube or videos on facebook as our internet can't really sustain both.

Generally, everything is OK as I can happily play Mario Kart 8 online, amongst plenty of other games, but Splatoon simply doesn't function 99% of the time now. If you spend a lot of time online, I'd definitely think long and hard about whether you're prepared to drop considerably lower than you're used to. If we ever get the chance to buy a house somewhere down the line instead of renting, internet speed will almost certainly be a factor. Having said that, if the house is great in so many other ways then it sounds like you should go for it :heh:

You're not connected to the big exchange in 'mena are you?

I'm less than a mile away from main ballymena exchange, i get about 16-18mb (with standard broadband package) & its pretty good. Not had any issues with teh online playz.

I've just had a penny drop moment and realised i will probably be joining you in the crappy internet gang when i move to the house i've bought... oh pants :-(

You're not connected to the big exchange in 'mena are you?

I'm less than a mile away from main ballymena exchange, i get about 16-18mb (with standard broadband package) & its pretty good. Not had any issues with teh online playz.

I've just had a penny drop moment and realised i will probably be joining you in the crappy internet gang when i move to the house i've bought... oh pants :-(

Where are you moving to? I'm a few miles away from Ballymena so I'm definitely not operating from there :heh:

Where are you moving to? I'm a few miles away from Ballymena so I'm definitely not operating from there :heh:

Ahoghill.

My parents in galgorm are on ballymena's exchange, regular BB is slow but they have fibre, I'm pretty sure ahoghill's exchange won't support fibre.

I'm renting IN the town (i can see the fairhill from my window) but while the internet is good the area does have its downsides, like parking and noise. So its definitely something you need to weigh up if you're buying.

Ahoghill.

My parents in galgorm are on ballymena's exchange, regular BB is slow but they have fibre, I'm pretty sure ahoghill's exchange won't support fibre.

I'm renting IN the town (i can see the fairhill from my window) but while the internet is good the area does have its downsides, like parking and noise. So its definitely something you need to weigh up if you're buying.

You'll be out closer to my area then.. and no, there's no fibre round these parts :heh:

You'll be out closer to my area then.. and no, there's no fibre round these parts :heh:

Ye friggin culchies... lol. I'm just hoping that cause im on the main street i'll be very close to the exchange and ill get the best speed it has, at least. I could cope with a good 2 or 3mb

So many funny place names in this thread :p

yeah you can imagine how i felt moving here. Also nothings pronounced like you'd expect :wtf:

So I found out that house is in the 53rd most deprived area in the whole country out of like 38,000. No kidding.

Looking at a few more now, that have cable :p

Does that mean we should close this thread? :p

1657079302.png

Initially I was on 100Mb/s but I got upgraded to 150mb/s for free in November.

Nice.

Currently on Virgin after using BT. My current thoughts:

1. Their upload speeds suck ass. 100 down and 6 up is just...what no?

2. They raise their prices far.too.often.

In two years with BT it happened twice, virgin we've had them two months and they've hiked it 3.50. WTF.

I'm going back to BT in October, purely because they tend to offer better upload speeds, handy for video uploading etc. But otherwise I find them pretty good. (if a little unreliable)