NEurope
nekunando

Your 2016 Gaming Diary

@Retro_Link gaming is a hobby and like any hobby it is supposed to give you enjoyment. It doesn't matter if you finish the game or not, especially if you feel you've gotten the most out of it. Just play whatever takes your fancy at the time.

I often have this sort of outlook on things but I don't always follow it :red:

Playing Wave Race: Blue Storm this week was amazing! I wanted to play it, so I did.. and it was glorious :yay: However, I've also spent part of the year going through the whole of Kirby's Adventure, which I didn't enjoy, and failing to get into MadWorld.

There's a certain satisfaction in looking through the games you have and knowing that you've beaten them but sometimes, like with MadWorld, you just have to take a step bak and question why you're forcing yourself to battle through something that is bringing misery to your life :heh:

I had taken a few pictures of my games collection to show to a work colleague yesterday and whilst I looked at it and felt satisfaction at what I've been building up for years, I do often question if I have too many games :shakehead

I've started 2016 on something of a mission to finish of a number of games that I've never cleared. This has been relatively succesful, so far, but I've had a hunger to play both Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Sunshine recently and I've found myself holding back the urge as I almost feel like I have a duty to carry on clearing up the backlog. It shouldn't really be like that :hmm:

There are plenty of amazing games that I would love to revisit or explore further but I feel like it's difficult to find the time to really appreciate what I've got!

Edited by nekunando

Finished the main story mode on Mad Max last night.

I've got one trophy left to get, for the Platinum Trophy, unfortunately its not an easy one to get and with me having done all the objectives in the game, there are not many enemies left to get it.

Had an absolute blast with this game having played it for just under 60 hours. Easily one of my favourite games on the PS4.

There are a few technical issues such as the framerate taking a hit when it all kicks off and the action icon (press x to climb when next to scrap) playing up regularly.

I can look past all those though because I enjoyed it so much. There is just so much to do in this game, its unreal.

Don't know what to do about the final trophy, might have a break from it and tackle it at a later date like I did with Driveclub.

Edited by lostmario

Finished the main story mode on Mad Max last night.

I've got one trophy left to get, for the Platinum Trophy, unfortunately its not an easy one to get and with me having done all the objectives in the game, there are not many enemies left to get it.

Had an absolute blast with this game having played it for just under 60 hours. Easily one of my favourite games on the PS4.

There are a few technical issues such as the framerate taking a hit when it all kicks off and the action icon (press x to climb when next to scrap) playing up regularly.

I can look past all those though because I enjoyed it so much. There is just so much to do in this game, its unreal.

Don't know what to do about the final trophy, might have a break from it and tackle it at a later date like I did with Driveclub.

How many tasks have you left to do? I just checked a trophy guide for it and it mentions it can be a pain if the trophy you're missing is left last.

How many tasks have you left to do? I just checked a trophy guide for it and it mentions it can be a pain if the trophy you're missing is left last.

Quite a few, have to start at the top of the list and work my way down.

Like I said, I might play something else and come back to it. Got a few Playstation Plus games to play.

I finished Digimon Cyber Sleuth (PS4) over the weekend. I'm not sure if I will be getting the Platinum trophy on this one as it seems to a massive grind. I have to find all 500 medals in the game and I only had 120 odd after finishing the main story. No surprise really as Namco have a bad habit of putting stupidly grindy and missable trophies in their RPGs.

I enjoyed the game but my interest did start wearing thin towards the end and the game could have easily been 10 hours shorter. Things got stupidly chatty in the second have of the game and it got to the point where I was just hammering the X button to move the story on.

There are many sidequests in the game and a lot of them are really throw away stuff. Some have you walking back and forth between areas and just talking to NPCs. No battles or anything! Not very satisfying at all.

There are times when the AI is stupidly cheap. You'll be fighting against opponents who are using Digimon that are at lower forms but they are somehow getting faster and more turns than my maxed out level 99 Digimon. :nono:

It's a great game, especially the evolve/devolve mechanic, that is sadly hampered by an overly long story. Still, i'm happy the fan support got the game to these shores and by all accounts it seems to have sold very well.

To the surprise of very little, I decided to follow up Metroid Prime with...

250px-Echoesboxart_(Large).jpg

Well... Yeah, that.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes originally came out in 2004 for the Gamecube and as you can guess, is the sequel to Metroid Prime.

However, just like in my last entry, I played this as part of the Metroid Prime Trilogy collection, which came out on the Wii.

Because of the similarities between this and Metroid Prime, I won't go into detail on stuff that I covered on the first game. Stuff like basic gameplay, how well a backstory is implemented, etc.

Anyway, after Metroid Prime, Samus is sent to planet Aether after some Galactic Federation troops go missing. While landing, her ship is hit by a lightning bolt, rendering her ship unusable while it fixes itself.

So Samus has to find out what happened to these guys, undoubtedly find many goodies to pimp her suit with and maybe blow up the planet for kicks.

At the surface level, Prime 2 seems pretty much like Prime, but like any good sequel, there's a few things to jazz up the game a little.

The main thing is Dark Aether, basically Aether's evil side that damages you just by being in it!

(What is it with Nintendo games and "Dark" stuff?)

When you're in "Aether that is not light" you can recover health by standing in safe zones that Crystals provide. It's not that much different, really. It just tends to restrict your movement when you're fighting stuff.

It becomes more interesting when you encounter a boss that has no safe zones, turning some bouts into a timed affair, upping the intensity a bit.

Speaking of bosses, this game has some great bosses! Prime 1 already had good bosses, but they step up their game in Prime 2.

Early on, some of Samus' upgrades from the previous game are jacked. (Because of course they are) And some of the bosses actually use these against you. It's definitely fun to have your own weapons used against you.

Which brings me to Boost Guardian...

Boost_Guardian.jpg

You'd think this guy was terrible at this game, but...

This is an interesting scenario, ask anyone who has played the original Gamecube version what the hardest boss was. I guarantee they'll say Boost Guardian. It's that hard!

Thankfully, the Wiimote aiming and spring ball technique in Trilogy make it a lot more manageable.

(Forgot to mention this when I was talking about Prime, but there's also an easier difficulty mode added for the 2 gamecube games)

Overall, Prime 2 is definitely the trickiest Metroid Prime game, so I wouldn't recommend it as your first Prime.

If only I told myself that when it first came out, because Prime 2 was the first Metroid Prime game I actually played through. Typical, huh?

The other major difference are the beams.

In every Metroid game, beams never ran out of ammo, but not in Prime 2.

The default Power Beam has infinite ammo, but this game has the Light Beam and the Dark Beam, and these do have ammo.

So instead of the usual question of "What beam should I use?" You also have to ask yourself "Do I want to use up ammo on this?"

It's actually quite impressive how much this changes the gameplay. That ammo is precious, but the beams are quite powerful if used right!

Visually, the game is pretty much the same as Prime, except with more purple, thanks to Dark Aether.

Although the new creature designs are a bit more memorable than Prime, so it's improving. Space Pirates still look trash though.

However, this game has the ugliest Power Suit in Metroid history!

Let's look at it!

250px-Dark_Suit_mp2_Artwork_01.png

Hope you like seeing this for over half of the game!

Ironically, this game also has one of the nicest looking suits as well. You get the Light Suit right near the end of the game.

1854088-lightsuit.jpg

Hope you don't mind only seeing this for about an hour!

Soundtrack is a bit better too, there's a few songs that I would actually class as "Pretty good"

My personal favourite is the Dark Samus (Oh yeah, there's a Dark Samus, she's fun to fight) battle theme.

Playing it again, I'd definitely say that Prime 2 was better than Prime 1, the boss fights are truly enjoyable and the beam mechanic is cool.

The added Wii controls and improved loading times that the WiiU download version once again makes this the best way to play the game!

Just, play Prime 1 first if you've never tried these games, Prime 2 is pretty tough.

And with that...

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - SNES

Shovel Knight - 3DS (Custom Knight amiibo playthrough)

Game & Watch Gallery 2 - GB

Radiohammer - 3DS

Ace Attorney Investigations: Prosecutor's Path - DS

Shovel Knight - WiiU (Co-op run with Dcubed)

Puzzle and Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition - 3DS (Crazy Diamond Wall 2nd Playthrough Difficulty)

Metroid Prime - Wii

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Wii

From Digital Monsters to Pocket Monsters, i've finally finished Pokemon Rumble World (3DS).

IMG_2634_zpsaw6cawwb.jpg

Not much to say other than it's pretty much the same as the rest of the series. ::shrug:

Quick update to my list before I forget what I've played! :heh:

Beat:

in January:____________

Yakuza 5 (PS3) started in 2015

Little Battlers eXperience (3DS) started in 2015

Hardware: Rivals (PS4+) IDbttgi.gif

in February:____________

MHbUwnT.gifDragon Quest Heroes (PS4)

MHbUwnT.gifRocket League (PS4+) beat in 2015 IDbttgi.gif

MHbUwnT.gifRadio Hammer (3DS)

Total: 6

Unfinished:

Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U) started in 2015

MHbUwnT.gifHorizon Chase (iOS)

Yep, finally nabbed that Rocket League platinum. :hehe:

Currently enjoying the post-game content of Dragon Quest Heroes. Can see myself going for the platinum on that one too actually, it's just so much fun. :)

Highly recommended. Those that are unfamiliar with it should check this out:

Currently enjoying the post-game content of Dragon Quest Heroes. Can see myself going for the platinum on that one too actually, it's just so much fun. :)

Highly recommended. Those that are unfamiliar with it should check this out:

Well happy you're enjoying it. Yet another person falls for the charms of DQH. :D

It has been an absolute pleasure to play through The Wolf Among Us. I've really enjoyed TellTale's The Walking Dead (finished both of them last year) and so I bought The Wolf Among Us purely off the back of that. I had a fantastic time playing through this and finished the whole thing in...about 2 days. I couldn't put it down.

The graphical style is a beauty to behold. Very comic book style. The music wouldn't feel out of place in a seedy 80s police thriller and all the better for it! But, the real strength here lies in the characters and the dialogue. TellTale have done a superb job here with all of the backstory for the big characters, as evidenced in the Book of Fables section. I was eager to find out as much as I could about the characters, with lots of little details or one-liners thrown in there that tell you so much about the world that has been crafted in front of your eyes.

Highly recommended. I would say that the final episode is just as good as anything that I've played in The Walking Dead. Particularly that "court" sequence and that ending. :o

Overall, I'm glad to have played through it. Sad to have finished it. Definitely want more from this universe.

Games of 2016

Flower - Finished

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Finished

The Unfinished Swan - Finished

Grim Fandango Remastered - Finished

Race The Sun - Finished

The Wolf Among Us - Finished

Ugh... Boost Guardian... Oh the nightmares that still plague my soul...

They actually did go and make it easier in later versions (because even they could obviously tell that he was just too much boost to handle), but he's still no joke, even with the enhanced Wii controls giving you an advantage.

Oh and great shoutout to Nintendo's doppelgänger fetish back in the GCN era @Glen\-i. Hell, just in that year alone (2004), we saw the introduction of Dark Samus, Shadow Link, Shadow Peach, Dark Kirby, Dark Metaknight AND Louie (ok, maybe not till Pikmin 3, but it still counts ;) ). Never mind that just a few years back, we also had Shadow Mario and the SAX (yes, that's right; two different Samus doppelgängers within two years!)... Yeah... A bit much me thinks!

Thankfully Nintendo laid off of it and never sought to delve back into that incredibly overused trope agai...

tumblr_inline_nkevw7vK9c1sbyd4z.png

... oh.

Edited by Dcubed

Overall, I'm glad to have played through it. Sad to have finished it. Definitely want more from this universe.

Well, good news! There's a 150-issue Fables comic book series. :p

I hope you were nice to Mr. Toad, because he dies in the comic:

Mr.%20Toad_zpsywzoiefk.png

(It's fine, though - he's not a proper character and only appears once or twice in the background.)

Didn't have a lot of time to do some gaming in the past weeks. :(

I managed to play Crypt of the Necrodancer a bit, but couldn't make any progress :laughing:

Over the weekend I've taken advantage of the double-double-xp in Call of Duty: Black Ops III Multiplayer. I've reached the max level once and started Prestige 1. I consider that as a "completed game". :p I'll continue playing it, though (probably not going to bother with the singleplayer...maybe co-op).

Also: My girlfriend and I have finished Super Mario 3D World. We collected every star and stamp. And we (I) also completed Champion's Road.

Divinity: Original Sin is officially on hold now. It's far too huge to play right now. :laughing:

Hoping to spend some more time This War of Mine: The Little Ones next weekend. :)

Currently Playing

Crypt of the Necrodancer (PS4/PSVita) long-term playthrough

This War of Mine: The Little Ones (PS4)

Completed

January

Bastion (PS4/PSVita) IDbttgi.gif

Tearaway (PSVita) IDbttgi.gif

Transistor (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Life is Strange (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Ether One (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Tales from the Borderlands (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Defense Grid 2 (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Grimd Fandango Remastered (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Rogue Legacy (PSVita) "last-trophy-run" IDbttgi.gif

Dust: An Elysian Tale (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

February

The Wolf Among Us (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Multiplayer (PS4) Prestige 1

Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)

Put on hold

GTA: Vice City (PS4)

Divinity: Original Sin (PS4)

I finished Unchartered 2this evening. It's a fantastic game. I enjoyed playing though it. I've posted more thoughts on the thread.

I had the urge today to play Injustice: Gods Among Us, particularly the story as I really enjoyed it when I played it through on the WiiU. I've actually got the game three times now; one WiiU copy, a PS4 copy (ultimate edition) thanks to @Ashley and I also got the digital version when it was free on PS+.

The game is fantastic and the story was just as great as I remember it. The gameplay itself is very solid. I love the way that the characters move and how fluid the attacks are at times. By far, my favourite thing about the game is the wager system. Basically, it's a system where you "clash" with your opponent's mid-battle and can gain health or deal damage depending on how much of your bar you bet. It's particularly great because there are unique pieces of dialogue (trash talk) that the characters give and the responses are unique depending on who they are coming up against. Just...so, so good!

My only criticism of the game is that I wish that there were a few more stages or a variation in locations. I can forgive this because the locations are directly taken out of the story mode and most of them have layers that you can transition between. However, if there is to be a sequel, I'd love more stages and definitely more transitions. :D

Overall, it's actually one of my personal favourite fighters. Partly because of the character list, but also because of the way it plays. At least, I'm a fan of it. :D

Games of 2016

Flower - Finished

Race The Sun - Finished

Injustice: Gods Among Us - Story Finished

Finished, platted and 100% all of Gravity Rush and its dlc. Best game I've played this year :bowdown: Loved the gameplay, the way of storytelling and artwork. Thought the gravity powers was very fun and worked almost flawlessly. The game was so much fun. Good to hear there's a sequel coming.

Also finished Firewatch. It's not bad, but it's not very good either. It's mostly a journey through red, yellow and orange. I know there's a lot of praise for the dialouge and the relationship, but I didn't think it was any special.

Also finished Flower. It's good I guess, but I guess I'm not as impressed as most others. Don't get me wrong, I love indie games of many types, but these two don't make the top of my list. Will get 100% some other time as the last level glitched on me.

I gave up on GTA San Andreas. I love GTAV and San Andreas was my favourite(or the only one I actually played) of the triology on PS2 but it so old and ugly now :p Unlike Rogue Galaxy I don't think it aged too well.

Instead I will give FF Type 0 another try. Again. I really hate that last chapter, both story and gameplay wise. Will level up all of the characters by using the glitch, to level 50 or till I get bored, then gived the dreaded last chapter another try.

Lego the Hobbit - platinum

Star Wars Battlefront - lv 50, waiting for sale on season pass

Grim Fandango - platinum

Rogue Galaxy - platinum

Gravity Rush - platinum

Firewatch - 100%

Flower - finished

Edited by Tales

I've been playing Peggle 2 occasionally in the past few weeks. Fun little game to boot up while watching football :D

Just got the Platinum, so the game's done. : peace:

Currently Playing

Completed

January

February

Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Multiplayer (PS4) Prestige 2

Peggle 2 (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Put on hold

I nabbed the IDbttgi.gif on Digimon Cyber Sleuth (PS4) last night. Man, what a grind it was. I think I spent another 15-20 hours on it after finishing the game just to get those stupid medals. You are essentially left to the RNG gods and you have to hope and pray that the ones you need drop from either the machines, monsters or searching quests. :cry:

Finished a couple of games today.

First up is Resident Evil 3 (Vita). I was inspired Aneres' post in the Resident Evil HD thread and also by the new cosplay shots of Julia Voth, the actress who the face model for Jill in Resident Evil HD. Gaf had the shots and they aren't for the faint of heart.

juliavothjillvalentine014jpg-0d6f89_765w.jpg

XdkBiR3.jpg

a0p4gltw7ivve9ketgek.jpg

gzrhuqznbrxom18bx44v.jpg

qjf3bu9zouvcrlt5u9xq.jpg

nZgi1iM-noscale.jpg

3GJQUo1-noscale.jpg

Anyway, on to the game. :D

I love the old school Resident Evil games. The gameplay, atmosphere, music, characters, everything about them I adore. While the 3rd game does get a bit of stick for feeling like a spin off ( which it originally was ) it still feels like a Resident Evil game, unlike RE4.

Some of the dialogue is fantastic, as expected in these older games. The final line of " STARS? I'll give you STARS!" is amazing.:grin: The quote from Carlos about his accent driving women crazy is absolutely hilarious.

I remember when this first came out on the PSOne and I went through the game 15 times within a week just to unlock all the special endings. By the time I was finished I knew the game in and out.

It was great revisiting the game again, even more so having it on the Vita. Just being all tucked up in bed and playing it with the headphones in was top notch.

IMG_2645_zpsprfgxnrk.jpg

IMG_2653_zpsilmeoakq.jpg

IMG_2655_zpskjam01fb.jpg

Next up is 3D Space Harrier (3DS). Out of respect for the recently deceased Akira Saito, I decided to buy and play a Sega 3D Classic. It was a toss up between this and OutRun but decided that this was the way to go as I have never finished it before.

I was going to do some Miiverse posts but strangely I couldn't find the Miiverse for the game. The US seems to have one though. ::shrug:

IMG_2658_zpsgiesq0tp.jpg

IMG_2661_zps01e9caqg.jpg

Playing the game sent me straight back to the arcades at Blackpool. Happy days.

The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone

I'm a massive fan of Wild Hunt and I've been anticipating this for quite some time. I bought the special edition of this that came complete with the Gwent cards, which made me hnnnnngggg all over the place. I've spent a bit of time waiting for the right moment to get back into this...which is now!

Fantastic piece of DLC that offers as much content (if not more) than other whole games. I loved the storyline behind this, I loved the characters, I loved the additions that they made to the world and I loved the types of quests and moments that occurred. I couldn't put this down. I'm now eagerly awaiting the next expansion, which is my most anticipated thing that I'm looking forward to this year. 10/10, perfect, amazing, fabulous, hnnnnnnggg.

Games of 2016

Flower - Finished

Race The Sun - Finished

Injustice: Gods Among Us - Story Finished

The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone

So, the game I can't stop talking about: Crypt of the Necrodancer

I have completed Zone 4 with the first character just now. :D I think it took me at least 15 hours to beat the 4 zones with her. I consider that as completed, because I got to see the credits with a cliffhanger "The End...?" moment :laughing:

Now I don't know what to do next. Try to beat All-Zones-Mode with the first character, or finish each Zone with the newly unlocked one?

Anyway, favourite game of 2016 so far. : peace:

Currently Playing

Completed

January

February

Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Multiplayer (PS4) Prestige 2

Peggle 2 (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Crypt of the Necrodancer (PS4) Cadence+Melody Zones 1-4

Put on hold

Edited by drahkon

I played through and platinumed The Mark of Kri (PS4) over the weekend. I loved this back on the PS2, although I never did finish it. Having played through it I can now see why I never saw the credits screen.

The game starts off great, with satisfying combat and many a stealth section. By the end of the game it just essentially becomes like a Dynasty Warriors game, except not as fast or fluid. It really becomes a chore to play.

Visually the games characters are stunning. It has a very Disney feel to it and the animations are top notch. Most of the cut scenes are played out with the scenes being drawn as a voice over tells the story. It's a great way to do things and watching the art being drawn is a nice touch.

The%20Mark%20of%20Kritrade_20160221153405_zpshwbimneq.jpg

The%20Mark%20of%20Kritrade_20160221065936_zpsmacxrra0.jpg

The%20Mark%20of%20Kritrade_20160221064034_zps2dmtsdeg.jpg

The%20Mark%20of%20Kritrade_20160221064000_zpsdgyyetir.jpg

The%20Mark%20of%20Kritrade_20160220154953_zpse0hqam40.jpg

The%20Mark%20of%20Kritrade_20160220151212_zpsnjeumzkw.jpg

The%20Mark%20of%20Kritrade_20160220150938_zpsxasueqse.jpg

The%20Mark%20of%20Kritrade_20160220150851_zpsez6l3c1s.jpg

The%20Mark%20of%20Kritrade_20160220150127_zpswyk3ythi.jpg

The%20Mark%20of%20Kritrade_20160221080136_zpsro7ordop.jpg

That was platinum 98. Nearing that milestone of 100....

That was platinum 98. Nearing that milestone of 100....

Sorry if I already asked, but do you plan on getting a special Platinum as your 100th?

Sorry if I already asked, but do you plan on getting a special Platinum as your 100th?

I was thinking about it but i'm not sure what would be a good game for my 100th. I have still yet to get the platinum on FFX, so I may do the final grind for that.

Feels like ages since I managed to get enough free time together to play something but sat down at the weekend and finished up Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on the PS4.

Had previously played it when it was released back in 2013 on the 360 but had been having a hankering for playing through it again and as I thought there'd been enough time lapsed since I last played it, I jumped on it.

And still as good as it was back when it was released. I never really played any of the original Tomb Raider titles prior to this so this was originally my first one that I properly played but I loved it. The little bits of the older PS1 titles that I played felt clunky and just a bit boring to me but here with this, it handles a lot better, owing obviously to what Uncharted brought to the table.

Though I will say, it doesn't handle as well as the latter two Uncharted games, they are more mechanically sound than this where there is occasion where Tomb Raider doesn't quite do what you want or expect and doesn't quite feel as fluid at times but this may well be a factor of it being a last gen port as it does definitely feel like a previous gen title even with the slight improvements to some of the visuals. Did feel as though it had lost a little of the lustre that it had when it was released and the ending felt a bit over the top and lacked the impact that the early game had.

It still plays extremely well though and there are some great moments in there. Has got me champing at the bit to get my hands on Rise of the Tomb Raider, sucks that it won't hit the PS4 till November (don't have a XBOne and my PC won't run it :().

Completed

January

Axiom Verge (Started Dec. 2015)

Three Fourths Home: Extended Edition

Resogun* (Rookie complete, 3 difficulty settings to go)

Super Exploding Zoo

Among The Sleep

Amplitude

Just Cause 3 (Started Dec. 2015)

Fallout 4 (Started Nov. 2015)

Flower

February

The Witness (Platinum get)

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Have put in some time with a few other games as well. Started Unravel but must say I'm not feeling it so far. Stuck on the third level and while I know what to do, it's just a bit too fiddly for my liking so far. Reminds me a lot of LittleBigPlanet in the way it plays. Also started up Submerged after I picked it up on sale. Would've liked it at a lower price but what I've played is ok so far. Not a lot to it but somewhat enjoyable. Also putting in some time on Need For Speed, the new one, and Rainbow Six Siege so plenty to keep me going :grin: