NEurope
nekunando

Your 2016 Gaming Diary

So, getting the Defense Grid 2 Platinum is slowly turning into a hope for RNGesus to be kind to me...

You need at least one augmentation for each tower (there are 9 towers). I have several augmentations for 8 and NONE for the remaining tower...:blank: And I keep getting augmentations for those freaking 8 towers...

I still need 60 more gold medals on missions, which provides me with 30-40 opportunities to get the desired unlock during regular progress to the Platinum.

At least with Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls there is no more RNG involved. I can just sit back, open spotify or listen to GameGrumps in the background and level up my two remaining Characters. : peace:

Already thinking about what to play next. I might make a habit of playing two games simultaneously (depending on how complex the games are).

I think I'll get Rogue Galaxy, because I always wanted to play this. Then I need a game from my backlog.

I will handle Crypt of the Necrodancer like I handled The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth: Play a couple of runs per day. Play the shit out of the game while commuting :D The Platinum will probably be a long term investment :)

I completed and platinumed Final Fantasy VII (PS4 port)

Still a magical game with an excellent story and a sense of adventure. I even got used to the crappy graphics after a while. Not much to say about this that hasn't been said already. I really enjoyed getting the platinum.

For me, what has dated is the turn based play and grinding. I think I have been spoilt with the witcher and modern gaming that I prefer the type of gameplay seen in The Witcher. I also prefer how that game deals with the grind. It is all personal preference though.

FFVII is undoubtedly the best 3D old-skool 90s RPG ever made with the best opening to any game i've played. A masterpiece!

Roll on the remake!! :D

I think I'm the only person in the world that thinks FFVII is turd.

...only because I hate turn-based games though. I appreciate it's a brilliant game, but it's not for me.

I'm burning through quite a few games at the start of 2016 and still feel on target to beat 6 games I've had in my sights throughout January. I do, however, have a serious build-up of RPGs across a variety of systems that I probably need to start whittling down over the next few months and years :shakehead

Final Fantasy VII (PS1) is certainly amongst those but with Skies of Arcadia (DC) and Paper Mario (N64) to finish and things like Super Mario RPG (SNES), Chrono Trigger (SNES), Tales of Symphonia (GC), Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GC), Breath of Fire IV (PS1) and Kingdom Hearts (PS2) yet to begin, the RPG pile is absolutely daunting :blank:

Xenoblade Chronicles was my big undertaking last year so I reckon I'll have to give similar treatment to one or two of these games during 2016, probably starting in February!

Finished Little Battlers eXperience on 3DS, but I remain disappointed with this game.

It had the potential to be awesome, but so many elements of the gameplay go underutilised. :blank:

Other than on a handful of occasions, I had no need whatsoever to customise my LBX, or consider attack types or tactics. I assume the gameplay was intentionally dumbed-down with its younger target audience in mind, but it's a shame as I really like the concept of LBX. ::shrug:

I think online play would've made a big difference though, so if we ever do get the sequels over here I'll probably check them out.

Also played through PS+ freebie, Hardware: Rivals on PS4.

It's a game that definitely needed slightly more development time as it's quite rough around the edges, but the fundamentals are pretty much spot-on I reckon. Once you get used to how it plays, and providing you can find (and manage to stay in) a busy match, the game is actually a lot of fun.

I'll certainly be keeping it installed and checking out any new content in the future. :)

Beat:

in January:____________

Yakuza 5 (PS3) started in 2015

MHbUwnT.gifLittle Battlers eXperience (3DS) started in 2015

MHbUwnT.gifHardware: Rivals (PS4+) IDbttgi.gif

Total: 3

Unfinished:

Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U) started in 2015

I think I'm the only person in the world that thinks FFVII is turd.

...only because I hate turn-based games though. I appreciate it's a brilliant game, but it's not for me.

Get the remake when its released. It doesn't look like its going to be turn based.

Defense Grid 2 Platinum get! : peace: Great tower defense game. A nice change of genre from what I've been playing in recent months.

Re-installed Rogue Legacy on my Vita again as I'm missing the most difficult trophy. Let's see how long it'll take me after a very long break from this :D

As soon as I'm done with that I'll start my Grim Fandango playthrough. : peace:

And Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls will continue to get a couple of hours per week of my free time :)

Currently Playing

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4)

Rogue Legacy (PSVita) "last-trophy-run"

Completed

January

Bastion (PS4/PSVita) IDbttgi.gif

Tearaway (PSVita) IDbttgi.gif

Transistor (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Life is Strange (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Ether One (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Tales from the Borderlands (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Defense Grid 2 (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny (PS2) is done :hehe:

box-onimusha-2-samurais-destiny-ps2.jpg

It's been a good few years since I played through the original Onimusha but I'm pretty sure I preferred it to this one. The bosses at the end seemed to take an awful lot of slashes before finally meeting their doom!

With MadWorld on Wii the only other game I had targetted for finishing in January, there's certainly a chance that I may get it and something else cleared before the end of the month :grin:

Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny (PS2) is done :hehe:

box-onimusha-2-samurais-destiny-ps2.jpg

It's been a good few years since I played through the original Onimusha but I'm pretty sure I preferred it to this one. The bosses at the end seemed to take an awful lot of slashes before finally meeting their doom!

With MadWorld on Wii the only other game I had targetted for finishing in January, there's certainly a chance that I may get it and something else cleared before the end of the month :grin:

Love that game. Easily the best one of the series for me, although I do prefer Samanosuke over Jubei.

The partner system was such a great feature. The cutscenes and endings change depending on what items you give your partners and how strong your relationship is with them.

I'm hoping these games come out as part of the PS2 collection on the PS4. A recent trademark renewal from Capcom gives me hope.

Re-installed Rogue Legacy on my Vita again as I'm missing the most difficult trophy. Let's see how long it'll take me after a very long break from this :D

Nevermind. Even after that more-than-a-year-long break I've realised that I've played this way too much. :laughing: I might go back to that at one point in my life...or not... ::shrug:

And now it's time to decide...Rogue Legacy or GTA: Vice City. @Hero\-of\-Time said that the latter has no updated controls, i.e. no method to control the camera with the right stick...this may make my decision easier...however, I'm not sure if I'm in the mood for a big RPG.

ce68daa678e5b1a1bcc3215b47386c7b.jpg

Edit: Oh, forgot that I wanted to play Grim Fandango :D So no new game for me.

Currently Playing

Grimd Fandango Remastered (PS4)

Completed

January

Stopped playing

January

I've been making my way through A Boy & His Blob (PS4). Man, I love this game. :heart: It's such a chilled out experience and still one of the most charming games i've ever played.

I'm about halfway through the main game but stopped playing the main story and decided to tackle some challenge levels instead. These offer a new experience for me as I don't think I ever played these levels on the Wii version.

For some reason I decided to play Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) last night. Its been a while since I played the game but I jumped straight back into it as if I had never been away.

I went straight on to the online mode and sat and played with randomers for a good hour. I managed to win a few races and got screwed over many times. On one occasion I had lead for the entire race, only to be peppered with shells of every colour on the last corner. :D

For some reason I decided to play Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) last night. Its been a while since I played the game but I jumped straight back into it as if I had never been away.

I went straight on to the online mode and sat and played with randomers for a good hour. I managed to win a few races and got screwed over many times. On one occasion I had lead for the entire race, only to be peppered with shells of every colour on the last corner. :D

Should've joined us in the N-E League, you could've got screwed over many more times! :grin:

Seriously, it was insane last night. ;)

Should've joined us in the N-E League, you could've got screwed over many more times! :grin:

Nah. I don't like the whole keeping track of points and who wins thing. I much prefer working with those I know and play with, rather than against them.

Insanely AWESOME :grin:

It's great fun with 12 players competing.. especially when none of my most disliked courses come up :heh:

Halfway through Grim Fandango. Not my kind of game, even though I like the occasional point-and-click adventure.

Will push through for the Platinum, though.

Made good progress with Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls. 11 more levels with my Witch Doctor and 160 bounties to go. : peace:

As soon as I am done with one of these games I'll start GTA Vice City :yay:

I put MadWorld on for an hour or so there as I'm pretty near the end of it, I think, but do you know what? I don't even like it :nono:

At this point, I don't even think I'm going to bother finishing it as I've had it for about 6 years and my save file is sitting at 2:43 despite trying to get into it loads of times throughout that time. It's so dull and monotonous and I just had two attempts at racking up points in a stage, taking more than 20 minutes each time, only to die and have to repeat the process all over again. It's such a chore and I reckon I may end up selling it.. or even giving it away! I'm sick of looking at it on my shelf and thinking that I must get back to it to finish it..

NO! I've had enough :mad:

Grim Fandango Remastered is completed. Story was good, the rest wasn't really for me. :hmm: Well, it was free so...:D

Currently Playing

Completed

January

Grimd Fandango Remastered (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Stopped playing

January

I put MadWorld on for an hour or so there as I'm pretty near the end of it, I think, but do you know what? I don't even like it :nono:

At this point, I don't even think I'm going to bother finishing it as I've had it for about 6 years and my save file is sitting at 2:43 despite trying to get into it loads of times throughout that time. It's so dull and monotonous and I just had two attempts at racking up points in a stage, taking more than 20 minutes each time, only to die and have to repeat the process all over again. It's such a chore and I reckon I may end up selling it.. or even giving it away! I'm sick of looking at it on my shelf and thinking that I must get back to it to finish it..

NO! I've had enough :mad:

I've tried around 4 times to play through this game and I just couldn't do it. I found the repetitive gameplay and excessive use of bad language just boring and ridiculous. After all these years it still remains unbeaten.

I've tried around 4 times to play through this game and I just couldn't do it. I found the repetitive gameplay and excessive use of bad language just boring and ridiculous. After all these years it still remains unbeaten.

It's definitely reassuring that I'm not the only one :heh:

As for the swearing, there was a moment last night when Greg Proops repeated the same line about a dozen times in a row.. and it wasn't even funny the first time :blank:

Anyway, I awoke this morning with the feeling that I may give it one last opportunity tonight to at least see if I can beat the current stage, The Facility.

My first game of 2016 is completed and it's a bluddy great game, too.

Flower

Initially, I started it up and found the motion controls a bit fiddly. However, the more of it I played, the more it grows on you and quickly becomes very special. The music and visuals both help a lot, both of which are absolutely top tier. There's one level that I really, really, reeeeally enjoyed (the pink flower, third one, I think) that will definitely be one of the highlights of my year, no doubt at it.

Incredible game. I've been meaning to play it for a long time and it's lived up to the hype, for me. I get the same sort of joy from this that I did from Journey, which was also just incredible.

Games of 2016

Flower - Finished

Aaaaaaand there it is. The trophy with the most creative name...

"Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Platinum" :D

Great game, I've played it to death on PC 2 years ago. Enjoyed it just as much on PS4. Money well spent. : peace:

Time for GTA: Vice City :)

The lady will spend the night and we'll get back to Super Mario 3D World. Basically the only reason why I still have my Wii U...

I've looked through my PS4 library and found PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate. I've had it since 2014 (I think) but never really played it...looked up the trophy list to see if it might be fun to get the Platinum and it seems like it could be :D

A couple of online trophies which I have boosted last night, so it's all in singleplayer now. Downloaded the Vita version and may properly start this in a couple of weeks.

Currently Playing

GTA: Vice City (PS4)

Completed

January

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Stopped playing

January

Edited by drahkon

Just finished and nabbed all the trophies from A Boy and His Blob (PS4). Fantastic game that, thanks to its amazing art style, hasn't aged a bit. I probably enjoyed this version more than the Wii one, due to the trophies and all the challenge levels. Well worth the money.

Next up is Tales from the Borderlands (PS4). Hopefully it's as good as everyone made it out to be.

I can now declare Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception as my second finished game of 2016. Wooooo.

Here's what I said in the Uncharted thread:

Finished the game yesterday! Blitzed through to the end. I'm definitely thinking that this is my favourite Uncharted game and one of my favourites ever.

The ending for this is a lot less...crazy than the other two games. You have those djinn soldiers, but there was no shitty boss fight or things didn't get absurd like they did in the first game.

The desert location at the end was stunning. Absolutely fantastic.

That plane sequence was great, including the car on the runway bit beforehand.

Escaping the ship was just fantastic! :D

Music was gorgeous. Characters were funny, yet had depth to them. Visually, it's one of the finest games I've played.

Playing it on an easier difficulty is the way to go. Less hassle.

There are still one or two moments where they pack in a few too many enemies for my liking, although this was nowhere near as bad as the other games. It felt fine here except for that one sequence in the desert a few moments after you've rescued Sully. Before you get to the gates/doorway.

The ship graveyard section is terrible. But, what follows it eventually makes up for it. Still, worst part of the game for me.

...that's about it really. I loved everything else.

My order for the games goes 3>2>1. Although, I might have preferred the locations in two? I'm not sure yet. Will play through them all again at some point.

Games of 2016

Flower - Finished

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Finished

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Started GTA: Vice City :D Instant nostaliga. And I feel old...:(

Looked up whether there are missable trophies and there aren't : peace: There is one trophy, however, which should be done immediately after starting a new game.

You need $10.000.000 and 1.000.000 points to get the Godfather criminal rating.

Easiest method: Get the money with a mission that's available from the start. Done that, I am now sitting at $52 mil :laughing:

Then get to the second island via an exploit and collect 80 hidden packages...well, I may do that today.

And after that: shooting at a car with the helicopter you get from collecting the 80 packages for a couple of hours...rubberbanding the R1 button is helpful :D

Not sure if I'll be able to get to the last point today in order to let the grind run during the night.

Already looking forward to being done with that trophy and enjoying the game without thinking about trophies. :bowdown:

Edit: Urgh, collecting the packages is annoying...but it's late and I'm quite tired. Maybe not the kind of thing you should do when you're almost sleeping :D

Currently Playing

GTA: Vice City (PS4)

Completed

January

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4) IDbttgi.gif

Stopped playing

January

Edited by drahkon

Another game finished! I was going play Grim Fandango Remastered but realised that I hadn't downloaded it to my console yet. I thought I'd play a little something in between whilst that was downloading, so I had a browse before deciding on playing...The Unfinished Swan.

I know nothing about this game. @Eenuh has played this, but I hadn't got around to it yet. I think @Retro_Link was telling us to play it as he's a fan?

Anyway, what can I say? The game is absolutely wonderful. Beautiful music. Gorgeous, yet minimalistic visuals and a pretty good story behind it, too. A perfect Sunday afternoon game, to be honest.

Highly recommended. Although, I imagine the majority of people have played this by now. Definitely enjoyed my time with this game. It's been a pretty cool start to 2016!

Games of 2016

Flower - Finished

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Finished

The Unfinished Swan - Finished